View Full Version : Project 180

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

ljbab728
11-08-2011, 11:58 PM
http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-manager-promises-e.k.-gaylord-boulevard-reconstruction-will-occur/article/3621397?custom_click=lead_story_title

Just the facts
11-09-2011, 07:41 AM
How about a city-wide fast food sales tax for walkability projects? That's something I'd get behind.

I could support this. An extra 1% tax if you use the drive thru.

rcjunkie
11-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I could support this. An extra 1% tax if you use the drive thru.

I agree, and maybe another 1% if you Super Size your order.

Just the facts
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I agree, and maybe another 1% if you Super Size your order.

I'm not a fan of taxing what they buy, just how they buy it. If someone walks 4 blocks and orders a deep fried super vaue meal - fine with me. But if they drive 4 blocks and order a salad with low-fat dressing from their car they can help pay for 'walkability' improvements.

I could also go for a $12 per year tax on all non-residential parking spaces.

On second thought, it should extend to all drive-thrus from fast food, to drug stores, to banks.

The money could go for streetscape projects like Plaza District, new sidewalks, reduce curb radius at existing intersection, subsidizing streetcar fare, adding bike lanes, and regional rail education efforts.

Skyline
11-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Why should I pay for walkability if I don't walk?

If I don't use the sidewalks, Why should I have to pay for them?

We could set up sidewalk toll booths, much like the turnpikes. If you use the sidewalk you must pay the toll.

Just the facts
11-09-2011, 09:42 PM

We could set up sidewalk toll booths, much like the turnpikes. If you use the sidewalk you must pay the toll.

If you don't want to pay then just walk in. If you pay it is because you choose to pay. You could eat fast food 3X a day and never pay a penny of this tax - if you choose to.

JayhawkTransplant
11-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Many people who don't drive pay for the streets.

And many people will be paying for those who have weight-related health problems.

dankrutka
11-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Lol. I don't ever drive near 63rd and Western so why should I help pay for the roads to be paved and their to be a stoplight over there. Just set up a toll booth. What silly "logic."

ljbab728
11-14-2011, 11:06 PM
http://newsok.com/downtown-oklahoma-citys-coney-island-hot-dogs-is-a-survivor-but-is-struggling-through-project-180/article/3623304?custom_click=headlines_widget

Fantastic
11-15-2011, 07:28 PM
http://newsok.com/downtown-oklahoma-citys-coney-island-hot-dogs-is-a-survivor-but-is-struggling-through-project-180/article/3623304?custom_click=headlines_widget

This was a great story about Coney Island (thanks for writing it, Steve). My wife is pretty upset about Coney Island's troubles. She says that if Coney Island closes she's going to protest Project 180. I said, "How?" and she said she wasn't going to drive downtown. I pointed out that she won't drive downtown now, and she said, "I'm not going to drive downtown even more." lol

No, seriously, I hope Coney Island survives.

Just the facts
11-15-2011, 07:50 PM
This was a great story about Coney Island (thanks for writing it, Steve). My wife is pretty upset about Coney Island's troubles. She says that if Coney Island closes she's going to protest Project 180. I said, "How?" and she said she wasn't going to drive downtown. I pointed out that she won't drive downtown now, and she said, "I'm not going to drive downtown even more." lol

Did you tell your wife that her method of protest will result in more "coney islands"?

MDot
11-15-2011, 08:27 PM

Lol.

Fantastic
11-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Did you tell your wife that her method of protest will result in more "coney islands"?

I don't think she thought that far ahead.

Just the facts
11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Having walked the street of downtown Philly for the last 3 weeks I have a made a few observations and one of them is how fast the traffic lights change. Due to the rain tonight I sat in the hotel room and timed them. They are set on 25 seconds which is really fast. It makes walking very easy because you don't have to stand still for very long. It also makes traffic very smooth. Even during rush hour there were no more than 4 cars deep at any stop light because there wasn't time for the traffic to back up. Basically the crossing signal is on walk for 10 seconds and then counts down from 15 so you know how much time you have left to cross the street.

I don't know about OKC but the lights in downtown Jax don't change near that quickly. If they aren't already I hope as part of Project 180 they set the lights to change that quickly.

ljbab728
11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't walk downtown OKC regularly, but when I do, the lights don't seem slow at all.

Just the facts
11-16-2011, 10:48 PM
I don't walk downtown OKC regularly, but when I do, the lights don't seem slow at all.

I guess one of the downtown locals would have to time them. In Jax a light on the main road might stay green 2 minutes and only be red for 30 seconds but here in Philly it is 25 seconds for both streets.

ljbab728
11-16-2011, 11:02 PM
I think the lights in downtown OKC are much closer to 25 seconds than 2 minutes. Now if you want to talk about lights on NW Expwy, that's a totally different thing.

Rover
11-17-2011, 07:27 AM
I am only speculating here, but don't our lights change based on an algorithm based on approaching traffic measured by pressure plates embedded in the street? I didn't think they changed just based on time. But the point is well taken that the lights might not consider foot traffic. However, I thought that the buttons on the poles served the same purpose as the pressure plates, to signal the system that there was a demand for a pedestrian crossing.

kevinpate
11-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm speculating also, but I think some lights are purely time based, to stay in sync with other lights on the same travel path, and others are either timed but can be triggered, or change only if triggered.

As for cross walk buttons, I could be wrong, but I often think those are merely mechanical placebo Valium for patience challenged folk like me. Yeah, I admit it. I'm one of those who is compelled to push the elevator button even if it is already lit.

Just the facts
11-17-2011, 12:29 PM
The stop lights here don't even have that button. I timed a car from Philly City Hall to 30st station, about 1 mile, and even though it stopped at three lights it only took 2 minutes 15 seconds to go that distance during rush hour.

Spartan
11-17-2011, 03:28 PM

So then she won't support Coney Island either?

ElDuderino
11-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok....as a local Traffic Engineer, I feel it my obligation to reply.....first off, the majority of the traffic signals have vehicular and pedestrian detection capabilities. Pressure plates used to be used (before my time) and are not in use anymore. There are predominately two types of vehicular detection in use (in the OKC area) today. Some are in pavement, called loops, and some are based on video cameras (these are more common in Edmond and Norman however there are a few locations in OKC that have these). Intersections with detection are called actuated. There are also intersections throughout the City that do not have detection, these are called pre-timed and run on set timing. The pedestrian buttons are functional in all locations. When depressed, they put in a "call" (detection) into the controller to let it know that the corresponding phase needs to be long enough to allow a pedestrian to cross the street on that particular cycle. The intersections in the downtown core will mostly be pretimed and the pedestrian phases will be called every cycle. Also, once Project 180 is completed (or possibly sooner) the downtown lights will be coordinated with one another to maximize flow (both pedestrian and vehicular).

ljbab728
11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
The stop lights here don't even have that button. I timed a car from Philly City Hall to 30st station, about 1 mile, and even though it stopped at three lights it only took 2 minutes 15 seconds to go that distance during rush hour.

Sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands, Kerry. LOL

MDot
11-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Sounds more like Kerry is in Philly just for a vacation more than anything else. Lol J/K JTF, I don't doubt you even for a second. =)

Urban Pioneer
11-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Ok....as a local Traffic Engineer, I feel it my obligation to reply.....first off, the majority of the traffic signals have vehicular and pedestrian detection capabilities. Pressure plates used to be used (before my time) and are not in use anymore. There are predominately two types of vehicular detection in use (in the OKC area) today. Some are in pavement, called loops, and some are based on video cameras (these are more common in Edmond and Norman however there are a few locations in OKC that have these). Intersections with detection are called actuated. There are also intersections throughout the City that do not have detection, these are called pre-timed and run on set timing. The pedestrian buttons are functional in all locations. When depressed, they put in a "call" (detection) into the controller to let it know that the corresponding phase needs to be long enough to allow a pedestrian to cross the street on that particular cycle. The intersections in the downtown core will mostly be pretimed and the pedestrian phases will be called every cycle. Also, once Project 180 is completed (or possibly sooner) the downtown lights will be coordinated with one another to maximize flow (both pedestrian and vehicular).

Great post. Didn't know that there was a traffic engineer on the site. Great to see experts on here.

Just the facts
11-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Sounds like you have a lot of spare time on your hands, Kerry. LOL

Thanks to the location of my hotel room I had an unubstructed view of JFK boulevard all the way from City Hall to 30th St Station. I only work during the day so my evenings are reserved for minimal sight-seeing and urban research. I have also changed some of my views on regional rail around OKC based on my experience with the SEPTA system.

Just the facts
11-18-2011, 09:19 AM
The intersections in the downtown core will mostly be pretimed and the pedestrian phases will be called every cycle. Also, once Project 180 is completed (or possibly sooner) the downtown lights will be coordinated with one another to maximize flow (both pedestrian and vehicular).

I am glad to hear most of this. One of the things I have noticed about Philly is that it is impossible to make every light while driving a car. However, since each light cycle is only 25 seconds even when you do stop it isn't for very long. My guess is that it was done on purpose to calm traffic and allow people to enter/exit parallel parking without having someone behind them. It also allows buses to re-enter the flow of traffic without any cars being on their particular block. It is actually pretty neat to see how it works from 200 feet above it.

ElDuderino
11-18-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks to the location of my hotel room I had an unubstructed view of JFK boulevard all the way from City Hall to 30th St Station. I only work during the day so my evenings are reserved for minimal sight-seeing and urban research.

Just out of curiosity....try and make the same observation during an a.m. or p.m. peak hour and see if you get different results. My guess would be that the cycle lengths will be quite a bit longer in order to service all of the demands which could increase the delay...especially if the lights aren't coordinated.

Rover
11-18-2011, 09:50 AM
According to Philadelphia's version of OKCTalk, there is no central system of timing in Philly and yes, there is just as much controversy and complaining about their traffic flow as is here. They are complaining about how Philly is 20 years behind other cities. They say there are not sensors and that you wait to turn even when there are no opposing cars. The lights are timed individually and are not always sequenced properly and that the city has personnel who play with the timing constantly. Some say it favors pedestrians and others say it doesn't. Some complain about the million dollar bike lanes with no bikes in them. Their board looks as diverse, confused and often misinformed as ours. LOL

Philly sounds as screwed up as us. Everybody's grass always looks better.

Enjoy their discourse: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/center-city/11621-traffic-light-timing-philly-sucks.html

Just the facts
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Just out of curiosity....try and make the same observation during an a.m. or p.m. peak hour and see if you get different results. My guess would be that the cycle lengths will be quite a bit longer in order to service all of the demands which could increase the delay...especially if the lights aren't coordinated.

4 days a week I work and live in Center City Philadelphia. When I walk to work at 7:30 AM the lights are set at 25 seconds. When I walk to lunch the lights are set at 25 seconds. When I walk back to the hotel at 6PM the lights are set at 25 seconds. When I walk back from dinner at 9PM the lights are set at 25 seconds. Since I have yet to leave City Center (other than taking the train to the airport) I am not sure what the rest of metro-Philadelphia is like, but I am sure in the sprawl-dominated parts of the city the traffic sucks. I have yet to see any heavy congestion in City Center at any time of day. However, from my building I can see Interstate 76 (Schuylkill Expressway) across the river and starting about 4PM it is a stand-still and it doesn't have a single traffic light so go figure.

The building I am in has a cafeteria on the 43 floor so when get back in the office after Thanksgiving I will time traffic to see how fast a car can get through town during mid-day.

metro
11-18-2011, 10:56 AM
I LOVEEEEEEEEEE Philly. Talk about a well planned city. No wonder our nation was founded there. I walked for miles and miles when I visited there. Very walkable city with tons of street life and things to see/do.

Just the facts
11-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I LOVEEEEEEEEEE Philly. Talk about a well planned city. No wonder our nation was founded there. I walked for miles and miles when I visited there. Very walkable city with tons of street life and things to see/do.

BTW - Ben Franklin Parkway sucks. I can see how it is great for driving but as a pedestrian it is terrible. It is way too wide to cross in a single light change and there is not anything located along it. I walked it at lunch last week and I saw maybe 3 other people walking along it. I hope the new OKC Blvd is NOTHING like it.

The rest of City Center you are spot on about. I find myself taking the long way just to enjoy the walk. It does get a little iffy near the convention center though (CC committee take note).

Just the facts
11-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Philly sounds as screwed up as us. Everybody's grass always looks better.

Enjoy their discourse: http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/center-city/11621-traffic-light-timing-philly-sucks.html

Thanks for that link Rover - both groups on that discussion are right (almost). The initial poster was correct in that as a driver the lights turned red for the next block just as he was getting a green light, but he was way off in how long it took him to drive 4 blocks.

He claims it was 3 minutes but there is no way it could it have been more than 75 seconds. The lights change every 25 seconds so even if he had to wait the full time every time (which wouldn't happen) it wouldn't take anywhere close to 3 minutes. My own timing showed that a car at 6PM was able to go an entire mile in just over 2 minutes and it stopped at the same three lights he said he stopped at.

Here in Jax it is possible to stand on the edge of downtown looking towards the river and every traffic light you see is green at the same time. Invariably, someone tries to make all of those lights by going 65 mph. This is why I don't see how OKC can simultaneously give pedestrians and cars the same priority when it comes to traffic signals and safety. In the downtown core, midtown, bricktown, and deep deuce I would like to see the pedestrian given priority, maybe even to the extent that driving a car is considered a hassle.

For instance, the light at NE2 and Walnut should change every 25 seconds and the pedestrian call should be made every time. A pedestrian could walk from the NE corner to SW corner without having to stop and most cars would either have to stop or slow way down while driving through a high density residential area. Throw in some on-street parking and the potential for an active street life goes way up.

http://www.manayunk.com/

ljbab728
12-01-2011, 11:33 PM
http://newsok.com/plan-to-trim-project-180-downtown-makeover-approved-by-oklahoma-city-review-committee/article/3628340

Pete
12-02-2011, 07:31 AM
This whole thing has become almost scandalous... Horribly wrong tax projections, way over budget, huge reduction in scope and big delays.

Streets cut from Project 180 include Broadway, with the exception of the block between Main Street and Sheridan Avenue; all of E.K. Gaylord Boulevard; and sections of Main Street, Robert S. Kerr Avenue and NW 5 — between E.K. Gaylord and Broadway.

Other streets are likely to be delayed for years beyond the original 2014 completion target, including Park Avenue between Broadway and Walker Avenue.

Read more: http://newsok.com/plan-to-trim-project-180-downtown-makeover-approved-by-oklahoma-city-review-committee/article/3628340#ixzz1fO5y3yWi

Of Sound Mind
12-02-2011, 08:39 AM
This whole thing has become almost scandalous... Horribly wrong tax projections, way over budget, huge reduction in scope and big delays.
I hope city leaders realize that with this project and some of the issues with MAPS 3, they are earning a justified reputation as snake oil salespeople... Let them try to garner popular support for any more "grand" ideas... (but then again, "we" have been suckered into approving these grandiose pipe dreams before only to keep coming back again and again, saying "thank you, sir, may I have another?")

G.Walker
12-02-2011, 08:51 AM
The City Council is becoming very disappointing! Nothing is turning out as planned, scaled back Convention Center, scaled back Project 180, scaled back Boulevard, no funding for much needed quiet zone, the City sucks! They have too much going on at one time, they are moving too fast for their own good, and can't keep up with the demand, between Core to Shore, MAPS3, Project 180, MAPS for Kids, and other regular city demands, they are dropping the ball left and right.

Also, with all this let down, the city will never be able to pass another MAPS program, this will be our last one! I guess I was a fool to actually buy in to the downtown urban renewal, now I am cashing out!

OKCisOK4me
12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Yep, no more 'yes' votes for me on future MAPS projects. Sad for sure!

MDot
12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
You all have summed up my feelings perfectly. Thank you for saving me the words.

BoulderSooner
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
should they pull money out of thin air???

they got a loan from devon .... the loan will not be enough to cover all of the project 180 stuff on the origional timeline ...

this is not that big of a deal ... of course they have to adjust as they go ..

dteagle
12-02-2011, 11:36 AM
The funds from the Devon TIF could have easily been used to more directly benefit Devon, but instead it chose to benefit the broader downtown community. It is Devon that is in the best position to complain that the project is not meeting expectations and that it may not be getting its money's worth. It makes sense that the rest of us are disappointed (I am), but I think any outrage by the general public over Project 180 is misplaced.

The cost overruns for things like unexpected subterranean encroachments would have been hard to predict at the outset.

Reggie Jet
12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
I agree dteagle. I've tried to be civil and positive the few times I've posted on this board, but seeing some of the comments here, I can't help but think some of these folks simply need to take a chill pill.

MDot
12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I agree dteagle. I've tried to be civil and positive the few times I've posted on this board, but seeing some of the comments here, I can't help but think some of these folks simply need to take a chill pill.

You got one you can spare bro?

G.Walker
12-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Its not jut P180, but a collection of things that the City has let the public down on, it just seems like its getting worse!

MDot
12-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Its not jut P180, but a collection of things that the City has let the public down on, it just seems like its getting worse!

Nah, it's not that simple, we're just mean, agressive, negative, uncivil Oklahoma City haters that do nothng but express our real feelings about things rather than cover them up with flowers and a rainbow. LOL c'mon man.

I'm just kidding BTW for those of you who don't know the meaning of sarcastic. :Smiley199 and thank you dteagle and Reggie Jet for being so reasonable about it, some of us lack in that. =)

Just the facts
12-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Maybe it is time to ditch the MAPS sales tax idea and switch to a City Lottery. The City could sell lottery tickets that are project specific. If you like a project buy a lottery ticket. If you like it alot - then buy lots of tickets. Unpopular projects wouldn't get any money.

There could even be $1, $5 and $10 tickets. 30% go to winners, 5% to lottery operations, and the individual project gets the rest (including un-claimed prives and any interest collected).

The following projects could have their own scratch-off cards

1) Stage Center
2) FNC
3) Streetcar
4) Regional Rail
5) Project 180
6) Sidewalks
7) Convention Center

etc...

Have a preset revenue goal/time limit and when that amount/date is hit the game ends for the project.

Rover
12-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the only true scandal would be if there are truly illegal and highly unethical things going on. But to not recognize the risks involved in projecting and planning, as well as executing with few or no "as built" drawings for this city's infrastructure is just not realistic. The issue is balancing fiscal responsibility with big enough initiatives to propel our city forward. To get everything done first class and of the scope everyone on here seems to wants the only answer is more project micro management and higher taxes. We will not, nor should we expect things for free or less than market costs just because we love the city. We should expect tight and legal management. If illegalities and other improprieties have driven these costs up then let's expose them vigorously and prosecute. Steve, do you want to lead the way?

BDP
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe it is time to ditch the MAPS sales tax idea and switch to a City Lottery. The City could sell lottery tickets that are project specific. If you like a project buy a lottery ticket. If you like it alot - then buy lots of tickets. Unpopular projects wouldn't get any money.

There could even be $1, $5 and $10 tickets. 30% go to winners, 5% to lottery operations, and the individual project gets the rest (including un-claimed prives and any interest collected).

The following projects could have their own scratch-off cards

1) Stage Center
2) FNC
3) Streetcar
4) Regional Rail
5) Project 180
6) Sidewalks
7) Convention Center

etc...

Have a preset revenue goal/time limit and when that amount/date is hit the game ends for the project.

We could also have a bake sale...

BDP
12-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Also, with all this let down, the city will never be able to pass another MAPS program, this will be our last one! I guess I was a fool to actually buy in to the downtown urban renewal, now I am cashing out!

180 wasn't funded by MAPS and the reality is that what has been accomplished by 180 would have never happened without MAPS leading the way.

Seriously, the new Myriad Gardens park is great and my family and I can enjoy it right now. I would have liked to have more of the prettier streets and more of the landscaping that 180 is in the processing of adding to downtown, but we truly (finally!) got a nice and functional park we can all enjoy. 180 isn't going to be everything it said it would be, but it gave me another way to enjoy the city and another reason to come downtown and maybe live there. So, thanks, Devon and Project 180!

Just the facts
12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
We could also have a bake sale...

Bake sales are no good. They cost as much to run as they raise. It's much more profitable to print tickets. I don't play any lotteries but I would buy more than my share of streetcar and regional rail lotto tickets because I know the money is going to fund what I want. Prizes don't even need to be in cash. I would be happy winning a free annual rail pass.

rcjunkie
12-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I hope city leaders realize that with this project and some of the issues with MAPS 3, they are earning a justified reputation as snake oil salespeople... Let them try to garner popular support for any more "grand" ideas... (but then again, "we" have been suckered into approving these grandiose pipe dreams before only to keep coming back again and again, saying "thank you, sir, may I have another?")

Only in the minds of naysayers!

Pete
12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
This issue isn't with Devon although they basically rule the implementation committee...

It's about the city being way, way off on virtually everything about this project. Simply put, this is a tax-driven initiative managed and promoted by the city and it's gone way off the rails.

They can't keep doing this... Being way off on the projected revenues, way over on the actual costs and simultaneously delivering well less than promised while exceeding budgets. And doing it years late.

I've personally managed big construction projects and fully understand the fantastic complexity of something like this but I can also tell you that when my numbers were way off or we blew deadlines by a significant amount, there was hell to pay. I had to answer for not allowing enough in terms of contingency and anticipating that things are ALWAYS tougher and more expensive than planned. I was made to provide a specific action plan of what I was going to do to avoid these sorts of things in the future. And if I did any of these things more than once, you can be sure I would have been out of a job.

The City needs to be held accountable and that's coming from someone that very much wants more of these types of projects in the future. But if the people managing them can't be trusted -- and we are way, way off here -- we can't merely say "Oh well, these things happen" and not institute any sort of changes.

Larry OKC
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Just the facts: the Lottery idea is interesting, a truly voluntary tax on those that support the project(s). However, there are problems associated with it as well. We have seen that with the Education Lottery and its missed projections. According to the official site, after six years, the total amount raised is still less than the amount it was supposed to bring in yearly ($500 million or half a billion as proposed by then Sen. Henry). To date, the site shows $436 million total. Then there is still the problem of cost over runs (supposedly contingency funds are built into the budgets but they are still multi-million dollars short) and "unexpected complications" (didn't we have similar problems when they were putting in the Canal)?

Add to that, I think the privilege of having a Lottery is reserved for the State and the Tribes (while they are allowed to have them, I don't think any of them do). While certainly not impossible, it would require legislation and probably a vote of the people???

metro
12-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Dup post please delete

metro
12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
You guys are blowing it out of perspective. P180 was basically a gift from Devon, it's not YOUR tax dollars and you didn't vote on it. Disappointing yes, but chill out. We are in a depression, let's keep it in perspective.

Steve
12-03-2011, 07:44 PM
Project 180 is funded from future property taxes to be result from construction of Devon Energy Center. Devon would have been required to pay those taxes to the city, county, health dept, schools, libraries, and careertech. The taxes instead are to be diverted to the tax increment finance district per agreement of the taxing entities, with the entities themselves to receive $20 million from the proceeds. Devon loaned the money to the city to get work started on Project 180 so it wouldn't have to wait the 25 years to collect those taxes via the tax increment finance district.

ljbab728
12-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I think maybe Metro's point is that if Devon hadn't decided to build a tower none of that would have happened. At least it wouldn't have been at the same level.

Just the facts
12-04-2011, 06:55 AM
You guys are blowing it out of perspective. P180 was basically a gift from Devon, it's not YOUR tax dollars and you didn't vote on it. Disappointing yes, but chill out. We are in a depression, let's keep it in perspective.

You need to check again about how TIF districts work. All tax money is "Your tax dollars". Instead of taxes being used to support the general fund, Devon taxes are earmarked to improve the area around the Devon's office building. If anyone got a "gift" it was Devon and thanks to their loan - they get that gift 25 years early with interest.

Now having said that, I am in favor of this kind of taxing startegy because it promotes high density development in the urban core and hopefully prevents future spending at the suburban fringe which, if done enough, would have huge future tax savings for everyone. I would like to see a TIF district that encompassed the entire urban core of OKC (everything between I-240/I-44/I-35).

Pete
12-04-2011, 08:59 AM
There are still a million unanswered questions about this project:

Will they completely finish Phase II? Colcord, Couch, etc.?
Does this mean Robinson (and other streets) will have a finished sections sandwiching stretches that haven't been touched, perhaps for years?
Do these untouched stretches and now omitted streets stay one-way?
Does this mean we will have a ton of mis-matched streetlights (not to mention sidewalks, streetscapes, and a ton of other elements) all through downtown?
When -- if ever -- will the final phase start?
What happens to high-visibility streets like Park and Robert S Kerr now? Left to look even shabbier compared to completely revamped neighboring stretches?
What does this mean for Centennial and Kerr Parks?
If the shortfall/overruns could have been better anticipated, couldn't we have skipped redoing streets like Reno that had already seen recent renovations?
Will we ever see detailed budgets and cost reports?
Can we expect similar shortfalls & overruns for the MAPS 3 projects and if so, what are we doing about it?

I'm extremely uncomfortable with this "Oh, we were way, way off and we just cut a bunch of stuff out (don't worry about too much detail) and we are going to completely stop soon but we hope to find more money somewhere, sometime."

Steve
12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
There are still a million unanswered questions about this project:

Will they completely finish Phase II? Colcord, Couch, etc.?
Does this mean Robinson (and other streets) will have a finished sections sandwiching stretches that haven't been touched, perhaps for years?
Do these untouched stretches and now omitted streets stay one-way?
Does this mean we will have a ton of mis-matched streetlights (not to mention sidewalks, streetscapes, and a ton of other elements) all through downtown?
When -- if ever -- will the final phase start?
What happens to high-visibility streets like Park and Robert S Kerr now? Left to look even shabbier compared to completely revamped neighboring stretches?
What does this mean for Centennial and Kerr Parks?
If the shortfall/overruns could have been better anticipated, couldn't we have skipped redoing streets like Reno that had already seen recent renovations?
Will we ever see detailed budgets and cost reports?
Can we expect similar shortfalls & overruns for the MAPS 3 projects and if so, what are we doing about it?

I agree, there are still many unanswered questions I agree with many of your questions. I'm struggling to get them answered.