View Full Version : Film Row General Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

metro
08-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Film Row is starting to take shape. Several new tenants have moved into the area, and demo/renovation is starting on the Film Exchange. I believe the city's streetscape project is finally scheduled to star early fall. There is a new article on the district in the Journal Record but it is only for paid members. If you have member access to JR online, please post the article.

jstanthrnme
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Film Row? where and what is it?

Midtowner
08-20-2008, 10:14 PM
metro, unless the JR says it's okay to post the article, doing so would be against this site's TOS regarding posting copyrighted material without the owner's consent.

metro
08-20-2008, 10:19 PM
Mid, as you know okctalk has permission from Oklahoman, JR & OKC Business to repost

BG918
08-21-2008, 07:14 AM
I am working with a guy that recently moved his office down there from north OKC. It's still a little rundown and rough around the edges but has loads of potential, especially being on Sheridan just a few blocks from the Devon complex. If they ever get a streetcar running down Sheridan from Film Row to Bricktown it would really jumpstart development in that part of downtown. When is the streetscape project supposed to begin and what is the timeline?

metro
08-21-2008, 07:17 AM
As I mentioned, it's supposed to finally start this fall and be done by spring. The article I read a few weeks ago had more specifics but I can't remember where I saw it. Anyhow, I noticed an article on it in the JR yesterday but it's only available to online members, which I am not. OKC Talk does have permission to repost from the JR as I understand it, so if someone can repost, please do.

kmf563
08-21-2008, 07:51 AM
found this if it helps -

http://www.filmrowokc.com/FilmExchange.swf

FilmRow Productions, OKC (http://www.filmrowproductions.com/)

mecarr
08-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Journal Record (Oklahoma City, OK)
Copyright 2008 Dolan Media Newswires

August 15, 2008

Oklahoma City's blighted Film Row getting ready for its close-up.

Kelley Chambers

A group of designers, engineers and architects are not only promoting the revitalization of Oklahoma City's blighted Film Row , but also moving their offices there. The area was a bustling center of activity in its prime beginning in the 1920s, with buildings owned by every major movie studio, but fell into decline beginning in the 1960s when studios no longer needed regional film exchanges to distribute reels of film to theaters. Film Row is defined mainly as the 600 and 700 blocks of West Sheridan Avenue, just a stone's throw from the Civic Center and art museum. Many of the art-deco buildings remain, and several were purchased by Chip Fudge in 2005, with plans to bring Film Row back as a bustling center of activity on the west side of downtown.

David Wanzer, with J3 Architecture and one of the first to see the potential in Film Row, did extensive historic research and sold Fudge on his vision. David took the time to find out all the history of the area, Fudge said. It was a compelling story, and it was the last quadrant of downtown that hadn't been bought up. Three buildings have been renovated so far. When the building at 628 W. Sheridan Ave. was renovated for another tenant, who did not end up moving in, Wanzer jumped at the chance to move his offices from the Deep Deuce area on the northeast side of downtown. He was soon joined by three other companies looking for office space.

In February, J3, Task Design, Butzer-Gardner and Obelisk Engineering all set up shop in the 5,400-square-foot building, with their office space on the second floor. But private investment alone would not be enough to revitalize the area. Wanzer and Fudge had a vision for a streetscape and began pursuing tax increment financing dollars. Progress was slow, but last year the district had some major victories. Nine buildings in the area were added the National Register of Historic Places. The area also received TIF money to the tune of about $600,000, with an additional $1.9 million from a city general obligation bond. We couldn't start work until we got all the TIF dollars in place, Fudge said.

Brett Hamm, president of Downtown OKC Inc., described Fudge as a visionary who saw tremendous potential on that side of downtown. Hamm said that area will only continue to grow, especially with plans by Devon Energy to build a skyscraper just a few blocks to the east of Film Row. Film Row has been below most people's radar but is about to be much more recognized following the streetscapes and the companies moving in, Hamm said. It's a hidden gem in downtown. Wanzer said that if all goes as planned the streetscape would be completed by the time the Festival of the Arts rolls around next spring. Plans call for streets and sidewalks inlaid with designs of spotlights and film reels. In September, the Film Row streetscape plan will come before the Downtown Design Review Committee. Hans Butzer, co-director of Butzer-Gardner, said the streetscape is one thing that will help put Film Row on the map. A lot of people now are aware of Film Row and sense that there is an energy, but I'm not sure enough has happened visually yet for people to make a beeline for the area, he said. 'We're confident when the streetscapes begin, and with the continued renovations, it's going to be obvious that some serious stuff is going on down here. One major project under way is the renovation of the Film Exchange building at 700 W. Sheridan Ave. The 22,000-square-foot building was built in 1930 and will likely be used for retail, restaurant or art gallery space. Wanzer called the Film Exchange building the keystone of the area. The renovations are under way, he said. Once people start to see activity in that building, they'll really start to notice Film Row.

Though the project has already taken a long time and will surely take several more years of work, Fudge said he is pleased. It is a lot slower than I ever anticipated, he said. But it's been a really fun project, and we're happy with the three buildings we've finished to date The current tenants at the 628 W. Sheridan Ave. building may not stay in that space for the long run, but all said they were committed to keeping their offices on Film Row. My first thought was that it seemed so far out there, Butzer said. But after we moved in, it became more obvious that David had led me to the new frontier in downtown Oklahoma City.

metro
12-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Learning About Film Row and the Film Exchange (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2008/12/18/669/)

Platemaker
12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
There are stacks of drywall thathave been placed on the roof of the Film Exchange building... maybe the inside is getting attention?

metro
03-26-2009, 08:47 AM
http://www.newsok.com/film-rows-developer-sees-oklahoma-city-district-coming-into-focus/article/3356076?custom_click=pod_headline_local-financial-news

Film Row’s developer sees Oklahoma City district coming into focus
Oklahoman
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: March 25, 2009

The IAO Gallery, once the urban pioneer along a blighted stretch of Broadway, is leaving the revitalized Automobile Alley to once again anchor an up and coming district: Film Row.

"They will be urban pioneers again, and we’re thrilled to have them,” said developer Chip Fudge, who is renovating the gallery’s future home at 706 W Sheridan. "The building they’re in was boarded up and the area had similar challenges to what we’re facing now.”

Fudge and designer David Wanzer, leaders of the Film Row redevelopment effort, see the leap being taken by the gallery as part of a growing revival for the stretch of Sheridan Avenue just west of the Myriad Gardens.

During the area’s heyday it was one of 35 film distribution centers across the country, home to branches of Paramount, RKO and 20th Century Fox.

"This is a very forgotten history,” said Wanzer, who admits the public is better aware of the area’s more recent past as a skid row.

Fudge and Wanzer say the area’s future is looking even better with the city spending up to $2.8 million on a streetscape starting this summer that is intended to mirror the sort of makeover done along Automobile Alley a decade ago. Tuesday, Fudge and Wanzer hosted a neighborhood meeting where property owners gave a positive response to joining downtown’s business improvement district.

‘Interest generated’
If a majority of property owners agree to joining the district, Film Row’s streetscape would be assured ongoing upkeep with remaining assessment funds paying for security, marketing or other needs.
Royden Freeland, who opened his ICM operations along Film Row in 1950, said Tuesday’s gathering showed a remarkable amount of community unity. Freeland was among those who expressed an interest in pursuing joining the business improvement district.

"I don’t expect a lot of activity down here anytime soon,” Freeland said. "But there seems to be interest generated, which I find refreshing especially in this economy.”

Freeland credited Fudge with bringing the neighborhood together and praised redevelopment efforts to date, which include renovations that lured in design firms, a mortgage company and other businesses.

Freeland said he is encouraged enough by the progress that he is looking at making improvements to a parking lot and building facades along Sheridan. Fudge, meanwhile, said the gallery renovation will be followed by another building rehabilitation that become home to Wanzer’s firm, and eventually, renovation of the former Hart building into a home for Fudge’s company, Claims Management Resources.

Freeland and Fudge agree that last year’s announcement of a 54-story Devon world headquarters to be built at Sheridan and Hudson avenues also boosted Film Row’s long-term fortunes.

"We get to look brilliant because we bought all this property up before Devon tower was announced,” Fudge said. "But really, it was dumb luck.”

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/552748/w280/
An upcoming streetscape of Film Row will include logos from some of the movie studios that once had screening and distribution offices along the stretch of W Sheridan Avenue. Rendering by Skyline Ink

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/552750/gallery_photo
Several properties along Film Row have been renovated the past couple years, including this stretch at Sheridan and Dewey Avenues. Photo by Steve Lackmeyer, the oklahoman

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/552749/gallery_photo
Chip Fudge Developer of the Film Exchange Building in Film Row

dkbrewer
03-26-2009, 09:51 AM
Good for Film Row, I guess, and glad to see IAO making the best of it as they can. I heard it wasn't their idea to move, but when the building they're in, (ask who owns it) got sold out from under them well before their lease was up, what else could they do but move where their landlord wanted them to? Hope this doesn't hurt them. With upcoming construction and the mess, this struggling but important arts organization may not make it.

betts
03-26-2009, 12:53 PM
I think this would be a great location for an Urban Outfitters. I don't think they'd go in there without more retail, but they love locations like this with street parking and the kind of feel this has.

metro
03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
I disagree betts, I think it'd be much more appropriate for UO along Automobile Alley, specifically in the building on the NW corner of 10th and Broadway, although the building on the NE corner would also work. This area is much more of a major corridor and has and will continue to see retail along this route. It's also closer to more housing units and more visible. Not many people are and will drive through Film Row for quite awhile. Even after Devon is built (4 years out or so), even that will be somewhat of a walk and probably out of the norm. I think it needs to go in AutoAlley or dare I say Bricktown would be the second best choice.

jbrown84
03-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I think IAO will be fine. I don't know anything about them being forced out of their current location. They certainly aren't being forced to be a pioneer again. They could have easily gone to another A-Alley building if they wanted to.

bristolscene
03-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm glad they're working on it! I used to drive Sheridan a lot several years ago and drive past all the abandoned/boarded up buildings. When I was in Oklahoma City just a few weeks ago (I'm at OSU right now) I saw some new places put in since I've been gone! I'm glad the area will probably be revitalized in the near future.

dkbrewer
03-31-2009, 11:47 AM
I think IAO will be fine. I don't know anything about them being forced out of their current location. They certainly aren't being forced to be a pioneer again. They could have easily gone to another A-Alley building if they wanted to.

With rental rates on A-Alley going for $12/sft, ie $6K a month, that not feasible for many small non profit organizations like IAO, which has struggled financially since it's early days.

mturner
03-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I disagree betts, I think it'd be much more appropriate for UO along Automobile Alley, specifically in the building on the NW corner of 10th and Broadway, although the building on the NE corner would also work. This area is much more of a major corridor and has and will continue to see retail along this route. It's also closer to more housing units and more visible. Not many people are and will drive through Film Row for quite awhile. Even after Devon is built (4 years out or so), even that will be somewhat of a walk and probably out of the norm. I think it needs to go in AutoAlley or dare I say Bricktown would be the second best choice.

Agreed. Automobile alley and the visibility there would be great for UO. Also agreed about Sheridan. It looks like a lot of these early businesses are things like mortgage companies, finance, a lot of daytime occupants. Sheridan will be very vacant at night unless some restaurants or bars come in. A retail store would be on their own after business hours. Plus there's still the elephant in the room, the current clientele of the Mission around the corner and that Sheridan is a corridor for a lot of transient people.

jbrown84
03-31-2009, 02:58 PM
With rental rates on A-Alley going for $12/sft, ie $6K a month, that not feasible for many small non profit organizations like IAO, which has struggled financially since it's early days.

So are you saying they were getting a special low rate on their rent where they were?

dkbrewer
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
Lower, sure. That's no secret. IAO went to AA after being across from Stage center back when AA still someones good idea, but mostly empty. A favorable rent from a sympathetic and business savy landlord, is what made that possible. Over the years, IAO's rent has increased along with AA's development. It still didn't keep pace with rising rents. Rents on AA now are out of IAO's reach. The point I 'm making is that they couldn't stay on AA if they wanted to. They're moving to an undeveloped area, in order to keep their current rent for a little longer, but it will go up, just as it has in the past. IMO, they will help contribute to that area. And, when development has outpaced their budget, IAO will have to move again. I'm an infrequent visitor to their current gallery, but frankly don't see myself continuing in their next locale.

metro
04-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm looking forward to their new locale!

BDP
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Me, too, Metro. I don't think there is much downside to this.

Midtowner
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM

UO would be a destination store. In other words, I don't think an inconvenient location would really stand in the way of them doing a lot of business. The businessman in me says that there's a really good shot they'd opt for the extremely low rents to be found in Film Row if there's even the slightest chance they could do the same volume.

betts
04-02-2009, 08:52 PM
UO would be a destination store. In other words, I don't think an inconvenient location would really stand in the way of them doing a lot of business. The businessman in me says that there's a really good shot they'd opt for the extremely low rents to be found in Film Row if there's even the slightest chance they could do the same volume.

Urban likes grungier rows of older buildings for their stores. American Apparel tends to go in in similar locations and stores. I've always been surprised there isn't an UO in Norman, but if they have no plans for one, people will drive to go to one.

edcrunk
04-03-2009, 11:55 AM
i would think urban outfitters would do better on western or along 23rd once things start shaping up there. a lot of their target clientelle live in those neighborhoods.

metro
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
Urban likes grungier rows of older buildings for their stores. American Apparel tends to go in in similar locations and stores. I've always been surprised there isn't an UO in Norman, but if they have no plans for one, people will drive to go to one.

Yeah, their stores in Vegas, Dallas, Cali and other places are real "grungy." I've been to about a dozen of UO stores about half in older buildings and half new flashy stores. I do agree they prefer them but the foot traffic pattern has to make sense and unfortunately Film Row does not yet, Auto Alley would, and has more storefronts for a decent sized retail district.

metro
04-10-2009, 07:38 AM
The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97602)

Film Row welcoming two new neighbors
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record April 10, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – In 2004 Chip Fudge began buying run-down buildings in a forgotten corner of downtown. Five years later his investment in six buildings is paying off.

The area was once a thriving film distribution district, but since the 1960s had fallen into disrepair.Fudge saw merit in the old buildings and believed in the vision of designer David Wanzer for the area.

In the last three years several of the buildings have been renovated, and two new neighbors are joining the district, defined as the 600 and 700 blocks of W. Sheridan Avenue.

The Independent Artists of Oklahoma gallery and offices are moving from Automobile Alley to Film Row, as is residential mortgage company Insight Funding Group, Wanzer said.

A streetscape will be funded by tax increment financing money and a general obligation bond.

Wanzer said the streetscape should go out to bid in the next 30 to 45 days; work is scheduled for completion by the end of the year.
Fudge said he enjoys buying old, historically significant properties.

“I love finding dilapidated, run-down projects and putting them back together again,” he said.

Fudge admitted the road has been long, and expensive, to bring Film Row back to life.
He said he would rather do a project right than do it under budget, an idea that might give his banker some sleepless nights.

Wanzer’s belief in the area’s future was strong enough that he moved his design firm to Film Row. He was joined by a group of architects and engineers that set up shop on the second floor of a renovated building at 628 W. Sheridan Ave.

Wanzer said he felt early on that Film Row was worth saving. The area is only a block from the site of Devon Energy Corp.’s planned world headquarters, which will include a 54-story skyscraper.

“This is one of the last quadrants of the CBD to receive significant attention and investment,” Wanzer said.

Fudge and Wanzer spoke Thursday at the Oklahoma City Commercial Real Estate Council luncheon. CREC President Tim Strange said he wanted the Oklahoma City real estate community to be up to date on all the work Fudge and Wanzer were doing in that area.

Shipwreck
05-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Just wanted to weigh in here...

I have been both heavily involved in the formation of the district since 2003 and the keeper of its unique history. I have a website with a lot of info about it all. I am updating it constantly. There area lots of photos and such on it now. Take a look:

OKC Film Exchange District Homepage (http://www.scriptfolio.net/Film.html)

Bradley Wynn

PS - if for some reason you get an error page or anything other than the Film Exchange site, just keep checking back. I have been dealing with some techincal issues but hope that the site will finally be at peace within a week. Ahh, the miracle of modern technology.

urbanity
08-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Individual Artists of Oklahoma switches sets to make new scene in downtown?s Film Row | OKG Scene.com (http://www.okgazette.com/p/12855/a/3075/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBEAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIAOAAzADcA)

metro
08-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Speaking of Film Row, is the street construction they are doing now, the long overdue and anticipated streetscape project?

Also IAO is seriously needing support right now to stay afloat since they moved. If you can support them, please do. This is a BIG asset to our community and downtown.

loulang2000
08-28-2009, 10:43 AM
By all means, IAO has been a huge asset, one Mr Fudge is obviously banking on to do a repeat of it's success on Automobile Alley. Unfortunately, I think it will take more support that IAO has been shown these past couple of years. IAO seems to work really hard just to stay afloat. Now in an area in shambles during construction, alone on a street with no other nighttime venues...While the future of the area is bright, how will a little organization like this stay afloat when it's struggles to increase it's presence, increase attendance and thereby support?

metro
08-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Please support IAO's 30th Birthday party tomorrow night. I posted a thread on it. As you mentioned, they need the support to stay afloat during these tough times.

jbrown84
08-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Speaking of Film Row, is the street construction they are doing now, the long overdue and anticipated streetscape project?

I've wondered the same. The article doesn't outright say so, but seems to imply it.

metro
09-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Found out last week a local creative agency is moving to Film Row soon. I will be able to release more details soon. Glad to see more positive momentum coming to film row.

Shipwreck
12-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Wasn't sure where to put this in the forum...

My website began getting a lot of hits about the District and I had to take it down to revamp it for 2010. HOWEVER, the research and efforts I've put into the District since 2003 are now being uploaded to my Facebook page for the Oklahoma City Film Exchange District. You will also find notes on current events, along with a slew of photos through every stage. I wanted to share the link here:

FACEBOOK: Oklahoma City Film Exchange District (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-City-Film-Exchange-District/184232698210?ref=mf)

I just recently updated the photo albums with some great new old pics of the Warner Brothers and R.K.O. Pictures building, along with the Video Vumore Tele-TV (former Paramount Pictures) building, and so much more.

I really need some help gathering more photos and am sending out this ...---... (SOS) to all of you: Ask your family, friends, neighbors, and the guy sitting next to you if they have any photos from Oklahoma City within the portion bound by SW 1st/Colcord, Walker Ave., SW 2nd, and Classen Blvd. from years gone by. I also need recollections and memories from long ago about the place. For example, the large open lot on the SW corner of Walker/Sheridan (now a parking and staging area for Devon construction) - what was there?? I found some but need SO MUCH more. Can you help??

Most photos from Sheridan (formerly Grand) Avenue are looking East and are mostly centered around the Colcord Building. There are even fewer photos from California and Main if that area too, with the exception of the former Model T factory on Main and Classen Ave.

This portion of Oklahoma City has its own unique history. But this history and all still images of it are either lost, misplaced, or fading fast as its former residents and employees pass away. Help me preserve this history!

So, dig out your old shoeboxes filled with photos and work those little gray cells to help me share the wonderful story of our new downtown Oklahoma City Film Exchange District!

betts
12-06-2009, 01:33 PM
This is a great area with a lot of potential. I'm really excited to see what's being done there. Can't help you with its history however. I discovered it a few years back when I took a wrong turn. I think that was the first time I'd ever seen it. I remember thinking what a great group of buildings it was, and how cool it would be to see it developed. So, good luck to you in your search.

Shipwreck
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
So maybe you guys can help me confirm something - and forgive my historic research ignorance, btw. I am learning as I go where to find things :doh:

So I am chasing a rumor that the cotton exchange once occuppied the Film Exchange building back in the day. How would I track that tid bit of info down? I'm not sure where to begin, as when I look up the coton exchange I keep getting info nowhere close but the source I have is pretty good. Help?

Pete
12-08-2009, 02:35 PM
Shipwreck, our resident history experts are Steve Lackmeyer (username: Steve) and Doug Loudenback.

Since no one responded to your inquiry, you might try shooting both of them a PM.

Doug Loudenback
12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Sorry ... I didn't pick up on this one. After I finish my MAPS obsessing, I'll return but maybe Steve or someone else will chime in sooner.

flintysooner
12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Maybe you've tried Hillerman Collection - Oklahoma Historical Society (http://okhistory.org/research/hillerman/results.php?mapnoinput=4z&action=Search) but thought I'd post it

Shipwreck
12-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Just wanted to follow-up...

I just added a lot more photos to the facebook page I set up for the Oklahoma City Film Exchange District research I've been doing since 2003.

I really would like to get as many people aware of this page as possible as it can help with telling the story of the Film Exchange network and help save these historically significant buildings. Right now, I'm looking at the original Film Exchange building from 1928 that is destined for destruction but its current owners would like to see it saved. I have presented a map of the building location in the Core to Shore rendering and have shared my argument for why it should be saved and how it could be a contributing structure.

Anyhoot - here is the link to the page. SHARE IT!! I really need historical input from folks who may know something about or worked in that area. I also need PHOTOS of this portion of downtown. Feel free to email me via the facebook page or simply post a comment or response. THANK YOU!!!

LINK to the Oklahoma City Film Exchange District research Facebook page:

Oklahoma City Film Exchange District | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-City-Film-Exchange-District/184232698210)

- Bradley

Platemaker
04-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Recognize this Art Deco Building???
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/11NLee.jpg

Of course you don't!
It's 11. N. Lee and metal sheeting was just removed from it's facade and workers are cleaning up the exterior. Snapped this photo on my lunch break.

Film Row coming along nicely.

jonno
04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the photo. Looking at google street view it looks like they had to tear out several Bradford Pear trees. Maybe they can be replaced with trees better suited to an urban environment.

MikeOKC
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Recognize this Art Deco Building???
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/11NLee.jpg

Of course you don't!
It's 11. N. Lee and metal sheeting was just removed from it's facade and workers are cleaning up the exterior. Snapped this photo on my lunch break.

Film Row coming along nicely.

Are those windows glass blocks? Very nice.

metro
04-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Nice find Platemaker. I hope they are able to restore the theatre in that building. I went to a screening there a few years back when I was working for a movie company and they were trying to get Film Row off the ground back then. What a beautiful facade.

USG '60
04-09-2010, 08:44 AM
That should clean up quite nicely.

Shipwreck
09-03-2010, 12:44 AM
First let me apologize. I haven't posted here in a loooooong time. :doh:

As many of you know, there are a lot of things happening on that short stretch of Sheridan Avenue in between Walker and Classen. I wanted to make this post so that those who were interested could learn more.

I have setup a Facebook page for my research efforts in the Film District, as it was MUCH easier than trying to keep a webpage going. Here is the link: Oklahoma City Film Exchange District (http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Oklahoma-City-Film-Exchange-District/184232698210)

I have also revived the original newsletter I conceived in 2006 for the District Planning, and now use it to share the history of the area, along with current events there. You can find the newsletters here: OKC Film Exchange District Newsletter Homepage (http://www.scriptfolio.net/Film.html) I've also included an historic directory of exchanges just along Sheridan Avenue from 1926-1965 in the second issue which some of you might find fun to read.

I have a book coming out under Arcadia Publishing soon entitled Oklahoma City: FILM ROW and am pretty excited about that as it will no doubt bring a lot more info and images to the forefront for a second and more thorough work. I don't do any of this for the money (because us Historians know there ain't none of that in the 'treasures' we find) but I do love it. So if you can help in any way with info, photos, contacts, and tidbits along the way from your own extensive research and knowledge, it will be most welcome.

This is a unique chapter in OKC's history and I hope to share it with as many as possible and preserve it for future generations. - Bradley :tiphat:

metro
09-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey Brad good to hear from you again. Yes Film Row is shaping up. I shot some video there this past week and plan on posting it soon for everyone. Glad that you are ramping up efforts again. The old (Paramount building I think) is looking nice now that the aluminum cladding has been torn off. The side streets are really cleaning up as well. Can't wait to buy the book.

Shipwreck
09-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey Metro - great to hear from you again too! Yep - lots happening and I've photographed and filmed it every step of the way, since starting in 2003. I now have literally thousands of images of the area, before and after.

The historic images have been surprising too - what few I've been able to find. I can't wait to share them all in the new book. Here is a link to the cover that we approved:

Oklahoma City: FILM ROW from Arcadia Publishing (http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=184232698210&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/photo.php?pid=3593197&fbid=380140853210&op=1&view=all&subj=424920398708&aid=-1&auser=0&oid=424920398708&id=184232698210)

I'm looking forward to learning more after the book comes out, as I'm sure people will suddenly remember this or that and provide even more for a second book. I'm also already planning another book about our amazing Drive-In history too!

I would love to see what you've captured over time in the area. I go there every Wednesday and then on to the History Center. I was followed one day too. Here is a great little number that Channel 9's Darren Brown did (THANK DARREN!):

Digging Up Oklahoma City's Reel History (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12876926)

Bradley

metro
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM
I remember the old Film Row meetings we used to have. I think I saw myself in 1 or 2 of those photos. Miss working in that industry, it was fun.

Spartan
09-03-2010, 11:30 PM
I remember the old Film Row meetings we used to have. I think I saw myself in 1 or 2 of those photos.

Metro just out-metroed himself I think.

Platemaker
10-28-2010, 05:16 PM
At Lee and Sheridan half of the star in the intersection is complete.... looks great.

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 05:18 PM
pics? :)

Platemaker
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Going to take some.... be up in 15-20

therondo
10-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Awesome!

HOT ROD
10-28-2010, 05:31 PM
thanks Platemaker!

I only say pics, because Im not in the city. lol.

Platemaker
10-28-2010, 06:13 PM
Ok .... whats with this 'exceeds quota business'?

Platemaker
10-28-2010, 06:32 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0924.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0918.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0921.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0922.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0925.jpghttp://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/OKC%20Development/Photo0926.jpg

PS- I don't like the new way you attach photos... very confusing

Dustin
10-28-2010, 06:38 PM
FRICKIN AWESOME!! I can't wait til its all complete!

SkyWestOKC
10-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice!!!! Very impressed!