View Full Version : Places to run/walk

hunnybunny10789
07-24-2010, 08:24 PM
We live in norther OKC near Bethany. I was wondering if anyone knew any descent places to go for a run. I was thinking around lake Hefner. If anyone has any good ideas of places like that to run or walk it would be a great help!

Pretty much a place to go walk or run were the fear of being mugged or jumped is not as high as going on a jog around Macarthur and 16th. :)

Midtowner
07-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Hefner's great for running. There are always plenty of people out on the trails, so being mugged really isn't something you have to worry about.

hunnybunny10789
07-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Hefner's great for running. There are always plenty of people out on the trails, so being mugged really isn't something you have to worry about.

Lol okay I was not to sure because my husband and I are new to the area thanks!

CCOKC
07-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Eldon Lyon Park on 36th between Rockwell and Council looks like a popular place to walk when I drive by on my way to work. I also enjoy Dolese park on 50th across from PC original. The track there is two miles. Not sure how long the one in Bethany is.

Eep
07-26-2010, 09:39 AM
At Lake Hefner there will almost always be enough people around that you won't have to fear being mugged or jumped, but don't ever leave anything even remotely worth stealing in your car there - break-ins are quite common. "Feeling safe" is a pretty personal thing so YMMV, but if I am running alone and it is dark (very early in the morning) I prefer to stay in residential areas until the sun rises. As long as it's light out, I feel safe running downtown (N of I-40), around Lake Overholser, and on the Oklahoma River trails (I park in the Chesapeake Boathouse lot).

rcjunkie
07-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Dolese Park at NW 50th and Meridian, unpaved trail (dirt), lots of shade trees.

Bigrayok
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I live in the Bethany area also and walk a lot. Lake Overholser is close and is a good place to walk or jog. I park at the Dam and walk to the boat house and back. The Route 66 Park on the west side of Lake Overholser has a good walking/jogging track. Eldon Lyon Park on 36th is a good suggestion. I like to start at Eldon Lyon and cross the street over to Woodlawn Park and walk on the street that circles the neighborhood. I enjoy the Lake Hefner trails including the pedestrian only trails that go back into the woods by the water. They are safe and you do not have to dodge cyclists. Believe or not, people walk and jog along the Bricktown Canal. Heritage Hills and Mesta Park just north of downtown have sidewalks that are fun to walk or run on. I hope this helps.

Bigray in Ok