View Full Version : New Yukon high school

metro
08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
So I've driven by the new Yukon High School they are building on Mustang Rd. a few times this summer. Will it replace the existing HS on Garth Brooks or will it be the 2nd High School in Yukon? When is anticipated opening, 2nd semester of this year? The place is MASSIVE.

oneforone
08-18-2010, 05:25 PM
With all the growth happening in Yukon and Mustang these days, I would imagine it is a second school. I went see my niece play basketball when her team played against Yukon a couple of years ago. The school is older but, it was stll pretty nice. Their gym was impressive, I am suprised the district don't rent it out for local events. You could easily get a couple of thousand people in there.

oneforone
08-18-2010, 05:36 PM
I take that back.... I just looked at their website and it looks they are moving the high school and restructuring the district. It looks like the existing high school will become a middle school and also be used for special classes.

duckman
08-18-2010, 06:26 PM
9-12 will be at the high school, the current high school campus (comprised of the 9/10 and 11/12 building) will become one middle school, the two middle schools (Lakeview and Independence middle schools) will now be upper elementary schools housing 4th and 5th graders, and the elementary schools will now house pre-k through 3rd. It is going to be a logistical nightmare with the majority of Yukon Public School employees having to relocate.

metro
08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Are they building a new HS football field at the new location or they going to use the existing one and share with Middle School like they do currently.

oneforone
08-19-2010, 12:36 PM
It looks like it will be at the new site NW of the main building . Here is a link to the site plan and other drawings of the site. The building looks like it will have everything under the sun. I just did not see an auditorium unless it is in the performing arts area and not labled.

http://www.yukonps.com/AboutUs/History/OurFuture/PreliminaryArchitecturalGraphics/tabid/1163/Default.aspx

andimthomas
08-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Wow. Yukon students are lucky. I wish Moore PS took their time to plan and design Southmoore. But I guess the outcome will always be better when you don't rush things.

MonkeesFan
08-22-2010, 09:36 AM
It looks like it will be at the new site NW of the main building . Here is a link to the site plan and other drawings of the site. The building looks like it will have everything under the sun. I just did not see an auditorium unless it is in the performing arts area and not labled.

http://www.yukonps.com/AboutUs/History/OurFuture/PreliminaryArchitecturalGraphics/tabid/1163/Default.aspx

That new Yukon school looks very nice!! Lucky students, teachers, and principals who will work there!

metro
08-24-2010, 10:39 AM
students will work there? lol

MonkeesFan
08-25-2010, 07:39 PM
students will work there? lol

Studing and homework is work

dmoor82
08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
I went bye The site today and it's coming along nicely!I heard Yukon wanted to change The Name "Mustang" road in Yukon only to another street name,any word on this?

yukong
08-25-2010, 11:18 PM

There are no present plans to build an auditorium at the new high school. My youngest just graduated from YHS, and was big in the performing arts, and there are a lot of upset performing arts patron parents because they are not building a new auditorium. The excuse given was that we already have a great auditorium at the current high school so we don't need to build a new one. However, that argument did not seem to be applied toward a new football field or basketball field house. This has been a problem in the Yukon district for as long as I can remember. Even going back to when I graduated there in '78. The powers that be are fully invested in a sports program that has been seen little success except in basketball, and the last great year for that was '79. Many of us tried to get somewhere with the admin regarding the devaluing of performing arts, but it fell on deaf ears. It is sad because more students will make careers out of performing arts than sports. Yukon has more all-state selections in vocal and band in one year than the athletic program has had in the entire existence of Yukon High School sports. And in case you ask, I was in sports and performing arts when I was in high school. Of course, when I went, you could play ball, be in band and vocal, and in drama all at the same time. they don't really allow that now. I'll bet more money is spent on one game of football than is spent on all the performing arts in one year. So, when they have practice sessions that need to occur in the auditorium, then they will have to bus kids across town to have those practices. And of course, that will mean just a few minutes practicing because they have to have them there and back in an hour? Just stupid. There is some talk that years down the road, they might build a small 250 or so seat recital hall type of place. But that was just thrown out there to try to placate the performing arts patrons. Probably won't happen.

andimthomas
08-27-2010, 04:07 PM
There are no present plans to build an auditorium at the new high school. My youngest just graduated from YHS, and was big in the performing arts, and there are a lot of upset performing arts patron parents because they are not building a new auditorium. The excuse given was that we already have a great auditorium at the current high school so we don't need to build a new one. However, that argument did not seem to be applied toward a new football field or basketball field house. This has been a problem in the Yukon district for as long as I can remember. Even going back to when I graduated there in '78. The powers that be are fully invested in a sports program that has been seen little success except in basketball, and the last great year for that was '79. Many of us tried to get somewhere with the admin regarding the devaluing of performing arts, but it fell on deaf ears. It is sad because more students will make careers out of performing arts than sports. Yukon has more all-state selections in vocal and band in one year than the athletic program has had in the entire existence of Yukon High School sports. And in case you ask, I was in sports and performing arts when I was in high school. Of course, when I went, you could play ball, be in band and vocal, and in drama all at the same time. they don't really allow that now. I'll bet more money is spent on one game of football than is spent on all the performing arts in one year. So, when they have practice sessions that need to occur in the auditorium, then they will have to bus kids across town to have those practices. And of course, that will mean just a few minutes practicing because they have to have them there and back in an hour? Just stupid. There is some talk that years down the road, they might build a small 250 or so seat recital hall type of place. But that was just thrown out there to try to placate the performing arts patrons. Probably won't happen.

It's like this at every high school. Athletics just always come first. I used to get very upset on this subject too but there's really nothing that could be done.

bombermwc
08-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Um apparently everyone missed the fact that there is a label "future auditorium" on one of the pictures. The very last picture has it in the plans, but it's very fuzzy. You can also see the hole for it in the other drawings...it's the unlabeled fine arts bit block.

yukong
08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
That is the small recital hall like thing I was talking about. 200-250 or so seats is that they are saying. It is not a large center like the one at the current high school. That one holds around 2000 I believe. It is a fine facility. Probably one of the finest in the state.

ljbab728
08-30-2010, 10:06 PM
That is the small recital hall like thing I was talking about. 200-250 or so seats is that they are saying. It is not a large center like the one at the current high school. That one holds around 2000 I believe. It is a fine facility. Probably one of the finest in the state.

It actually looks like the diagram shows four small auditoriums or performance areas.

LIL_WAYNE_2012_PREZIDENT
10-27-2010, 01:56 PM

thwn why do u want a new one?

Snowman
02-26-2011, 07:37 PM
News 9 did a story on the new campus: http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=34555

Reply to "thwn why do u want a new one?": They want it all on the same campus, really yukon probably could have made due with the current basketball, baseball, softball and football stadiums for events if they would have made practice fields at the new campus.

yukong
03-08-2011, 01:01 PM
For the same reason that they wanted a new football stadium. A new gymnasium. A new baseball field. Etc. In fact, the stadium at the current high school just had artifical turf installed before this past season. Even though they were already building the new stadium, they spend 10s of 1000s on artifical turf for what will now become a jr. high stadium. But they don't have enough money to pay teachers.

redrunner
03-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Wonder what the folks at Union in Tulsa think about this new premier educational/athletic facility.

liirogue
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Is the school going to be ready in time? It doesn't look close to being finished.

Paule4ou
04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Is the school going to be ready in time? It doesn't look close to being finished.

Yes, they are actually ahead of schedule according to the GC. I heard the school is already moving "some" stuff in however, the major move will be done by a third party beginning in June.

It will open next year.

bombermwc
04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
yukong, anything like this is built with bond money though. You can't pay salaries with bond money....nor would you want to because it's "temporary" money. Yukon PS sacrificed being able to do anything else in the district by building this facility. Once the bond from this project expires, you'll see them move on to other projects going from middle schools down.

The down side to plans that involve re-using the previous high school, is that you end up still having to maintain the older building. To me, it would have seemed more ideal to build the new high school and tear down the old while you wait for the bond to expire. Then have a new bond to build new middle school space. That would eliminate that ongoing old building maintenance cost and you could build for planned expanding populations.

yukong
04-26-2011, 10:41 AM
Cool, I get that...but they could have used the tens of thousands that were spent on artificial turf for one or two years use on updating other facilities. Or to build a small performance hall at the new school. I will say this...when done, that new facility will be one of the best in the state for one of the worst athletic programs. When I was there in the mid-70s, we had a few good years in basketball, but football has never had much success. There have been a few years here and there, but nothing consistent.

bombermwc
04-27-2011, 06:43 AM
LOL sorry I had to laugh at the "best for the worst" comment. It's so true and I'm not really sure why. Hey, at least band is doing great.

On the turf front, I would bet the middle school plays on the old field. It does seem to be a little overkill for a middle school to have turf, but if it's already there, why not make use of it? I would normally think it makes more sense in districts that have more than one high school to have the middle schools play at a different field, but who knows. Maybe Yukon will grow to that point one day. Personally, I like the concept of the larger school rather than splitting them up. But that's just me.

Snowman
05-01-2011, 04:03 PM
LOL sorry I had to laugh at the "best for the worst" comment. It's so true and I'm not really sure why. Hey, at least band is doing great.

On the turf front, I would bet the middle school plays on the old field. It does seem to be a little overkill for a middle school to have turf, but if it's already there, why not make use of it? I would normally think it makes more sense in districts that have more than one high school to have the middle schools play at a different field, but who knows. Maybe Yukon will grow to that point one day. Personally, I like the concept of the larger school rather than splitting them up. But that's just me.

Yukon is dead set against multiple schools, the school administration did not like having an in town rivalry with the middle schools they have now (the second was built like 10 years ago) which is why after the high school is complete, all grades above like 5th will be at the same building, then just move to next higher grades buildings till they get to the high school.

jn1780
05-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Wow, If I started watching that video midway through I would think they were talking about a new facility for a professional sports team.

alaskabelle
05-21-2011, 02:09 PM
AMEN-----SPORTS RULE----Doesn't take much genius from anyone living in the town of Yukon to see that---quite apparent. Sad for the arts program though---those students deserve better. I agree with you.