View Full Version : 4G coverage in OKC

Dustin
08-25-2010, 01:04 AM
About to buy an EVO. Does anybody know an approximate date when OKC will be getting 4G coverage? My friend was getting 4Mbps D/ 2Mbps U on his EVO in Dallas and I loathe him for it.

BBatesokc
08-25-2010, 05:01 AM
I've been anxiously waiting for 4G to get to OKC too. The most reliable information I've been able to get is mid-late 2011 at the earliest (but still likely).

I'm not getting the EVO or whatever the best phone at the time is, until we get 4G because you have to pay $10 every month extra even if the 4G service is not available. I also want to upgrade my mifi to 4G so I can get unlimited use and faster speeds.

Kerry
08-25-2010, 06:30 AM
About to buy an EVO. Does anybody know an approximate date when OKC will be getting 4G coverage? My friend was getting 4Mbps D/ 2Mbps U on his EVO in Dallas and I loathe him for it.

Sometimes I get over 6MBps D here in Jacksonville. In fact, I just went to speedtest.net and hit a server in Muleshoe, TX (I didn't make that name up). Download 7.14Mbps, Upload 0.44 Mbps

flintysooner
08-25-2010, 06:45 AM
On AT&T 3G using iPhone 4: Dallas: 1.482 Mbps down, 333 Kbps up; Weatherford, TX: 2.890 Mbps down, 1.242 Mbps up.

But the tests can vary a lot between one to another and the server I choose.

I'm getting a lot better since AT&T's recent upgrade.

rkjg24
08-27-2010, 05:50 PM
I love my Evo, and everyone that I know that has one loves theirs too.

I've heard the end of this year. There's a test tower near the call center.

BBatesokc
08-27-2010, 06:04 PM
My mom bought an EVO and really likes it - but she lives in Austin and has access to 4G. I just don't want to pay $120 extra for service I can't use if it takes a year to get to our area. I heard end of this year was "possible but unlikely." Apparently there was literature printed a year ago that promised 4G in Oklahoma in 2010.

Superhyper
08-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Verizon will be launching it's LTE (a kind of 4g) network by the end of the year, with OKC probably being one of the test markets. If they do that I don't see how Sprint/Clear can sit around without lighting up service here as well. AT&T will be launching LTE as well sometime next year, while Tmobile hasn't officially announced anything but it will probably be doing the same.

MikeOKC
09-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I think T-Mobile has big plans. I still see a very good possibility for a Sprint/T-Mobile USA (Deutsche Telekom) merger. They would immediately be a huge player. Expect a lot of German visits to Kansas City. This merger would just make sense - on so many levels. DT has deep pockets and Sprint is getting to where they must listen.

Spint/Clear has in place what T-Mobile wants and Sprints needs what T-Mobile has, high-quality customer support and excellent R&D. It would immediately (overnight) be a giant to reckon with.

t3h_wookiee
09-05-2010, 12:27 PM
I have T-Mo, and I often get better speeds than that in town on my phone currently. Tethering was even better, up to 8MB D, 1.6 MB U. Made streaming the World Cup quite pleasant back in June/July. Will be even better if the G2 turns out well. *fingers crossed*

rkjg24
02-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Looks like they've turned on 4G in some areas on Sprint. I live near Quail and am picking it up on my Evo.

Dustin
02-23-2011, 03:20 AM
Well, I never bought the Evo. Sprint 4g coverage in OK is... sparse.. Looking at Verizon and the Thunderbolt which comes out Thursday (so i've heard, i'll have to check). Plus Verizon already has full 4g coverage in OKC.

Dustin
02-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Yup Thursday the 24th.

HewenttoJared
02-23-2011, 06:35 AM
There's no real 4G in this country. It bugs me that providers get to call their various upgrades "4G".

rkjg24
02-23-2011, 03:54 PM
Well, I never bought the Evo. Sprint 4g coverage in OK is... sparse.. Looking at Verizon and the Thunderbolt which comes out Thursday (so i've heard, i'll have to check). Plus Verizon already has full 4g coverage in OKC.

Eh, not a big fan of Verizon for various reasons. Plus, Sprint is still building out the 4G here and it isn't even "official" yet.

MikeOKC
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
There's no real 4G in this country. It bugs me that providers get to call their various upgrades "4G".

Agreed. It's only a vast improvement compared to America's lagging (way behind) broadband/mobile infrastructure and speeds.

easternobserver
02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
playing with a verizon 4g aircard right now.....very impressed

Dustin
02-23-2011, 06:06 PM
playing with a verizon 4g aircard right now.....very impressed

The speeds are... Incredible.

BBatesokc
02-23-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm so waiting for 4G in OKC from Sprint. Gonna setup several streaming live cams.

bsmall
02-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Sprint 4G is now rolling out in Oklahoma. If you go to http://www.clear.com/coverage, and zoom in on Oklahoma, you can see the footprint so far. I ran a speed test on my EVO 4G and got 5.83mb down, 0.97mb up.

cameron_405
03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I think T-Mobile has big plans. I still see a very good possibility for a Sprint/T-Mobile USA (Deutsche Telekom) merger. They would immediately be a huge player. Expect a lot of German visits to Kansas City. This merger would just make sense - on so many levels. DT has deep pockets and Sprint is getting to where they must listen.

Spint/Clear has in place what T-Mobile wants and Sprints needs what T-Mobile has, high-quality customer support and excellent R&D. It would immediately (overnight) be a giant to reckon with.

08 March 2011 - Deutsche Telekom, Sprint Said to Discuss T-Mobile USA Deal (http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-08/deutsche-telekom-is-said-to-discuss-sale-of-t-mobile-usa-to-sprint-nextel.html)

Deutsche Telekom AG (DTE) has held talks to sell its T-Mobile USA unit to Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) in exchange for a major stake in the combined entity, said people with knowledge of the matter.