View Full Version : Trigen

Twain427
08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I would appreciate an education on this issue.

As I understand it, Trigen has been the principle supplier of water services to numerous downtown, private and publicly owned buildings. Where areas, the Trigen plant was once in somewhat of an off to the side location, it is now right in the middle of it all.

My issue is, when you look at the Trigen plant and the minor property surrounding it, it is wholly un-kept and unattractive. The paint is dull and faded. Many parts of its concrete facade are cracked and crumbling. The surround landscaping is virtually non-existent (and what little is there looks like hell).

Does this city own this plant? Do they own the property and Trigen merely leases same? Is there a plan in place for renovations and/or some general repair? Does anyone care? (maybe not)

OKC@heart
08-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I would love to have some pictures to show its current state. I haven't been by the plant for a while to guage its current condition but as I remember it, didn't it have a ribbed concrete tilt wall that was tapered to the inside intended to conceal the cooling towes, etc... also aren't they actually a Central Physical plant of sorts providing chilled water to various buildings in the CBD?

Twain427
08-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Your remembrance of the building's design and construction is correct. Trigen heats and cools water for various uses for several downtown buildings. They provide a needed service and profit well from such, I'm guessing. I would just like to see some pride taken by it's leadership in how the facility looks.

It's an ugly concrete structure that could use some serious TLC.

cdbthunder
08-25-2010, 11:10 AM
When I worked in mechanical operations at Liberty Tower in the late 80's and early 90's Trigen was owned and operated by a private company. We were in a constant battle with them to live up to their contractual obligations in regards to the delivery of steam and chilled water. We could only get them to blink when we would threaten to build our own steam/chilled water generation needs. The advantages to District Heating and Cooling were that you didn't have to set aside space to generate your own needs but the disadvantages were that you were soley realiant on Trigen for it.