View Full Version : My dachshund is acting differently after DHLP-PV and Rabies shot.

andimthomas
08-10-2010, 06:12 AM
I took my two year old dachshund to the vet yesterday and she got a DHLP-PV and Rabies shot. When she got home she started acting a little lethargic and slow. Later that night she cried and yelped when we touched her around her front legs- the area the vet injected her. This morning she let out a cry right when I touched her. Her neck might look a little swollen. She is moving incredibly slow and it looks as if it hurts her when she moves. She's laying next to me right now. I would take her to the emergency vet but she's already been last month and it costed quite a bit. Our vet opens at eight so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas of what is wrong with her before we leave.

Thanks.

Mr T
08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm sorry about your little doggie. I hope she will be fine. Please report back?

MsDarkstar
08-10-2010, 08:35 AM
It's pretty common for animals to be a little lethargic & sore after getting their vaccinations; sometimes they'll even run a little fever. I'd give the vet a call to get a little reassurance just to be on the safe side, but otherwise I'd just make your baby comfortable & give her a few days to recover. Keep us updated!

PennyQuilts
08-10-2010, 09:40 AM
She is probably fine but would you let us know how she is doing?

andimthomas
08-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks for your concern, everyone. A different doctor at the same office examined her today and said two vaccinations in one day was too much for her small body. She sent us home with three doses of pain medication and put her on bed rest. Apparently this is common for small dogs. I don't know why the other doctor that gave her the vaccinations didn't take that into account though.

Mr T
08-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm glad she is OK!

PennyQuilts
08-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks for letting us know - I hope she is more comfortable, now.

andimthomas
08-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Thank you everyone for your help and concern. She's feeling a lot better, thanks to the meds.

:smile: