View Full Version : Summer Heat Fact or Fiction

rondvu
08-09-2010, 10:35 AM
With it being so hot and dry the last few weeks, my neighbors have stated watering the foundations of their homes. Many also leave the garage door and the folding attic door open to relieve heat in the garage and attic. Are these things you really necessary or are they some fictitious story that has been around for years?

FritterGirl
08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Can't say anything about watering the foundation, but leaving the garage door open about 8" to a foot can alleviate some heat in that your garage ceases to become a heat trap because there is some circulation of air when the garage door is cracked open. Same goes for the attic door. Don't know about the others.

Another trick, if you're willing to try it: put your windshield sun reflector (especially if you have the "foiled" kind) on the OUTSIDE of your vehicle. While still somewhat effective on the inside (it does keep areas shaded) the "heat" reflected off of the reflector is just bouncing straight into your windshield, but staying in the car. Putting it on the outside of the car reflects the heat away from the car entirely, resulting in a greater cooldown. It's not fool-proof, but it works.

MadMonk
08-09-2010, 11:41 AM
I think the watering of the foundation would be related to the way clay soil can dry out and shrink, causing the foundation to sink, leading to cracks in your foundation and walls.

OKC@heart
08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I think the watering of the foundation would be related to the way clay soil can dry out and shrink, causing the foundation to sink, leading to cracks in your foundation and walls.

You are absolutely right Madmonk, that is all that they are trying to do is to prevent differntial shrinkage. Keeping it watered around the perimeter does aid in preventing the loss of water from under the foundation that once gone could lead to the cracking of areas of the foundation. Most of which are not covered on many homeowners policies anymore. The repairs can be very expensive.