View Full Version : Half Price Books coming to S. OKC

metro
07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted, I hadn't read it yet and I cannot for the life of me get the search feature to work very well on the new version of this website, searched through dozens of pages and still can't find threads I'm looking for.

Anyhow was reading the Oklahoma County Business transactions and Half Price Books leased 10,000+ sq ft of space in 240 Penn Park. Thought you southsiders would appreciate. That'll be 2 in the metro now.

In other findings, Toys R Us Express is coming to Rockwell Plaza and NW Expressway and Rockwell.

ourulz2000
07-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Nvm.

earlywinegareth
07-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Anyhow was reading the Oklahoma County Business transactions and Half Price Books leased 10,000+ sq ft of space in 240 Penn Park. Thought you southsiders would appreciate. That'll be 2 in the metro now.

Great but first someone's gotta teach us how to read lol!

Spartan
07-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Kind of a weird location for Half Price Books.

ljbab728
07-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Metro, it has been discussed previously in several other threads but it's worth bringing up again. I don't see anything at all weird about the location. It's in a high traffic retail district. It has many more cars passing by everyday than the location at May and 63rd and the access is reasonable.

Spartan
07-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Somewhere further south would be a nicer location. I just dislike that strip..they have a lot of car accidents on that I-240 feeder road.

fuzzytoad
07-23-2010, 10:49 PM
people still buy books printed on dead trees?

why do they hate the planet?

ljbab728
07-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Somewhere further south would be a nicer location. I just dislike that strip..they have a lot of car accidents on that I-240 feeder road.

I doubt if they just picked that location out of a hat. It has obvious visibility advantages for people traveling from all over South OKC. There are no design problems with the road in that area which cause accidents. It's just a high traffic area and, as such, will have more accidents. I guess they could have built it at 134th and Rockwell. Then there wouldn't be any accidents. LOL

Spartan
07-23-2010, 11:11 PM
No, but there are available spaces at 104th or 119th that would have been more ideal IMO.

ljbab728
07-23-2010, 11:15 PM
No, but there are available spaces at 104th or 119th that would have been more ideal IMO.

That might be true for people in far South OKC or Norman, where you are. But what about people who live in Midwest City or North of I240? They might not agree with you.

Spartan
07-23-2010, 11:59 PM
MWC Town Center.

ljbab728
07-24-2010, 12:04 AM
MWC Town Center.

Might be good for the 3rd OKC area location.

Spartan
07-24-2010, 12:29 AM
It would have been a better location for a 2nd location, too.

Architect2010
07-24-2010, 04:50 AM
I disagree Spartan and have to say that I'm one of those that live north of 240. I think people leave us out. 240 is a successful retail corridor and has rejuvinated in the past years. There's nothing wrong with it. Not everyone on the Southside wants to shop in the suburbs; actually, a lot don't. That's why the 240 corridor is thriving.

skyrick
07-24-2010, 06:34 AM

I do. I also buy music on vinyl, made from that horrible, horrible petroleum!

okcpulse
07-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Considering that tree farms are becoming the norm for resources, you may want to refute your statement.

PennyQuilts
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I love that store and the new location is relatively near my house. I am excited about it!

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/pir_bookstore-to-open-new-chapter-in-oklahoma-city-half-price-books-second-oklahoma-city-site-to-open--903373.html

Spartan
07-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I disagree Spartan and have to say that I'm one of those that live north of 240. I think people leave us out. 240 is a successful retail corridor and has rejuvinated in the past years. There's nothing wrong with it. Not everyone on the Southside wants to shop in the suburbs; actually, a lot don't. That's why the 240 corridor is thriving.

I assure you that 240 is not thriving because it is an urban alternative.

fuzzytoad
07-24-2010, 01:54 PM
I do. I also buy music on vinyl, made from that horrible, horrible petroleum!

hehe

ljbab728
07-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I assure you that 240 is not thriving because it is an urban alternative.

Spartan, despite I240's suburban appearance it is still not in a suburb. And it is more urban than what you are suggesting as better locations. When you suggest Midwest City as a better location, you are forgetting that the SW and West areas of OKC are growing faster and I240 is much more convenient. People in Yukon can get there faster than going to 63rd and May.

Spartan
07-24-2010, 11:16 PM
I am only suggesting a better development for a bookstore to go into, although Half Price Books isn't really picky about going into quality developments usually..

ljbab728
07-24-2010, 11:27 PM
I am only suggesting a better development for a bookstore to go into, although Half Price Books isn't really picky about going into quality developments usually..

True. They aren't looking for upscale. 63rd and May isn't a bad area but has been there for many years and is hardly upscale.

SoonerDave
08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
I was disappointed to hear that the only "taker" in whatever ongoing efforts might be underway to attract a bookstore to the south OKC Metro was Half Price Books.

In a word, bleeech.

I am hoping that the success of the new Crest at SW 104th and May will open someone's eyes to the opportunity that exists for other, similar retail establishments not just at that corner, but in the broader SW OKC area near that location.

We are long, long overdue for a Barnes and Noble in our area. It's ridiculous that the nearest such options are half a county away either at 63rd and May or in Norman. There were rumors about five years ago that B&N was considering going in on the east side of SW 104th and May, but that never materialized.

megax11
08-03-2010, 03:49 PM
About time us southsiders get some lovin'.

Seems people in Moore, Norman, northside, and Quail are spoiled and want everything to themselves, so us southsiders have to spend in their territory, which helps that territory flourish, while we go down the ****ter.

I like that we're also getting a Hobby Lobby, and I like how the owner of the 240 Penn Plaza said this -

"Negotiations with national tenants are under way to fill other vacancies at 240 Penn Park, including the former Santa Fe Cattle Co. and Circuit City, a 32,500-square-foot space, Inman said."

Maybe that Circuit City location, will be the home of one of the new Toys R Us expresses, that are being built around the metro (so far northside is the only one to have one).

Maybe Santa Fe will be a "better" restaurant.

flintysooner
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
We are long, long overdue for a Barnes and Noble in our area. It's ridiculous that the nearest such options are half a county away either at 63rd and May or in Norman. There were rumors about five years ago that B&N was considering going in on the east side of SW 104th and May, but that never materialized.Surely you realize the tentative nature of the book store business. BKS just today said it is studying putting itself up for sale and you can bet if they are saying it there has already been planning. Border's has been for sale for some time. The current big box book stores will have to change to survive if it is even possible.

jbrown84
08-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah I doubt Barnes & Noble is in expansion mode.

Spartan
08-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Looked like they were already open. That was fast. Looks like a much nicer store than N May actually.