View Full Version : Just found out I'm a victim of credit card fraud but my card wasn't lost or stolen

earlywinegareth
08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
The card has been canceled and I've filed an affidavit at my credit union to be reimbursed for the disputed fraudulent charges (4 of them totaling $820).

The thing I don't understand is this: my card was not lost or stolen, yet somehow someone made purchases at two Wal-Marts and a Dillard's in Texas. How is this possible when the actual card is in my possession?

I got on the Wal-Mart and Dillard's websites and submitted this question to their customer service departments. I'm anxious to hear what they say.

ultimatesooner
08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
they get your # and make a duplicate card with your info - this has happened to a few people i work with lately

Eep
08-12-2010, 12:38 PM
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/www-insideidtheft-info/31902-credit-card-skimmer-exposed-video.htm#

kevinpate
08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
I know a fella who traveled out of state with a relative. He used a card for a room or two, gas, snacks, meals.
Somewhere along the way, someone skimmed the card. The con artist then sat on the skimmed info for a couple of months.

This was more than enough time for the fella to carefully examine his bill when it came in and for him to be satisfied no odd charges existed.
Ditto for the bill after that one - usual and customary use only reported on the bill.
Then, one weekend, his info was used for several hundred worth of smallish this and that purchases, all racked up in a state he did not even pass through on his vacation.
He was here in Oklahoma at the time, as was his card.

He got his funds back, and a new card, but yeah, this got up under his skin for a spell.
I've been hit before, but never big, and never anything very sophisticated.

Sophisticated or sloppy, this crap is never fun when it happens.

Thunder
08-12-2010, 05:23 PM
It is a profitable business, as long you do not get caught. I've got some skimmers around the city. Know what you are doing...will never get caught. Order things online...ship to random address...and stake out at those addresses for immediate pickup. (Btw, I was not serious...) :-)

Honestly, those that had been skimmed...their fault! It is your card, you are responsible for it. That does not mean you can just give it to someone.... You hold that card at all time and you swipe the card yourself. It is obvious when you swipe your card to know if there is a skimmer attached or not. We shouldn't have sympathy for these people.

Eep
08-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Honestly, those that had been skimmed...their fault! It is your card, you are responsible for it. That does not mean you can just give it to someone.... You hold that card at all time and you swipe the card yourself. It is obvious when you swipe your card to know if there is a skimmer attached or not. We shouldn't have sympathy for these people.:pat_head: Don't dine out at nice restaurants much, do you?

Blaming the victim isn't cool. That's like saying that anyone whose info gets stolen out of an online database due to crappy web programming is at fault because they didn't check the site for SQL injection vulnerabilities first.

Easy180
08-12-2010, 06:35 PM
:pat_head: Don't dine out at nice restaurants much, do you?

Blaming the victim isn't cool. That's like saying that anyone whose info gets stolen out of an online database due to crappy web programming is at fault because they didn't check the site for SQL injection vulnerabilities first.

That was a pretty ignorant statement...Plenty of scenarios where it is impossible to swipe the card yourself

Thunder
08-12-2010, 06:59 PM
:pat_head: Don't dine out at nice restaurants much, do you?

Pay cash. Simple.

MadMonk
08-12-2010, 07:55 PM
If you get mugged with all your cash, is it your fault too?

BBatesokc
08-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Pay cash. Simple.

Actually, that is the worst advice except for very small purchases.

BBatesokc
08-13-2010, 07:27 AM
As long as you keep up with your credit card charges (we go online nightly) and you don't carry a balance, then CC's are your best bet. I used to use my Visa Debit all the time, but when I found fraudulent charges a couple of years ago it was a bigger hassle to get it credited back than if it had happened with a credit card. It was all covered and resolved within a week, but for that time the cash was gone an unavailable to me. Credit card companies will cover for fraud, often extend existing warranties, have perks/points/cash back, offer discounts on hotels and car rentals, provide insurance (life and car rental in my case) and more. Really the only down side I see is if you abuse the CC and carry a balance for more than a month or two. Though we've made large purchases with CC checks that offered no interest for 6 months to a year just to keep the cash working for us. Plus if you get ripped off you're screwed if you paid cash but with a CC you often have recourse.

The biggest mistake financially you can make trying to protect yourself is those companies like LifeLock, major scams.

earlywinegareth
08-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Skimming and cloning cards...I had no idea this type of fraud technology was out there, otherwise I would never have let the card out of my hands. Restaurants are the only places the card got of my sight. I haven't been outside OKC metro in several months, so it happened somewhere around here, just don't know where. In the past month I've visited restaurants in OKC, Norman, and Midwest City. I'm now weighing whether to carry cash again...I haven't in a long time. Maybe only when we go out to eat...make the obligatory ATM visit on the way. Sucks. Hurry up thumbprint verification technology!

One good thing...the funds were credited back to my account this morning. The fraud occurred Wednesday, I filed the affidavit Thursday, and today (Friday) the money was returned. Thank you Tinker Federal Credit Union!

jmarkross
08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been ganked a few times...with cards...most important thing, I think is--especially if you use them online--BE SURE about your bank's policy for handling this. Mine has me sign an affadavit and then credits me the amount back immediately and then awaits any disputes--which never comes from crooks. I have not had any problems with VISA of MasterCard. I also use a separate online debit card for internet buys--with limits on it...and shift money back and forth when needed for that account. Keeping any deep pockets away from scammers. No place is safe anymore...worst thing of all is a CHECK--your name. address, phone number, bank account number and facsimile signature--the PERFECT ID Theft Kit!!

BBatesokc
08-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Customers' credit information stolen at local restaurant

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-credit-info-stolen-restaurant-story,0,2223088.story

earlywinegareth
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I talked to another TFCU member who was scammed the same way last month. She reported it to police who told her hundreds of people were skimmed at Buffalo Wild Wings and that TFCU has been hit so hard recently that there is an investigation with the FBI.

Neither of us had eaten at BWWs so the problem around here is more than just one person.

Easy180
08-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Use online bill pay instead of checks since the bill pay check does not include your account info

dismayed
08-13-2010, 09:42 PM
They don't even need access to your card at all. The bad guys can randomly create a number that just happens to be yours. That has been happening a lot lately too.

Yeah the bad guys are ultimately to blame, but it is clear in my mind that the industry has some culpability in this because the system is just so flimsy. The front door may be locked but everyone knows the keys are under the matt.... The problem is that the industry refuses to spend the money to improve the system... and so they simply will not address this problem until there is a major incident (or law) that eventually forces them to. Until then expect more band-aid fixes like $50 liability limits....

jmarkross
08-13-2010, 11:35 PM
They don't even need access to your card at all. The bad guys can randomly create a number that just happens to be yours. That has been happening a lot lately too.

Yeah the bad guys are ultimately to blame, but it is clear in my mind that the industry has some culpability in this because the system is just so flimsy. The front door may be locked but everyone knows the keys are under the matt.... The problem is that the industry refuses to spend the money to improve the system... and so they simply will not address this problem until there is a major incident (or law) that eventually forces them to. Until then expect more band-aid fixes like $50 liability limits....

My bank will treat a fraudulent VISA debit as a "returned check" and then the so-called debit holder must prove their validity. Seems to eliminate any problem for me other than the hassle. My only charges originated in Eastern Europe...and many do...and my bank charges me nothing. NEVER use any bank that makes you suffer in any way--it is VISA and MasterCard's RESPONSIBILITY to prove debits--NOT YOURS! A debit is essentially a "check"...nothing more. My VISA debit says "ATM/Check Card"--very, very different than a credit card--which can go under different rules.

jmarkross
08-13-2010, 11:40 PM
If you get mugged with all your cash, is it your fault too?

It is one of the few times that it IS your fault...if you had been packin' a PIECE and were fairly good at using it--you would still have your geetz in your pocket...:doh:

jmarkross
08-13-2010, 11:44 PM
As long as you keep up with your credit card charges (we go online nightly) and you don't carry a balance, then CC's are your best bet. I used to use my Visa Debit all the time, but when I found fraudulent charges a couple of years ago it was a bigger hassle to get it credited back than if it had happened with a credit card. It was all covered and resolved within a week, but for that time the cash was gone an unavailable to me. Credit card companies will cover for fraud, often extend existing warranties, have perks/points/cash back, offer discounts on hotels and car rentals, provide insurance (life and car rental in my case) and more. Really the only down side I see is if you abuse the CC and carry a balance for more than a month or two. Though we've made large purchases with CC checks that offered no interest for 6 months to a year just to keep the cash working for us. Plus if you get ripped off you're screwed if you paid cash but with a CC you often have recourse.

The biggest mistake financially you can make trying to protect yourself is those companies like LifeLock, major scams.

LifeLock is a travesty! Rather than risk any losses--sign up with those sorry bastards and TAKE the LOSS from them! Ha! I think they help scamsters (if not do them themselves!) to drum up their nefarious business...

jmarkross
08-13-2010, 11:50 PM

It has WHOLE LOT to do with lawyers--like so many other problems. They create the confusing laws and barriers and hoops to jump through...making money coming and going. Need draconian laws for lawyers to PAY when they lose frivolous cases. AND a strict lifetime disbarment...with *zero* mercy for unscrupulous behavior. They can learn a new trade like everyone else when the screw up.

BBatesokc
08-14-2010, 06:13 AM
It is one of the few times that it IS your fault...if you had been packin' a PIECE and were fairly good at using it--you would still have your geetz in your pocket...:doh:

That's a very irresponsible statement, and I say that as an individual who has a canceal and carry and is CLEET certified (along with my wife). You've obviously been watching too many tv shows. If someone is armed and is robbing you it's already too late to use your weapon. The best defense is to stay aware and avoid situations that make you an easy victim.

earlywinegareth
08-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Just saw similar thread in the Food & Restaurants section of this forum re BWW at I-40 & Rockwell. This skimming/cloning threat is real and ongoing right now in the OKC metro and it's not isolated. Please tell your friends and family to be uber careful.

My new rule is: the card doesn't leave my sight.

OKCisOK4me
08-14-2010, 12:59 PM

From the way I understand it, you could view it the whole time...the digits are scanned, or whatever, during transmission through the phone line, right? If my understanding is correct, then it's really quite ridiculous. Either way it's bad. I have heard the stories of how they swipe your card into their own little swiper which retains your digits and exp. date, while they're taking care of your tab. Crazy, crazy, crazy. I work in retail and I just don't understand why people do this.

BBatesokc
08-14-2010, 02:52 PM
There really is no reason to stress out about it, or hover over your credit card. Just hold on to your receipts (we have a little box by the door where we put all our receipts or use our cell phone camera to take a pic of the receipt) in case you are charged too much for a legitimate purchase and check your account online on a very regular basis.

We also use the app called Mint and it's great. We get an email whenever there is a large deposit/withdrawal or unusual spending. We can also use it go check our banking accounts anytime.

Vegan
08-14-2010, 05:49 PM

My credit card number got stolen and the card had NEVER left my hands. I only ever used it to purchase gas and sometimes groceries. But, one day the credit card company sent me an e-mail wanting me to verify that I was NOT shopping in Wal-Mart in Wisconsin. Was not held responsible for the charges and got a new card right away. I feel like I was lucky though I'm still left wondering how someone managed to get my number.

Kerry
08-17-2010, 07:15 AM
LifeLock is a travesty! Rather than risk any losses--sign up with those sorry bastards and TAKE the LOSS from them! Ha! I think they help scamsters (if not do them themselves!) to drum up their nefarious business...

Here is all you need to know about LifeLock

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/05/lifelock-identity-theft/

Apparently, when you publish your Social Security number prominently on your website and billboards, people take it as an invitation to steal your identity.

LifeLock CEO Todd Davis, whose number is displayed in the company’s ubiquitous advertisements, has by now learned that lesson. He’s been a victim of identity theft at least 13 times, according to the Phoenix New Times.

That’s 12 more times than has previously been known.

In June 2007, Threat Level reported that Davis had been the victim of identity theft after someone used his identity to obtain a $500 loan from a check-cashing company. Davis discovered the crime only after the company called his wife’s cellphone to recover the unpaid debt.

About four months after that story published, Davis’ identity was stolen again by someone in Albany, Georgia, who opened an AT&T/Cingular wireless account using his Social Security number (.pdf), according to a police report obtained by the New Times. The perpetrator racked up $2,390 in charges on the account, which remained unpaid. Davis, whose real name according to police reports is Richard Todd Davis, only learned a year later that his identity had been stolen again after AT&T handed off the debt to a collection agency and a note appeared on his credit report.

Then last year, Davis discovered seven more fraudulent accounts on his credit report that were opened with his personal information and have outstanding debt, according to the police report.

Someone opened a Verizon account in New York, leaving an unpaid bill of at least $186. An account at Centerpoint Energy, a Texas utility, was delinquent $122. Credit One Bank was owed $573, and Swiss Colony, a gift-basket company, was seeking $312.

In addition to these amounts, Davis’s credit report showed five collection agencies were seeking other sums from accounts opened in his name: Bay Area Credit was pursuing $265; Associated Credit Services was seeking two debts in the amount of $207 and $213; Enhanced Recovery Corporation was chasing $250 and $381.

A spokeswoman for the Albany police, who investigated the AT&T/Cingular account but never made any arrest, told the New Times that Davis’ publication of his Social Security number created more victims than just himself.

“It’s unfortunate he chose to conduct business in that way,” spokeswoman Phyllis Banks said. “It’s not fair to [AT&T] because they’re losing a pretty substantial amount of money.”

LifeLock refused to discuss the issue with the New Times. The company did not respond to a request for comment from Threat Level.

The company was fined $12 million in March by the Federal Trade Commission for deceptive advertising.

Lifelock promised in ads that its $10 monthly service would protect consumers from identity theft. The company also offered a $1 million guarantee to compensate customers for losses incurred if they became a victim after signing up for the service. The FTC called the claims bogus and accused LifeLock of operating a scam.

“In truth, the protection they provided left such a large hole … that you could drive that truck through it,” said FTC Chairman Jon Leibowitz, referring to a LifeLock TV ad showing a truck painted with Davis’s Social Security number driving around city streets.

Davis’ history as an identity-theft victim would seem to call into question the company’s ability to protect consumers from a similar fate.

Kerry
08-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Here is the best way to protect your identity:

http://clarkhoward.com/topics/credit_freeze_states.html

Jethrol
12-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Honestly, those that had been skimmed...their fault! It is your card, you are responsible for it.
Wrong. Your logic is that of a retarded 5 year old....ok that's not fair...it's more like that of a high school student.

It's not someone's fault for getting their card skimmed, it's YOUR fault for skimming it. You performed the action to steal their identity...therefore it's your fault. THAT is what being responsible for your actions means.

See I don't steal people's credit card numbers because I'm not a criminal....you/your friends ARE. You will get caught and when you do, you will get charges pressed. Why? Because people are sick and tired of freeloading criminals.

Thunder
01-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Wrong. Your logic is that of a retarded 5 year old....ok that's not fair...it's more like that of a high school student.

It's not someone's fault for getting their card skimmed, it's YOUR fault for skimming it. You performed the action to steal their identity...therefore it's your fault. THAT is what being responsible for your actions means.

See I don't steal people's credit card numbers because I'm not a criminal....you/your friends ARE. You will get caught and when you do, you will get charges pressed. Why? Because people are sick and tired of freeloading criminals.

Looks like you are wrong and I quoted your post as evidence in case you delete it at a later time. People are responsible to keep their eyes on the card at all times. No matter what...where...how..whatever, they just have to supervise the person swiping their cards. And, it is quite obvious to notice the difference when a device have something attached to it.

mugofbeer
01-01-2011, 11:38 PM
All it takes is one waiter at a restaurant to jot down your card number. You don't need the card to leave your possession for more than a minute or two.

TGall
01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Thunder I guess you don't go on vactions and stay at Hotels...

Jethrol
01-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Looks like you are wrong and I quoted your post as evidence in case you delete it at a later time. People are responsible to keep their eyes on the card at all times. No matter what...where...how..whatever, they just have to supervise the person swiping their cards. And, it is quite obvious to notice the difference when a device have something attached to it.
What are you? 15 years old? I don't care if you quote my post or not....I'm not deleting it.

Please explain how you stealing my number is my fault? You committed the act of stealing....therefore it's YOUR fault. get it?

Thunder
01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
What are you? 15 years old? I don't care if you quote my post or not....I'm not deleting it.

Please explain how you stealing my number is my fault? You committed the act of stealing....therefore it's YOUR fault. get it?

Incorrect. If a person stole my credit card info, it is not their fault. It will technically be my fault for allowing the credit card out of my sight and/or not being careful with the credit card. The only fault the person would commit is the act of committing a crime...nothing more.

FritterGirl
01-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Thunder, there are numerous other ways credit card numbers can get stolen, including online security breaches as well as breaches in secure databases, that have NOTHING TO DO with a card having left someone's possession. It's myopic in notion to think this is the only way credit card fraud can happen, because the facts do not bear out that theory.

When I lived in Europe in the EARLY 1990s, most nicer restaurants had wireless scanners that would be brought to the table for you to pay your bill. Your card NEVER left your possesion since you scanned it at the table. Further, you had to use your PIN number (even for CREDIT CARD purchases, not just DEBIT CARDS), not sign something. Now, I can go and make purchases at multiple places (even Target), and if my total purchase price is below a certain number, I don't even have to sign the on-site signature pad. The purchase is automatically accepted sans signature and a receipt provided. I'm still not sure why this technology hasn't caught on in the US - and it's been TWENTY YEARS!!!

Jethrol
01-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Incorrect. If a person stole my credit card info, it is not their fault. It will technically be my fault for allowing the credit card out of my sight and/or not being careful with the credit card. The only fault the person would commit is the act of committing a crime...nothing more.
Damn you're dense and your logic is not sound. If you let the card out of your sight, nothing has happened. The only time something harmful happens is when the thief does the action. Therefore the cause of the action is the thief, the responsibility for taking that action rests on the thief....if the thief never takes the action, nothing has happened.

Jethrol
01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Thunder, there are numerous other ways credit card numbers can get stolen, including online security breaches as well as breaches in secure databases, that have NOTHING TO DO with a card having left someone's possession. It's myopic in notion to think this is the only way credit card fraud can happen, because the facts do not bear out that theory.

When I lived in Europe in the EARLY 1990s, most nicer restaurants had wireless scanners that would be brought to the table for you to pay your bill. Your card NEVER left your possesion since you scanned it at the table. Further, you had to use your PIN number (even for CREDIT CARD purchases, not just DEBIT CARDS), not sign something. Now, I can go and make purchases at multiple places (even Target), and if my total purchase price is below a certain number, I don't even have to sign the on-site signature pad. The purchase is automatically accepted sans signature and a receipt provided. I'm still not sure why this technology hasn't caught on in the US - and it's been TWENTY YEARS!!!
Good point.