View Full Version : Dog Grooming

amandagall5
08-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Does anyone groom their own dogs? I have a 7 year old Westie and am thinking about trying to groom him myself since his regular groomer stopped working. I know there are plenty of places I could take him but he is a little difficult sometimes so I thought of trying it myself. Any tips about what to use etc? I'm not expecting to produce a very professional look but would like him to look fairly neat and tidy.

PennyQuilts
08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't groom my samoyeds but friends who do insist that getting a table is key because it gets the dogs to settle down and not fight you while you trim them up. I think they are afraid they'll fall off or something. I wonder if there are some videos on Youtube that could give you some grooming tips.

johnnybravo25
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
i wash my own dog his a sheltiz.. not to hard, just brush the dog hair first, than wet and shampoo, wait 5 minuites, and rinse really good, i use the oatmeal shampoo, work good for the dog than towel dry, and i let him run around the yard to dry, if its cold i use blow dryer on him. i have him chained to a post while i clean him. my 4 year old daughter enjoys washing him too. once a week i use spray conditioner and brush it in, with a good dog brush.