View Full Version : Favorite Dance Club/Bar in the 80's.

Pages : [1] 2 3

lt14life
08-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok I thought this might be interesting to ask, What were your Favorite Dance Club/Bars in the 80's. Mine would be the Sofine Club and Sherlocks. I have alot of great memories from both in the 1980's. :band:

papaOU
08-16-2010, 11:26 PM
N.W. 63rd and May. Think it was called Charlie's.

skyrick
08-17-2010, 05:20 AM

Charlie's Chili.

lt14life
08-17-2010, 08:55 AM

I remember Charlie's , It was pretty good and they had live music.

papaOU
08-17-2010, 12:47 PM
I remember Charlie's , It was pretty good and they had live music.

and good looking women! I dated one for about two years but had to break it off because my wife did not approve (LOL) :tiphat:

dhawkins
08-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Clementines in the basement of Penn square mall.
It had a stainless steel dance floor and slide down into the club.

Pistachios, I think it was in the Glen Brook Center (63rd and Western).

Michaels Plum, in 50 penn place

Free Spirit, 31st and Classen (Old Church building)

lt14life
08-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Bringing all of this up reminds me of the Samuri Club that was on north May next to sound warehouse . Ichiro was the owner and long before he started up the Club & Resturant it was a Weight lifting Gym & I dont remember if he taught Karate their or not but when that started to fail thats when Ichiro started the Samuri. The Resturant had really good Japenese food and the club was real small but had good Bands their most of the time.

BBatesokc
08-17-2010, 08:29 PM
I went to Club Pyramid and also That club over by PC where they filmed "Rock & Roll & Then Some" and also the old church that was a club near NW 30 and Classen.

skyrick
08-18-2010, 04:14 AM
The church on Classen was Beethoven's. 3 different clubs inside, one on each level.

BBatesokc
08-18-2010, 05:18 AM
The church on Classen was Beethoven's. 3 different clubs inside, one on each level.

It had been several different clubs. When I went there it was called something else though. The Wreck Room was also popular in the 80's.

Generals64
08-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I enjoyed the Lions Club dance on South Robinson....Soonergirl and Tall Girl told me that they had also gone to the dance....I know the Village Idiot was there..with me.....we were trying to pick up "chicks".....6th and 4th grade???????

OKCisOK4me
08-18-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm just gonna throw this in here even though it was located in Edmond and it was my mom & stepdad's favorite place to go. Busters, on 2nd & Santa Fe. It was a country and western dance club.

lt14life
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
It had been several different clubs. When I went there it was called something else though. The Wreck Room was also popular in the 80's.

Yes im very familer with the old Church and it has been several different businesses over the years, In the 80's myself and friends went their to see Grand Funk Railroad and yes the leadman Mark Farner was their. The old Church is also said to be haunted.

gen70
08-18-2010, 09:54 AM
The first business that was located at the "Church" after the "Church" folded was an Italian restaurant. I ate there once but, can't remember the name. I also went there when it was Beethoven's and later Puff's.

OKCisOK4me
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Yes im very familer with the old Church and it has been several different businesses over the years, In the 80's myself and friends went their to see Grand Funk Railroad and yes the leadman Mark Farner was their. The old Church is also said to be haunted.

I guess then that the lot itself is haunted as it's been a few years since the old church was leveled. It was considered too decrepit at one time to house any other clubs after a balcony collapsed inside of it.

Jersey Boss
08-18-2010, 10:35 AM
The Gold Rush and Chastain's.

fuzzytoad
08-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I was in Tulsa in the 80's where we'd all go to Palladium or Caravan, sometimes Cain's Ballroom if our friends were playing..

When we'd drive to OKC, we'd usually party at Central State, found the clubs in the metro to be kinda boring...

lt14life
08-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I guess then that the lot itself is haunted as it's been a few years since the old church was leveled. It was considered too decrepit at one time to house any other clubs after a balcony collapsed inside of it.

Yeah its been a Loooong time since I have been in that area . I never new that it had been torn down and thats a shame because their was alot of history their.

papaOU
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
The Free Spirit I know of was on Classen and the building was known as the castle. Is this the same as the old church? At that time, mid-70's the place was a gay bar. At that time 18 and over were allowed in "beer bars" which closed at midnight. Liquor joints open until 2:00. We altered our draft cards (yes you had to have one 18 years and older at that time.) We payed a certain amount of money and were given a club card for the free spirit. We just went there to drink and maybe people watch. The other patrons never bothered us. Only had one bit of trouble.:ohno:

It was a restaurant (Dino's) I think before a club.

Generals64
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Was that place ever called the Purple Goose????

papaOU
08-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Was that place ever called the Purple Goose????

I believe the Blue Goose was farther south.....

Generals64
08-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Thank you, I got my colors wrong. I did however think that old church building was used for the Blue Goose...Prunepicker hung around over there....That's where he told his mom he went to Church..

osu cowboy
08-18-2010, 03:16 PM
I believe the Blue Goose was farther south.....

You are correct, I went in both back in those days.

I liked 'Peaches' on the south side started by a Grant guy named Mike. More of a restaurant but had a great bar and regulars.

OKCRT
08-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Tricky Dicky's was a dance club,right?

lt14life
08-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Tricky Dicky's was a dance club,right?

Oh yes I remember Tricky Dicky's very well. It was a Strip Club and yes they did dance.

rondvu
10-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Wasn't Michaels Plum on 63rd and Western? Used to play Backgammon and Pinte (not sure of spelling) there. I remember Pistachios now that you say it, but can't remember where it was.

bluedogok
10-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Michael's Plum was in the Glenbrook Center where The Varsity was until the mid-80's, my dad worked on the third floor of that building until late 1983 when they moved to Britton & Broadway. There was another club in the spot at 63rd & May where Pets Mart is that was called The Plum in the early 90's after it was Confetti's, The Zoo and some other names I can't remember.

The game was Pente, developed by a student while they were at OSU.

osu cowboy
10-27-2010, 08:02 AM
Michael's Plum was in the Glenbrook Center where The Varsity was until the mid-80's, my dad worked on the third floor of that building until late 1983 when they moved to Britton & Broadway. There was another club in the spot at 63rd & May where Pets Mart is that was called The Plum in the early 90's after it was Confetti's, The Zoo and some other names I can't remember.

The game was Pente, developed by a student while they were at OSU.

On Pente, I hung out at Eskimos joes in the 70's and I think the guy that invented it was in there a lot too. Seems like his name might have been Gary or something. They played it a lot in Joesin the afternoon. At the name I thought it was just glorified chinese checkers. He sold it later to a big game company for a "boatload" of money.

gen70
10-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Ahh...Eskimos Joe's in the 70's...nothing like it is now.

osu cowboy
10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Ahh...Eskimos Joe's in the 70's...nothing like it is now.

Ain't that the truth. Always said at least two millionaires came out of that bar from the 70's. Guy that invented Pente and Stan Clark(owner of Joe's) I saw Stan Saturday before the game. Looking back, don't think either had a clue what would happen with
their pursuits.

gen70
10-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Ain't that the truth. Always said at least two millionaires came out of that bar from the 70's. Guy that invented Pente and Stan Clark(owner of Joe's) I saw Stan Saturday before the game. Looking back, don't think either had a clue what would happen with
their pursuits. I believe you are right in that assumption.

rowdy55ok
10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
DIAMOND BALLROOM.....(I was into Country)

bluedogok
10-27-2010, 07:29 PM
On Pente, I hung out at Eskimos joes in the 70's and I think the guy that invented it was in there a lot too. Seems like his name might have been Gary or something. They played it a lot in Joesin the afternoon. At the name I thought it was just glorified chinese checkers. He sold it later to a big game company for a "boatload" of money.
Gary Gabrel was his name..the first place that I remember seeing it was at The Hideaway.

gen70
10-28-2010, 08:36 AM
Anybody remember the 20th Century Electric Company?

osu cowboy
10-28-2010, 09:04 AM
Anybody remember the 20th Century Electric Company?

Yep. Northside? Only went there a couple of times.

papaOU
10-28-2010, 01:28 PM
which of the tow or both was charged either with counterfeiting or income tax problems?

I may have to go back and look for an old newspaper article. When it happened I

remembered thinks about (Mark?) Amspacher. A well known and lucrative business lost

because of drug sales.

At the time of his death recently, he was owner of the Diner on main.

SOONER44EVER
11-23-2010, 02:12 AM
I remember the old church on Classen. That place was creepy. I also remember The Pyramid and a club called Kinetix in Bricktown before the canal was there. One of those 2 had a room called "the trip room". I also remember a club called Quicksilvers. I believe it was at NW 30th and Portland. Anyone else remember any of these?

bluedogok
11-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Quicksilvers was originally at NW 10th & MacArthur, it was an 18 and up beer bar until October 1983 when beer went to 21, it closed a little after that. I do think that they attempted a relaunch at 30th & Portland under the Quicksilvers name, that location had so many names over the years I can't remember them. I do remember when it was the Ice Chalet ice skating rink in the mid-70's.

The old church on Classen was the Free Spirit gay bar in the early 80's and then had a string of other names like Infinity and a (resurrected) Bowery after the gay bar closed there. The Pyramid was in the Kingman building IIRC.

papaOU
11-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Sooner-broadcast system North of 10 and on the west side of Council. Where Cactus Jacks is. I know people will want to argue but it was a beer bar in the early to mid-70's. There was also one on Main in Norman at the same time.

63rd and N. May. Charlie's?

gen70
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Sooner-broadcast system North of 10 and on the west side of Council. Where Cactus Jacks is. I know people will want to argue but it was a beer bar in the early to mid-70's. There was also one on Main in Norman at the same time.

63rd and N. May. Charlie's? Chili

bluedogok
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Chili
I know that one well, spent a lot of time in there.
Some friends parents owned it and sold out when they were offered way more than they thought it was worth.

papaOU
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Chili

Always packed with the ladies.....

Dood
12-03-2010, 10:50 PM
we call it "20th". I loved that place. when you walked in.....on the north wall, in a little nook....they had a hologram. I dont remember what it was, but it was the first one I had ever seen. fond fond memories of that club.

okc djbear
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM

The walk in was trapped to the ceiling by chains. I first went there when it was the Free Spirit, then Inertia, Disco 36 at 36th between Classen and Western, Michaels Plum,I was good friends with Checkerz(the Dj) who went on to be the resident DJ at Angles till 97. Clementines was fun, they overlooked fake id's.....and 5 for 1 drinks couldn't be beat!

Lorraine
01-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Does anyone remember gold rush and where it was located?

T-rex
03-09-2011, 10:11 PM

in the mid '70s it was jailwest, it was a beerbar that had live bands, i saw ted nugent there

Does anyone remember gold rush and where it was located?
after the gold rush was on the NW corner of I240 and penn

Bigrayok
03-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Sooner Broadcast System at 10th and Council was in the building Cactus Jacks is in now. It was the Jail West before SBS. I remember the Jail West got sued by Elvis Presley and someone else, maybe Paul McArtney. I am not sure why, but I think it was over song royalties or copyright issues.

Bigray in Ok

Pete
03-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Pistachios, I think it was in the Glen Brook Center (63rd and Western).

Michaels Plum, in 50 penn place

You have these reversed; Pistachio's was in 50 Penn and as previously noted Micheal's Plum was in the Glenbrooke Center East. Before that space became The Varsity, it was a Tony Roma's after the Plum closed.

Wasn't 20th Century Electric Company on Broadway Extension around Britton?

Has anybody mentioned Butterfield's Overland Express at 63rd & NW Expressway. That place raged in the late 70's.

papaOU
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Sooner Broadcast System at 10th and Council was in the building Cactus Jacks is in now. It was the Jail West before SBS. I remember the Jail West got sued by Elvis Presley and someone else, maybe Paul McArtney. I am not sure why, but I think it was over song royalties or copyright issues.

Bigray in Ok

Glad someone else remembers the Sooner Broadcast System. Get told all the time that it was in Norman. There were two; okc/norman. It was a great beer/dance club. I had an altered Draft Card (How many remember those?) and would go into the club for mixed drink. Tequila Sunrise was the "in" drink then....

MikeOKC
03-10-2011, 04:54 PM
I remember in the late 70's a teen disco located at 50th and MacArthur and owned by Randy Chandler and his wife. Can't remember the name. They also started Christie's Toy Box. Randy died in Mexico some years back.

bluedogok
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
You have these reversed; Pistachio's was in 50 Penn and as previously noted Micheal's Plum was in the Glenbrooke Center East. Before that space became The Varsity, it was a Tony Roma's after the Plum closed.
That space was originally a Furr's before they moved to French Market Mall, Michael's Plum opened after Furr's moved out. That was the label on the original CD's in the vault at Benham.

Wasn't 20th Century Electric Company on Broadway Extension around Britton?.
Hefner Road where Boldt Construction is located, across from the Evans store (now Bridgeway Church).

Bigrayok
03-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I remember in the late 70's a teen disco located at 50th and MacArthur and owned by Randy Chandler and his wife. Can't remember the name. They also started Christie's Toy Box. Randy died in Mexico some years back.

The teen disco was Starship 9. I never went there. I remember Lester "Boogie Man" Michaels had a teen dance club called Boogies off of N.W. 23rd and Council for a short time. I remember reading Randy Chandler's obituary when he died. He was only 39 years old from what I remember. A Christie's Toy Box at N.W. 10th and McArthur burned down a couple of years ago. I wondered what cleaning up that site was like?

Bigray in Ok

grantgeneral78
04-04-2011, 06:42 AM
The teen disco was Starship 9. I never went there. I remember Lester "Boogie Man" Michaels had a teen dance club called Boogies off of N.W. 23rd and Council for a short time. I remember reading Randy Chandler's obituary when he died. He was only 39 years old from what I remember. A Christie's Toy Box at N.W. 10th and McArthur burned down a couple of years ago. I wondered what cleaning up that site was like?

Bigray in Ok
Lester boogie Michaels real name was Randy chandler?

Bigrayok
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Lester Michaels and Randy Chandler were two different people.

Bigray in Ok

BlackmoreRulz
04-04-2011, 09:38 AM
That space was originally a Furr's before they moved to French Market Mall, Michael's Plum opened after Furr's moved out. That was the label on the original CD's in the vault at Benham.

Hefner Road where Boldt Construction is located, across from the Evans store (now Bridgeway Church).

Didn't Clementine's also start out in 50 Penn Place and then later moved to the Electric Company location?

Mickey Finn's at 89th and Walker was a southsiders hangout that was fun.

jmpokc1957
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes, I remember the Jail West back around 1975. I was hardly 17 and looked about 14. I still have the old ID where I penciled in a new birth date. It got me in!

Remember when the Oklahoma drivers license was paper with no pictures? I still have my old license/learners permit.

Mike

papaOU
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Yes, I remember the Jail West back around 1975. I was hardly 17 and looked about 14. I still have the old ID where I penciled in a new birth date. It got me in!

Remember when the Oklahoma drivers license was paper with no pictures? I still have my old license/learners permit.

Mike

I altered my draft card. Was that a federal offense?

bluedogok
04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Didn't Clementine's also start out in 50 Penn Place and then later moved to the Electric Company location?
I think Clementine's was in the old portion of Penn Square Mall that was torn down during the renovation. I think it was something else before that, but that was before my time to legally enter such places.

Stew
04-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Featherados

lake hefner breeze
06-04-2011, 09:01 AM
I went to many clubs located inside the old church on Classen that has since been torn down starting with Inertia in 1988 when Jon Moooneyham spun there, then Pandamonium, Infinity, King of Clubs, Infinity 2, and a few others. It had a creepy basement.

Backstreets on Western around where the graffiti bridge was. Had a record store inside. Handcuffs attached to the floor. Leather bar. 80's

The Wreck Room and Angles in the late 80's, early 90's.

The Bat Cave in a car wash building in Bricktown. Tony Aco spun acid house music there. '89

Planet Earth on 23rd just east of Western on the North side of the st. in old movie theater building. Early 90's techno club.

Club Pyramid in the Kingman building in Bricktown. Brian Frejo spun house music here. 1990

Kinetix, also in Kingman. Afterhours club. Had a "chillout room" that played ambient techno. 1990

Yucatan Liquor Stand- 90's

Mr. Leo's around 23rd and Western or Walker? All black club. 90's

The Zoo Club off I-35 and ? (Different than Zoo in old Confetti's location.) 90's

Cafe Exito on NW Expressway, previously City Lights. 80's

The Basement in downtown just South of I-40. In bottom of a building there, later became a black club. 90's

After Daddy's Money on Wilshire just East of Rockwell. Had an aquarium with a shark in it. 80's

Confettis where Petsmart is now at 63rd and May. 80's

Studio 310 in Bricktown on Sheraton. 90's

Crosswinds apartments on May Ave near 60th had a sweet little disco bar above the office that used a jukebox and kept it's authentic 70's atmosphere all the way through the late 90's. It was like stepping back in time.

Russels inside the Marriot. 90's

Boogies Place (also called BP's) at 50th and Meridian which became Gator's which became a lame banquet hall. 80's

Nate's: inside a building on the North side of 63rd across from where PetSmart is now. Very shortlived, near private access to get in. Crystal chandeliers all over. Brian and Bryan spun there. 80's

The Edge Club in Norman owned by David Box, later called the Shark Club. Renovated twin movie theater in Stubbeman Village strip. Brian and Bryan spun there, then DJ Love. 80's-90's

13th Floor in Norman, later Zeno's 13th Floor. Owned by Ron Zeno. 80's-90's

Star 7 Discotek (that's how it was spelled) in MWC owned by Ed Smith (aka: Ed Crunk) mid 90's

EBM at I-40 and Scott St. also owned by Ed. mid 90's

Westend Iguana late 90's

There were several clubs in the building that housed Jokers comedy club on May ave. I just can't remember the names.