View Full Version : Biking commentary: Share the road

urbanity
07-29-2010, 07:34 AM
http://okgazette.com/article/07-28-2010/Share_the_road.aspx

betts
07-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I'm not sure it's ever safe to ride a bike on anything but a neighborhood street. Bike lanes help, as long as people respect them. Personally, though, I'm primarily sticking with Lake Hefner and the Oklahoma River until bike lanes are created on streets that are actually made wider for that purpose. A little paint on the road helps, but it's not foolproof.

lasomeday
07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
I like biking around Lake Overholser. The only problem is 10th Street is a death trap some days.

Midtowner
07-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Has anyone taken the trail from Hefner to Overholser?

CuatrodeMayo
07-30-2010, 07:12 AM
Not yet. Would it follow the canal?

Has anyone found a safe way across I-44?

Vegan
08-01-2010, 07:16 AM
I miss Iowa City. I bought a bike back when I lived there and now my bike just gathers dust because I'm too afraid to legally ride it in the streets here in Oklahoma. I wish that people who drive cars were REQUIRED to take a test about laws regarding bikes in streets. Both of my parents are avid bicyclists (my mother is currently on a bike trip down the Pacific Coast Highway) and I always worry about them when they are riding their bikes in Oklahoma. My father has been hit numerous times and my mother "nudged" off the road and yet they keep riding. (They're far more fearless than I.)

Vegan
08-01-2010, 07:17 AM
Seriously, when on earth am I going to be able to communicate on this board in a timely manner? This place is losing its appeal for me because I have to wait until the next day for my comment to show up and then longer for a reply.

ljbab728
08-01-2010, 10:46 PM
I miss Iowa City. I bought a bike back when I lived there and now my bike just gathers dust because I'm too afraid to legally ride it in the streets here in Oklahoma. I wish that people who drive cars were REQUIRED to take a test about laws regarding bikes in streets. Both of my parents are avid bicyclists (my mother is currently on a bike trip down the Pacific Coast Highway) and I always worry about them when they are riding their bikes in Oklahoma. My father has been hit numerous times and my mother "nudged" off the road and yet they keep riding. (They're far more fearless than I.)

I'm not disagreeing with you at all but want to add that bicycle riders also need to be better educated. I can't tell you how many times I've had to swerve my car because of a bicycle rider who was riding the wrong direction in my lane. That is very unnerving.

OKCTalker
08-03-2010, 09:50 AM
Has anyone taken the trail from Hefner to Overholser?

Yes, about a month ago. Watch out for the new speedbumps on Stinchcomb Avenue which have caused at least two recent bike crashes. Wilshire Boulevard is still rough but being repaved.