oakhollow
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
As of July 2014, this is now open.

Steve
07-26-2010, 09:51 AM
it's dead

oakhollow
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Are there any other projects aimed at accomplishing somewhat of the same thing?

ourulz2000
07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Shocked.

BDK
07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
As far as what I read, the expense was too great to include the plan like the original MAPS had intended. I think it is an eventual plan, like 10 year or more down the line, though.

Spartan
07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Are there any other projects aimed at accomplishing somewhat of the same thing?

Yes, there is an effort to simply locate the convention center across from Bricktown, rather than in "Core2Shoreland."

Larry OKC
07-27-2010, 03:12 AM
Yes, there is an effort to simply locate the convention center across from Bricktown, rather than in "Core2Shoreland."

There ya go...if you can't bring the Canal to the Convention Center (as sold to the voter's with the original MAPS), bring the Convention Center to the Canal!

Thunder
07-27-2010, 03:45 AM
it's dead

Is that all you can say? :-O

Larry OKC
07-27-2010, 05:46 AM
Lets face it, if two former mayors and co-treasurers of the MAPS 3 campaign couldn't get it pushed through and included in MAPS 3....

Rover
07-27-2010, 07:02 AM
We don't know the location of the new convention center so how can we tie it into the canal?

Until there is more real development on the canal that is there, and more sustainable businesses, why in the world would we extend it?

Larry OKC
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Rover

We knew where the Myriad/Cox Convention Center was under the original MAPS (was supposed to connect the C.C. with Bricktown with the River, we only got the Bricktown segment). Now that we are getting a new C.C. (location officially undetermined), we can either put closer to Bricktown and the Canal, or place it elsewhere and then extend the Canal to the other location.

As far as your other question, the connectivity stressed by then Mayor Norick will in theory lead to more sustainable businesses. Without the connectivity, we ended up with what we have. A success, but so much more potential has gone unrealized.

Spartan
07-28-2010, 01:00 PM
We don't know the location of the new convention center so how can we tie it into the canal?

Until there is more real development on the canal that is there, and more sustainable businesses, why in the world would we extend it?

I think the idea with the canal extension is that this is a flawed canal in part because it does not connect very much. I think they were just wanting to connect it to something else, though I think it would have been cooler if they extended it through the CBD around one of the sides of the Cox Center (down the middle of Reno or Sheridan).

But the bottom line is that even with a canal extension that will never happen now, putting the new big convention center south of the Ford Center and not adjacent to Bricktown WILL hurt Bricktown.

betts
07-29-2010, 11:30 AM
But the bottom line is that even with a canal extension that will never happen now, putting the new big convention center south of the Ford Center and not adjacent to Bricktown WILL hurt Bricktown.

It will only hurt Bricktown if an area full of restaurants and bars springs up adjacent to the new Convention Center. Otherwise, again, the Convention Center will still be within walking distance of Bricktown by most people's standards (except, perhaps, those in Oklahoma) and if wide sidewalks and mass transit that easily and quickly connects convention-goers to Bricktown exists, it will have very little impact on Bricktown, IMO.

Urban Pioneer
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Interesting... News 9 just ran a fairly long segment about any near future hopes of the canal extension using TIF funds being completely dead. Apparently it was discussed or voted/not voted on in some way yesterday at council. At least that is how the piece seemed to portray it. No mention of the planned Santa Fe Transit Hub whilst most of the film footage was shot in that area.

mcca7596
11-30-2011, 11:30 PM
I believe this just has to do with the fact that the Harding and Shelton project was not completed as originally intended.

BoulderSooner
12-01-2011, 06:44 AM
I believe this just has to do with the fact that the Harding and Shelton project was not completed as originally intended.

100% correct .. .the council voted to end/remove the 1mil canal extention project that would have extended the canel south from the current west end down to reno....

it is in the consent docket right next to the action that gave the 400k TIF to caranige project

king183
12-01-2011, 08:22 AM
100% correct .. .the council voted to end/remove the 1mil canal extention project that would have extended the canel south from the current west end down to reno....

it is in the consent docket right next to the action that gave the 400k TIF to caranige project

So does this mean the extension is basically dead forever or that it's dead until some kind of development comes along?

UnFrSaKn
01-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Plans Advancing for Canal Extension (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2012/01/29/plans-advancing-for-canal-extension/)

http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/files/2012/01/canal-extend.jpg

UnFrSaKn
01-29-2012, 12:54 PM
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/Bricktown/Canal%20Extension/bricktowncanalextension01.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/Bricktown/Canal%20Extension/bricktowncanalextension02.jpg

jn1780
01-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I would call it an "Oklahoma River" extension more than anything. Bringing it closer to the Bricktown canal for people to technically be able to switch boats. More importantly it extends the Bricktown trail network to the Oklahoma River.

Fantastic
01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I would call it an "Oklahoma River" extension more than anything. Bringing it closer to the Bricktown canal for people to technically be able to switch boats. More importantly it extends the Bricktown trail network to the Oklahoma River.

I get asked ALL THE TIME... "Aren't they extending the canal and connect it to the river?" And I have to explain to them, "No, if anything they are extending the river to the canal. (up until now I would say,) I don't know when or if these plans will happen, but it's going to basically be an extension of the riverboat turnaround underneath the new I-40 to the southeast edge of the Brictown Canal." Alot of people also assume that this extension means the two will be connected and they will be able to ride a boat on both bodies of water, I usually have to explain that there is an elevation difference between the canal and the river. Notice in the picture here, there is a windy staircase/ramp thingy. So, yeah, passengers will have to switch boats.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh553/FantasticOKC/canal-extend-stairs.jpg

And I totally agree with the importance of linking the riverwalk along the canal with the Oklahoma River trails.

Snowman
01-29-2012, 05:41 PM
I may be off on this, but I think part of why it was originally called a canal was they was some consideration of having locks to allow canal boats to transfer between the two.

This looks great! Am I missing something or does the canal have to cross tracks? And why wasn't this incorporated into the new highway? Or are we not going to have to tear out a bunch of new stuff to install the bridge? I can't tell from this drawing.

I also hope that the trails system is at least stubbed out using this underpass.

The bridge for i40 and the train track to go over this built several years ago. The bridge that ship is under will be new for the pedestrian trail along the river and the ramp on the right hand side of the drawing is where it connects most efficiently with the existing canal trails, though you could reach them from the switchbacks on the left hand side as well.

Fantastic
01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
I may be off on this, but I think part of why it was originally called a canal was they was some consideration of having locks to allow canal boats to transfer between the two.

Yeah, I've heard this in the past, don't know how serious it was, how far it got, or if it is something that is in consideration for a future connection. I would think that the city would be happy to keep Water Taxi and Oklahoma River Cruises away from each other, because the two are so dramatically different as attractions and experiences. But I have seen river development plans that call for "water taxi stops" along the river. Again, not sure if this is something for future considerstion.

jn1780
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
I rotated the Google Earth image to match the drawing.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/5853/canalextension.png

Edit: Forgot to draw in the trails on either side of the river extension.

Spartan
01-29-2012, 10:33 PM
This makes me really wish I had ridden one of those dinky Devon Cruiser things, because now I am extremely curious what it's like to change locks on one of those, and whether that would work here. I think that they actually change locks 2 or 3 times actually..

ljbab728
01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
This makes me really wish I had ridden one of those dinky Devon Cruiser things, because now I am extremely curious what it's like to change locks on one of those, and whether that would work here. I think that they actually change locks 2 or 3 times actually..

I've done that, Spartan, and while it's interesting, it's kinda like watching paint dry. I've also done the Panama Canal with the same thoughts. Once you've done it once there's not much reason to do it again other than to get from one point to another. It's just like being on an open air elevator. While I'm sure it would be possible at that connection point I just don't think it's worth the expense envolved.

Spartan
01-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Interesting, ljbab. I almost think that "cruising" the Oklahoma River/drainage ditch would be like watching paint dry in its entirety, and not just switching locks. I almost had the idea that it would be the opposite, and perhaps the lock changes would be the only interesting point.

Before 10 trolls all attack me at once, I just wish the ugly gravel was removed (while practical initially, it's just a bad idea and aesthetically don't even know where to begin), and that actual trees were planted. In fact, it's almost like somebody was opposed to planting trees and instead wanted the gravel. Only in Oklahoma...

RodH
01-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Interesting, ljbab. I almost think that "cruising" the Oklahoma River/drainage ditch would be like watching paint dry in its entirety, and not just switching locks. I almost had the idea that it would be the opposite, and perhaps the lock changes would be the only interesting point.

Before 10 trolls all attack me at once, I just wish the ugly gravel was removed (while practical initially, it's just a bad idea and aesthetically don't even know where to begin), and that actual trees were planted. In fact, it's almost like somebody was opposed to planting trees and instead wanted the gravel. Only in Oklahoma...

I have taken the river cruise. I thought the locks were interesting but I like the different views of the city from the river more. I was surprised by how well you can see the Health Center from the river. There are actually a suprising number of trees. The mile of river from Portland to Meridian has the natural river bank. There are no rocks and the trail is only on the south bank.

Steve
01-30-2012, 07:54 AM
My understanding is the locks would be prohibitively expensive on this connection.

Pete
01-30-2012, 08:52 AM
The river cruise will be much more interesting down the road as more development and improvements take place.

It's nice that the boats are there, it was probably just a bit premature to get them started.

The potential of the river is just in it's infancy... It's actually amazing how much has taken place rather organically and as I've posted elsewhere, I'd like to see a lot of the area really developed into recreation venues, as there is plenty of room for it and everyone knows this is an area where OKC really lacks. Then, private development and more improvements are bound to follow.

ourulz2000
01-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Found some old photos I took of Bricktown in early 1999. Amazing what's happened in 12 years. Sorry for the quality:

http://s15.postimage.org/6156hwcft/IMAG0252_1.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/fka175.jpg

Celebrator
01-30-2012, 09:43 PM

Easy, easy...all in due time. This project is still young. I'm sure that eventually more trees and other foliage will be planted, but all of that is expensive to install and maintain, and therefore probably won't really proliferate until development along the banks flourishes. It will look more natural someday we all just have to be patient.
Does anyone know if the gravel/rocks can be removed at some point as the plant/tree life develops along the banks and helps with erosion, which I am guessing was the original purpose of the gravel/rocks?

Snowman
01-30-2012, 11:08 PM

A significant portion of the rocks are from when the 'river' was originally channelized, with a refresh a few years ago. With it being as steep a pitch it was made, they will probably need to completely regrade it to allow anything more natural keep soil back or do like near the boathouse waterfront and keep the gravel up to the water line then change what it does in the area above that.

KellyD
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Here are two quick photoshops I did of the River Extension towards the Canal. Thought you all might like to see.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109602090320352343071/RiverToCanalExtension#5703837989633032930
https://picasaweb.google.com/109602090320352343071/RiverToCanalExtension#5703838004434154146

https://picasaweb.google.com/109602090320352343071/RiverToCanalExtension#5703837989633032930

https://picasaweb.google.com/109602090320352343071/RiverToCanalExtension#5703838004434154146

Pete
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Here are KellyD's images:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/canalext1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/canalext3.jpg

BoulderSooner
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
very nice thank you

Pete
01-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Somewhat related to these improvements is a substantial renovation to the Chickasaw Nation Plaza, which is right where the canal takes a 90-degree turn before heading under the old I-40.

Looks like they are going to spend about $700K to install new pavers, landscaping, lighting and other hardscape.

This area will be a lot more visible when the new boulevard replaces the old I-40:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/chickasawplaza.jpg

Ginkasa
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Here are two quick photoshops I did of the River Extension towards the Canal. Thought you all might like to see.

That really helps to visualize it. Thanks.

shawnw
02-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Somewhat related to these improvements is a substantial renovation to the Chickasaw Nation Plaza, which is right where the canal takes a 90-degree turn before heading under the old I-40.

Looks like they are going to spend about $700K to install new pavers, landscaping, lighting and other hardscape.

This area will be a lot more visible when the new boulevard replaces the old I-40:

Probably this has been answered elsewhere on this forum (and this probably isn't the exact right place to ask, but in a quick search I couldn't find a clear, dedicated thread for "Oklahoma City Boulevard"). The above made me wonder about where the new boulevard starts and ends. I just assumed it would begin/end somewhere in the neighborhood of Bricktown (would it go all the way to Lincoln? [speaking of which does Lincoln stay disjointed forever or does it get re-aligned after the current 235-to-40 ramp goes away?], would we want it to? seems like a bad idea to have a 4-6 lane wide boulevard bridge over the canal if so... I know there's the I-40 bridge now, but it's very elevated and I thought the boulevard would remain at-grade, which seems problematic at the canal as the canal bridge currently there for parking lot access has always seemed awkward to me; or maybe the boulevard elevates to get over the canal and train tracks and curves into SE 5th?) and end/begin where it merges onto the new I-40. I haven't had the expectation that it would be a street like Reno that goes on seemingly forever in either direction. Is there a rendering or has someone already done some photoshop magic to help visualize this?

Oh, sorry for all the nested parenthetical statements, it's late...

wschnitt
02-01-2012, 05:21 AM
It would be my suggestion that as developers want to develop along the river, we build walls along the frontage. Either that or create an improvement district for the river and encourage development and use taxes to create a nice urban wall. Bottom line, you are right. The whole river needs revenue to help justify the costs of reworking the banks to make the whole river more urban.

I am assuming you are talking about a seawall. That would be TERRIBLE for rowing because the wakes from boats would bounce off of the wall and go on for ever. Boats are only inches above the waterline making them hard to row in flat water, let alone the never ending wakes that would result from your seawall.

Snowman
02-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Probably this has been answered elsewhere on this forum (and this probably isn't the exact right place to ask, but in a quick search I couldn't find a clear, dedicated thread for "Oklahoma City Boulevard"). The above made me wonder about where the new boulevard starts and ends. I just assumed it would begin/end somewhere in the neighborhood of Bricktown (would it go all the way to Lincoln? [speaking of which does Lincoln stay disjointed forever or does it get re-aligned after the current 235-to-40 ramp goes away?], would we want it to? seems like a bad idea to have a 4-6 lane wide boulevard bridge over the canal if so... I know there's the I-40 bridge now, but it's very elevated and I thought the boulevard would remain at-grade, which seems problematic at the canal as the canal bridge currently there for parking lot access has always seemed awkward to me; or maybe the boulevard elevates to get over the canal and train tracks and curves into SE 5th?) and end/begin where it merges onto the new I-40. I haven't had the expectation that it would be a street like Reno that goes on seemingly forever in either direction. Is there a rendering or has someone already done some photoshop magic to help visualize this?

The boulevard is on the old i40 path, it is at grade most of the way, becomes depressed for the north/south santa fe tracks and elevated around Toby Keith's bar to clear the canal, i40 ramps and the east/west rail line. It starts near Penn and ends at i235, by all reports now it will be four lanes. There may be a rendering in the i40 construction thread.

Just the facts
02-01-2012, 08:24 AM
I am assuming you are talking about a seawall. That would be TERRIBLE for rowing because the wakes from boats would bounce off of the wall and go on for ever. Boats are only inches above the waterline making them hard to row in flat water, let alone the never ending wakes that would result from your seawall.

The wall would only be built along one portion of the river, which isn't used for rowing. Somewhere there is thread called "urbanzing the Oklahoma river" that has lots of examples of what the wall would look like.

wschnitt
02-01-2012, 08:30 AM
The wall would only be built along one portion of the river, which isn't used for rowing. Somewhere there is thread called "urbanzing the Oklahoma river" that has lots of examples of what the wall would look like.

What portion is not used for rowing?

OKCisOK4me
02-01-2012, 11:42 AM

You may also want to check out 40Forward (www.40forward.com). There is an interactive map that, although not highly detailed, shows the interchanges for the boulevard with the new alignment.

wschnitt
02-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Stand corrected. I know nothing about rowing. And who said it would be my seawall?

Haha. It is YOUR wall because of the fact that you suggested on this thread as well as the urbanizing the river thread.

I like the idea of the wall, but it would not work. Unless it was a wall with then plants and rocks in front of it, ie overgrown mess.

wschnitt
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
=) Well, I will pick up my wall and go play somewhere else. Kidding aside, I want whatever will promote healthy, dense, development along the river. The aesthetics or design matter less than that to me.

Are you familiar with the concrete wall and sidewalk in front of the devon boathouse?

http://boathousedistrict.org/files/2010/10/Building_Devon_JPW_HOTO_Blu_2010_Disc2_011.jpg

That works because of the rocks in front of it.

shawnw
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
You may also want to check out 40Forward (www.40forward.com). There is an interactive map that, although not highly detailed, shows the interchanges for the boulevard with the new alignment.

Ugh, I totally forgot about that site. Haven't been following the I-40 stuff as much as other threads. Thanks.

OKCisOK4me
02-02-2012, 07:54 PM
You're welcome!

Just the facts
02-03-2012, 09:24 PM
And who said it would be my seawall?

Hey, if you don't want the credit for the idea can I have it? Hadrian's Wall, The Great Wall, JTF's Wall - I can live with that.

Larry OKC
02-04-2012, 10:16 PM
The boulevard is on the old i40 path, it is at grade most of the way, becomes depressed for the north/south santa fe tracks and elevated around Toby Keith's bar to clear the canal, i40 ramps and the east/west rail line. It starts near Penn and ends at i235, by all reports now it will be four lanes. There may be a rendering in the i40 construction thread.
I know that was the way they were leaning for quite a while but it seems I have been reading recently about the relocation/Boulevard in the Oklahoman, they have gone back to mentioning 6 lanes (like the one below)...don't know if this is anything official or just a writers lapse or what???

http://newsok.com/beams-from-elevated-i-40-crosstown-to-be-given-to-counties-across-oklahoma/article/3640174

After the elevated Crosstown is taken down and removed, work will begin on the new six-lane boulevard, which will be built where the bridge now stands. The boulevard should be finished by late 2014.

ljbab728
02-04-2012, 10:44 PM
My guess is that it was as you described, a writer's lapse. I've certainly seen nothing official to make me think otherwise.

Larry OKC
02-04-2012, 10:49 PM
May be but they keep making the same lapse if that is the case...

Spartan
02-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Is there anything to corroborate this new 4-lane rumor?

Snowman
02-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Is there anything to corroborate this new 4-lane rumor?

It comes up in several meetings, here is the most recent on, they start talking about the boulevard about three quarters of the way through the video.

http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1815&doctype=AGENDA

jungmuny
02-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Even more important than a seawall to me in terms of encouraging traffic growth (maybe not development) is getting the sodded banks irrigated. I caught a glimpse of the Devon Boathouse lawn on the news when the surfing building was announced and even it looked a little parched. This juxtaposition of parched grassy areas with a river just doesn't jive. If the city put up the money to irrigate the river banks so that plant life could be supported, I don't think they realize how many people would be willing take part in a mass tree-planting effort. Just one bobcat with an auger extension could easily get 100 trees planted in a day. I'm not going to plant trees though if I know they will be killed from drought and neglect.

Steve
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
To my knowledge, the boulevard's width is still officially six lanes and I'm not aware of any amendments being sent yet to the FHA to reduce it to four lanes.

Snowman
02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Even more important than a seawall to me in terms of encouraging traffic growth (maybe not development) is getting the sodded banks irrigated. I caught a glimpse of the Devon Boathouse lawn on the news when the surfing building was announced and even it looked a little parched. This juxtaposition of parched grassy areas with a river just doesn't jive. If the city put up the money to irrigate the river banks so that plant life could be supported, I don't think they realize how many people would be willing take part in a mass tree-planting effort. Just one bobcat with an auger extension could easily get 100 trees planted in a day. I'm not going to plant trees though if I know they will be killed from drought and neglect.

The sodded sloping banks are temporary, eventually they will be similar terraces as is in from of the Chesapeake finish line tower. If it was recent footage it is the beginning of February the grass is dormant, alternatively it could be old stock footage used which is generally before the building was complete. Anything permanent around Devon now has irrigation and the others will after the buildings are in place. While you may be referring to tree planing in other areas along the river, the areas around the boathouses on the north side was planned to have large open space to be there and is utilized for Regattas, they already have done a large scale tree plantings years ago on the south side. A couple people have mentioned wanting the boathouse area to look more natural but that is not what they desire, are planing or working to.

jungmuny
02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
I was talking mostly along the trail, where it seems like they favored evergreens over shade trees. I have no idea what they were thinking with that. An evergreen is the perfect thing for a predator to hide behind, while a shade tree provides shade and no hiding places. You could say it is a wind break, but if someone is running or riding a bike they are already experiencing wind. If there was a pressing need for evergreens, they should not be within arms length of the trails, as many are.

BoulderSooner
02-06-2012, 06:53 AM
To my knowledge, the boulevard's width is still officially six lanes and I'm not aware of any amendments being sent yet to the FHA to reduce it to four lanes.

per city staff (russell claus) the blvd design committee has pretty much decided that the Blvd will be 2 driving lanes in each direction and 1 outside parking lane in each direction ...

OKCisOK4me
02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
per city staff (russell claus) the blvd design committee has pretty much decided that the Blvd will be 2 driving lanes in each direction and 1 outside parking lane in each direction ...

What happened to the center median that was either going to accommodate for landscaping or future street car service?