View Full Version : The Bethany Jogger

Bigrayok
07-29-2010, 11:11 PM
For about 20 years there was a man in the Bethany area that used to jog for hours at a time. He was really thin and used to check out books from the Bethany Library a lot. He would actually read while jogging. Anyone remember him? Does anyone know who he was? I would see him around N.W. 23rd from Rockwell to Meridian and N.W. 36th. I have not seen him in recent years but he was a fixture for a long time.

Bigray in Ok

CarltonsKeeper
07-30-2010, 06:39 AM
Anyone Southside people remember WEE-WOE (worked for the Capitall Hill Beacon) who walked the streets of Capital Hill and would chase you forever if you called him WEE-WOE, this was the late fifties and early sixties?

USG'60
07-30-2010, 06:50 AM
That was LeRoy. Indeed a fixture in downtown Capitol Hill. He sold the CH Beacon.

CarltonsKeeper
07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
That was LeRoy. Indeed a fixture in downtown Capitol Hill. He sold the CH Beacon.

Always that Beacon paper bag over his shoulder and usually his hat but not always. I made the mistake of calling him WEE-Woe not knowing the outcome!! LOL

CarltonsKeeper
07-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Always that Beacon paper bag over his shoulder and usually his hat but not always. I made the mistake of calling him WEE-Woe not knowing the outcome!! LOL

Can't you just see Gen64 in his cowboy Boots with Wee-Woe hot on his trail!!! LMAO

papaOU
07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Can't you just see Gen64 in his cowboy Boots with Wee-Woe hot on his trail!!! LMAO

Wee-Woe yelling, "Come back daddy! Come back!"

CarltonsKeeper
07-30-2010, 04:50 PM
Wee-Woe yelling, "Come back daddy! Come back!"

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Killin" Me!! I just blew my Martini all over the keyboard....................

Thunder
07-31-2010, 02:28 AM
He's watching.

Bigrayok
08-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Wee Woe reminds me of Calvin that has sold the Norman Transcript in the Campus Corner area in Norman for years. I have not been to Campus Corner lately. Is Calvin still around? Since this post was originally about the Bethany Jogger, does anyone know anything about him?

Bigray in Ok

metro
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Lived in Bethany most of my life, even ran for Bethany City Council and never heard of this Bethany Jogger character.

Bigrayok
08-03-2010, 03:10 PM
He was around Bethany beginning around 1980 to the 2000's some time. He was bone thin, basically anorexic looking. After a few years, he did not jog as much but kind of walked like he was trying to jog. He used to go without a shirt a lot. One urban legend I heard was that he was a Harvard graduate and had to jog because he had some kind of disease. I am surprised you did not see him because he was around for a long time. I used to see him on 23rd and 36th a lot. He used to go into the Bethany Library and check out five or six books at a time. Most of the people I grew up remember him. He used to jog a lot during the day time so people that worked at that time may not have seen him. I have always been curious about him.

Bigray in Ok

USG'60
08-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey, Ray, does this mean you were a southside kid?

papaOU
08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Wee Woe reminds me of Calvin that has sold the Norman Transcript in the Campus Corner area in Norman for years. I have not been to Campus Corner lately. Is Calvin still around? Since this post was originally about the Bethany Jogger, does anyone know anything about him?

Bigray in Ok

Calvin is still there. A magazine was doing a feature on Norman and Calvin had his picture covering a complete page published.

papaOU
08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
He was around Bethany beginning around 1980 to the 2000's some time. He was bone thin, basically anorexic looking. After a few years, he did not jog as much but kind of walked like he was trying to jog. He used to go without a shirt a lot. One urban legend I heard was that he was a Harvard graduate and had to jog because he had some kind of disease. I am surprised you did not see him because he was around for a long time. I used to see him on 23rd and 36th a lot. He used to go into the Bethany Library and check out five or six books at a time. Most of the people I grew up remember him. He used to jog a lot during the day time so people that worked at that time may not have seen him. I have always been curious about him.

Bigray in Ok

You just described my Mom!!

metro
08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Bethany southside? Bethany is on NW side of OKC. Nope don't remember seeing him either, but I grew up north of NW 39th.

papaOU
08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Bethany southside? Bethany is on NW side of OKC. Nope don't remember seeing him either, but I grew up north of NW 39th.

Being a northsider, you probably saw him frequently. It's just that his odd appearance and behavior allowed him to blend in with the rest of you people.

Bigrayok
08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
No, I am not a southsider although I know the southside fairly well. The descriptions of Wee Woe reminded me of Calvin in Norman. I have talked to some others about the Bethany Jogger. They remember him but no one knows anything about him. I might go to the Bethany Library some time and see if anyone remembers him there. He is one of those interesting, mysterious characters people grow up with everywhere.

Bigray

clz46
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Wow papaOU! I'm with Carltonskeeper except my drink of choice is more like caffeine-free diet coke. But ya know how northsiders are.

capt_john_97
06-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I have seen the jogger you are speaking of basically a skeleton with skin. I remember talking about him while I ran Will Rogers Pool and that guy got around. I Seem to remember when I worked at Westside YMCA (Now Bethany YMCA) He used to come in there....that has been a few years though.

kevinpate
06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Don't know the jogger, but Calvin in Norman is still doing well

Joe Kimball
06-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Don't know the jogger, but Calvin in Norman is still doing well

Indeed! I was happy to get a chance to buy a paper off of him one recent Saturday.

bluedogok
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
There is a woman that I see walking all the time around our neighborhood down here in South Austin. Over the 8 years that I have here it has been eerie to watch her slowly become a walking skeleton.