View Full Version : OKC episode of "Man vs. Food" to air tonight at 8pm on Travel Channel!

BBatesokc
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
As published in the Oklahoman (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-man-v.-food-episode-airs-tonight/article/3482017?custom_click=headlines_widget).

Check it out and then come back and post in this thread your thoughts of the show. I;ve already set the DVR.

Bigrayok
08-04-2010, 04:01 PM
I eat at both the Edmond location and the downtown location. Dino Smalley and his wife Maria Vitale are nice people and I am glad their places are getting some international exposure. I am wondering if they mention on tonight's show that their son, John Jacob Smalley, made it to the Los Angeles round of American Idol a few years ago. Between Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and Man Versus Food, some locally owned Oklahoma City restaurants are getting some good exposure. I know Nic's business has exploded since it was on DDD. He even gets customers from foreign countries. I bet Adam breaks the record.

Bigray in Ok

BBatesokc
08-04-2010, 07:36 PM
I've eaten at Cattleman's several times. I think its okay to pretty good, but I never got the hype. I have a friend that has me take him there for lunch a few times a year. I can think of several places in the city with a better steak.

Been to Sid's - I really like their burger!

Never been to the catfish place. I see it all the time when I take the exit there, but I've never gone in. Anyone here tried it?

fuzzytoad
08-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I've eaten at Cattleman's several times. I think its okay to pretty good, but I never got the hype. I have a friend that has me take him there for lunch a few times a year. I can think of several places in the city with a better steak.

Cattleman's at lunch and Cattleman's at dinner are two completely different restaurants... But I agree with your overall assessment.. Wish Sante Fe was still around

dmoor82
08-04-2010, 07:50 PM
LOL,Adam said he was heading 30 miles East to El Reno!and also did yall see those Hotties at The steak and catfish place Wow!

Jesseda
08-04-2010, 07:59 PM
yeah what gives, when i go to a catfish joint here in okc, I never see good eye candy (hotties) like they showed on man vs food, good thing i guess, my wife would slap the s**t out of me if she caught me looking...But on the subject, those onion burgers looked really good..

BBatesokc
08-05-2010, 07:46 AM
From The Lost Ogle....
Also, why does every food show and out-of-towner think Cattlemen’s is so neat? I get it, cowboys go there, but other than the novelty of that, it kind of sucks. The place basically serves mayonnaise on its salad and calls it a “house ranch” dressing and their specialty isn’t steak, but fried beef testicles. Screw that. Send me to The Mantle or Red Prime or Cheevers for dinner instead.

FritterGirl
08-05-2010, 10:10 AM
From The Lost Ogle.... I gotta agree with TLO. I had a friend visiting from Australia in town last week. We went to Cattleman's just for the history of the place, and because neither of our food budgets allowed for Red Prime, Boulevard or Mickey Mantles. Really poor choice. Steaks weren't at all up to par with what I've had at one of our other steak places, and in general, it was just a dinky experience. Sorry, I don't get the appeal.

Uncle Slayton
08-05-2010, 10:18 AM
I gotta agree with TLO. I had a friend visiting from Australia in town last week. We went to Cattleman's just for the history of the place, and because neither of our food budgets allowed for Red Prime, Boulevard or Mickey Mantles. Really poor choice. Steaks weren't at all up to par with what I've had at one of our other steak places, and in general, it was just a dinky experience. Sorry, I don't get the appeal.

I never got it either. If I want history and atmosphere, I'll go to a museum or battlefield or something. Cattleman's is dark, overpriced and doesn't live up to the hype. As for price, after spending a week in Salt Lake City, I don't think I'll ever complain about Oklahoma restaurant prices again. Fifty bucks for a t-bone.

BBatesokc
08-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Just an FYI for fans of the Man v. Food show ~ You can follow this link to see some behind the scenes footage (http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Man_V_Food/Episodes_Travel_Guides/OklahomaCity) that wasn't aired on TV.

OKCMallen
08-05-2010, 10:54 AM
The freshness and quality of Cattlemen's steaks are what keep it in the game. I ate there last night, and I've had better. But it's good for what it is. TLO is misplaced, comparing some of the most expensive places in town to a moderately priced place. It beats the hell out of Cimmaron, for instance.

Spartan
08-05-2010, 01:18 PM
From The Lost Ogle....

Oh my god. Talk about someone who has obviously never ordered the T-Bone at Cattlemen's. Or the Ribeye. Or the Filet Mignon. Or any other steak. TLO just lost a ton of respect from me for bashing Cattlemen's.

I always do Cattlemen's for at least one of my birthday meals, and have ever since I've lived in Oklahoma. I have been to Red Prime and Mickey Mantle's before, go to Cheever's occasionally, and those places are obviously nicer and more upscale. But that's not to say that the steak at Cattlemen's isn't damn good, probably among the best in Oklahoma if you can do without Kobe beef or whatever it is they serve at Red Prime. Cattlemen's is the kind of place that would stand on its own and be unique and authentic anywhere in the U.S.--Red Prime or Mickey Mantle's are very cool, and would be one of the nicest restaurants in any city, but just about everywhere has a place or two that's very similar.

onthestrip
08-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I think history is the biggest asset Cattlemens has, not the food. Its a good price for a steak dinner I suppose but its not that great IMO. If you are wanting a decent steak meal for under $25, I suppose Cattlemens would be the place. However, lets not say its the best in OKC. Because that title belongs to The Ranch.

MadMonk
08-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Damnit, I missed it. Hopefully, I'll catch a rerun...

Dustin
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Damnit, I missed it. Hopefully, I'll catch a rerun...

The catfish episode is already up on YouTube. Just search "Man vs. Food Oklahoma City.". Also, they are replaying the episode on Friday. I have it DVR'd. :)

bluedogok
08-05-2010, 06:46 PM
It will be repeated quite a bit, I was going through the list looking at some of the other locales to record and OKC was in a heavy rotation.

MadMonk
08-06-2010, 07:55 AM
The catfish episode is already up on YouTube. Just search "Man vs. Food Oklahoma City.". Also, they are replaying the episode on Friday. I have it DVR'd. :)
Thanks for the info. :tiphat:

fuzzytoad
08-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh my god. Talk about someone who has obviously never ordered the T-Bone at Cattlemen's. Or the Ribeye. Or the Filet Mignon. Or any other steak. TLO just lost a ton of respect from me for bashing Cattlemen's.

Oh my god. Talk about someone who takes a satire site waaaaaay too seriously...

OKCMallen
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Oh my god. Talk about someone who takes a satire site waaaaaay too seriously...

That's what happens when satire slams a beloved landmark.

flintysooner
08-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I always do Cattlemen's for at least one of my birthday mealsHow many birthday meals do you get and how do you get them?

I've finally lived long enough that my insurance agent doesn't even send a card anymore much less anyone giving a meal!

Dustin
08-06-2010, 01:21 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h0IYJBGkkY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9h0IYJBGkkY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0a2Yrb4r78&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0a2Yrb4r78&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

dmoor82
08-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Man guy's i wish we still had some Big Ed's still open and also is Mr. Spriggs still open?that would have been two good place's for Adam to go!

bluedogok
08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
There is a Big Ed's open at NW 122nd & Penn.

Fastfwd
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
yeah what gives, when i go to a catfish joint here in okc, I never see good eye candy (hotties) like they showed on man vs food, good thing i guess, my wife would slap the s**t out of me if she caught me looking...But on the subject, those onion burgers looked really good..

He referred to the one girl as a Miss Oklahoma if I’m not mistaken……..

ljbab728
08-11-2010, 09:58 PM
He referred to the one girl as a Miss Oklahoma if I’m not mistaken……..

Yes, that is the current Miss Oklahoma, Emoly West.

Thunder
08-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Wish Sante Fe was still around

You will be very surprised by this.... There is one on 29th in MWC! YAY!!!

MrBojangles
08-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I ate at the Catfish & Steak Barn. There are better places to get catfish.