View Full Version : Quiznos

kay
08-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Our Quiznos is gone! Turned into Billy Simms Barb-b-que.

BBatesokc
08-16-2010, 12:45 PM
I noticed that the other day when we were coming from our new favorite place in the area, Pho My. Anyone know if their BBQ is any good? I'm assuming its a chain. I'm surprised that Quiznos made it as long as it did. Was never very busy. The staff was always too busy texting to give good customer service and the parking lot was a mess for a long time.

oneforone
08-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Probably because there service was terrible and the food came in a close second to their service. I tried it several times over the last year and was never impressed with it. Jersey Mike's and Subway probably put it under. Both of those places have fast friendly service and the food is rarely bad.

Air Depot is probably one of the most competitive areas in the city for restaurants. If you cannot provide a fairly descent product and good service your not going to last on Air Depot. The Tinker lunch traffic alone will make you or break you. 95% of the food most people would eat is served somewhere on Air Depot or with a couple of blocks of it at each major intersection of Air Depot.

BBatesokc
12-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Tried this place out this afternoon after trying two other places (Cheddars and Logan's) that both had after church lines out the door.

Probably not a good sign, but Billy Simms BBQ had only one table of patrons.

The wife and I shared The Wishbone Combo (4 meats & 2 sides) for $12.99. Plenty of food for two people. Problems though abound in this establishment.

The decor looks like a BBQ place at a mall and even though there was only one table with customers at it, 4 other tables were dirty and we had to ask for one to be cleaned so we could sit down. One girl behind the counter was friendly and helpful. The two other women seemed less than happy to be at work and the apparent manager (some tall black guy) didn't get off his personal cell phone call the entire time we were there. The soda fountain was filthy and the plastic tubes with the forks and knives was disgusting. Lots of dried nasty drips and stuff all inside the containers were the silverware was.

The meat cuts seemed good enough, but they were ruined by the fact they ranged from room temp to cool (ribs, sliced brisket, chopped brisket, spicy sausage and bologna). The hot and mild sauce was okay - nothing special but not bad either. The sides we had (baked beans and slaw) were actually pretty good.

The restaurant was pretty cold too - considering it was 33 outside I think some heat was in order.

Needless to say, even though they had no customers, they never bothered to inquire how the meal was or say hello or good bye.

We might try it again, but no time soon. Its a shame because it could be a good place if they would just pay more attention to the details.

kevinpate
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Have never tried Simm's. Likely never will, at least not while Vann's stays in business in Moore and Norman (and of course Shawnee, but that's way outta my way so I leave it to the Pott Co. folk.)

Really good food and service and clean establishments in both Moore and Norman.

usmbubba
12-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Tried this place out this afternoon after trying two other places (Cheddars and Logan's) that both had after church lines out the door.

Probably not a good sign, but Billy Simms BBQ had only one table of patrons.

The wife and I shared The Wishbone Combo (4 meats & 2 sides) for $12.99. Plenty of food for two people. Problems though abound in this establishment.

The decor looks like a BBQ place at a mall and even though there was only one table with customers at it, 4 other tables were dirty and we had to ask for one to be cleaned so we could sit down. One girl behind the counter was friendly and helpful. The two other women seemed less than happy to be at work and the apparent manager (some tall black guy) didn't get off his personal cell phone call the entire time we were there. The soda fountain was filthy and the plastic tubes with the forks and knives was disgusting. Lots of dried nasty drips and stuff all inside the containers were the silverware was.

The meat cuts seemed good enough, but they were ruined by the fact they ranged from room temp to cool (ribs, sliced brisket, chopped brisket, spicy sausage and bologna). The hot and mild sauce was okay - nothing special but not bad either. The sides we had (baked beans and slaw) were actually pretty good.

The restaurant was pretty cold too - considering it was 33 outside I think some heat was in order.

Needless to say, even though they had no customers, they never bothered to inquire how the meal was or say hello or good bye.

We might try it again, but no time soon. Its a shame because it could be a good place if they would just pay more attention to the details.

I couldn't agree with you more. I had high hopes when they first opened but they were dashed with my first visit as well. I don't think the meat is prepared on site. I saw it packed in tubs and then sliced there. That seems to be the reason for the coolness of the product. The staff, I believe is the same as when it was a Quiznos, so it goes to reason that a bad staff killed it then, will probably kill it now. I had hoped for a good BBQ place in MWC. While I like Mr Spriggs food, the staff there turns me off as well.

bluedogok
12-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Quizno's has had a lot of troubles in recent years, mainly lawsuits between franchisees and Quizno's for a lot of different reasons. Down here there have been a few locations drop Quizno's and go independent.

bombermwc
12-13-2010, 06:40 AM
I was actually pleasantly surprised by Billy Sims...however it is "different" than your normal BBQ place. It's like BBQ, fast. The meats are mostly split into individual portions already (i'm betting they cook them elsewhere and just reheat at the store, but I could be wrong).

We got ours to go...I got a sliced brisket sandwich, and even after having to re-heat it once I got home, it was really good. The sauce had a good flavor (wasn't all vinegar heavy like nasty Spriggs). And it was Waaaay cheaper than Spencer's.

One th ing you'll notice is that they don't have anything fried on their menu (including fries). That's another reason why I'm wondering if they don't actually cook anything on-location. Not exactlly any different than a lot of chains, but you just usually don't get to see it in front of your face, it's hidden in the "kitchen".

They are super fast though....it's like Basil. It's a converted fast food place, so you order at the same fast food counter, but your food is ready really fast...and still tastes good, all while your wallot is happy too.

Bimmerdude
12-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Not to stray off-topic but......

Billy Simms will have to compete with Sprigg's BBQ which is just up the street from them. At least with Spriggs BBQ, the establishment is clean, and the staff is very friendly. Plenty of parking too.

So who knows???? We'll see how long Simm's BBQ will last.

BBatesokc
12-13-2010, 07:34 AM
I assumed the meat wasn't cook on-site either after seeing how it was served and tasting it. Saying that isn't much different than many fast food chains is not a compliment or a good sign in my book. BBQ is something most customers want as fresh as possible and love to brag about how good they cook it as this place or that place, etc. Pre-cooked, barely reheated and less than stellar employees will spell the death of this place within 2 years if they don't change things.

bluedogok
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Most BBQ is precooked just because it takes so long to cook it properly, most is done overnight so it is fresh for the lunch crowd. Now some places have enough business that they can keep it fresh during the entire day. I haven't found that many BBQ places in OKC that were busy enough to do that for the evening rush like some of the places down here that are just busy all day and evening long. Even some of Central Texas' most famous really only serve the fresh stuff at lunch. Now how you keep it warm is another issue, to me there is no good excuse to serve it cold or barely warm.

bombermwc
12-14-2010, 06:56 AM
And one difference, you can see it at Billy Sim's. If they had that meat warmer in the back, would we know any different and just assume it was fresh? Who knows.