View Full Version : Jury Duty Question

okc_bel_air
08-31-2010, 09:03 AM
I have been summonsed for jury duty starting Sept. 13th. This is also the same day the pharmacy shooting trial is to begin. Will they have already picked a jury prior to this or is there a chance I could get picked?

BBatesokc
08-31-2010, 09:04 AM
That is a jury week. So, you could be picked for one of any of the trials set for that week. Based on today's paper, I wouldn't hold my breath that the Ersland Trial is going to start that week.

hoya
08-31-2010, 09:58 AM
If the Ersland trial goes that week, they'll pick a jury that week. So yes, there's a chance you could be on it. There are, however, a lot of other trials that will be going on.

jbkrems
08-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, you will have to appear in the Jury Assembly Room, and it could be that trial, or a number of other trials occurring that week.

OKCisOK4me
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
I guess I need to check my mail...

kevinpate
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Considering the state is seeking to have the current scheduled judge step down, I think odds are a bit low for the trial to proceed next month

okc_bel_air
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Thanks everyone.

I know that there are other cases I can be called on. I was just curious about the pharmacy shooting. I am sure I am like others in that I do not want to be stuck on a case that may last weeks or months.

Hope they delay the case.

BBatesokc
08-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Personally, I have zero desire to ever serve on a jury. Fortunately I doubt I'd ever make it through Voir dire. I love watching trials but the jury process does not appeal to me, it certainly does not eliminate bias, much of the case is never divulged to the jury and the experience can be a complete inconvenience. That said, it serves a purpose and is a person's duty if called - I'm just no fan. Frustrating that many people I know simply throw the summons away and never acknowledge receiving it.

fuzzytoad
08-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I thought the Ersland trial was moved to Edmond?

BBatesokc
08-31-2010, 01:19 PM
I thought the Ersland trial was moved to Edmond?

That wouldn't make any sense. Edmond is still Oklahoma County. It would have to be moved to another county.

fuzzytoad
08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
lol, ok... Maybe it was something I dreamed

BBatesokc
08-31-2010, 01:36 PM
The judge just stepped Down! Word is a criminal defendant was wired up by the DA's office and got the judge on tape making very concerning comments regarding the case and criminal defense Atty. Joe Brett Reynolds.

kevinpate
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
NewsOK piece I saw a bit ago indicated the DA office may seek to have the specific judge step down in any cases involving that attorney.

Hadn't heard it was a defendant that was wired. Interesting tidbit.

redrunner
08-31-2010, 04:58 PM
While we're on the topic.... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100830/ap_on_re_us/us_facebook_juror

BBatesokc
08-31-2010, 07:11 PM
NewsOK piece I saw a bit ago indicated the DA office may seek to have the specific judge step down in any cases involving that attorney.

Hadn't heard it was a defendant that was wired. Interesting tidbit.

It's an oxycotin defendant and friend of the judge who wore the wire. Watch KFOR at 10pm, Ali Meyer is going to break the story.

okc_bel_air
09-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Well they moved the trial to December 6th. O'wait, now I get my letter stating they have moved my summons for jury duty to December 6th. Are they trying to stuff the jury pool to make sure they have plenty to chose from for this specific trial?

Thunder
09-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Just go down there or call thru Relay telling them that you are "deaf" and that you have some sort of "challenges" which will certainly prevent yourself from serving the whole process. Just be creative....and you'll be excused

kevinpate
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Well they moved the trial to December 6th. O'wait, now I get my letter stating they have moved my summons for jury duty to December 6th. Are they trying to stuff the jury pool to make sure they have plenty to chose from for this specific trial?

I don't know if the December 6 week is another regular docket call for jury trials or if the pharmacist trial has been specially set due to the reassignment. However, it doesn't really matter.

In light of rather extensive pre-trial publicity, they will need enough folks to try and get past all the done decided folk (from either direction), all the I hate and would never believe a word that X says, irrespective of whether X is involved with state or defense, all those who can't be seated for one statutory reason or another, and the ones who one side or the other just decides to send packing for their own reasons.

The number of folk who will say they've made up their minds, even if only to avoid serving, will be larger than the number of folks who have decided in their heads, but won't say they have. Yeah, those latter folk exist too, and in both directions. Jury pickin' is an interestin' exercise anytime there is a high profile case.

skyrick
09-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Just go down there or call thru Relay telling them that you are "deaf" and that you have some sort of "challenges" which will certainly prevent yourself from serving the whole process. Just be creative....and you'll be excused

What a lazy and selfish attitude! I hope that (god forbid) if you are ever a defendant in a jury trial you get better than just 12 people who couldn't be creative enough to dodge jury duty.

Thunder
09-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I dodged jury duty once before. :-D

rcjunkie
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Why am I not shocked, you are privliged to live in the greatest country in the world and tell lies to get out of your civic duty--you should be ashamed.

Thunder
09-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Why am I not shocked, you are privliged to live in the greatest country in the world and tell lies to get out of your civic duty--you should be ashamed.

I didn't tell a lie. You should be ashamed of yourself for failing hardcore. All I did was inform the person I am deaf and the person immediately dismissed the summon without discussion of providing an interpreter.

Midtowner
09-06-2010, 08:52 PM

Lying to avoid jury duty is a crime.

skyrick
09-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Why does that not surprise me?