View Full Version : UR Cooks

Achilleslastand
08-27-2010, 03:12 PM
A resteraunt on the nw expressway on the south side of the street around mcarthur or rockwell.
You could pick out your steaks and grill them yourselves on the grill yourself. I remember it from the late 80s and early 90s and cant recall the name.

bluedogok
08-27-2010, 08:03 PM
UR Cooks, it was where Flakey Jake's Burgers was located next to Harrigan's and Black Eyed Pea. Of the other stuff from back then I think the only left left there is the Hibdon/Tires Plus. The last that I recall it was a Chinese restaurant.

oneforone
08-28-2010, 04:42 AM
It is now (possibly was, been awhile since I have been down there) a International Golf Discount store.

Achilleslastand
08-28-2010, 10:17 AM
UR cooks...thats it TYVM

Easy180
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
Remember going with my mom who had no clue of the concept...Paid a buck extra per steak for them to cook it for us

Joe Kimball
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I remember seeing this place come and go, but I never actually went in. Does anyone remember any details? How exactly did one go about procuring the steak and cooking it? Was a choice between available steaks from a certain cut of beef available? And how was the overall quality?

bluedogok
08-28-2010, 06:08 PM
There were quite a few of those concepts around, there was a UR Cooks in Austin that closed not too long after I moved here from OKC in 2003. The Butcher Shop (http://www.thebutchershop.com/) was another one that I ate at in the Dallas West End area a long time ago, it looks like they only have them in Little Rock and Tennessee now.I never ate at UR Cooks, at The Butcher Shop they rolled a cart of raw meat out and you selected one and took it to the grill, you ordered your sides and they brought them to the table.

Easy180
08-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Probably been over 20 yrs since I went but I believe they had a menu with numerous meat choices and a couple of large grills in the middle of the dining room...I went to the location on 240 and Western strip on the NW side of 240

Like I said my mom barely cooked at home so it is safe to say that was our lone trip

Martin
08-28-2010, 06:20 PM
i went to the location on 240 and western strip on the nw side of 240

say what? i-240 and western? as in sw 74th and western? i totally don't remember that being around there... especially around 1990. -M

Easy180
08-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Mmm...It was in the same strip that had a Fuddruckers and now has the Chinese buffet...It was in the center of the strip and I believe you had to go upstairs...Had to be mid to late 80s as I was pretty young

Older brother just informed me the meat was out front to choose instead of a menu

Martin
08-28-2010, 07:33 PM
ok... that's the spot where shogun had previously been. i thought it was called 'the steak place' or something to that effect... just didn't remember a 'ur cooks' being around that area. -M

SoonerQueen
08-28-2010, 09:29 PM
It would be nice to get Fuddruckers back in OKC.

ljbab728
08-28-2010, 10:20 PM
I remember seeing this place come and go, but I never actually went in. Does anyone remember any details? How exactly did one go about procuring the steak and cooking it? Was a choice between available steaks from a certain cut of beef available? And how was the overall quality?

I went there a couple of times at least. You picked out your own meat from the selection they offered and took it to the large grill area in the center of the room. It was a large square shaped grill with plenty of room for many people at the same time. The concept was interesting but I decided I could do the same thing for less money at home.