View Full Version : Dog friendly stores/malls?

betts
07-31-2010, 02:03 PM
When I was recently in Chicago, I encountered a dog at the make-up counter at Neiman Marcus. My daughter told me that many stores in Chicago welcome dogs. It's so hot here right now that it's miserable to walk pets, and I was wondering if any malls here in OKC allow you to walk dogs inside.

Dustin
07-31-2010, 02:21 PM
I saw a lady in Lowes today with her yappy Yorkie.. sry that doesn't help you at all..

Thunder
07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
PetSmart and PETCO

Anywhere else, you will need to have him/her certified with orange vest and papers available.

DirtLaw
07-31-2010, 04:23 PM
I have taken my dog to Louies on the patio lakeside and to flips ... but I cannot think of a mall. Lots of places in Dallas allow dogs. Northpark mall is one that my girlfriend would always take her dog with us when we went.

FritterGirl
07-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Most local pet stores including PetSmart, PetCo.

We take our girls to Lowe's and have taken them to a restaurant with a patio or two.

We don't have just tons of places.

BBatesokc
07-31-2010, 05:13 PM
I too have seen dogs in the patio areas of a few restaurants (Deep Deuce Grill most recently). I've also seen small dogs many times being carried by their owners in stores.

FYI - Service dogs do not have to have any type of vest on to indicate their status. A friend of ours trains service dogs.

metro
07-31-2010, 06:24 PM
Geez, I hope not, but I've seen small dogs in purses at numerous stores.

ljbab728
07-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Geez, I hope not, but I've seen small dogs in purses at numerous stores.

I love dogs and have had many but, for the life of me, I can't imagine why anyone would want to take their dog with them when they go shopping or out to eat.

betts
08-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I take my dog to Starbucks on the weekends if the weather is such that we can sit outside. I always have coffee with a big group of my friends, and it just seems natural to bring along my dog friend. He enjoys the attention and perhaps feels like he's part of "the pack". In the evening, if we go out to dinner, we usually walk. If I could sit outdoors and bring my dog, again it would feel fairly natural to have him along, and I know he would enjoy it.

As far as shopping goes, what I'd really like to do is have an enclosed air conditioned mall where he could be walked in comfort in this heat. His exercise is siffering, as I'm not very excited about long walks in 90 degree weather. I'm not really dying to bring him into the stores. He does love going to Petsmart, though.

ljbab728
08-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm glad you enjoy having your dog with you and evidently it is well behaved. That's not the case with all dogs though. I went to my daughter's house today for dinner. She has a young great dane which she keeps in the house most of the time. The dog was all over us while we were eating which isn't pleasant. I love my daughter very much and won't tell her what to do in her house but not all animals are equal when it comes to being in public places. I have been "accosted" by other people's pets in public before and they seem to think it's cute. Not so much for me. I was severely mauled by a dog when I was two years old and am always very wary.

BBatesokc
08-02-2010, 05:18 AM
I'm glad you enjoy having your dog with you and evidently it is well behaved. That's not the case with all dogs though. I went to my daughter's house today for dinner. She has a young great dane which she keeps in the house most of the time. The dog was all over us while we were eating which isn't pleasant. I love my daughter very much and won't tell her what to do in her house but not all animals are equal when it comes to being in public places. I have been "accosted" by other people's pets in public before and they seem to think it's cute. Not so much for me. I was severely mauled by a dog when I was two years old and am always very wary.

Ha - The whole time I was thinking you could replace 'dog' with 'child' and I'd be right there with ya! I'd rather be in a WalMart full of other people's dogs than most of their children!

I see where you're going, but I don't really buy it. Most sane people know if their dog's temperament is suitable taking the dog to places such as restaurants, etc. But, that being said, I've seen many people who take their dog to the dog park and then have the other dog owners run them off or leave themselves because the dog is too aggressive.

Richard at Remax
08-02-2010, 08:01 AM
dogs aren't accessories, leave them at home.

OKCMallen
08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
NorthPark Mall used to let you take your furry friend inside to go to Paws Around Town.

betts
08-02-2010, 09:43 AM
dogs aren't accessories, leave them at home.

I agree, dogs aren't accessories. However leaving them at home alone without company basically treats them like an accessory as well. If you have a well-behaved pet and it enjoys the company of people, I see nothing wrong with a dog in the outdoor part of a restaurant. I don't see anything wrong with one walking in a mall either, again if it is well behaved and it and its owner are trained. I actually enjoy seeing well behaved dogs when I'm out and about. Pets are welcome in many indoor restaurants in Europe. The emphasis is on well-behaved. Unruly or agressive dogs have no business being out among the general public anywhere.

BBatesokc
08-02-2010, 01:48 PM
That's one thing I like about Austin ~ very dog friendly. I see dog's at most every outdoor patio restaurant.

ljbab728
08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
. The emphasis is on well-behaved. Unruly or agressive dogs have no business being out among the general public anywhere.

I agree, however, many people don't really understand when their dog is unruly or agressive just as many parents don't recognize that about their children. To them they're just being cute when they act that way. How does a business owner handle that kind of situation? Should the dog owner be asked to leave or just tolerated? How many stories have you seen on the news about a dog attacking someone and the owner, when interviewed, talks about how gentle and friendly it is?

BBatesokc
08-03-2010, 06:05 AM
That's not really a fair comparison. I've personally never heard of a single incident on the news about a dog with its owner in a public space that attacked someone. Its always a dog getting out of its fenced yard and often is a dog that's sole purpose is to guard the house and has not been socialized. The Petsmart by us is full of dogs on the weekends and its a great socializing experience. But, there are all kinds of dog owners - those that incorporate their dog into the family 'pack' and socialize them and then those people that think the only place for a dog is in the backyard chained to a fence.

tburn
10-05-2010, 04:03 PM
We take our dog to Petsmart, Petco, Lowe's and a few patios - Flip's, Deep Deuce, Sauced (RIP), Picasso's, Mamasita's, Louie's Lakeside and I hear Irma's on 63rd will allow them! I wish OKC had more dog friendly places.
Our dog is part of our family, she is both a guard dog (stays inside when we are gone) and our companion. We like to take her with us as often as we can to help with socialization. She is a street rescue and suffered neglect before we got her so exposing her to as many new situations, without drama helps her to be a more calm and happy dog. During the bitter winter and extreme summer heat, we can't get our normal exercize outside -- I WISH petsmart had Treadmills! I would pay an hourly fee just to get some exercize with my dog so we are both well adjusted!

PennyQuilts
10-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I had no idea Mamasita's let dogs go. Or Flips, for that matter.

tburn
10-06-2010, 12:18 PM
I think places that have a walk-on patio, where you don't have to enter from the restaurant are okay with well mannered dogs. Mamasita's has a cat living under the decking so that can get a little exciting! We have to be careful there -- have only been one time recently with her and they warned us about the kitty.
I have seen a dog at Iguana Lounge outdoor patio too, but we haven't been with ours.

dismayed
10-06-2010, 08:08 PM
That's one thing I like about Austin ~ very dog friendly. I see dog's at most every outdoor patio restaurant.

Yep, many places there the wait staff will even bring out a water bowl for the dogs.