View Full Version : OKC what if...(Admittedly a dreamer's thread)...Visions of the future.

Pages : [1] 2

OKC@heart
09-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Ok, so as one who loves to see what might be possible (knowing that anything is possible) and with a rabid love of Oklahoma City; I thought that it would be fun on a rainy September day to hypothesize with the talented folks on this forum as to what may be possible for this great city in the coming years as the impact of all of the public development and the momentum increases.

This is supported by the following suppositions:

1. Increased national awareness of the city and its low cost of living and relative high quality of life.
2. Continued exodus of Corporations from locations that are becoming more and more business unfriendly (High taxation demands)
3. As increased national awareness of what is taking place here coupled with our ability to weather the economic downturn, will lead to an increase of those who will relocate here from other areas, (already beginning to take place if you look at the numbers)

That being said I thought it would be fun to see what some of our folks on this thread could envision as potential building sites and types. Please take into consideration the core to shore, relocated I-40 and the new boulevard, as well as the other developing areas. For those who are so inclined this is kind of like fantasy football with real-estate development, Graphics are welcome and encouraged and photo shopped imagery and sketch up models would be great as well.

(Example) Let's say for instance that Sandridge Energy grows leaps and bounds due to the focus of sustainable energy demands caused by an increase in demand for vehicle use and SR decides to implement the design and construction of a second tower to interconnect with the existing tower, but they do not wish to just duplicate what is there, but really make a statement with thier new tower...what would that look like on the skyline?

How cool would it be to show a vision of what could be in this city based on open lots and or properties that are vacant and needing redevelopment. Of course I welcome a grand and daring visions, but wish for them to be tempered and somewhat grounded in the realm of possibility.

Sometimes it is visual information like this that can inspire the right people into action.

I am very interested to see what we think of ourselves and what is possible!!! :bright_id

OKC@heart
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Another example: Say The Dowel center garage (which in my opinion is a horrible looking corner anchor) were to be approached by a to be yet unnammed corporate entity that wanted to make a big splash when they relocate downtown in the 2nd quarter of FY 2011. While they are temporarily leasing space in several buildings in downtown they decide that they intend to build a facility to house thier specific needs and demands. They enter negotiations with the Dowel property owner and enter an agreement to sell the property to them for redevelopment if as part of the deal the new structure provides parking for the adjacent Dowel center residents.

The result being a new downtown highrise, with a parking garage podium and retail wrapped around at street level...(man I hope something like that would happen) not a pretty garage at all.

I am sure that there are many more opportunities that can be explored that are located within the realm of the CBD that are or could be plausible as candidates for vertical construction.

Vegan
09-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I prefer that OKC and Oklahoma in general is kept a secret and the media ignores us. I can't see a rush of people wanting the Oklahoma dream really improving things here. Popularity could ruin everything.

OKC@heart
09-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I appreciate your point of view, however cities much the same as most things in life simply do not remain in a neutral position or static position, rather they are either working to improve or are experiencing decline or degradation. The point of this thread is to engage the imagination and to see what is possible more from a development standpoint. Growth does not mean that we have to abandon our principles, history, heritage and traditions, ethic in exchange for progress but rather the continuity of the same pioneering spirit of the original settlers and not fear the future but rather actively engage and work to shape our place in it.

okcpulse
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I envision a period of very strong growth for Oklahoma City for decades to come. Not Phoenix or DFW type growth that is out of control, but strong, steady growth. The expansion of our skyline will not stop at Devon Tower, and will spread south toward the river with a handful of midrise towers (10-20 floors) and at least two highrises 30-40 floors. At least one could be all office,or could very well be mixed use office and residential. MidFirst will outgrow its current offices, so it would be crazy to not see one of those new highrises downtown accomodate the relocation of MidFirst Bank.

I also envision infill taking off between St. Anthony and the Oklahoma Health Center. The vision has been laid out, so next is the action. The chance is very good that Oklahoma City will not only be a major natural gas and renewable energy hub, but will also be a hub for biotechnology and advanced medical care. In the technology realm, DR technology will take of in OKC as well, with CoreVault leading the way in disaster recovery and data integrity. I want to be a part of Oklahoma City's technology community in the realm of data visualization and urban analysis, but for me it will take work to get there.

I also envision an emergence in Edmond-OKC-Norman becoming a three-prong economic engine that will be the centerpiece of that strong growth. These three cities will most likely be the backbone of metro rail service. Moore, being a part of that major alignment, will continue its growth and role as a residential and retail community. In far northwest Oklahoma City, Lake Hefner Parkway will be expanded north of Memorial to accomodate the large growth that will continue west of Edmond, towards Deer Creek. Growth will also take off near NW Expressway and the Kilpatrick Turnpike.

Spartan
09-09-2010, 12:33 AM
I also envision an emergence in Edmond-OKC-Norman becoming a three-prong economic engine that will be the centerpiece of that strong growth. These three cities will most likely be the backbone of metro rail service. Moore, being a part of that major alignment, will continue its growth and role as a residential and retail community. In far northwest Oklahoma City, Lake Hefner Parkway will be expanded north of Memorial to accomodate the large growth that will continue west of Edmond, towards Deer Creek. Growth will also take off near NW Expressway and the Kilpatrick Turnpike.

Lame.

Thunder
09-09-2010, 06:21 AM
All the theme parks and attractions Orlando has, I want to see those here. I also would like for Sea World to build somewhere near the river and central park.

okcpulse, 10-40 floors is too short. I want to start seeing 100+ floors shooting up.

Kerry
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
How about OKC being the Capitol of a new country made from remnants of a collapsed America?

metro
09-09-2010, 09:13 AM
okcpulse, you realize "Lake Hefner Parkway" although I believe it's called SH74 has already been under construction with 4 lane expansion to Guthrie for a couple years now?

metro
09-09-2010, 09:14 AM
How about OKC being the Capitol of a new country made from remnants of a collapsed America?

Collapse is probably inevitable, would love to be the capital but I don't see it happening. Texas would be more likely to get it.

OKC@heart
09-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Well regardless of any impending collapse, Oklahoma City and the state in general would play a significant role as an emerging market is such a scenario, we would be a rising star!

okcpulse
09-09-2010, 11:11 AM
okcpulse, you realize "Lake Hefner Parkway" although I believe it's called SH74 has already been under construction with 4 lane expansion to Guthrie for a couple years now?

Yes. If I understand, they are working their way south. What I described above is a combination of both vision and what is going to take place in the coming years as well as what is taking place now. Spartan can say its lame, but the point I was trying to drive home is that the ingredients are coming together.

Since Lake Hefner Parkway is indeed being expanded north, it will add fuel to the growth already happening in that part of Oklahoma County.

David Pollard
09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Ideally... well, how about a filled-in mid-town and C2S, couple of mid or high-rises, both residential, office and mixed use. Most importantly though should be a real core of a mass-transit system that can demonstrate to the city that it is not evil to travel by streetcar or bus, but actually a nucleus for future growth.

Well, OK a giant ferris wheel too!

Kerry
09-09-2010, 01:52 PM

I think the phrase you are looking for is 'a single point of entry fixed-radius mono-directional/multi-elevation mass transport system'.

David Pollard
09-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Oooh! Like that even better!

Seriously though, I hope that OKC and Oklahoma for that matter continues to develop those things, attitudes and characteristic that are unique to its culture. I was so heartened recently when back in OK to see more use of native stone, and vegetation, and hope that this stays part of new developments downtown as well. Would LOVE to see a mid-rise condo with lots of glass and lots of local stone.

OKCisOK4me
09-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Lame.

I've never been against anything you've said on this forum but that's just ridiculous! I thought all were good points. Way to be a flamer...

OKCisOK4me
09-09-2010, 02:07 PM

Not to Guthrie. Only to just north of Waterloo Rd which is the Oklahoma/Logan County line...

Platemaker
09-09-2010, 06:34 PM
I think the phrase you are looking for is 'a single point of entry fixed-radius mono-directional/multi-elevation mass transport system'.

Love it!

Bunty
09-09-2010, 08:08 PM
All the theme parks and attractions Orlando has, I want to see those here. I also would like for Sea World to build somewhere near the river and central park.

okcpulse, 10-40 floors is too short. I want to start seeing 100+ floors shooting up.Better also dream that global warming makes OKC as warm in the winter as Orlando.

Spartan
09-09-2010, 11:58 PM
I've never been against anything you've said on this forum but that's just ridiculous! I thought all were good points. Way to be a flamer...

I thought I'd just save people from reading through one of my normally long-winded posts just to find out that I oppose sprawl and don't dream for more of it.. lol, if it helps, imagine that I wrote a 10 paragraph essay against envisioning more sprawl.

What Oklahoma needs is an urban growth boundary around OKC and Tulsa. It would benefit everyone, especially the inner cities, and especially the small towns that are being gobbled up by generic suburbia. Wal Mart comes in and forces out the ma and pa stores, Ideal Homes clogs its roads with new traffic, and all the development ends up taking over beautiful farm pastures. It's a great way of life that is going away. Plus an urban growth boundary would prevent current suburbs from becoming future rent-dominated slums (like Del City, MWC, parts of Moore and even Edmond) and would be a huge boost to efforts to restore the entire inner city.

Look at Portland, which has an urban growth boundary in the U.S. to see that it can be done in this country, or look at Calgary, to see that it can be done without natural barriers. (granted Calgary's gets pushed back a lot)

ljbab728
09-10-2010, 12:01 AM
I thought I'd just save people from reading through one of my normally long-winded posts just to find out that I oppose sprawl and don't dream for more of it.. lol, if it helps, imagine that I wrote a 10 paragraph essay against sprawl.

All of the points in your 10 paragraphs are noted, Spartan. We know your feelings.

David Pollard
09-10-2010, 12:37 AM
What Oklahoma needs is an urban growth boundary around OKC and Tulsa. It would benefit everyone, especially the inner cities, and especially the small towns that are being gobbled up by generic suburbia. Wal Mart comes in and forces out the ma and pa stores, Ideal Homes clogs its roads with new traffic, and all the development ends up taking over beautiful farm pastures. It's a great way of life that is going away. Plus an urban growth boundary would prevent current suburbs from becoming future rent-dominated slums (like Del City, MWC, parts of Moore and even Edmond) and would be a huge boost to efforts to restore the entire inner city.
)

Here here!!
I would actually go even further by calling for a de-annexation of large tracks of the city. It was freakish in the first instance (not to mention a touch of megalomania) for the city to take up SO much of the surrounding countryside. I realize of-course that this would decrease the tax base and population statistics, but imagine how much more efficiently it could focus funding towards the core. Not to leave the outer burbs in despair, an arrangement should be made whereby those parts of the city that would NOT be incorporated into surrounding towns, would indeed become part of a green belt as Spartan suggests. Gradually, those areas should be returned to nature while only maintaining a minimum of services for existing properties. Granted this sounds a bit draconian, but it would be pretty a cutting edge urban solution for the USA.... didn't realize that Portland also had a green belt, but OKC could again become the focus of sustainable, forward looking developments; at least in the Midwest.

My penny's worth.

kevinpate
09-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Does it have to be mono directional?

Kerry
09-10-2010, 05:55 AM
Does it have to be mono directional?

I have seen one that goes forwards and backwards, but not at the same time. If you want to do that you need a Wonkavator. It can go sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways. However, it is more of a personal transport system than it is a mass transit system. Plus, if you crash in one you could be cut to ribbons.

On a serious note - I would love to see OKC deannex all of the rural land and concentrate on in-fill and vertical development.

OKC@heart
09-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I thought I'd just save people from reading through one of my normally long-winded posts just to find out that I oppose sprawl and don't dream for more of it.. lol, if it helps, imagine that I wrote a 10 paragraph essay against envisioning more sprawl.

Look at Portland, which has an urban growth boundary in the U.S. to see that it can be done in this country, or look at Calgary, to see that it can be done without natural barriers. (granted Calgary's gets pushed back a lot)

Spartan, that is a very interesting thought, and bears repeating when ever the opportunity arises so it is certainly welcome in this conversation. That would be an interesting way to focus resources to the core and allow for further (and much needed) infill projects and that would go a long way to making the city feel more connected and cohesive.

Spartan
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Free market solution, I would imagine--that's the El Dorado we're all looking for, right?

SkyWestOKC
09-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Trying to veer back on topic a little.

I dream of the city adding 2-3 more mid-rise to high-rise structures downtown over the next 15 or so years. Whether they be housing, office, mixed, whatever -- let's not fret the details. I see the river area developing more, especially in the C2S area. I also see the downtown area as a whole becoming noticeably more dense. Not NYC dense of course, but more dense than it is now. I would love to see the airport develop into a focus city for an airline over the same period of time.

This isn't much....but I rather under-expect and be wow'd by what actually happens, than to over-dream and be disappointed when it doesn't come out how you want.

CuatrodeMayo
09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
FYI:

http://www.metro-region.org/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=277

Platemaker
09-10-2010, 07:40 PM
We seriously need an urban growth boundary.

Kerry
09-10-2010, 09:35 PM
We seriously need an urban growth boundary.

I generally don't like government telling people what they can do with their land or where they have to live. I would just prefer the City reduce the city limits and not build infrastructure to rural areas. You want to live in rural parts of Oklahoma County, fine - just don't expect a paved road to your house.

ljbab728
09-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Here here!!
I would actually go even further by calling for a de-annexation of large tracks of the city. It was freakish in the first instance (not to mention a touch of megalomania) for the city to take up SO much of the surrounding countryside. I realize of-course that this would decrease the tax base and population statistics, but imagine how much more efficiently it could focus funding towards the core. Not to leave the outer burbs in despair, an arrangement should be made whereby those parts of the city that would NOT be incorporated into surrounding towns, would indeed become part of a green belt as Spartan suggests. Gradually, those areas should be returned to nature while only maintaining a minimum of services for existing properties. Granted this sounds a bit draconian, but it would be pretty a cutting edge urban solution for the USA.... didn't realize that Portland also had a green belt, but OKC could again become the focus of sustainable, forward looking developments; at least in the Midwest.

My penny's worth.

LOL. What you're saying reminds me of the commercial on television where two neighbors are outside of their houses talking and one neighbor is turning his house back to nature with an overgrown lawn and a goat eating on the roof. I've been through the deannexation debate several times with other posters here and it just would help nothing. As I've said over and over the land OKC annexed was one of the most forward thinking ideas ever accomplished here and without that we would be like Tulsa or Dallas totally enclosed by our suburbs and losing large amounts of tax dollars. Everything we deannex would just be incorporated into suburban cities and they would get the tax benefits instead of OKC.

Larry OKC
09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
I agree w/most of what you are saying ljbab728, but have to balance the tax benefits, w/the liabilities of building/maintaining the infrastructure etc.

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree w/most of what you are saying ljbab728, but have to balance the tax benefits, w/the liabilities of building/maintaining the infrastructure etc.

Certainly there are liabilities but do you think if Dallas had an option of adding Irving, Plano, Arlington, etc. into their taxable area or leaving it as it is they would so no? I don't think so.

Larry OKC
09-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Maybe, maybe not....depends if they would have to come up with the cost of all of that infrastructure or not

Its kind of a moot point anyway, as I don't see deannexing happening (how often does it happen anyway)?

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Maybe, maybe not....depends if they would have to come up with the cost of all of that infrastructure or not

Its kind of a moot point anyway, as I don't see deannexing happening (how often does it happen anyway)?

You're right. It doesn't happen and won't happen here so discussing that possibility is pointless as I've said many times in other threads.

Larry OKC
09-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I can see both sides of it...nothing wrong w/considering possibilities though and talking them thru...one thing too, am sure Dallas would love to annex the ones you mentioned (already developed w/density levels), but it seems that most of the land OKC annexed is rural and has to be built up (a decades long process). I missed when the annexation happened but how long ago was it?

flintysooner
09-11-2010, 07:20 AM
I missed when the annexation happened but how long ago was it?In 1964 my family lived outside Moore on a little farm. Norman was annexing land south of us. Oklahoma City was annexing land to the west. Several neighbors, all of whom had small family farms, met and decided they would be better off in Moore than either Norman or Oklahoma City. Norman was stopped at about Indian Hills on the south and Oklahoma City at Santa Fe on the west.

Added: And it should be noted that the preference of all was to be left alone and annexed by no city. No services were provided for many years to the area. The general consensus as I recall was that it was better to be a part of a smaller city than a larger city. Moore, at the time, didn't have the best reputation for good government either.

Regarding agricultural use though it is vastly different now. Back in the 1950's and even the early 1960's it was arguably possible to make a living on a small farm if you didn't have really high expectations. Today for the same kind of farming you'd have to have at least 4 or 5 sections I think. There is some national movement towards very small, organic truck farms but that's not very practical to me in this area.

OKC@heart
09-11-2010, 08:10 AM
So along the lines of possible sites for expansion, one other way is for existing towers that were shortened mid construction due to economic constraints in the past. Those towers could feasibly add back the planned additional floors as a way to renovate and become more current as well as offer more lease able square footage as the market begins to absorb the current supply and a demand for additional office or residential makes it viable.

It seems I remember some discussion of some from a previous thread but can't remember which one. Anyone who knows it would be fun to identify them and then see what impact that could have on our skyline. I will do some searching and see if I can find which thread that was covered on before.

stlokc
09-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm probably in the minority on this board, but I don't understand the idea of height simply for height's sake. Before we add floors to existing buildings, I would far rather see the vacant lots between 5th and 13th filled with urban, 2-3 story buildings.

OKC@heart
09-11-2010, 02:07 PM
You're not in the minority, as I think most here also want the infill projects! It was more about identifying buildings that have yet unreached potential.

OSUMom
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Ideally... well, how about a filled-in mid-town and C2S, couple of mid or high-rises, both residential, office and mixed use. Most importantly though should be a real core of a mass-transit system that can demonstrate to the city that it is not evil to travel by streetcar or bus, but actually a nucleus for future growth.

Weren't we getting a big ferris wheel? What happened to that?

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Weren't we getting a big ferris wheel? What happened to that?

That's planned as part of the Downtown Airpark development on S. Western which is still a few years off.

David Pollard
09-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Hope I didn't derail the discuss back there re the city limits!

In any case, I did see later that someone is calling for more density which, of course, was implicit in what I was suggesting. More density, particularly in Midtown and the C2S area would create greater opportunities for efficient use of public transportation, start-up business that seek higher foot traffic, larger retail, university campuses, and on and on; Many of which have already been proposed or discussed on OKC talk.
Once, and only one this scenario REALLY kicks in will we see the type of thing really high on my wish list such as more corporate headquarters with their accompanying sky scrapers, a vibrant and edgy collection of fun districts, etc. Still waiting for the LGBT district to find its place in midtown. Maybe too much to ask of conservative Oklahoma, but this IS a wish list.

All in all, OKC is doing well, so there seems to be a real chance that much of this will come to fruition.

Platemaker
09-12-2010, 08:28 AM
39th street is already a cool spot for the gay district... it is an original stretch of and original buildings on Route 66. It just needs a street-scape badly. It's the only place in town with that heavy of foot traffic yet has ZERO crosswalks.

Downtowner405
09-13-2010, 11:46 AM
I moved to OKC in 1999, 3 months before the Bricktown Canal was to open. The north end of the canal was still a mud-pit. Many of the old warehouses had varying degrees of renovations ongoing. There were only a smattering of mediocre to good restaurants. There were only two hotels operating. The Cox Convention Center had just finished their renovations. There was no new downtown residential development. Convention business bookings was paltry at best. The Ford Center hadn't even broken ground. Public art was almost as non existent as was foliage along the Bricktown Canal. Bricktown had just begun to build out office space. And conducting business in Bricktown was a 3-day prospect. Fast forward 10 years.

The Ford Center has been built. We have an NBA franchise (GO THUNDER!) that attracts national exposure. Most of the warehouses have been renovated and are leased. High end attractions, restaurants, retail and hotels are up, with more coming all the time. Event calendars are full. Mid-town is better than it's ever been. New downtown residential has been built with more coming. Sonic moved its national HQ to the Bricktown Canal. Devon is building its new HQ in downtown and in the process is also rennovating the Myriad Gardens. Public art is amazing with the Land Run Sculptures and numerous mosiacs! Foliage along the Bricktown Canal is developed.

I also get a kick out of people who haven't been here in a few years and are amazed at how much the area has grown. Likewise, I see a lot of people who have never been here and are amazed at Oklahoma City and how much we have to offer as a destination. Another dynamic that has changed is who is coming to OKC. We now see people from all around the country and in-fact, international visitors coming to OKC for conventions. And as a direct result, we're also seeing leisure business (I.E. people who came back to OKC after having been here for business and are now coming back with their families).

Oklahoma City is in a growth mode! And that's impressive considering the state of our economy. Not too many cities can make such boasts. To see where are future lies, all you have to do is examine how far we've come in only 10 years.

A good friend of mine often compares us to San Antonio and their Riverwalk by claiming that it took them the better part of 60 years to develop what they've got down there to where it is today. We've come this far in the past 10 years and are now comparable. This isn't a dreamer's thread. This is a reality check!

Kerry
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
It took me a while - but here is what I would love for someone to do in OKC. It would take someone with some serious deep pockets to do it.

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/zo/?id=100212

North America's largest master-planned community will cost over $4 billion when completed and provide homes to more than 20,000 people on over 200 acres along Vancouver's downtown waterfront. Concord Pacific Place was Canada's first fully-wired fiber optic community.

The following buildings are currently listed in Concord Pacific Place:

# Building Complex Floors Year
1. West One Beach Crescent 38 2002
2. QuayWest Tower I Marina Crescent 35 2002
3. Landmark 33 Marina Pointe 35 1998
4. Creekside Park Creekside Park 33 2011
5. Aqua at the Park Beach Crescent 33 2005
6. Azura 1 Beach Crescent 33 2003
7. Aquarius I Marina Crescent 33 1999
8. Aquarius II Marina Crescent 33 1999
9. Spectrum 4 Spectrum 32 2007
10. The Max 1 Marina Pointe 32 2005
11. Park West Beach Crescent 32 2004
12. Azura 2 Beach Crescent 32 2003
13. 193 Aquarius Mews Marina Crescent 32 2000
14. Peninsula Roundhouse 32 1996
15. Coopers Lookout Coopers Quay 31 2008
16. Two Park West Beach Crescent 31 2004
17. Waterworks Marina Pointe 31 1998
18. Governor's Tower Yaletown Edge 31 1996
19. 47 Nelson Pacific at Nelson 30 2010
20. Spectrum 1 Spectrum 30 2007
21. 901 Pacific Pacific at Nelson 28 2010
22. Waterford Beach Crescent 28 2003
23. Spectrum 2 Spectrum 26 2007
24. The Max 2 Marina Pointe 26 2005
25. Parkview Gardens Yaletown Edge 26 1994
26. Parkview Tower Yaletown Edge 26 1993
27. King's Landing Beach Crescent 25 2005
28. Flagship Coopers Quay 24 2008
29. Mariner 1 Coopers Quay 24 2008
30. Mariner 2 Coopers Quay 24 2008
31. QuayWest Tower II Marina Crescent 24 2002
32. Spectrum 3 Spectrum 23 2007
33. ICON Beach Crescent 23 2005
34. 1077 Marinaside Marina Crescent 23 2001
35. Crestmark II Roundhouse 22 1997
36. The Concord Roundhouse 21 2003
37. Columbus Roundhouse 21 1998
38. Concordia II Roundhouse 21 1996
39. The Erickson Beach Crescent 18 2009
40. King's Landing II Beach Crescent 18 2005
41. Concordia I Roundhouse 18 1996
42. 990 Beatty Concord Pacific Pla.. 15 2009
43. Coopers Pointe Coopers Quay 15 2008
44. Pacific Plaza II Yaletown Edge 15 1995
45. 431 Beach Crescent Beach Crescent 14 2010
46. Pacific Plaza III Yaletown Edge 14 1995
47. Aquarius III Marina Crescent 13 1999
48. Aquarius Villas Marina Crescent 13 1999
49. 1099 Marinaside Marina Crescent 12 2000
50. Governor's Villas Yaletown Edge 12 1996
51. Governor's Villas II Yaletown Edge 12 1996
52. ICON II Beach Crescent 11 2006
53. Quayside Family Housing Marina Crescent 10 1999
54. Crestmark I Roundhouse 10 1997
55. Sidney Manor Roundhouse 10 1996
56. SilverSea Beach Crescent 9 2005
57. Roundhouse Co-op Housing Marina Crescent 8 1998
58. Yaletown Ltd. Marina Crescent 8 1998
59. 450 Beach Crescent Beach Crescent 6 2010
60. 900 Expo Tower 1 900 Expo Boulevard

Spartan
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
I generally don't like government telling people what they can do with their land or where they have to live. I would just prefer the City reduce the city limits and not build infrastructure to rural areas. You want to live in rural parts of Oklahoma County, fine - just don't expect a paved road to your house.

We all have to comply with local ordinances that exist for a reason already. Unless you're SandRidge, of course..

earlywinegareth
09-17-2010, 02:32 PM
We need another Fortune 500 corporation. One that is homegrown a la Chesapeake and Devon, but preferably not another energy company - we need to diversify our economic portfolio. One way to do this is to target small but growing companies looking for competitive advantage and sell them on the idea of moving their operations to OKC to lower costs and take advantage of the local universities and tax credits. It's all about more jobs that pay well that cause a ripple effect in the local economy that keeps things humming along.

lovokc
09-20-2010, 08:31 AM
I envision a period of very strong growth for Oklahoma City for decades to come. Not Phoenix or DFW type growth that is out of control, but strong, steady growth. The expansion of our skyline will not stop at Devon Tower, and will spread south toward the river with a handful of midrise towers (10-20 floors) and at least two highrises 30-40 floors. At least one could be all office,or could very well be mixed use office and residential. MidFirst will outgrow its current offices, so it would be crazy to not see one of those new highrises downtown accomodate the relocation of MidFirst Bank.

I also envision infill taking off between St. Anthony and the Oklahoma Health Center. The vision has been laid out, so next is the action. The chance is very good that Oklahoma City will not only be a major natural gas and renewable energy hub, but will also be a hub for biotechnology and advanced medical care. In the technology realm, DR technology will take of in OKC as well, with CoreVault leading the way in disaster recovery and data integrity. I want to be a part of Oklahoma City's technology community in the realm of data visualization and urban analysis, but for me it will take work to get there.

I can see "envision an emergence in Edmond-OKC-Norman"

OKC@heart
09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Dovetailing on the need as stipulated by the Urban Land Institute, for some serious hotel room building to meet the demand and to accommodate the new Convention Center, would love to see some of the following type of developments.

I think a mixed used type tower that has an Omni would be a great add into the Hotel repertoire of Okc. The Omni could be one of the main convention hotels.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/FTworthOmni1.jpg

You can see more about this hotel on the web site: http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/FortWorth.aspx

I would also like to see a Kimpton Hotel. For those who are not familiar with them, look up their site and see the kind of offerings that they provide. They are a boutique hotel operator who specialize in 4 & 5 star hotels. The Kimpton would not need to be as huge although they are certainly comfortable in the range of 90-400 keys (rooms) They often have named chef restaurants, as well as full service spas, and meeting rooms etc... They are excellent at doing adaptive reuse of old buildings that are in need of saving, as well as ground up new buildings.

Some examples:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/BaltimoreKimptonHotel.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/KimptonNineZeroHotelBoston.jpg

More can be found here: http://www.kimptonhotels.com/index.aspx

OKC@heart
09-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Another that has an interesting story that many might not know: The Joule Hotel, Dallas Texas

This very nice hotel was originally going to be a Kimpton Hotel all the way until they were in the final stages, and then something went awry and the Kimpton group pulled out and Starwood came in as the hotel operator. This is really the type and quality of the Kimpton lines and so different from the level of detail and quality that you typically find from a Starwood hotel. Good move by Starwood.

Something like this would be cool in Okc, I like the fact that they took an existing building renovated it and then added on to it and revitalized the area. That is what the Kimpton group likes to do.

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/TheHotelJouleDallas.jpg

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/Joulepooldeck.jpg

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=3321&language=en_US#photo_section_3Link

Anyway I think that the City is ripe with these kind of opportunities, but the chamber (COC) or some of our local and ambitious developers need to make inroads with some of these high quality hotel operators and make the case for OKC it is a singularly unique City with a massive renaissance occurring and it would be a great opportunity to make inroads with brand familiarity. If combined with the right type of project and based on the high demand from very credible sources such as the ULI it is a safe bet for them.

OKC@heart
09-23-2010, 09:59 PM
We certainly do not want a low slung massive real-estate hog of a hotel for our convention center. The new one in Dallas is blah in my opinion. Now I don't for a minute doubt that it will be nice, I just hope that we can get ours to want to express themselves in a more vertical manner... say atop a nice podium building that plays well with the street frontage.

OKC@heart
09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Maybe in the future some of our parking garage owners will feel the desire to make a statement with thier facility and apply some interesting lighting and steel mesh that can totaly transform the look of the garage, to make it seem more dynamic and exciting. Some examples:

http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a418/Okc_at_heart/AustinConventionCenterParkingGarage-1.jpg

The Austin Convention Center Parking Garage: exhibit A

The Car Park - Cardif, Wales

architect5311
09-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Oldies.............but Goodies

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DowntownOKC2020-1.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/DowntownOKC2020-2.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/view-12.jpg

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk92/gandjdunlap/view-13.jpg

Doug Loudenback
09-25-2010, 11:01 AM
I can see both sides of it...nothing wrong w/considering possibilities though and talking them thru...one thing too, am sure Dallas would love to annex the ones you mentioned (already developed w/density levels), but it seems that most of the land OKC annexed is rural and has to be built up (a decades long process). I missed when the annexation happened but how long ago was it?
See http://dougdawg.blogspot.com/2008/12/oklahoma-city-area-history.html

OKC@heart
09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Architect 5311 thanks! that is exactly the type of illustrations of what might be that I am talking about! I plan on making a couple of attempts myself as soon as I can get some free time to do it! Thanks for your post! Was the Renaissance hotel built with the ability to be added upon at a future date? That is what it looks like you are indicating there in the rendering, and It seems like I remember something to that effect. If so do you know how high they had engineered it to be capable of going?

Wasn't Oklahoma tower similar in that regard? When did they make the change to the lower height and was it during construction or still while in design where they had a chance to reduce the structural capability and save the money, thus making it impossible to add onto?

Any others that anyone can remember that were supposed to be taller but that were reduced during construction?

Larry OKC
09-26-2010, 12:26 AM
Doug:

Thanks for the info/link. As always very informative. Didn't read it all yet, so maybe you answered already. Do people in a proposed annex area have any say in the matter? What if they don't want to be annexed? Seems like a city could just claim (and have a vote of it's residents or just the Council) any property they wanted. Legal challenges not withstanding (you mentioned OKC won far more than they lost).

Interesting to note that OKC has de annexed some (back in the 80s) so maybe there is a glimmer of hope for those that have advocated de annexation.

ljbab728
09-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Doug:

Thanks for the info/link. As always very informative. Didn't read it all yet, so maybe you answered already. Do people in a proposed annex area have any say in the matter? What if they don't want to be annexed? Seems like a city could just claim (and have a vote of it's residents or just the Council) any property they wanted. Legal challenges not withstanding (you mentioned OKC won far more than they lost).

Interesting to note that OKC has de annexed some (back in the 80s) so maybe there is a glimmer of hope for those that have advocated de annexation.
I haven't looked into the legalities but it has always been my understanding that property that was bounded on three sides by the city limits could be annexed without property owner's approval.

Ezrablum
09-27-2010, 12:30 PM
Growth does not mean that we have to abandon our principles, history, heritage and traditions, ethic in exchange for progress but rather the continuity of the same pioneering spirit of the original settlers and not fear the future but rather actively engage and work to shape our place in it.

Too late. We have strayed far from our roots of being a populist state. Principles that helped form us and shape the greatness that our future could have been have given way to fundamentalist and neo-conservative evangelical based voting practices. We need to engage young voters and help interest them in the shaping of our future.

okcpulse, 10-40 floors is too short. I want to start seeing 100+ floors shooting up.

You are either insane or a terrible troll.

Maybe you can round up your like-minded brethren in other parts of the country and you people can have this new horrific dystopia. Good riddance, I'll be long gone enjoying the rest of our great country free from your pessimistic dogmatic idiosyncrasies.

Collapse is probably inevitable, would love to be the capital but I don't see it happening. Texas would be more likely to get it.
Adios, muchacho.

Wal Mart comes in and forces out the ma and pa stores,

I'm afraid a lot of the damage is already done there, friend. Big Box China Direct imports already has a firm grasp on all of our small towns in the area.

I can't read any more of this thread and these were just notes from the first page, alas. Some of you can be so taxing. (Metro, Kerry)

Kerry
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I can't read any more of this thread and these were just notes from the first page, alas. Some of you can be so taxing. (Metro, Kerry)

Good bye.