View Full Version : OKC CoR Billboard ("Don't believe in God?")

scientia_et_humanitas
09-09-2010, 05:24 PM
I would post the link but I'm a new member. I came here to hear thoughts on the billboard and group, and discuss it a little.

fuzzytoad
09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
I would post the link but I'm a new member. I came here to hear thoughts on the billboard and group, and discuss it a little.

here ya go: http://friendlyatheist.com/2010/09/06/atheist-billboard-goes-up-in-oklahoma-city/

:tiphat:

Easy180
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Saw a story on channel 4 I believe...Had a few stupid responses including one banjo player who I believe said it should be burned down

What a controversial billboard

scientia_et_humanitas
09-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Yes but what do youthink of it?

bretthexum
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Saw a story on channel 4 I believe...Had a few stupid responses including one banjo player who I believe said it should be burned down

What a controversial billboard

Not surprised - the christian right is all nice and friendly until you disagree with them. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it vandalized.

mugofbeer
09-09-2010, 09:12 PM
its what they want to happen, some controversy and some publicity. Same mindset as Bretthexum has - they want to point out their assertion that the Christians are all nice and friendly until you disagree with them

Midtowner
09-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't see a problem with it.

Plenty of churches have billboards. What is the difference, exactly?

metro
09-10-2010, 11:54 AM
Not surprised - the christian right is all nice and friendly until you disagree with them. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it vandalized.

You mean like the billboard of Jesus on Classen Blvd that was vandalized with "Zeus" graffiti?

OKCisOK4me
09-10-2010, 12:00 PM
It is what it is...

Easy180
09-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Obvious this group is just trying to stir up controversy...check out this disgusting hate speech

"The point of our nationwide awareness campaign is to reach out to the millions of atheists, agnostics, skeptics and humanists living in the United States," said Fred Edwords, the coalition's national director.

"Nonreligious people sometimes don't realize there's a community for them because they're flooded with religious messages at every turn. So we hope this will serve as a beacon and let them know they aren't alone."

Singer said the local group is not looking to be controversial with the billboard but wanted something to grab the attention of passers-by.

"The major goal is to let people know that we are out there," he said.

"The biggest comment we get is, 'We didn't know you were here.'"

bandnerd
09-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I actually have met one of the women who works with this group. They honestly just want the word to get out that atheists have a community, just like the God-fearing crowd does.

Besides, free speech and all that. I might have to get to know this group better.

FritterGirl
09-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Obvious this group is just trying to stir up controversy...check out this disgusting hate speech

"The point of our nationwide awareness campaign is to reach out to the millions of atheists, agnostics, skeptics and humanists living in the United States," said Fred Edwords, the coalition's national director.

"Nonreligious people sometimes don't realize there's a community for them because they're flooded with religious messages at every turn. So we hope this will serve as a beacon and let them know they aren't alone."

Singer said the local group is not looking to be controversial with the billboard but wanted something to grab the attention of passers-by.

"The major goal is to let people know that we are out there," he said.

"The biggest comment we get is, 'We didn't know you were here.'"

Sorry, easy, but I must be missing some very obvious sarcasm here. I fail to see any hate about wanting to "get their word out." Is this any different from the billboards that we see such as "Don't Make Me Come Down There." ~ God.

Really, outside of some people being offended by the idea there are people who don't believe the way they do and wish to express that belief, I fail to see a problem.

onthestrip
09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
I have a feeling the CoR will have a positive response from this. Im willing to bet there is a significant amount of atheists/agnostics in this city but have remained mostly silent because of fear of how they would be treated by those that do believe.

Easy180
09-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Sorry, easy, but I must be missing some very obvious sarcasm here. I fail to see any hate about wanting to "get their word out." Is this any different from the billboards that we see such as "Don't Make Me Come Down There." ~ God.

Really, outside of some people being offended by the idea there are people who don't believe the way they do and wish to express that belief, I fail to see a problem.

Sorry fritter I definitely meant for that to come across sarcastic

urbanity
09-15-2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.okgazette.com/article/09-15-2010/Lamar_Advertising_s_GM_dubs_the_rejection_of_an_at heist_group_s_controversial_billboard_a_judgment_c all.aspx

PennyQuilts
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Seems okay to me. I thought it had a nice, light touch. I like to read the comments on news articles and thought the comments on the news article, at least quite a few, were respoectful and matter of fact.