View Full Version : another burglar bar fire

mranderson
03-02-2005, 06:46 AM
Early this morning, firefighters were called to another fatal fire. This time, at least four people were killed. What killed these people? Burglar bars.

This makes ten people who have died as a result of these hidiously ugly, unnecessary things. They are an ugly eyesore that inprisons people and devalues property.

There are two things I did this morning as I woke up. I read an important message on the computer then started listening to the news. This morning, I also woke up to this tragic news.

Personally I do not understand why people continue to place their lives in such jeopardy. These bars need to be totally banned. I am tired of these events occuring. I wish the legislature would place an emergency on the bill before them, but really totally ban these bars.

Personally, I do not like the fact that if I had a kid and they wanted to go to a freinds house that had these bars, I would have to say no. Not as long as those bars are there.

I estimate the following. The loss of life is obviously something you can not place a monetary value on. However, for the price of a funeral, you can buy an alarm system and have it monitored for the rest of your life. Plus, what are the odds of an alarm system costing you your life?

Ten lives, maybe more lost in six months due to these bars. When will it end?

My heart goes out to the family of these people. This day is not as bright as a result of this event.

Midtowner
03-02-2005, 06:59 AM
If living in a bad neighborhood, those bars are simply a reality. Oklahoma City has some horrible property crime statistics. While many can't afford the monthly payment to monitor an alarm, the bars can be an affordable alternative.

There should be some safety releases though for the bars.

mranderson
03-02-2005, 07:06 AM
If living in a bad neighborhood, those bars are simply a reality. Oklahoma City has some horrible property crime statistics. While many can't afford the monthly payment to monitor an alarm, the bars can be an affordable alternative.

There should be some safety releases though for the bars.

Let me see. Alarm system... Funeral... Which one do I choose... No, I will take the alarm system.

It is a shame that some people just can not understand a simple point.

Floating_adrift
03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
An even simpler point is cost. Some people simply cannot afford an alarm system.

I'm actually working on an invention (among several) that could save the lives of people that use burglar bars in the event of a fire. It looks like it will be very inexpensive (I'm hoping for around $25) and easy to use.

Patrick
03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
As Midtowner suggested, requiring safety releases would help. The way I see it, if a criminal really wants to rob a house though, they're going to get in regardless of whether there are burglar bars present.

I really tend to wonder just how much more expensive installing an alarm systemis over installing burglar bars. Burglar bars aren't cheap.

Midtowner
03-02-2005, 01:18 PM
As Midtowner suggested, requiring safety releases would help. The way I see it, if a criminal really wants to rob a house though, they're going to get in regardless of whether there are burglar bars present.

I really tend to wonder just how much more expensive installing an alarm systemis over installing burglar bars. Burglar bars aren't cheap.

It's not so much the cost as the monthly fee. It is true that someone will get in regardless, however, most criminals will pass on the tougher target for a much easier one. Imagine that you're a burglar -- do you rob the house with or without bars on it?

Floating_adrift
03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
I'd be willing to bet that they didn't have working fire alarms - just the basic ones that sound off when they sense smoke, no monthly fees, just a monthly battery check.

If they had those, I would think that they would have had enough warning to vacate in time.

Patrick
03-02-2005, 01:39 PM
It's not so much the cost as the monthly fee. It is true that someone will get in regardless, however, most criminals will pass on the tougher target for a much easier one. Imagine that you're a burglar -- do you rob the house with or without bars on it?

Subscribe to the service long enough to get the alarm. Cancel the service, but keep the alarm and stickers/signs. The stickers/signs deter burglars. The alarm still sounds when the house is robbed, to scare off burglars, it just isn't monitored.

Serves the same purpose for little cost. Monitoring a house usually isn't worthwhile anyways. By the time the police get there, the burglars are usually gone.

Keith
03-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Early this morning, firefighters were called to another fatal fire. This time, at least four people were killed. What killed these people? Burglar bars.

This makes ten people who have died as a result of these hidiously ugly, unnecessary things. They are an ugly eyesore that inprisons people and devalues property.

I had just sit down at my computer at 5:45 this morning, when this tragic news story came on. The news sent a cold chill down my spine. What was so sad, is that they found most all of the family members on the stairs.......dead......as they were trying to escape out of the front door on the first floor.

Had there not been burglar bars, they could have climbed out their upstairs windows.

I live in a pretty good area, however, there are many elderly that live by me that have burglar bars on their windows. All they want to do is feel safe, however, they don't think about having to escape a fire.

I don't have an answer for this, except what Floating_adrift is trying to invent...burglar bars that can be removed easily in case of fire. The problem is, many people panic when they have a fire, so they may not be coherent enough to remember how to release the bars, especially if the fire has woken them out of a deep sleep.