View Full Version : Best friend visiting from NYC.

circuitboard
07-31-2010, 01:17 AM
My best friend is visiting from NYC, and this his first time in Oklahoma. I gave him a tour of the city, he was amazed, and he could not believe the progress of our city. He was astonished by the Devon tower being built. He said “seriously, you’re building a new skyscraper?"

SkyWestOKC
07-31-2010, 01:30 AM
My friend is here for FAA training from NYC, he is counting the days until he can leave. lol. Glad to hear your Yorker enjoys it!

Architect2010
07-31-2010, 04:13 AM
I have relatives living in NYC and they always enjoy OKC when they visit.

rondvu
07-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Oklahoma has lots of interesting areas. Look at the comparison from NE to SW and SE to NW whole different worlds. I bet Architect 2010 is a great tour guide. Architect, I have to admit I have always has a fondness or great architecture.

PennyQuilts
07-31-2010, 08:43 AM
OKC is a jewel.

Steve
07-31-2010, 08:49 AM
I think a visitor's opinion of OKC can be quickly skewed by their world view. If they view middle America as "fly over country," then it will be difficult if not impossible to change their minds. The dominance of the east and west coasts in popular culture (tv, movies) set in motion a decades long prejudice that may never go away. As a former east coaster myself, I can tell you that for whatever "trailer trash" and "hillbillies" we might have, there's an ample supply of "Jersey shore" types who are every bit as embarassing to the east coast. I'm not familiar with the west coast, but I'm sure they've got their embarassments as well. And as for a place being boring - well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

krisb
07-31-2010, 11:18 PM
It drives me crazy how every movie has to be set in New York or LA. It's so refreshing when a movie is set anywhere outside those two locales. I think Wayne Coyne described it best by suggesting that creative work from Oklahoma artists carries with it a kind of "rootedness."

ljbab728
07-31-2010, 11:45 PM
I think a visitor's opinion of OKC can be quickly skewed by their world view. If they view middle America as "fly over country," then it will be difficult if not impossible to change their minds. The dominance of the east and west coasts in popular culture (tv, movies) set in motion a decades long prejudice that may never go away. As a former east coaster myself, I can tell you that for whatever "trailer trash" and "hillbillies" we might have, there's an ample supply of "Jersey shore" types who are every bit as embarassing to the east coast. I'm not familiar with the west coast, but I'm sure they've got their embarassments as well. And as for a place being boring - well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Having spent a lot of time in both San Francisco and LA, I assure you they have their embarassments. The last time I was in LA I was walking down Santa Monica Boulevard when I saw someone passing me on a bicycle. The person was a little overweight and wearing a very short skirt and halter top. I almost fell over when that person turned towards me and I saw a full beard. LOL

soonerguru
08-01-2010, 01:11 PM
I only agree with this to a point. OKC has hidden charms -- in some cases, extremely hidden. For someone who lives in NYC, the city is right there in front of you. Factually, the things that might make a New Yorker think less than the best of OKC are things that people on this board would like to see change, for example, more stuff to do, more pedestrian lifestyle, better amenities, more downtown/urban housing, etc.

It's tiring when people in OKC are always so defensive about "people on the coasts." Honestly, there are a lot of really cool things to do on the coasts and in OKC we're trying to make up for more than a generation of bad urban planning. No need to deride our coastal critics.

j7m7l7
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I agree with the above poster, but I do believe the coasts have some big egos that are overwhelming at many times. Myself, having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and also spending time in the Denver metro (which itself has a lot of CA influence), I can say that people in that area look down upon the middle of the county. They appreciate the east coast a little, but still look down upon that as well. It really comes down to a matter of opinion, as I am personally someone who loves living in the OKC area, but there are many people who would not like it. It is just a shame sometimes in this county that every part of the country seems to hate each other for some reason when we are all supposed to be "united". One of the reasons I was so happy to leave CA is because of the fact that they claim to be so open, but even as recently as a year ago on a trip to San Fran, people looked at me in disgust when I said I lived in OKC, and they all believed that I lived in a tepee and rode a horse to school. Most peoples impressions are shaped by the weather map (tornadoes), as well as the one cultural relic that remains that everyone reads in public school, Grapes of Wrath, which is obviously a gross misrepresentation of Oklahoma.

Luke
08-01-2010, 08:11 PM
My first love is Oklahoma. However, having moved in January to Tampa, FL... I gotta say it is nice being an hour from the best beaches in America (Siesta Key... Ohmygoodness) and Disney World. That being said, my heart is still in Oklahoma and I can't wait to come back. Looks like Christmas is when that'll be. :)

Kerry
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
My first love is Oklahoma. However, having moved in January to Tampa, FL... I gotta say it is nice being an hour from the best beaches in America (Siesta Key... Ohmygoodness) and Disney World. That being said, my heart is still in Oklahoma and I can't wait to come back. Looks like Christmas is when that'll be. :)

I lived in Tampa for 7 years - nothing is just an hour away. Enjoy the taffic.

barnold
08-01-2010, 09:38 PM
My friends that visit from all over the country are always surprised at how much Okc has to offer. I'm blessed that I get to do quite a bit of traveling All over the country and get the chance to compare our great city with many others. Each one I visit has something unique to offer, but Okc will always be home to me.

Luke
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
I lived in Tampa for 7 years - nothing is just an hour away. Enjoy the taffic.

I live at 75 and the Crosstown. It is one hour to Siesta Key and one hour to the Magic Kingdom. No lie! :)

jbrown84
08-03-2010, 12:59 AM
Great to hear your friend liked it here! There's a big difference between blindly disliking it here because it's Oklahoma (honestly I see this more with Texans than anyone else) and recognizing that we have a lot going for us.

metro
08-03-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree with the above poster, but I do believe the coasts have some big egos that are overwhelming at many times. Myself, having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, and also spending time in the Denver metro (which itself has a lot of CA influence), I can say that people in that area look down upon the middle of the county. They appreciate the east coast a little, but still look down upon that as well. It really comes down to a matter of opinion, as I am personally someone who loves living in the OKC area, but there are many people who would not like it. It is just a shame sometimes in this county that every part of the country seems to hate each other for some reason when we are all supposed to be "united". One of the reasons I was so happy to leave CA is because of the fact that they claim to be so open, but even as recently as a year ago on a trip to San Fran, people looked at me in disgust when I said I lived in OKC, and they all believed that I lived in a tepee and rode a horse to school. Most peoples impressions are shaped by the weather map (tornadoes), as well as the one cultural relic that remains that everyone reads in public school, Grapes of Wrath, which is obviously a gross misrepresentation of Oklahoma.

The only place I've EVER heard people still think we live in teepees and ride horses are on this online forum, I have traveled extensively and have never heard it. As most of our cheerleaders state, most people just don't have an impression period of Oklahoma, but I've never heard anyone that doesn't live in Oklahoma think we live in the 1800's.

jbrown84
08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Though I haven't had anyone think we lived in teepees, I have had several conversations while traveling where people were surprised we had cities. They pretty much think that it's all farms or something. Although this was in the past and I'm sure OKC's increased visibility is changing that.

soonerguru
08-04-2010, 03:05 PM
The only place I've EVER heard people still think we live in teepees and ride horses are on this online forum, I have traveled extensively and have never heard it. As most of our cheerleaders state, most people just don't have an impression period of Oklahoma, but I've never heard anyone that doesn't live in Oklahoma think we live in the 1800's.

I've lived in NYC, and I had people ask me that. Granted, that was more than a decade ago, but ask anyone who's lived in the Northeast and they'll tell you they've fielded this question.

Another one is wondering if people still ride horses and covered wagons as primary transport.

soonerguru
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM

My experience is that when I'm in really big cities, like NYC, on business, there is more curiosity than derision.

Oddly enough, some of the most condescending, rude comments I've heard about Oklahoma and Oklahomans have come from people who live in big cities in Texas and Colorado. Extremely rude comments.

redland
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
My experience is much he same as that described by Metro in an earlier post. I spent five years in New York doing graduate work at Columbia and some part-time teaching. When my Oklahoma roots came up in conversation, it never elicited any derogatory comment. There was simply a lack of knowledge. The only down side was that very few showed much curiosity about the state.

Pete
08-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Out here in Southern California (and really, the West Coast in general) almost everyone is from somewhere else and usually not from one of the handful of truly big-cities in the U.S. The very small percentage that actually have lived almost all their life out here at least know hundreds of others from the central U.S.

So, most have plenty of perspective... They know that Oklahoma City is much like Kansas City or St. Louis or Denver or Dallas. They might not know much about it, but their frame of reference is usually plenty of other land-locked cities and states.

And even though I have virtually zero accent, nobody seems too surprised when I tell them I spent the first 30 years in Oklahoma. Usually, the retort is "Yeah, I grew up in Indiana" or some other such place.

okclee
08-04-2010, 04:21 PM
My experience is that when I'm in really big cities, like NYC, on business, there is more curiosity than derision.

Oddly enough, some of the most condescending, rude comments I've heard about Oklahoma and Oklahomans have come from people who live in big cities in Texas and Colorado. Extremely rude comments.

Oddly enough the most rude and condescending comments I hear are from other Oklahomans. The low self esteem in Oklahoma is poor. I do think it is getting better though, but some of the comments that come out of Oklahomans amaze me sometimes.

As far as people from New York, I have family that lives in NYC and they love visiting Okc as much as possible. Nothing but rave reviews about Okc from the New Yorkers I know.

jbrown84
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Absolutely. Me too.

These days, all the downtown hotels fill up on Tuesdays and Wednesdays just from business travel. But I get reservation calls from Dallas and Houston and when I tell them we're sold out, I always get these responses of extreme disgust. "What on earth is going on in Oklahoma?!" Makes me very angry.

fuzzytoad
08-04-2010, 05:27 PM
"What on earth is going on in Oklahoma?!" Makes me very angry.

And that's part of what's wrong with Oklahoma's image.. Someone makes a comment or slight about the city, be it intentional or not and you respond with anger...

How 'bout next time you cheerfully respond with "Just another typical Tuesday/Wednesday in OKC"?

No, most of you need to be children about it..

You get angry and post messages about it sounding like a bunch of 5th graders.. 9 times out of 10 all you do is make OKC even more of a laughing stock..

Headline reads that OKC's mayor puts the city on a diet, next article afterwards is a picture of the Mayor shilling for Taco Bell..

Embrace our uniqueness instead of trying to sweep it under the rug and trying to be like all the major cities.. Almost everytime we try it ends up being a pitiful joke to all the cities we're trying soooo hard to emulate...

I've lived all over the world while I was in the military.. I've fielded questions about OK concerning everything from "Is it still a big dustbowl?" to "does everyone ride horses on the roads?" to "You probably see lots of indians around." etc...

Just roll with it and have fun with it.. If someone asks about cowboys, don't be a child and get angry and start spouting off about all the Arts festivals and Museums and wonderful Bricktown nightlife... They probably don't care and if they've actually been here will probably laugh at you..

We have the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum here, we have the American Banjo Museum, we have tons of lakes and outdoorsy things here that personify what many people who never been here think of when you mention Oklahoma... I can count on one hand the times I've seen any of you mention these things as tourism draws for the city...

Many people come here expecting to see certain things and instead are directed to crap like the canal ride and bricktown.. If I go to Salt Lake city, I expect to see the Great Salt Lake, not wannabe hipster art gallerys downtown or the martini bar outside Hill AFB.

semisimple
08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
but even as recently as a year ago on a trip to San Fran, people looked at me in disgust when I said I lived in OKC, and they all believed that I lived in a tepee and rode a horse to school.

Living in Austin, I have heard a fair amount of negative and occasionally downright vile comments about Oklahoma. Fair enough; it's not everyone's cup of tea. On the other hand, comments like these which involve "indians" and "tepees" are downright stupid. Anyone who shares that they legitimately have that impression of Oklahoma should be ridiculed on the spot for being so woefully (and likely, willfully) ignorant about their own country. I've not had (dis)pleasure of hearing this one in person but there's evidently hope yet...

soonerguru
08-04-2010, 08:24 PM
I suspect that the Texans' nasty comments about Oklahoma have a bit to do with their own image problems. Texans aren't the most popular folks around.

Spartan
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
It drives me crazy how every movie has to be set in New York or LA.

Not always.. I was staying in Chicago last week, down the street they were blowing up stuff for the shooting of Transformers 3. I think they also used Chicago as "Gotham City" in the last Batman.

I know it doesn't change what you're saying, but just to be technical..LOL

jbrown84
08-05-2010, 01:47 PM
And that's part of what's wrong with Oklahoma's image.. Someone makes a comment or slight about the city, be it intentional or not and you respond with anger...

How 'bout next time you cheerfully respond with "Just another typical Tuesday/Wednesday in OKC"?.

That's exactly what I did. Of course I didn't get outwardly angry.