View Full Version : Shop to rebuild old Ford tranny?

08hybridok
09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Any reccomendations on a shop to have a '65 Ford automatic C4 transmission rebuilt at a good price (~$500)?

It was supposedly rebuilt 2 yrs ago, only put about 1k mi on it and it's slipping again. Shop won't do anything for me (let them know within a year, and 700mi).

I don't think a chain store would be best for an 'old school' tranny, but open to opnions and suggestions.

Prefer SW OKC (airport district) but open to other areas as well.

If I can get an all purpose shop, I also need a new exhaust from the manifold back.

Thanks
Bryan

stick47
09-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Talk to Doc at Allisons Transmissions on S May.

Allison's Transmission Service
3420 South May Avenue
Oklahoma City, OK 73119-1734
(405) 681-5618

08hybridok
09-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Thanks! It's great to talk to someone who knew it's a 'green dot' w/o telling them more than 64, Ford, C4 :)
~$750 R&R & rebuild, about what I estimate, but I want quality, not lowest price.

Thunder
09-13-2010, 11:00 AM
You want quality? You just had someone recommend you a shop. You were given a fairly good price. And you want quality?! You complain of low price?! Listen up, lower prices does not always mean lower quality. Now, get yourself down to that shop and get your truck serviced. You don't know the quality until it is all done. Then come back to share your experience.

SoonerBent
09-13-2010, 11:19 AM
Allison's has been around a long time. I've used them and known others who have also. All have been happy.

stick47
09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
I think Thunder misunderstood the OPs second post. I read it to mean that the price was a bit more then he hoped but felt that the shop would provide a quality job.
FWIW about 20 yrs ago, Doc came to my house with his friend who I hired to hang sheetrock in my shop. I worked alongside the two of them for the weekend so I have a pretty good idea that Doc will treat you right if you have your cars transmission worked on there.

08hybridok
09-13-2010, 11:29 AM
You want quality? You just had someone recommend you a shop. You were given a fairly good price. And you want quality?! You complain of low price?! Listen up, lower prices does not always mean lower quality. Now, get yourself down to that shop and get your truck serviced. You don't know the quality until it is all done. Then come back to share your experience.

That was not the intent of my reply. What I was trying to say is $750 seems like a good price, and I expect quality due to the fact he knew what I had with just a few keywords. He also said he just finished one recently, and has some rare parts in stock as well.

I'll probably go there as soon as I get some cash in my pocket, but it's not a rush as it's my Sunday driver.

The other shop I used downtown has been around for a long time too. They said they sent it out somewhere else to be rebuilt, but didn't give the name of that shop. I'm begining to not like this shop due to the fact they carged a family member like $60 for a simple oil change, and about 1.5-2yrs ago they replaced the water pump, & on this recent visit for an oil change said it needed a water pump again. Could be a 05 Sport Trac burns thru water pumps, but this shop always seems to find something else wrong.

Allison's sounds close enough I can drive to as well. He said he has a carry out for $550, not sure if that was with a core, and I could probably do a R&R myself, just would be difficult as I don't have a lift or tall jackstands to get the clearance needed. Besides $200 labor to have the whole car in the shop to do a test to properly check everything out and make adjustments on the vehicle is definatly worth it in my book!

bluedogok
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I think most decent shops could rebuild a C4, they were made up to 81-82 so there are a bunch of them out there.