View Full Version : San Andreas Fault - URGENT BREAKING NEWS!

Thunder
08-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Massive Quake Is Overdue for Southern California

(Aug. 21) -- New research shows that major earthquakes have struck southern California far more frequently than previously thought -- and the next one could be just around the corner.

The study from geologists at the University of California Irvine and Arizona State University showed that massive quakes -- of magnitude 6.5 or greater -- have hit the region's San Andreas fault line at intervals of between 45 and 144 years.

With the last major earthquake in 1857, that means Southern California is overdue a massive quake.

"The next earthquake could be sooner than later," Lisa Grant Ludwig, a UC Irvine earthquake expert and co-author of the study, told The Los Angeles Times. "It was thought that we weren't at risk of having another large one any time soon. Well, now, it might be ready to rupture."

Previously, experts that thought the quakes occurred once every 250 years to 450 years.

The team of scientists obtained their results by studying ancient charcoal samples in the Carrizo Plain portion of the San Andreas fault line.

The charcoal fragments during earthquakes, so dating the fragments can pinpoint the time of earthquakes. The results were published Friday in Geology, a journal.

A quake of just 7.8 magnitude -- less than the 1857 earthquake -- could spread chaos through some of California's biggest cities, including Los Angeles, according to a study by the state Emergency Management Agency.

"You would see buildings collapse, you'd see people trapped, you'd see roadways collapse. You'd see widespread destruction," Kelly Huston, assistant agency secretary for public and crisis communication, told Fox News.

The 1857 quake is known as the Fort Tejon quake, though it is believed to have originated in Parkfield, Calif. The earthquake tore south on the San Andreas fault for 200 miles, near the northern edge of what is now LA County, then headed east toward the Cajon Pass.

The shaking, which lasted between one minute and three minutes, was so powerful that the soil liquefied, causing trees to sink into the earth.

At the time, LA's population was a mere 4,000. Now it's 9.9 million.

The new information "puts the exclamation point" on the importance of residents and policymakers preparing for a major earthquake, Ludwig told Agence-France Presse.

Ludwig is in favor of policies mandating earthquake risk signs on unsafe buildings, and making inspectors in home-sale transactions reveal degrees of risk.

Still, not everyone is quite so alarmed by the study's findings. Morgan Page, a geophysicist with the United States Geological Society, told Fox News that more research needs to be done before the theories about the San Andreas quakes can be accepted as definitely true.

The study is ""rather controversial. Some people support the work, and some people think there may be problems with it," she told Fox News.

http://www.aolnews.com/science/article/big-california-earthquake-may-come-sooner-than-expected/19603057?ncid=webmail

Evacuate immediately!

redrunner
08-21-2010, 04:36 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2b0_1276129938
Ohh Thunder...This wouldn't happen to be you would it?

Thunder
08-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Disclaimer: That is not me!

fuzzytoad
08-21-2010, 05:14 PM

omg, that's the funniest thing i've see all day...

PennyQuilts
08-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I saw an article about this earlier today, and I kid you not - I thought of you Thunder. :sofa:

Thunder
08-22-2010, 12:21 AM
I saw an article about this earlier today, and I kid you not - I thought of you Thunder. :sofa:

It is true I am that popular. I even had the tour of the White House with Mr. Bush and his wife. :-)

PennyQuilts
08-22-2010, 09:07 AM
It is true I am that popular. I even had the tour of the White House with Mr. Bush and his wife. :-)

REALLY? Cool. When I worked in DC, I was a block from the WH and they sold tickets for tours in my building. I planned to take a tour but they quit doing that for the general public after 911. I don't know if that has started up, again but quit working in DC in 2002 so it wasn't as handy to go as before.

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I once lived precisely atop the San Andreas Fault...just above Serramonte Shopping Center in Daly City--right where the fault goes out to sea at Fort Funston. It crosses land once again across Pt. Reyes. The New Madrid Fault is far, far worse...and much nearer to OK...and much more overdue--and--has bigger quakes. Life is way too short to worry about earthquakes...Southern California has far bigger dangers afoot there nowadays...

jmarkross
08-22-2010, 09:20 AM
BTW--The man issuing this thoughtful warning comes from a long line of "Town Criers", harkening back to the ones in Boston in the late 1600's...and his genetic gifts are quite evident...I think...

Thunder
08-22-2010, 09:45 AM
REALLY? Cool. When I worked in DC, I was a block from the WH and they sold tickets for tours in my building. I planned to take a tour but they quit doing that for the general public after 911. I don't know if that has started up, again but quit working in DC in 2002 so it wasn't as handy to go as before.

It was a joke, but interesting to know there was such tours!

MikeOKC
08-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Thunder, I have to hand it to you. You have invented quite a schtick. You've got some people here believing your online persona is real. You play this forum like a fiddle.

Thunder
08-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Thunder, I have to hand it to you. You have invented quite a schtick. You've got some people here believing your online persona is real. You play this forum like a fiddle.

Huh? I don't understand this. We're talking about massive earthquake to hit California.

MikeOKC
08-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Huh? I don't understand this. We're talking about massive earthquake to hit California.

Exactly. A thread started by Thunder with "Evacuate Immediately" in large, bold, red letters. Your signature - "Help Thunder Vote For Governor". It's all a very slick example of what I posted about. Sometimes it's outrage for fun, idiocy for fun, feigned ignorance for fun...... got your number - that's all.

On with the earthquake talk.....

Thunder
08-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Exactly. A thread started by Thunder with "Evacuate Immediately" in large, bold, red letters. Your signature - "Help Thunder Vote For Governor". It's all a very slick example of what I posted about. Sometimes it's outrage for fun, idiocy for fun, feigned ignorance for fun...... got your number - that's all.

On with the earthquake talk.....

Well, if I was living in California, I'd move out of there quickly. I would not want to deal with massive quakes toppling down tall buildings. I know Oklahoma is close to a dangerous fault line nearby, but I feel safer here than in California.

Nothing wrong with my signature. :-)

Martin
08-22-2010, 05:24 PM
otisburg? -M
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7HTO3jP-_lk/SlJRubyqiqI/AAAAAAAADgs/xpLC_Gz6ud8/s400/lex-luthor.jpg

ljbab728
08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
Well, if I was living in California, I'd move out of there quickly. I would not want to deal with massive quakes toppling down tall buildings. I know Oklahoma is close to a dangerous fault line nearby, but I feel safer here than in California.

Nothing wrong with my signature. :-)

I was in LA a couple of years ago visiting my brother when an earthquake hit. Luckily it wasn't major but it made the building creak and moved things around a little. While I wouldn't call it scary, it certainly was a little unnerving and makes you think about what a major quake could do.

jmarkross
08-23-2010, 03:24 AM
Your insight MikeOKC is quite on target. There do seem to be game players on these forums--which is OK, without that they would be rather boring. The key factor is--when to pull legs--and when not to. And for God's sake--make it at least interesting or clever--out of respect for others. That is the key, I think, when you do the machinations of deciding when to chime in on this subject or that. Some folks seem to need attention and seek emotional support through the keyboard...which is also OK...I go back a long way...LONG before the internet...the first days of Compuserve and other BBS chat systems of the early 1980's, and have a pretty vast experience with game-playing...which, oddly, I find fascinating--especially since I am retired and diddle with it out of boredom many times nowadays. The trap many fall into...is...revealing too much about themselves in quibbling with others. But--no matter--kill the name. re-join under another, change your e-mail....you all know the gambit. It is important that everyone realize that, I think. And--I am sure they all do. I suppose some people act out their internal struggles this way...but for most I think it is just cheap thrills and parlor tricks--with the occasional kernel of truth or insight thrown it--usually by accident. I suspect some do get a certain feeling of triumph when someone falls for a human angle heart-rending tale...maybe it is the prelude to a writing career for Harlequin.

metro
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Not really new news, we all know California is overdue for a major quake.

Kerry
08-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Every since I was a little kid in Northern California 'experts' have been predicting the big one. If they predict long enough it will eventually happen and they can say, "See, I told you so. If only you had listened." I evacuated California in 1990 and it didn't have anything to do with earthquakes. I considered myself to be an economic refugee.

jmarkross
08-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Earthquakes in the USA are nothing like the ones in other countries with terrible construction techniques. I have been in many moderate ones in N. California (1979, 1980) and in S. California...and was living 4 miles from the epicenter of the 1994 "Northridge" earthquake. Aside from falling objects...they are not that effective at killing people--but--they are one hell of an inconvenience. They do remarkably strange things as well...and make a whole HELL of a lot of unearthly rumbling and noise below you--and have hundreds of aftershocks. No one likes to be in bed at 4:31am and suddenly get thrown into the wall by the bed--with considerable force.

Kerry
08-24-2010, 08:26 AM
Earthquakes in the USA are nothing like the ones in other countries with terrible construction techniques.

Population density has a lot to do with it. If a telephone pole falls in Bangladesh it kills 5 people.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/photo/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20071221/0013729e4ad908d55c990b.jpg

FRISKY
08-24-2010, 09:13 AM
With the last major earthquake in 1857, that means Southern California is overdue a massive quake.Huh?

http://www.conservation.ca.gov/index/Earthquakes/Pages/qh_earthquakes_Calbigones.aspx