View Full Version : Airport Road

bombermwc
09-10-2010, 06:31 AM
OK, can someone tell me why we are spending money repaving Airport Road? The construction signs went up yesterday for it to start tonight. I drive that road every day and it's perfectly fine. It's not new road smooth, but it's still way better than a lot of the roads out there. Seems like that moeny would be better spent on one of those stretches that are more pothole than road. It's state highway, so you can't tell me there is a project more in need somewhere in the state....

Kerry
09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
This isn't the sign they put up is it?

http://www.xerraireart.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/stimsigns.jpg

PennyQuilts
09-10-2010, 06:36 AM
I saw those signs, too. I wonder if they are going to add some guardrails to some areas or still have some work on the over/under passes? I'd like to know, too.

bombermwc
09-10-2010, 06:43 AM
They repainted the under structure of the bridges a few months ago...which was a total traffic nightmare. They did not, however, work on Meridian right there. The city has repaved Meridian all the way down to the airport from 29th now. But they left out the part right at the bridge...ugh.

If it's that kind of money, just seems like they could have picked a more needed project than this one.

PennyQuilts
09-10-2010, 06:46 AM
They repainted the under structure of the bridges a few months ago...which was a total traffic nightmare. They did not, however, work on Meridian right there. The city has repaved Meridian all the way down to the airport from 29th now. But they left out the part right at the bridge...ugh.

If it's that kind of money, just seems like they could have picked a more needed project than this one.

Yup. I avoided Airport Road when they were doing the underpasses. I agree with you - it is a terrific road and I'm perplexed at what they need to repair. I think Kerry may have just been teasing. But maybe it is just money they have to spend and think it will serve as a stimulus. I hope not.

Kerry
09-10-2010, 06:51 AM
If the money came from the federal government who know what kind of stings and regulations were attached. Maybe the state got a grant to re-pave primary access roads to commercial airports.

Jesseda
09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
I take that road daily to work at the airport, it would have been nice if they would have put cones out when they sprayed a layer of tar on the road, a lot of cars including mine has tar all around the wheel area and splashed on the doors!!! Plus the road was fine a lot better then other roads around the oklc area, a bunch of jus employees out at the airport dont understand why they spent so much money on something that was not even a big problem..

bombermwc
09-13-2010, 06:50 AM
^ my point exactlly. It's a state road, so it's not like it's a federal interstate project. If it's stimulus money, why not use it on one of those countless states highways out in rural oklahoma that are one big tar-filled crack? Granted, Airport Rd. is short in comparison to many highways, but that's still several miles that could be updated somewhere. And we're talking repaving, not building or anything. But a few million on something like that just seems like it should go somewhere where the road already sucks.

I have seen the road analyzer trucks around town lately as well...on city streets. Seems interesting.