View Full Version : What restaurants do you not "get"?

soonerfangirl
08-07-2010, 12:58 PM
What makes you say, "I just don't get it"?

What is worth the hype and which ones (in your opinion) don't deserve the publicity?

Some of my local favs are Big Truck, Rococo, Cool Greens, Republic, Iguana, The Wedge, Cafe Antigua, and Picasso on Paseo

I don't get excited about Teds, Sara Sara, Cattlemens, Leos, Ingrids, Falcones, or the Rock Cafe (in Stroud, but I still don't understand how it became popular)

BBatesokc
08-07-2010, 01:19 PM
The hot spots I've tried and don't get the hype are....... Stellas, Teds, Cattlemens, Sara Sara, Chelino's, Iguana, 105 Degrees, Cool Greens, Bolero's, Eischen's, Cafe do Brasil, Falcones and Flattire.

The ones worth the hype are... Rococo, Republic, Paseo Grill, Big Truck Taco, Red Prime, Cheevers, Signature Grill, Cafe 501, Red Cup, In the Raw and probably a few more I'm forgetting right now.

oneforone
08-07-2010, 01:21 PM
To be honest.... I don't get excited about places to eat. I go to whatever is nearby and fits in the price range of my budget. Sometimes it's a chain restaurant, sometimes it is a local place that everybody raves about. For instance, I Love Jack In The Box. However, I am going to drive to Norman or Moore to eat there. I am going to patiently wait for the one in Midwest City to open and be clear of the long lines. I refuse to drive all over metro when I can have a good meal pretty much anywhere.

I still don't get the cupcake craze. I am not going to pay $3-$5 for one cupcake when I can pick up a dozen or more at local grocery store or bakery for the same price. I don't care how awesome something tastes value always come first. It is kind of like the Starbucks craze of the last decade. Starbucks was charging insane prices for their coffee and people lined up to pay it because they want be a part of the in crowd. Now every food outlet and convienience store sells the stuff for next to nothing.

bluedogok
08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
We pretty much always go to Leo's and Ted's when we are in town and mix in a few other places that we don't have in Austin like Cajun Kitchen (or whatever they call it now) or Chuck House. I grew up going to Leo's and my wife loves Ted's, it reminds her of the type of food her mother made growing up in West Texas. It is consistent and a value for all they give you, down here they charge you for everything in most Mexican places here.

As far as "value eating", it just isn't for me if I am "dining out". it may be fine for lunch during the week or a highway stop while traveling somewhere but when I go eat I want something good and tasty and am willing to pay a premium for that food. To me there may be "good food" almost anywhere but that is not what I am looking for....just different priorities and tastes, that's what makes us different and really makes opinions about restaurants fairly invalid. There are places that I know people rave about that I never "got" as well, especially down here.

jbkrems
08-08-2010, 07:21 AM
Definitely 105 degrees I do not get.

Worth the publicity? Republic; Signature Grill; Red Prime; maybe others.

calitook
08-08-2010, 07:24 AM
I agree on Ted's- gross!
Deep Fork- I didn't dislike it, but I didn't see what the big whoop was.
We've kind of lowered our expectations on restaurants because places that people rave about we just think are somewhat meh.

I'd rather go to Cafe 7 and know that we can get dinner for two and a couple of drinks for under 30 bucks and the quality is consistent.

icemncmth
08-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't get Ted's...The food is just OK..
Iguana ...service just plain sucks. The last time I was there I ordered a beer and they brought it about the time I was finishing my meal.
Anyplace that sells a 10 dollar burger. It is a burger! I buy brisket and grind it myself and make a great burger, better than anything you can buy.
I don't get BBQ joints that don't smell like smoke. If it isn't smoked it isn't BBQ and there are several places in town like this.
CoolGreens....I get the concept but the food is too expensive for what it is.
105 degrees...Really! Raw food and way too expensive. I wonder how long this trend will last.

flintysooner
08-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I go to Ted's for The Best Mexican Tacos.

As I think about it most places I patronize there are a couple of menu selections that keep me coming back.

JayhawkTransplant
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't "get" a lot of the Mexican restaurants here. My coworkers took me to Chelinos for my first day of work here, and it was almost depressing to me. They were all excited to show me a restaurant where you get so much "free stuff!"--the watery cheese and salsa, the tortillas, and the "garnish" (or whatever it's called). I've noticed a lot of places have that kind of stuff...I'm sorry, I don't care how much free stuff you throw on the table before I order, if it's gross, I'm not impressed.

Ted's is okay...my favorite places so far for tacos are Iguana and Big Truck.

Lots of my friends also love Cafe Seven. I'm not a huge fan. Also Earl's.

okyeah
08-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Places I don't "get": Saturn Grill, Iguana, Victoria's (in Norman), Jack in the Box, Braum's, Italia Express, Cafe 7, Golden Palace

Places I like: Tarahumara's, El Pollo Chulo, Flip's, Iron Star, Swadley's, Cafe Antigua, Ingrid's

everything based purely on the taste of the food, not service

corwin1968
08-09-2010, 11:24 AM
I don't get Ted's. Their salsas are very good (my wife loves the Atomic) and their service is outstanding but their food way overpriced and mediocre at best. We ordered fajitas last time we were there and they were not good. I look at it as just another trendy place. The crowds that converge there just completely boggle my mind. That building was much better utilized as a Bellini's.

If people want good tacos they should try Tacos San Pedro on SW 44th, next door to the bowling alley and just west of Penn. There are a lot of other small, hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints on 44th and 29th but I have only tried a handful. I'm fortunate to work in this area and their really is nothing comparable in the NW OKC/Edmond area where I live.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
08-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Hype I don't get: Chick Fil A, Jack in the Box, or rather any new fast food place with lines around the corner when they open for the first time in an area, Ted's, Chelino's, Abuelo's, Zio's, Deep Fork, McNellie's (well ok I like them for drinks, but not food), Fro-yo places, Cafe Nova, Sushi Neko, Hideaway Pizza, Eischens, Italia Express

Hype I do get: Cheevers, The Wedge, Saturn Grill, Republic, 1492, Red Prime, 105 Degrees, Big Truck Tacos, Falcone's (for the food, but who may fall to the hype I don't get if service continues to stink), Humble Pie, Ingrid's
'
Places that don't receive hype which should: Tokyo Sushi, Zarate's, Med Deli, Cuppies and Joe, Prohibition Room, Midtown Deli, Hobby's Hoagies

Bostonfan
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't get Big Truck Tacos. Why people stand in line to pay $3.00 for a little taco is beyond me. I don't get Ted's either. Ted's is average at best. I've never understood the Chick Fil A hype. I feel like I get ripped off everytime I go. Even their breakfast meals are getting smaller and smaller.

Two that come to mind that I do get is Abuelo's (great flavor, great service, great atmosphere, great prices) and Cattlemens.

OKCMallen
08-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I need to go back a couple more times before forming my final opinion, but Pachinko Parlor might be one of my "don't gets."

BBatesokc
08-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I don't get Big Truck Tacos. Why people stand in line to pay $3.00 for a little taco is beyond me.

Regardless if I 'get' or 'don't get' an establishment, I will never stand in line or wait longer than 10/15 minutes to place my order. I don't care how good the food is. If I'm going to a nice popular sit down place we won't even wait more than 20 minutes for a table. Too many choices to sit around and wait at any one particular place.

Millie
08-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Cheevers. Twice was more than enough for me. I've also tried most of the menu at Earl's and can't out what people see in that place either.

corwin1968
08-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Regardless if I 'get' or 'don't get' an establishment, I will never stand in line or wait longer than 10/15 minutes to place my order. I don't care how good the food is. If I'm going to a nice popular sit down place we won't even wait more than 20 minutes for a table. Too many choices to sit around and wait at any one particular place.

I won't wait at all. On the rare occasions that we decided to eat at Ted's, at least half the time I never even pulled into the parking lot because we could tell it was busy. We've gotten there at 11:15 in the morning and it's already packed!

jbrown84
08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't get they hype/love for:

Tarahumara's
Ted's
Flattire Burgers

alan
08-14-2010, 09:21 AM
i don't understand why Chili's is so busy. bleech.

and why does anyone go to starbucks anymore? if i wanted attitude and bad coffee, i'd go to a truck stop.

flintysooner
08-14-2010, 11:17 AM

and why does anyone go to starbucks anymore? if i wanted attitude and bad coffee, i'd go to a truck stop.I like Chili's although I do not like very many of the menu items. I love my Starbucks to the point where I'd just as soon not drink coffee if I can't get my usual. On the other hand I've been to a number of Starbucks that are terrible.

kevinpate
08-14-2010, 11:57 AM

and why does anyone go to starbucks anymore? if i wanted attitude and bad coffee, i'd go to a truck stop.

For the same reason there are not more stampedes at slaughter houses. Follow another, often. Even if the view ain't all that spectacular, it takes little thought.

bradzilla
08-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Wow- I've never seen the hype behind chilis, texas road house, mcdonalds (only good thing i can say is you know exactly what your food will taste like if you are traveling anywhere across the country) teds, chelinos, starbucks (or any coffee that cost over a buck) , taco bell, and jack in the box.

Debzkidz
08-17-2010, 08:10 AM
I don't get Ted's either. Food is ok at best and way overpriced. Besides I just hate the way the entire entrance area at the Edmond location smells like bathroom air freshener.
Chelinos - yuk!
Hideaway Pizza - bland!
Buffalo Wild Wings, or any other kind of wing place. Way overpriced for what you get.

BBatesokc
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I so forgot Buffalo Wild Wings. My wife and I always shake our head when we pass one by and its packed. We've eaten at them three different times and each time we've thought it was crap. I'd much rather buy the tequila lime ones from Sam's and make them at home.

metro
08-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I don't get the hype about Leo's or Cattlemen's. Leo's is just nasty and no flavor (dozens of BBQ places with better fare). And Cattleman's, well that place died a decade or more ago, it only lives on nostalgia. The food is mediocre at best and their steaks don't even come close to a steak at Red Prime or The Ranch or other places for that matter. I could get a better steak at some bland chain restaurant. It sickens me how people that don't get out much continue to insist their guests must eat a "great steak" at Cattlemans. That is a poor reflection of our city both culinary talent and elsewise. Now if you're taking them for nostalgia that is completely different, but I hear too often people say their steaks are the best and that just doesn't serve OKC well on the culinary scene.

onthestrip
08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Dont get:
Big Truck Tacos, its as if people only had taco bell before. There are many other great real taco places at half the price.
Cattlemans, steaks just dont compare to others. Then again, they dont serve prime beef.
Cheevers, of all of good egg groups restaurants this is the one I like and frequent the least. No meal Ive ever had there has left me awed. Good but not great.
Irmas, a normal burger IMO.
Iguana, I dont get how a restaurant is so popular with such pathetic service
Deep Fork Grill, ehh. Double ehh for their brunch.
Cheesecake Factory, too big of a menu and too big of portions of average food
Classen Grill, doesnt seem to be that good anymore, especially after they changed their hash browns. Best fresh squeezed OJ though
Frozen Yogurt places, give me something with sugar and real cream in it.

Places I get:
Los Comales, great authentic, cheap tacos
Republic, finaly, good food and good TVs
Iron Starr, the side dishes alone make it great
Cafe 501, everything always tastes good
Hideaway, overall best pizza in OK. Its also the best reheated pizza ever
Pearls, good seafood and plenty of variety. Best app menu
Red Rock, always consistently good. Great atmosphere too
Cafe do Brazil, the picanha steak and the greens, rice, and beans that come with it are awesome
Sushi Neko, good sushi, good atmosphere
The Lobby Bar, great food (best grilled cheese) at good prices. Nice spot if you arent wanting a full meal
Pho Lien Hoa, its satisfying and filling all for a low price. Best spring rolls too.

And I dont get the hate for Teds. Though I havent eaten there in close to a year its still good and the service is quick. Real Mexican? Of course not but the food they put out is filling and tasty. For what it is, they do a good job of it.

OKCMallen
08-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Ooo, Red Rocks makes my list of "don't get". It was pricey, which I don't typically mind sometimes, but felt like a slightly nicer Chilis. If it were on NW EXP, it would be exactly comparable to Charlestons, but not as good. I ought to go back one more time before committing to an opinion though.

BBatesokc
08-17-2010, 02:05 PM
We need to do an official "Best Of OKCtalk."

metro
08-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Ooo, Red Rocks makes my list of "don't get". It was pricey, which I don't typically mind sometimes, but felt like a slightly nicer Chilis. If it were on NW EXP, it would be exactly comparable to Charlestons, but not as good. I ought to go back one more time before committing to an opinion though.

While we're at it, let's add every restaurant on the Lake and all chain restaurants on NW Expressway to the list...

nik4411
08-17-2010, 02:15 PM
i don't get big truck tacos. the place sucks. i can't believe people will wait that long to eat that crap. i make waaaaaay better tacos at home.

Easy180
08-17-2010, 02:52 PM

If u do try the meatloaf...Little spicy and definitely their best dish

BBatesokc
08-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Oh, I sooooo get Big Truck Taco. Now, I won't wait more than 10 minutes or so (I usually call it in "to go" at lunch and then eat at the picnic tables - you avoid the lines and the wait).

We went last night as a matter of fact......
http://a.imageshack.us/img836/41/picture47n.png

Had two Guardians and the 5th Amendment.

As for Red Rock.... Love the atmosphere (great people watching on Thursday and Friday evenings) and the service has always been good. I agree though, the meatloaf is the only spectacular thing I've tried so far.

Dustin
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Ya... Usually the people who put down BTT, have never been.

Stew
08-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I've eaten at Big Truck Taco twice. It was nothing special. I guess I just don't get it.

BBatesokc
08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
I've eaten at Big Truck Taco twice. It was nothing special. I guess I just don't get it.

May be what you're ordering. I've tried literally everything and about 60% of their menu I don't care for.

Same with 1492. If you go and order the usual Oklahoma Mexican food staples it can be disappointing but we discovered the Tequitos De El Cameron (sp) and love it.

jstanthrnme
08-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh, I sooooo get Big Truck Taco. Now, I won't wait more than 10 minutes or so (I usually call it in "to go" at lunch and then eat at the picnic tables - you avoid the lines and the wait).

We went last night as a matter of fact......
http://a.imageshack.us/img836/41/picture47n.png

Had two Guardians and the 5th Amendment.

As for Red Rock.... Love the atmosphere (great people watching on Thursday and Friday evenings) and the service has always been good. I agree though, the meatloaf is the only spectacular thing I've tried so far.

The problem is that what is in that picture costs almost $10. I don't get it.

BBatesokc
08-18-2010, 05:27 AM

What's to get? It's really good food, also came with chips and salsa and it filled my wife and I up. $10 for two good meals is a steal. You can pay that for two people at McDonald's. Sure I can get $1.89 tacos off SW 29 but IMO they just are not as flavorful.

chase2324
08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Parchinko Parlor is a new sushi place by Iguana grill that is really unique and different...they have half sushi mon - sat 4pm-6pm...enjoy!

onthestrip
08-18-2010, 11:21 AM
What's to get? It's really good food, also came with chips and salsa and it filled my wife and I up. $10 for two good meals is a steal. You can pay that for two people at McDonald's. Sure I can get $1.89 tacos off SW 29 but IMO they just are not as flavorful.

And in the Red Prime thread you say you and your wife will split the fixed price meal with another side. When you split one meal with your wife anyplace will be reasonably priced. Im pretty sure most people dont have as small as an appetite as you.

BBatesokc
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM
And in the Red Prime thread you say you and your wife will split the fixed price meal with another side. When you split one meal with your wife anyplace will be reasonably priced. Im pretty sure most people dont have as small as an appetite as you.

That probably has more to do with Oklahoma's obesity rate. Appetite is often a "learned" or "conditioned" response to food. You might be surprised what a real portion size should be. Also, most of the couples we go out to eat with split entrees.

OKCMallen
08-18-2010, 03:54 PM
That probably has more to do with Oklahoma's obesity rate. Appetite is often a "learned" or "conditioned" response to food. You might be surprised what a real portion size should be. Also, most of the couples we go out to eat with split entrees.

Yep. The appropriate serving size of meat is about a deck of cards. What's that, maybe 5 oz or so?

bluedogok
08-18-2010, 09:03 PM
That is a lot of food for $10.00, sure you could get 10 tacos at Taco Mayo (I guess they are still about that) but there is no comparison in food quality or quantity. I ate at Taco Mayo once, the day that I moved into the dorms at OU, it was so bad that I never ate there again. I place a much higher value on what I perceive as quality over sheer quantity. I eat much less than I used to so I rarely eat at buffets or mass quantity meals.

kevinpate
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Yep. The appropriate serving size of meat is about a deck of cards. What's that, maybe 5 oz or so?

About 3.5, more if it's really dense I suppose.
Speaking only for myself, I have no issues at all with eating 4+ servings of meat in one sitting if it is prepared well. To each their own

BBatesokc
08-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Speaking only for myself, I have no issues at all with eating 4+ servings of meat in one sitting if it is prepared well. To each their own

I can sooooooooo do that too. But I was also 50 pounds heavier when I made the decision to stop doing that just because I could. But man, what I wouldn't give to have the metabolism I had when I was a teenager!

JayhawkTransplant
08-19-2010, 07:58 PM

So what restaurants do you eat at that you get more for your money and taste great? Enlighten us.

I hear the same arguments from my friends...we go out to eat lunch on Fridays, and they invariably complain about the price of stuff, even if they picked the restaurant. It seems like they expect to get a huge meal and a drink for $5. I remember being able to do that 10 years ago (when I was young and ate less AND things cost less), but not so much anymore. I can't even eat at Sonic for less than $5 most of the time.

jstanthrnme
08-19-2010, 10:05 PM
So what restaurants do you eat at that you get more for your money and taste great? Enlighten us.

THE best deal in OKC food is at Saigon Baguette. I absolutely love their sandwiches (the #3 is my favorite) and they cost $2.

OKCMallen
08-20-2010, 07:42 AM

I don't have a problem with it either. I just think we generally, as a local popluation, have inflated ideas of how much a "serving" is and should be.

kevinpate
08-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I can sooooooooo do that too. But I was also 50 pounds heavier when I made the decision to stop doing that just because I could. But man, what I wouldn't give to have the metabolism I had when I was a teenager!

I hear ya, and even though I realize there are offer forms of therapy, Okie sized servings are how I grieve the loss of my metabolism. sniff, it was so young when it passed, but I've just never really gotten over it.

Roadhawg
08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Hard to go wrong with Waffle House :tiphat:

bornhere
09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm okay with Big Truck Tacos. What I don't 'get' is the almost religious fervor some people have about it.

green meanie
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Parchinko Parlor is a new sushi place by Iguana grill that is really unique and different...they have half sushi mon - sat 4pm-6pm...enjoy!

I guess I'll try this place when they actually get a pachinko machine...

foodiefan
09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm okay with Big Truck Tacos. What I don't 'get' is the almost religious fervor some people have about it.

Some people have that same "fervor" about Ted's. . . I don't, but I do love BTT and think their food is great and it's just a fun/different place.

ddavidson8
09-03-2010, 06:56 AM

I don't buy into that line of thought. I've tried for years to lose weight by eyeballing portion size. It just results in me starving and binging. I'm using an application on my iPhone that counts calories according to my daily weight. I've lost 33 pounds since spring break and I can eat about 6 decks of cards worth of chicken a meal. Beef is a little higher in calories, but you can still eat it. I weigh my portions on a home scale. You'd be surprised how FEW calories are in meats.

corwin1968
10-15-2010, 12:10 PM
I finally got to try Big Truck Tacos and I must say that I was majorly unimpressed! I'd rate the tacos as one step above Taco Bell's new street style tacos, which isn't saying much. I can't even begin to compare them to the authentic tacos I eat on the southwest side at Tacos San Pedro.

GoOKC1991
04-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Old thread but great discussion

Get:
Eischens
Red Prime
Boulevard
In The Raw
KD's
Ted's
Garage

Don't get: