View Full Version : David Holt leaving job as mayor’s chief of staff for new gig as state senator

urbanity
08-04-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.okgazette.com/article/08-04-2010/David_Holt_is_leaving_his_job_as_the_mayor_s_chief _of_staff_for_a_new_gig_as_a_state_senator_in_Nove mber.aspx

Midtowner
08-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Congrats to him. I supported him during his campaign. He's my state senator now. He's an extremely sharp and savvy guy. Believe me--he's going to be a major player in Oklahoma politics for years to come.

Easy180
08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Moderate or hardcore mid?

Midtowner
08-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Moderate or hardcore mid?

He's a chamber of commerce conservative. He'll probably be a champion for things like tort reform and privatizing Compsource. Stuff I'll generally be against. That's what we get in the 30th. Like Glenn Coffee, but IMHO, a hell of a lot smarter and younger.

Easy180
08-04-2010, 06:22 PM
He's a chamber of commerce conservative. He'll probably be a champion for things like tort reform and privatizing Compsource. Stuff I'll generally be against. That's what we get in the 30th. Like Glenn Coffee, but IMHO, a hell of a lot smarter and younger.

I'm fine with the younger and smarter part...perfect combo imo

Larry OKC
08-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I will give him this, he seems to have the politician part down (don't answer the question asked, answer questions that weren't asked, if appearing to address the question asked, make sure it is full of spin, half-truths and in some cases out right lies).

He really shouldn't be concerned about the $50K/year pay cut (he can make up some of that if he is in a leadership position). He will have plenty of time to find another part time job to make up the difference.

Until just recently our Legislators pay was in the top 10 of full & part time bodies. It is a part time job. They meet for 4 months a year (Feb thru May). They have a 4 day work week (typically meet Mon thru Thurs), that is effectively a 3 day work week (often don't meet before Noon on Monday and adjourn before Noon on Thursday). On the days they do meet, about a 1/3 is for 20 minutes or less. It is a rarity that they meet for a full 8 hours. There is the exception of "deadline" weeks and the final couple of weeks of the session (when they met on Friday). Even then, by law, they have to adjourn before Midnight. (All of this is confirmed in the Permanent Journal of each respective body).

But what about all of the time they spend meeting with constituents and drafting legislation and those Conference Committee meetings?

Am sure some actually do spend some time doing those things but as the Oklahoman has repeatedly pointed out, 90% of Committees NEVER meet. There are Committees that have NO member assigned (House or Senate). There are those that only have one member (House or Senate). And those that have a total of 2 members (1 of each house).

It is a sweet gig if you can get it.

Matt
08-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Dave Holt!!!