View Full Version : OU Projects

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

BG918
02-18-2015, 10:43 AM
I wish it was a different style design rather than the typical suburban stucco thing, but what are ya gonna do? It's geared to college kids but it would have been neat to meld with the neighborhood design a little better....brick or something. whatev

Looks like a mix of brick and stucco similar to The Edge in OKC.

That whole area east of Trout is ripe for redevelopment. I could see it eventually being full of higher density apartments from Boyd to Brooks by the tracks, eventually spilling north of Boyd. Which is perfect for having a high residential density next to eventual commuter rail.

Spartan
02-24-2015, 04:56 PM
I'd really like to see the east and north side of the campus get developed because at some point the train station near Main will be within walking distance of many, which will hasten the commuter rail from Norman to downtown OKC.

It would benefit the university and City greatly to have a much stronger link, and the rail line would go a long way towards that.

Rather than spending $100+ million on a streetcar, most of urban Norman could actually be well-served with just a few stops on the BNSF corridor.

I do NOT think this project is as nice as The Edge on first blush. Let's just hope that Norman doesn't reject it...

YO MUDA
03-03-2015, 05:53 PM
OU is currently raising money for this project. Just like the stadium they will start once they have sufficient funds and the design is finalized. More on the project:

The residential college concept was created at Oxford University and Cambridge University in the United Kingdom and has proven successful at colleges and universities in the United States. OU is the first university in the state and Big 12 and one of the first public universities to adopt this model. The colleges will have their own dining rooms, study areas and intramural teams, crests and mottos. Ten faculty fellows will have offices in the colleges and seminar rooms will also be included. Parking will be located nearby.

The proposed new housing facilities will accommodate approximately 600 students in a mix of room, suite and semi-suite configurations. The facilities will including dining, faculty housing, student lounge areas and other organizational and academic amenities.
April 6 is the start date we just received at the Landscape Dept. We were told the parking lot South of Lindsey will be shut down as well as the parking lot west of Jenkins to Houston Huffman, where a 5 story parking garage will be built.

UrbanNorman
03-04-2015, 08:28 AM
Pete,

The City and OU/IQC are in the process of working on a "Central City Norman" vision for this area you are talking about, so I would think development would shortly follow.

It's great to see that nasty complex getting demolished!

Unfortunately, it is looking like the form based code derived from the center city vision process will end up being an overlay district, so the form based code will be optional. Very disappointing, in my eyes, as this had a lot of potential to spur the right kind of medium-density "missing middle" development that the core Norman area needs. Once an overlay is put in place, it is hard to once again gain the momentum to make it mandatory.

HangryHippo
03-04-2015, 09:11 AM
There was a video on YouTube awhile back that offered a pretty in-depth look of the new residential college. For some reason, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and possibly have a link to it?

Geographer
03-04-2015, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately, it is looking like the form based code derived from the center city vision process will end up being an overlay district, so the form based code will be optional. Very disappointing, in my eyes, as this had a lot of potential to spur the right kind of medium-density "missing middle" development that the core Norman area needs. Once an overlay is put in place, it is hard to once again gain the momentum to make it mandatory.

Ah, that's disappointing to hear.

KayneMo
03-06-2015, 09:27 PM
There was a video on YouTube awhile back that offered a pretty in-depth look of the new residential college. For some reason, I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about and possibly have a link to it?

I think I know what video you're referring to, and I can't find it anywhere neither! It was a visualization done by KWK Architects out of St. Louis. I even checked their website and it's not on there anymore.

HangryHippo
03-24-2015, 01:33 PM
I think I know what video you're referring to, and I can't find it anywhere neither! It was a visualization done by KWK Architects out of St. Louis. I even checked their website and it's not on there anymore.

I found the link to the video where I had seen it originally but YouTube says the video does not exist. Strange.

Pete
04-10-2015, 04:34 PM
They closed off the parking lots south of Lindsey to start work on the residential colleges this week.

Also, on 4/17 they dedicate the renovated and expanded Hester Hall; very, very nice:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/normantranscript.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/33/c33735cf-ea46-5b55-a309-88faf95d587f/55254907adc53.image.jpg?resize=760%2C403

Martin
04-10-2015, 04:41 PM
nice... when i was at ou a bit over a decade ago, hester hall really needed some love. this looks great. -M

BG918
04-12-2015, 03:29 PM
New residential colleges on Lindsey. The new parking garage is to the south next to the Huffman Center where the aquatics center was going to go. I've heard the new plan is to upgrade and expand the Huffman to the south and add the aquatics center there once the parking garage is finished. It's still in the early planning stages.

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kgou/files/styles/x_large/public/201503/150310_Residential_College_01.jpg

Pete
04-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Very nice!

Note the structched parking on the far left of the image. I suppose that will be for this complex as well as Heddington Hall.

Pete
04-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Couple more:

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/oudaily.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/0b/20bbefa2-c784-11e4-ab3e-3f3f440dfade/54ff8a48ca1c4.image.png?resize=760%2C696

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kgou/files/styles/medium/public/201503/150310_Residential_College_02.jpg

Just the facts
04-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Personally I think OU is making a mistake by growing south instead of north and connecting to downtown Norman. Imagine if this many students were within easy walking distance of downtown Norman.

HangryHippo
04-12-2015, 08:38 PM
Personally I think OU is making a mistake by growing south instead of north and connecting to downtown Norman. Imagine if this many students were within easy walking distance of downtown Norman.

I agree with you on this. I'd like to see OU start buying properties north to downtown Norman just west of the tracks. Lots of opportunities for improvement in that area.

Geographer
04-13-2015, 02:20 PM
I don't think growing south and filling in surface parking lots is a mistake at all...especially since they already own the property. If OU were to buy properties and do this kind of project at this scale north of campus corner they would have to assemble properties and tear down homes. Kudos to OU for filling in surface lots along Lindsey Street...

Edit: I see in the rendering that they are showing a 4-lane Lindsey street through this part of campus... :(

HangryHippo
04-13-2015, 02:54 PM
I don't think growing south and filling in surface parking lots is a mistake at all...especially since they already own the property. If OU were to buy properties and do this kind of project at this scale north of campus corner they would have to assemble properties and tear down homes. Kudos to OU for filling in surface lots along Lindsey Street...

Edit: I see in the rendering that they are showing a 4-lane Lindsey street through this part of campus... :(

Geographer, I agree that filling in the surface lots that they already own is preferable to having to assemble new properties. I'm really just disappointed with how the south campus has turned out. I had higher hopes for that area as they were starting with a clean slate.

zachj7
04-13-2015, 02:57 PM
They better add a ton more parking...

shavethewhales
04-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Here's the other big OU project that might get off the ground soon: OU's Air Force ROTC to leave historic building this summer | Oklahoman.com (http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5409444&headline=OU%27s%20Air%20Force%20ROTC%20to%20leave% 20historic%20building%20this%20summer&embargo=1)

When I was still a student in the OU COE last year it was widely acknowledge that the college plans to put a big new building there that among other things will have some large classrooms for freshman-level courses. The COE has talked about doing things like making it's own Calculus program, since the math department at OU isn't great and has been a problem for keeping engineering students in the program. In any case, the COE needs a LOT more space.

Craddock Hall was supposed to be a temporary structure for the war. Felgar Hall has built so that it could be eventually doubled in size with a wing extending over Craddock's footprint. I don't think they're planning on expanding Felgar at this point... I hope they don't try to knock Felgar down to replace it with the new building either - that building is a bit outdated, but it is a very early university building and I consider it to be one of campus's treasures. It also has a lot of useful small rooms. Lots of good memories there.

Pete
04-13-2015, 05:03 PM
Yeah, this building is right in the middle of the growing engineering area, with the new practice facility immediately east and Devon Hall to the north.

Would love to know exactly what they plan to building there.

They must have definite plans to be kicking out the ROTC.

Geographer
04-14-2015, 07:10 AM
They better add a ton more parking...

There's plenty of surface parking all over campus, especially at LNC...People just have to realize that parking is premium and might have to *gasp* actually take the short bus/walk/bike trip from the LNC parking lots to campus...

Geographer
04-14-2015, 07:12 AM
They closed off the parking lots south of Lindsey to start work on the residential colleges this week.

Also, on 4/17 they dedicate the renovated and expanded Hester Hall; very, very nice:

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/normantranscript.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/33/c33735cf-ea46-5b55-a309-88faf95d587f/55254907adc53.image.jpg?resize=760%2C403

I remember a few years ago I had to visit my Economics professors in this building...it was definitely in terrible shape, so I'm glad to see it renovated!

Just the facts
04-14-2015, 08:03 AM
There's plenty of surface parking all over campus, especially at LNC...People just have to realize that parking is premium and might have to *gasp* actually take the short bus/walk/bike trip from the LNC parking lots to campus...

If they expanded the campus north towards downtown it would be possible to attend OU for 4 years and not even own a car, especially with commuter rail coming to Norman some day. Isolating students even more from the needs of daily life isn't the solution.

AP
04-14-2015, 08:05 AM
I would like to point out that at OU and OSU, not only is that possible, it happens way more than you think. There are thousands of international students that live that reality already. Sure, we should make it easier for Americans I guess, but I don't know that anything will really change.

Just the facts
04-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Kids in college today are part of the non-driving generation. My own son is ONLY looking at colleges where he doesn't have to drive. He simply doesn't want to spend his money on owning a car. My youngest son has already decided he wants to go to college in Europe.

His top 4:
1) Savannah College of Art and Design - Savannah
2) Palm Beach Atlantic - West Palm Beach
3) Florida State College Jacksonville - downtown Jax
4) College of Charleston

ou48A
04-14-2015, 11:12 AM
I would like to point out that at OU and OSU, not only is that possible, it happens way more than you think. There are thousands of international students that live that reality already. Sure, we should make it easier for Americans I guess, but I don't know that anything will really change.

To your point.... private development financing will mean that its cost vs benefit will largely be the bottom line that determines what is done. But OU can help facilitate the new density by locating more new housing and major destination stops near the heart of it's campus. But building on already developed land raises the bar for private financing, particularly when there are so many small lots to be acquired.

Limited private land near OU will eventually limit OU’s growth... so better access to OU’s main campus will be needed and it is on the distant horizon with several improved streets and commuter rail.

Many of the downtown Norman buildings are coming to the end of their useful life’s and will need to be replaced in the next 30 to 50 years….It can cost millions to bring these near dilapidated buildings up to city / state and national codes. It will be smarter to spend these millions close to where the actual location of a strong majority people are.

ou48A
04-14-2015, 11:20 AM
I believe all the new OU tornado shelters are completed….?
The one I saw had a very, very high profile!
Without a doubt it would not be my first choice for shelter in an EF-5…. But it’s better than an apartment?

hfry
04-14-2015, 12:07 PM
If they expanded the campus north towards downtown it would be possible to attend OU for 4 years and not even own a car, especially with commuter rail coming to Norman some day. Isolating students even more from the needs of daily life isn't the solution.

While I agree it doesn't happen nearly enough and by enough people I know plenty that make it work. Norman's bus system is pretty great and free to student and there is no where in Norman where it really can't get you. Commuter rail will be huge because it will help tie campus to the east which I think is a direction that is often forgotten. With the duck pond and all the housing that is going on, building on some of the surface lots and maybe moving the track facility to over by the golf course could really help make everything complete IMO. And while I understand your point on connecting campus to downtown norman I think it is over rated what can actually be done there at the present time. I don't know many student who go downtown other than bars/ entertainment or tattoos. What I do think would be awesome would be building around campus corner and really bring more housing north of campus compared to the south. I'd love to see four dorms like those above be built to the north, possibly over by sarkeys.

hfry
04-14-2015, 12:10 PM

While I agree it doesn't happen nearly enough and by enough people I know plenty that make it work. Norman's bus system is pretty great and free to student and there is no where in Norman where it really can't get you. Commuter rail will be huge because it will help tie campus to the east which I think is a direction that is often forgotten. With the duck pond and all the housing that is going on, building on some of the surface lots and maybe moving the track facility to over by the golf course could really help make everything complete IMO. And while I understand your point on connecting campus to downtown norman I think it is over rated what can actually be done there at the present time. I don't know many student who go downtown other than bars/ entertainment or tattoos. What I do think would be awesome would be building around campus corner and really bring more housing north of campus compared to the south. I'd love to see four dorms like those above be built to the north, possibly over by sarkeys.

edit. I did forget to add that with a commuter train I see a downtown location but also a OU campus location which would mean things to the east. There is plenty of room to build a big station and if fact, CART(clevland area rapid transit) just moved their main OU station over just north of the track facilities for what I think they plan on being a intermural hub with the railroad since it is so close.

HangryHippo
04-14-2015, 12:17 PM

Your post reminded me, but I really wish OU would move the track facility to the south, closer to the other sports' facilities. Also, I hate that the Everett Indoor Training Facility is located where it is. It's such an ugly vantage point coming into campus from the east. And without those two facilities in their current locations, OU could really do something great spreading toward the tracks and duck pond area.

hfry
04-14-2015, 12:22 PM
I agree ^^^ althought with Everett I don't see football every allowing it to be moved because of how close they want it for their practices. Yet, by moving track and such I think you just build around it with more of these residential colleges and hopefully more class buildings and just add it to the environment instead of it sticking out like a sore thumb.

HangryHippo
04-14-2015, 02:41 PM
I agree ^^^ althought with Everett I don't see football every allowing it to be moved because of how close they want it for their practices. Yet, by moving track and such I think you just build around it with more of these residential colleges and hopefully more class buildings and just add it to the environment instead of it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Yeah, it's a pipe dream of epic proportions as far as Everett ever being moved. Football would never allow it. But some colleges in that setting would have been awesome; I would have loved living in a residence there.

BG918
04-14-2015, 08:46 PM
Your post reminded me, but I really wish OU would move the track facility to the south, closer to the other sports' facilities. Also, I hate that the Everett Indoor Training Facility is located where it is. It's such an ugly vantage point coming into campus from the east. And without those two facilities in their current locations, OU could really do something great spreading toward the tracks and duck pond area.

I've always said the perfect place for a new basketball arena is the Duck Pond lot/track. Move the track to the Intramural fields near Huntington Hall. Continue to expand the engineering/technology quad south on Jenkins toward Brooks with more dense housing east of Trout. This is where there is already a large new apartment development going in to replace Bishops Landing. A future OU commuter rail stop could be right there at Brooks.

YO MUDA
04-16-2015, 01:33 PM
I believe all the new OU tornado shelters are completed….?
The one I saw had a very, very high profile!
Without a doubt it would not be my first choice for shelter in an EF-5…. But it’s better than an apartment?Nope, not finished yet. The trucks hauling the bricks showed up today, and the interior is far from finished.

ou48A
04-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Nope, not finished yet. The trucks hauling the bricks showed up today, and the interior is far from finished.

I was told by an OU employee a few days ago that they were “tornado safe” …. is that wrong? Thanks.
I have wondered why they didn’t mound up dirt on the sides…. It would make it stronger in a tornado?

Robert_M
04-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Here is the information on the plans about the wind ratings. As shown it is rated up to 250 mph winds which is above the EF-5 starting point. Rated that high they probably wanted to make it look nice and fit in with the area.

YO MUDA
04-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Here is the information on the plans about the wind ratings. As shown it is rated up to 250 mph winds which is above the EF-5 starting point. Rated that high they probably wanted to make it look nice and fit in with the area.

10638I work at Kraplee Apt, and believe me its not ready.

Pete
04-27-2015, 10:14 AM
I was in Norman on Saturday and walked most the campus.

Hester Hall looks amazing. And as has become the tradition, the backside of the building is equally nice, with an outdoor patio, teak furniture and a fountain.

In fact, everywhere you turn on that campus these days there are gardens, benches, patios, umbrellas, teak outdoor furniture, public art and fountains. It's amazing the amount of improvement and attention to detail that has happened in the Boren era.

Also, the new Scholars Walk is a huge upgrade to not only the street that was there previously, but the bike lanes and sidewalks also mean no cars at all on the South Oval and it's a million times better.

BG918
04-27-2015, 01:39 PM
Also, the new Scholars Walk is a huge upgrade to not only the street that was there previously, but the bike lanes and sidewalks also mean no cars at all on the South Oval and it's a million times better.

At one time they were going to add a cycle track/bike lane along Brooks Mall from Elm to Jenkins, and a similar lane along the west side of the South Oval to connect the dorms with a track that runs around the library to the North Oval. Hopefully that's still the plan as there needs to be more separation between pedestrians and bikes on campus sidewalks where they currently mix.

Rendering from before they did the bus roundabout:
http://www.altaplanning.com/wp-content/uploads/University-of-Oklahoma-BusLoop-CycleTrack_v3-270x152.jpg

HangryHippo
04-27-2015, 02:41 PM
I don't know doable it would be, but I'd like to see buses drop off on the periphery of campus as opposed to stopping in the cul de sac they installed.

FighttheGoodFight
04-27-2015, 03:01 PM
I don't know doable it would be, but I'd like to see buses drop off on the periphery of campus as opposed to stopping in the cul de sac they installed.

Only the lloyd noble shuttles and apartment shuttles go to that drop off now. I assume they did this to encourage more people to ride the lloyd noble shuttle as they keep taking about parking.

Though 20 minutes to get from lloyd noble to main campus just seems WAY too long.

My faculty/staff parking pass is going up to 300 next year. I have been thinking about the shuttle more and more

hfry
04-27-2015, 03:51 PM
I ride the bus from Lloyd noble daily and at most it takes 10 mins. Depends on traffic at the stop signs and the lights but late at night when it is quick its about a 5 min ride.

HangryHippo
04-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Only the lloyd noble shuttles and apartment shuttles go to that drop off now. I assume they did this to encourage more people to ride the lloyd noble shuttle as they keep taking about parking.

Though 20 minutes to get from lloyd noble to main campus just seems WAY too long.

My faculty/staff parking pass is going up to 300 next year. I have been thinking about the shuttle more and more

Those are the buses I'd like to see moved elsewhere. Even just dropping students off by the Honors College and then circling back to the LNC would be preferable IMO.

$300 for a staff permit? Wow, that's incredible.

traxx
04-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Hopefully that's still the plan as there needs to be more separation between pedestrians and bikes on campus sidewalks where they currently mix.

This was an issue even back when I went to school there. I had a buddy almost get run over by a cyclist once. He was on his way to class and the cyclist coming up behind him said, "On your left." So my buddy moved to his right. Turned out the cyclist didn't know his left from his right as he started yelling, "No, I mean right. ON YOUR RIGHT." My friend barely got moved in time.

RedSoxFan
04-28-2015, 10:29 AM
In 2009-10, it was $600/yr to park at Georgia Tech (specific to one lot). How about $100 a month? That is how much I paid at Boston University this past year for a faculty/staff commuter pass.

$300/yr for parking is pretty reasonable for a university IMO. Just my opinion.

dankrutka
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not too hard to find parking within 3 to 4 blocks of the university for free if you know where to look, right? I know that can be inconvenient if you're hauling stuff in, but you could always run stuff into a building and then park. When I was finishing my doctorate and teaching classes at OU (finished in 2012) I never had a parking pass and parked on Parsons west of the College of Education. Some days I'd get right across the street and other days I'd have to go 4 or so blocks to where Parsons dead ended. At the longest it was a 6-8 minute walk. I always found a spot.

SOONER8693
04-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's not too hard to find parking within 3 to 4 blocks of the university for free if you know where to look, right? I know that can be inconvenient if you're hauling stuff in, but you could always run stuff into a building and then park. When I was finishing my doctorate and teaching classes at OU (finished in 2012) I never had a parking pass and parked on Parsons west of the College of Education. Some days I'd get right across the street and other days I'd have to go 4 or so blocks to where Parsons dead ended. At the longest it was a 6-8 minute walk. I always found a spot.
I did the same thing while working on my masters in admin/curriculum supervision. Most classes were in the CofE. And you are right, it is hit and miss. Some days I walked a block of less. Some days, all the way to the end of that street.

FighttheGoodFight
04-28-2015, 02:42 PM
In 2009-10, it was $600/yr to park at Georgia Tech (specific to one lot). How about $100 a month? That is how much I paid at Boston University this past year for a faculty/staff commuter pass.

$300/yr for parking is pretty reasonable for a university IMO. Just my opinion.

Was your spot guaranteed? For instance today at lunch I drove around to three lots before I found a spot. And these lots are just for faculty and staff.

RedSoxFan
04-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Was your spot guaranteed? For instance today at lunch I drove around to three lots before I found a spot. And these lots are just for faculty and staff. For Boston University - no. The parking situation there sounds like what you have at OU - i.e., I can park in any "Green Permit" lot. Luckily, there are two lots near the building I teach in, so 95% of the time I can get into one of them. But, BU is stretched all along Commonwealth Ave., so a 15-20+ minute walk during very crowded occasions (e.g., Snowmaggedon 2015) did occur.

At Georgia Tech, the permit was valid only for one specific lot on campus (after-hours and weekends you could park anywhere). About a 10 minute walk from the building to the parking lot - not terrible. I believe there was an overflow lot if the garage did become full (located a good distance away), but that never happened to me. By the way, the parking permit now is $776/yr for Georgia Tech.

Don't mean to go too far off-topic with this - I am considering a position at OU and will be working in the NWC. It looks like the "free" lot (LNC) is not too far from the building. Is it still advisable to get a faculty parking permit? Just curious for those who would know.

Tritone
05-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Apples and oranges I know but many, many years ago my staff permit at SWOSU was free.

FighttheGoodFight
05-05-2015, 07:42 AM
For Boston University - no. The parking situation there sounds like what you have at OU - i.e., I can park in any "Green Permit" lot. Luckily, there are two lots near the building I teach in, so 95% of the time I can get into one of them. But, BU is stretched all along Commonwealth Ave., so a 15-20+ minute walk during very crowded occasions (e.g., Snowmaggedon 2015) did occur.

At Georgia Tech, the permit was valid only for one specific lot on campus (after-hours and weekends you could park anywhere). About a 10 minute walk from the building to the parking lot - not terrible. I believe there was an overflow lot if the garage did become full (located a good distance away), but that never happened to me. By the way, the parking permit now is $776/yr for Georgia Tech.

Don't mean to go too far off-topic with this - I am considering a position at OU and will be working in the NWC. It looks like the "free" lot (LNC) is not too far from the building. Is it still advisable to get a faculty parking permit? Just curious for those who would know.

If you want to park in LNC and walk it would only be about a 10 minute walk. The only hard part is crossing the main road. It can be quite busy. There is a ton of faculty/staff parking down on the research campus. You could always try LNC for a while then buy the pass later. No garages on south campus though.

Pete
05-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Forget any ideas about them relocating the basketball venue... They just announced a big addition to the LNC complex:

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/1024/RZ/RZWJEOVAILHNWDJ.20150507215142.jpg

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/640/FW/FWROAMLLMVWLUEG.20150507210642.jpg

OU Regents Approve LNC Performance Center
May 07, 2015
NORMAN — The University of Oklahoma Board of Regents approved the design development phase plans for a Strength Training and Performance Center Addition project at the Lloyd Noble Center on Thursday.

An approximately 18,400-gross-square-foot addition at Lloyd Noble Center will be constructed south of the existing two practice court gymnasiums used by the men's and women's basketball programs. The addition will provide significantly improved strength training facilities for both basketball programs as well as for student-athletes competing in other OU athletics programs. As a part of the project, space for a performance center also will be constructed to accommodate equipment that will assist in performance testing and assessment.

OU Regents Approve LNC Performance Center - Oklahoma Sooners (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210076956)

dankrutka
05-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Boo! I'd love for the basketball arena to be back on campus. :(

Pete
05-07-2015, 05:52 PM
I gave up that hope when they did the big practice facility project about 10 years ago.

BG918
05-10-2015, 08:04 AM
I still think they relocate it but do it around 2035. :)

Rover
05-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Boo! I'd love for the basketball arena to be back on campus. :(
I would much rather have a walkable/bike able compact campus for everyday use for the students than to plop a huge occasionally used facility with huge parking demands in the middle of the learning/living area.

dankrutka
05-10-2015, 02:25 PM
I would much rather have a walkable/bike able compact campus for everyday use for the students than to plop a huge occasionally used facility with huge parking demands in the middle of the learning/living area.

I actually think both things can be done. And, if it was closer to campus it would be used far more. Either way, it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

BG918
05-10-2015, 03:35 PM
While I'd love to see a new basketball/multipurpose arena back on campus (and think it will indeed happen someday) I can think of lots of other things that need to be built or rebuilt first. The trend of building new dorms along Lindsey is great, and will change the look and feel of the south campus. Next up would be doing the same and replacing Cate Center with new dorms and eventually having enough beds where at least all freshman and sophomores live in either campus housing or Greek houses. A major remodel and expansion of the Huffman Center adding the aquatics facility to the south end is also part of the enhancement of this area for students.

On campus the biggest need left is a better facility for science, and additional buildings for the growing engineering and computer/technology programs. And better connectivity on campus with dedicated bike lanes across campus and connections to bike lanes on adjacent streets especially between south campus along Lindsey to Campus Corner and downtown.

Rover
05-10-2015, 04:15 PM
I actually think both things can be done. And, if it was closer to campus it would be used far more. Either way, it doesn't look like it's going anywhere.

How would the arena be used more? The arena smack dab on campus is big enough and used for smaller events. The LNC is used for LARGE events that draw more non-students than students. And it isn't even that far. That would hardly be a long walk in New York City. It sure isn't too far for on campus students.

dankrutka
05-10-2015, 10:55 PM
How would the arena be used more? The arena smack dab on campus is big enough and used for smaller events. The LNC is used for LARGE events that draw more non-students than students. And it isn't even that far. That would hardly be a long walk in New York City. It sure isn't too far for on campus students.

First, pretty much everything we know about walkability indicates that people will never regularly make the bland walk between campus and the LNC. You know that.

If OU rebuilt its basketball arena I would advocate it being a smaller, more intimate setting seating between 6,000-9,000. I'd recommend designing it so half the arena could be pardoned off for events like graduation, concerts, speakers, etc.. Yes, you are correct that the Field House could be used, but the raised stands aren't particularly welcoming. I think a new, smaller basketball arena could be used for more events, would draw more students and university community, and could easily be located in an area (probably by the Duck Pond) that's not really being walked anyway (see OU football practice facility for a far more egregious structure on this front). I do think an on-campus arena would draw far more people got games and events. Anyway, I don't at all think it should be a top priority, but that would be my preference over maintaining the LNC, which is an incredibly ugly arena.