Best Mexican restaurant
Ted’s Café Escondido

Best Italian restaurant
Bellini’s Italian Ristorante

Best place for a first date
Bricktown

Jesseda
08-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with most, except the teds thing, maybe best mexican american-texmex food but not best mexican common

dankrutka
08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
There are two ridiculous ones in my opinion:
1. Most likely place to see a Flaking Lip: Bricktown? Really?
2. Best restaurant in Norman: The Mont? Seriously?!? Norman has so many great local restaurants (i.e. Pepe Delgado's, Tarahumara's, Greek House, The Diner, Seven47, Legends, The Earth, Victoria's...). The Mont is a fun place to have a drink on the patio, but there food is average.

dankrutka
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Sorry about the errors. Typing on phone. *Flaming *their

jbrown84
08-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I thought the same thing about the Flaming Lip one.

kevinpate
08-11-2010, 02:28 PM
...The Mont is a fun place to have a drink on the patio, but there food is average.

You're very generous in your assessment of their grub.

No doubt The Mont qualifies as a Norman rite of passage, but from a meal perspective, I've never much cottoned to it even coming close to living up to its hype.

OKCNDN
08-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Best restaurant more people should know about...

Best food on the street or in a truck...

Big Truck Tacos

Nope, not even close.

This honor would go to the taco truck:woowoo:, it doesn't have an official name, the taco truck just east of Ann Arbor and NW 10th. It sits on the north side of the road. Great mexican food there, not tex-mex, MEXICAN food. Place is run by a mexican staff. This place seems to always have a crowd in front of it. Great tacos.

BDP
08-11-2010, 03:24 PM
It does kind of look like some people need to get out more. The Gazette's poll used to be more interesting. Now it seems pretty watered down to me. The nominations are usually good, but the winners are pretty bland, both literally and figuratively, imo.

adaniel
08-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I second the Mont as having less than stellar food. Nine bucks for a burnt burger?

Louie's has good bar food? If your like bar food thats bland and overpriced then yes its fantastic!

Some the worst sushi I've ever had was Sushi Neko. Way better sushi places around OKC.

And no offense but I don't get the obsession here with Ted's. A simple drive south of the Oklahoma River offers way more in authentic Tex Mex.

Did people even pay attention when they were voting for these or did they just pick the most familair one? Very uninspiring list IMO.

Jersey Boss
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
There is usually a relation between the nominees/winners and ads placed by same in the Gazzette.

Platemaker
08-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I thought the same thing about the Flaming Lip one.

I see Wayne often in the Plaza District... walking a dog.

jbrown84
08-11-2010, 03:38 PM
The Gazette's poll used to be more interesting. Now it seems pretty watered down to me. The nominations are usually good, but the winners are pretty bland, both literally and figuratively, imo.

Exactly. I don't remember the winners ever being so blah.

BDP
08-11-2010, 03:42 PM
There is usually a relation between the nominees/winners and ads placed by same in the Gazzette.

No doubt. The Oklahoman is even worse. I have seen it first hand where a local retailer had won it for like 13 years. Then, a competitor bought a full page ad and, surprise!, they won.

cdbthunder
08-11-2010, 03:53 PM
So after looking at the winners and catergories there was one that piqued my interest " Big Truck Tacos ". I visited their website and was a little confused about the concept, meaning was there just the truck where you got your food or was there an actual restaurant you could dine in at. The photos on their website show mainly the truck and people lined up to order so I called and spoke to a manager and she assured me that they had a dine in location on NW 23 st. I was pretty impressed to see a photo of the two owners with our native son Skip Bayless and if you read their " about us " info you will learn that they both have quite the culinary credentials. Has anybody tried this place out yet and if so would you recommend eating there ?

OKCTalker
08-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I see a common theme here: The GAZETTE has become boring and stale. Have they become "Daily Oklahomanized?"

jbrown84
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM
So after looking at the winners and catergories there was one that piqued my interest " Big Truck Tacos ". Has anybody tried this place out yet and if so would you recommend eating there ?

I'm surprised you've never heard of it. There probably hasn't been a more buzzed about restaurant in the last year. I'm sure there's a very long thread for it in the Food Court. It comes pretty highly recommended, though some feel it's overpriced.

onthestrip
08-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Big Truck Tacos won restaurant more people need to know about..? Like anymore people need to know about this place. It's already popular as hell. The winner should probably go to more of a hole in the wall type place.

fuzzytoad
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Big Truck Tacos won restaurant more people need to know about..? Like anymore people need to know about this place. It's already popular as hell. The winner should probably go to more of a hole in the wall type place.

yeah, red flags all over for Big Truck Tacos...

wins "Best restaurant more people should know about", yet also wins "Best restaurant that’s open late", "Best food on the street or in a truck" & "Best new restaurant"? That doesn't make sense...

I've been there, it's mediocre at best and not nearly worth the prices they charge...

You then see that places like Teds, Louie's and Sushi Neko won, wtf?

Next year, can we actually see the number of legitimate nominations and votes each place received?

I know bitched about this last year when Bricktown Burgers wasn't even in the running despite over a thousand nominations from a single place of business located downtown, but c'mon people.. open your eyes

betts
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree. For the most part the winners are all rather predictable and pedestrian. Coffee Slingers has better coffee than anyone, but most likely not enough voters have been there. Although I like Cattleman's, they're steaks are definitely not the best in town. Red Prime and The Ranch get my vote. I'd suggest Deep Deuce Grill for best burger, personally. Best pizza is the Wedge, IMO, but I like the one at Stella too. Red Prime wins best appetizers, hands down, IMO. Iguana Grill is my favorite place for Mexican and the Coach House is my favorite upscale restaurant. I wouldn't go to Bellini's for Italian, personally and isn't there a category that fits Cheevers, one of my all time favorites.

cdbthunder
08-12-2010, 07:51 AM
I'm surprised you've never heard of it. There probably hasn't been a more buzzed about restaurant in the last year. I'm sure there's a very long thread for it in the Food Court. It comes pretty highly recommended, though some feel it's overpriced.

I feel stupid for not knowing about BTT and can honestly say I had never heard of it until reading that article in the Gazette. I gotta get out more often.

G.Walker
08-12-2010, 08:04 AM
So after looking at the winners and catergories there was one that piqued my interest " Big Truck Tacos ". I visited their website and was a little confused about the concept, meaning was there just the truck where you got your food or was there an actual restaurant you could dine in at. The photos on their website show mainly the truck and people lined up to order so I called and spoke to a manager and she assured me that they had a dine in location on NW 23 st. I was pretty impressed to see a photo of the two owners with our native son Skip Bayless and if you read their " about us " info you will learn that they both have quite the culinary credentials. Has anybody tried this place out yet and if so would you recommend eating there ?

Big Truck Tacos has a dine in location, and also expanded and will be adding a second dine in location. Moreover, they do have a truck that they take out at night, until like 2am, and during lunch time, during the week, they take the truck to major locations like Shepherd Mall, Hospitals, etc...Their food is really good, and the prices are reasonable. I think that the breakfast burritos are the best thing they have. Try a loaded breakfast burrito, with eggs, ham, cheese, and pico, its the best! Big ups to Big Truck Tacos!

proud2Bsooner
08-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Big Truck is no Tacos San Pedro. Sushi Neko is no Sushi Hayashi. And I still like Chelino's on S. Grand and Walker for overall Mexican---if you know how to order something besides an enchilada dinner, unlike the general Okie. But it looks like the poll is designed for the general Okie.

urbanity
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Hey, we get ya. We had to take out "Best Drag Show" because people kept voting for State Fair Speedway. The readers vote, and we just publish the results. We don't edit it, and that's what gives this real readers' poll its legitimacy. (Although we definitely have our opinions as a staff, too.) Just make sure you and your friends keep voting — that's how we get the really good ones in the Top 5 each year.

This thread has given us some ideas for next year as far as adding, deleting and clarifying some categories, so thanks for the input!

kevinpate
08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
... The readers vote, and we just publish the results. We don't edit it, and that's what gives this real readers' poll its legitimacy. (Although we definitely have our opinions as a staff, too.) Just make sure you and your friends keep voting — that's how we get the really good ones in the Top 5 each year. ...

Taking you at your word, it seems to me your readership, at least the willing to make time to vote subset, has changed markedly over the years.

I did not used to scratch my noggin' or mutter 'what the ...' nearly as often as I have in the last couple of years. Then again, maybe it's just me getting older.

BG918
08-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Java dave's has some of the worst coffee around. I would vote for Coffee Slingers.

urbanity
08-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Random fact: Toby Keith won two awards in 2004, including Best Local Singer Or Band.

earlywinegareth
08-12-2010, 12:29 PM
It's a popularity contest, no more no less. What is most popular may not be the best out there. Is there such a person as a real live food critic in OKC?

I will say I agree that Ted's is best Mexican. I ate at the southside location last week and the food, service, and atmosphere were incredible.

jbrown84
08-12-2010, 01:28 PM
It's a popularity contest, no more no less.

Yeah but in the past, the Gazette's readers have shown a more refined taste than this.

BDK
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
They should put out a companion "editor's choice" list or something.

Spartan
08-12-2010, 08:49 PM

Not true. I wanted Grill on the Hill to win best southside restaurant. Unfortunately, it and a million other awards went to Cattlemen's. Cattlemen's deserves an award every year, but so does Grill on the Hill--and they do frequently place ads.

I think the Gazette may need to take some editorial responsibility for their rankings in the future.

dankrutka
08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Big Truck is no Tacos San Pedro. Sushi Neko is no Sushi Hayashi. And I still like Chelino's on S. Grand and Walker for overall Mexican---if you know how to order something besides an enchilada dinner, unlike the general Okie. But it looks like the poll is designed for the general Okie.

If only we could all be like you instead of just "general Okies." It must be terrible for you to be around us commoners...

BTW, thanks for bringing Okie back as a negative term. It's been a while.

u50254082
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Most will not agree, but I think Falcone's is some of the best NYC-style Italian in OKC. Then again, what other options are there besides Sbarro and some little mom and pop shops...

Larry OKC
08-12-2010, 09:52 PM
Hey, we get ya. We had to take out "Best Drag Show" because people kept voting for State Fair Speedway. The readers vote, and we just publish the results. ...

Thats freakin' hilarious...but shouldn't be a problem any more since they approved the bid to demolish it (may already be gone).

Larry OKC
08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Most will not agree, but I think Falcone's is some of the best NYC-style Italian in OKC. Then again, what other options are there besides Sbarro and some little mom and pop shops...

If that is representative of NYC style Italian, you can keep it. Had always heard raves about NY style and shortly after they opened on N. May and had the feature in the Oklahoman, I went by to try them out. The decor and atmosphere was great (loved the Old school Gangster/Godfather movie posters and Sinatra playing in the background...all very kewl. The food however wasn't the worst meal I have ever had but it was definitely underwhelming.

Spartan
08-12-2010, 10:41 PM
If only we could all be like you instead of just "general Okies." It must be terrible for you to be around us commoners...

BTW, thanks for bringing Okie back as a negative term. It's been a while.

I don't know, hate to come off snooty or anything, but a lot of us used to relish the Gazette because it was a great place to discover somewhere quirky and different. It was the rag of the inner city. Now it's lost that appeal and allure to many of us, especially in the Best of OKC..

jbrown84
08-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Quality is a bit watered down at the other locations, but the pizza at the original Falcone's is amazing.

I have only seen the online list, which didn't show the runners up. I'll have to check that out in the paper version. I'm hoping some more adventurous choices made 2nd place at least.

dankrutka
08-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I don't know, hate to come off snooty or anything, but a lot of us used to relish the Gazette because it was a great place to discover somewhere quirky and different. It was the rag of the inner city. Now it's lost that appeal and allure to many of us, especially in the Best of OKC..

I understand this. I appreciate the Gazette because it's different. It was just that the comments came off as a little too smug. While I am disappointed in some of the places that won I understand that it's likely that people voted for the most well known (i.e. There are like 6 Louie's in the metro so it's gonna be better known than a mom and pop place with one location) place instead of the highest quality place... In the end, it's not that big of a deal. Best of OKC is just for fun and still brings recognition to lots of local businesses...

urbanity
08-13-2010, 07:50 AM
If you’ve only read the online list, you should pick up a copy of the issue and read it.

wsucougz
08-13-2010, 08:15 AM

I'm finding that the pizza at Hobbie's Hoagies on Walker is a better nyc style pizza than Falcone's.

Platemaker
08-13-2010, 08:42 AM
opps

Platemaker
08-13-2010, 08:43 AM
They should put out a companion "editor's choice" list or something.

Brilliant idea!

fuzzytoad
08-13-2010, 08:52 AM
I'm finding that the pizza at Hobbie's Hoagies on Walker is a better nyc style pizza than Falcone's.

agreed, but Hobbie's Hoagies defied the city council by publicly supporting "Not This Maps", which is probably why they weren't even listed as a choice in the voting...

BDK
08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
agreed, but Hobbie's Hoagies defied the city council by publicly supporting "Not This Maps", which is probably why they weren't even listed as a choice in the voting...

Sounds like you're joking, but it's hard to interpret tone through text.

The five choices in the run-off were determined by an earlier write-in ballot.

fuzzytoad
08-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Sounds like you're joking, but it's hard to interpret tone through text.

The five choices in the run-off were determined by an earlier write-in ballot.

I'm not, and yes I know that, I participated in the write-in ballot.. I posted my ballot on this forum for all to see: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=22163

Spartan
08-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Fuzzytoad is always joking. Or we hope.

dismayed
08-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Let's face it, the average person either doesn't get out that much or just has bad taste. Somebody has to say it, you're all thinking it. The results are probably about right.

Urbanity, I love your paper. I have a hardcopy in the other room. But anyway, how about a Best of OKC as rated by culinary perfectionists, artists, etc. one of these years? I'd be really interested in that.

dismayed
08-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Wait! What about a "Readers Choice..." followed by "Critics Choice..." next year? It'd be interesting to see what the average person thinks is the best whatever, as compared with someone whose career is whatever area is being scored.

yessir69
08-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I agree on the editor's choice concept. There are plenty of people at the paper that review restaurants. I'm fairly sure they have tried a better variety of places than me. I would be interested to see what they think individually or as a panel.

Jersey Boss
08-13-2010, 03:34 PM
Wasn't a food critic/paper sued once from a review about a Norman restaurant?

Bigrayok
08-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I do not know about a Norman restaurant, but I believe Phil Romano who founded Fuddrucker's, Romano's Macoroni Grill, Rudy's BBQ, and a number of other restaurants sued a reporter and the Dallas Morning News a few years ago for a review of a restaurant he opened in Dallas named Ill Mulino. He did not win the case I believe, and Ill Mulino ended up closing.

I often wonder if the winners of the Oklahoman and Gazette polls are the result of "ballot box stuffers" that are employees, customers, or their friends. I do not put much stock in polls or what critics have to say. I have seen movies that were highly critically acclaimed that were terrible and movies that were panned that were great. Same with restaurants. Some confuse trendy with good. I like to make up my own mind, but I do like good suggestions.

Bigray in Ok

kevinpate
08-13-2010, 05:11 PM
... I often wonder if the winners of the Oklahoman and Gazette polls are the result of "ballot box stuffers" that are employees, customers, or their friends. ...

I would not bet against the thought, except to add owners to the list of potential suspects. And it may not be illicit at all. If an establishment decides winning is one of those stage whispered Biden/Obama moments, then actively encouraging the participation of customers, family and friends could tip a scale in any given category.

After all, think how few vote in real govt. elections, and there is very active campaigning going on there. Ruling a ballot box for a foodie haus contest oughta be a snap by comparison (and woyuld certainly expain more than a few of the results.)

ljbab728
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I agree. Being a great restaurant means different things to different people. For some it's just the ambiance and experience. For some it's gourment food. For some it's great down-home cooking. For some it's all. No restaurant can be all things to all people and that's why we have more than one kind and some succeed while some don't.

ljbab728
08-13-2010, 11:00 PM
I would not bet against the thought, except to add owners to the list of potential suspects. And it may not be illicit at all. If an establishment decides winning is one of those stage whispered Biden/Obama moments, then actively encouraging the participation of customers, family and friends could tip a scale in any given category.

After all, think how few vote in real govt. elections, and there is very active campaigning going on there. Ruling a ballot box for a foodie haus contest oughta be a snap by comparison (and woyuld certainly expain more than a few of the results.)

If I was an owner of a restaurant involved in voting in one of these polls, I would be doing everything I could to gather votes for myself. It would mean money in my pocket, so why not?

flintysooner
08-14-2010, 05:42 AM
If I was an owner of a restaurant involved in voting in one of these polls, I would be doing everything I could to gather votes for myself. It would mean money in my pocket, so why not?Yes and it rather helps the Gazette by getting people to pay attention to it who otherwise never would.

Urban Pioneer
08-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Java dave's has some of the worst coffee around. I would vote for Coffee Slingers.

I totally agree. But I guess it depends on your definition of "Coffee."

I went on an expedition while in San Francisco to find the best Macchiato. I went where the Coffee mags raved and the locals recommended. With complete confidence I can say that Coffee Slingers was not surpassed, even in San Francisco. It is absolutely shocking that we have a local coffee bar of that caliber. They know what they are doing.

But my girlfriend still prefers the Snickerdoodle at Java Daves. lol

Spartan
08-14-2010, 02:34 PM
What about Seattle?

JerzeeGrlinOKC
08-14-2010, 05:16 PM
What about Seattle?

Sounds like a fun and highly caffeinated challenge! I'm going to go book my tickets right now. :tiphat:

On another note, I totally agree that many of the best of picks in the OKG were very hum-drum. So not representative of all the great restaurants this city has to offer. And I did nominate and vote for Coffee Slingers as best coffee :cool18:

Urban Pioneer
08-15-2010, 01:04 AM
What about Seattle?

If I had a real reason to go to Seattle, then I guess that would be the "Ultimate" challenge to Slingers. But beating out San Francisco "IMO", is pretty darn impressive.

Edmond Earl
08-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Any list that has Cattlemens as best steak is not even a list worth discussing. Any person with a brain God gave a chicken knows this to be a total joke. Who are the people that vote for these things.

MikeOKC
08-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Nope, not even close.

This honor would go to the taco truck:woowoo:, it doesn't have an official name, the taco truck just east of Ann Arbor and NW 10th. It sits on the north side of the road. Great mexican food there, not tex-mex, MEXICAN food. Place is run by a mexican staff. This place seems to always have a crowd in front of it. Great tacos.

East of Ann Arbor on tenth street? Do they serve bullets on the side? That little strip is one dangerous area. Hefner Division handles the calls there now and they can hardly keep up. The best thing that could happen is what they're doing in parts of Houston - take those apartments and RAZE them. Maybe offer a cheap bus ticket somewhere far away.