View Full Version : OKC Weather 9/2/10

ssandedoc
09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Why do we have to have nonstop coverage of a simple weather storm? It produces heavy rain, winds, and some hail its not like the world is coming to an end.

Dustin
09-02-2010, 06:33 PM
You haven't lived here long, have you?

jn1780
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Because pictures of tipped over construction trailers, powerlines, and bradford pears that fall over when you blow on them, sells! LOL

Watson410
09-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I've lived here 25 years and I think it's stupid! It's a thunderstorm not a tornado... there's no reason for nonstop coverage.

hipsterdoofus
09-02-2010, 07:18 PM
I've lived here 25 years and I think it's stupid! It's a thunderstorm not a tornado... there's no reason for nonstop coverage.

Because we haven't had significant rain in over a month :-P

Architect2010
09-02-2010, 07:36 PM
If you guys are so terribly upset about continuous weather coverage of a thunderstorm then try flipping the channel! Or maybe shutting off your television all together and spending time with family or something more productive. On the same note, if anyone has lived here for a prolonged amount of time then you know how much Oklahoma weather changes. Be glad that they do show continuous weather coverage because you never know when a tornado will sweep out of the sky and destroy everything around you. Because you know, when you're dead, you can't really complain about continuous weather coverage now can you? XD

fuzzytoad
09-02-2010, 07:52 PM
If you guys are so terribly upset about continuous weather coverage of a thunderstorm then try flipping the channel! Or maybe shutting off your television all together and spending time with family or something more productive. On the same note, if anyone has lived here for a prolonged amount of time then you know how much Oklahoma weather changes. Be glad that they do show continuous weather coverage because you never know when a tornado will sweep out of the sky and destroy everything around you. Because you know, when you're dead, you can't really complain about continuous weather coverage now can you? XD

Agreed 1000%

When, unfortunately, the major networks fail to interrupt 'Celebrity Douchebag' in order to switch over to weather coverage and there's a major event that causes millions in damages and a number of deaths; everyone whining about constant coverage will suddenly be up-in-arms against the local stations...

dmoor82
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I Think OKC with it's proximity to Norman's NWS and our fine Meteorologist on channels 4,5,9,12 put's OKC on a different level than all other metros!Our storm predictions and coverage makes OKC a The Most forewarned city in America!So I appreciate all that they do!

Dustin
09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I Think OKC with it's proximity to Norman's NWS and our fine Meteorologist on channels 4,5,9,12 put's OKC on a different level than all other metros!Our storm predictions and coverage makes OKC a The Most forewarned city in America!So I appreciate all that they do!

A big DITTO!

kbsooner
09-02-2010, 09:56 PM
who watches live TV anymore? Solution = DVR

Somna
09-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Did anybody else see the perfect double rainbow? From uptown, it was east over the capital. Here's a picture (http://twitpic.com/2ko6fq) (not mine.) There were two perfect arcs from where I stood, and the lower rainbow was the brightest I've ever seen, with perfectly distinct bands of color. Both rainbows were fully visible from end to end on the eastern horizon. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a camera. Unfortunately, my first and only instinct was to run next door and tell the neighbors, lol.

SkyWestOKC
09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
who watches live TV anymore? Solution = DVR

*cough* *cough* Ugh, Jeeee, yeah who watches live TV anymore, what losers.

*cough*

Thunder
09-03-2010, 03:48 AM
There is really no reason for people to complain about the continuous weather coverages. It gives people a peace of mind to know what is happening. Without it, people could start panicking thinking a tornado is coming.

This is a sad topic, cuz Venture is not around. He hasn't been for several months. :-(

flintysooner
09-03-2010, 05:52 AM
I really enjoy Oklahoma weather and I enjoy watching the TV coverage of storms not to mention benefiting from the information itself. Can't imagine what TV shows would be more interesting than weather coverage especially right now.

It is true about the DVR, too. Although I already have more stuff recorded than I will ever watch.

ssandedoc
09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
There is really no reason for people to complain about the continuous weather coverages. It gives people a peace of mind to know what is happening. Without it, people could start panicking thinking a tornado is coming.

This is a sad topic, cuz Venture is not around. He hasn't been for several months. :-(

That's why we have sirens. The continuous weather coverage is over the top especially when you listen to meteorologists like Mike Morgan. I think they have gotten worse in recent years and interrupt programming for almost anything. Can't the little map in the corner of the screen suffice for non-tornado related weather?

BDP
09-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't watch much network TV, so I'm not missing anything when they go to weather coverage. However, I do think it is ridiculous when they will preempt all programming to show a rain storm, then when it gets to their regular news time slot they immediately switch to their totally meaningless commentary of over sensationalized coverage of completely irrelevant regional events.

Bunty
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Did anybody else see the perfect double rainbow? From uptown, it was east over the capital. Here's a picture (http://twitpic.com/2ko6fq) (not mine.) There were two perfect arcs from where I stood, and the lower rainbow was the brightest I've ever seen, with perfectly distinct bands of color. Both rainbows were fully visible from end to end on the eastern horizon. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a camera. Unfortunately, my first and only instinct was to run next door and tell the neighbors, lol.

No, but I saw KFOR's live coverage from their copter of Kingfisher shown being enveloped by clouds of dust and rain as a storm in. I think that was highly impressive.

cdbthunder
09-03-2010, 02:06 PM
It doesn't do any good to DVR it when half of the recorded program is missed by the interruptions. I'm just saying.

Thunder
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
There was high wind damages being at least 60 mph upward. It was possible that the storm could collapse causing straight line wind damage similar to a small tornado.

kevinpate
09-03-2010, 06:07 PM
It doesn't do any good to DVR it when half of the recorded program is missed by the interruptions. I'm just saying.

When ick weather is expected, I tend to set the dvr to record the show before and, depending on how much weather, another 1-2 show slots afterward as well.

nik4411
09-03-2010, 09:00 PM

this is what i was thinking. you could record it but you're still just going to get the weather coverage.

and i can see the original posters point. sometimes it is very aggravating. for me its only when a football or basketball game is interrupted.
but there really is just waaay too much tv these days.

Bunty
09-04-2010, 12:31 AM
It doesn't do any good to DVR it when half of the recorded program is missed by the interruptions. I'm just saying.But KFOR didn't interrupt America's Got Talent. But then I guess many people hate America's Got Talent and make it a point never to waste time watching it.

Larry OKC
09-04-2010, 12:47 AM
But if that's the case, no one would be upset if AGT was interrupted? LOL

I have no problem with "breaking news" interruptions when life or property is in danger (damaging hail, hurricane force winds, tornadoes etc). Anything else probably doesn't require a weather break-in (can easily be handled with live radar maps and "crawls"). Save the break-ins for the important stuff, otherwise it can become a case of "crying wolf". They are a lot better than they used to be. Now they even break-in on the commercials and they make a point to mention that you aren't missing any programming. There was one time, they did a break in during the program to tell you nothing was happening. Seriously. This was hours after the storms had passed and were out of the viewing area.

HOT ROD
09-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I agree that they shouldn't interrupt TV programming unless it is a severe storm. They SHOULD interrupt for non-severe storms during commercials, though. .... When a network show goes to commercial - in comes the weatherman (haha), then it goes back to the show.

This is what I remember most from living in OKC, that and the weather Oklahoma pnp's they put in.

So are you guys telling me that they interrupt programming for non-severe events?

In Seattle, we don't even get weather warnings; yes, I admit we don't often get severe weather, but in the once-in-a-year chance we do see a severe thunderstorm (or better yet - Thunderstorm); there is no mention of it until the actual news show.

I think OKC is the most consistent/dynamic weather market in America and OKC happens to be a major city, hence the competition to out-do the next TV/Radio station. Be thankful for what you guys have, it could be much worse with no-coverage/warning. ....

okcpulse
09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Ever since my wife and I moved to craphole Texas any severe weather gets zero coverage, and we live around a bunch of match-stick pine trees that blow over in hurricane-force winds. Last year there was a small tornado in Conroe. Since Conroe has no tornado sirens, we had no warning whatsoever. It grazed our neighborhood and there was nothing but tree damage, but that is not the point. On TV, the local news just threw up a tiny three-count map, painted the county that had the tornado warning and left us to fend for ourselves. No information on speed, heading, intensity or exact location. It's a joke.

We miss Oklahoma City's weather coverage, because it gives us the information we need to make a decision on whether we need to take cover, get out of harm's way or if we even need to take any action. And since most of what is on TV is complete crap (I have been migrating to XBOX Live for all of my programming and will eventually end my cable service), it doesn't matter to me what gets interrupted. We can't wait to get back to OKC.