View Full Version : Post Office - No more stamp dispensers?

asta2
07-21-2010, 04:30 PM
So I can't remember the last time I even mailed a letter. I had to do that today unfortunately. I, of course, did not have a stamp so I thought I could just pop in stick a dollar in the machine and slip my letter into the slot. I looked and looked and there was no stamp machine. I had to get this letter mailed and I was already there so I got in line behind 10 other people. I waited for over 30 minutes to buy 1 stamp. I asked the one clerk and the only person who seemed to be in the building where the machine went. She said and I quote "Well if people would stop trying to break into them they would still be around." I'm trying to figure out why they want people in line for 30 minutes getting really irate to buy stamps. This just does not make any sense to me. Anyone else have a clue? (It wasn't like the machine was just in a repair state, it was gone completely and replaced with lockers. It was not coming back.)

kevinpate
07-21-2010, 08:07 PM
... "Well if people would stop trying to break into them they would still be around." ... )

Seems pretty clear to me. Cost of keeping the machine was too expensive due to ill mannered jackals.
Sadly, when you check the hunting regs, there doesn't seem to be any open season period on ill mannered jackals.
More's the pity.

bluedogok
07-21-2010, 08:17 PM
They got rid of them around here (Austin) a year or two ago, all of the post offices.
You have to buy from a person now...I guess some are trying to justify employment.

ljbab728
07-21-2010, 11:27 PM
The solution is simple. Just keep a few of the kind on hand that never expire because of rate increases. Hopefully you bought more than just one after standing in line that long.

Thunder
07-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Where in the world did you go to? You should've just gone to a 7-11, a quick in and out minute.

oneforone
07-22-2010, 05:45 AM
Every post office I have been lately has the replaced the stamp machines with automated mailing machines. The automated machine will allow you weigh whatever your mailing and buy exact dollar amount of postage you need for the item your mailing. You can also buy books of stamps through the postage machines. The only downside is you have to use a credit or debit card.

Kerry
07-22-2010, 06:58 AM
I had to get this letter mailed and I was already there so I got in line behind 10 other people. I waited for over 30 minutes to buy 1 stamp.

We buy stamps at the grocery store. I can get in line behind 5 people, all buying $200 worth of groceries, bag the groceries, buy the stamps, AND drive home faster than 10 people can buy stamps at the Post Office. Then people wonder why the post office is going out of business. Maybe the post office should get out of the retail market completely. Turn over in-store activities to the private sector and the only thing the post office does is drive the trucks and deliver the mail.

Laramie
07-22-2010, 07:20 AM
All of the local post offices and the two main ones downtown (across from OKC Memorial/formerly S.W. 3rd--now council) did away with the machines a year and a half ago.

Some convenience stores have machines (if they work) for .75 a stamp and lets face it e-mails are killing the post office; first they gave of the junk mail to independent carriers and now they are losing their bread & butter to e-mails.

Like one poster said, purchase a book of stamps that don't expire.

Those valueable post office jobs will become a thing of the past--goodbye civil service jobs in that segment of the industry. Packaging will be the main money maker for the U. S. Postal Services.

CuatrodeMayo
07-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Every post office I have been lately has the replaced the stamp machines with automated mailing machines. The automated machine will allow you weigh whatever your mailing and buy exact dollar amount of postage you need for the item your mailing. You can also buy books of stamps through the postage machines. The only downside is you have to use a credit or debit card.

Those machines seem to have vanished as well.

OKCisOK4me
07-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks to your story I won't have to deal with that kind of hassle. That is, if I ever actually need to mail something!

Bunty
07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Those machines seem to have vanished as well.

Guess the post office is trying yet harder to drive itself out of business. The price of stamps will soon go up again.

jstaylor62
07-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Last year, I had to go out of town on short notice, so I went to the post office after 5pm to get a Hold My Mail form. I went to 4 different post offices and never did find the forms available in the lobby. I now keep a stash available.

windowphobe
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
I order a couple of books of Forever Stamps from usps.com whenever I think I'm getting low.

And believe it or not, you can do a mail hold from the site; I did one before my last road trip.

kevinpate
07-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Norman still has one, and I hope it remains. The DT location lines move very slowly, so it is helpful to hit that machine and go about my merry lil way.

nighttrain12
08-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Last year, I had to go out of town on short notice, so I went to the post office after 5pm to get a Hold My Mail form. I went to 4 different post offices and never did find the forms available in the lobby. I now keep a stash available.

I believe you can put a hold on your mail online. Check at usps.com

ljbab728
08-21-2010, 11:23 PM
I believe you can put a hold on your mail online. Check at usps.com

You absolutely can do that. I've also used the website to set up a change of address.

metro
08-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah, I went to the post office the other day after 5pm to buy some stamps out of the machine since they close at 5pm so those of us who work during the day can't make a personal trip to the post office, only to find out they took out the machines. Went to 7-11 and their dispenser only sells one stamp at a time. Where does a person buy stamps if you can't get to the post office by 5pm?

Jersey Boss
08-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I went to the post office the other day after 5pm to buy some stamps out of the machine since they close at 5pm so those of us who work during the day can't make a personal trip to the post office, only to find out they took out the machines. Went to 7-11 and their dispenser only sells one stamp at a time. Where does a person buy stamps if you can't get to the post office by 5pm?

They think ahead and go on the weekend.

USG'60
08-24-2010, 05:55 PM
My grocery store sells them in the customer service window.

Okiezmom
08-31-2010, 09:15 PM
I've gotten stamps at Walgreen's when I didn't want to wait 30 minutes at the post office.

bombermwc
09-01-2010, 06:54 AM
You know you can get them online too. They don't charge you for shipping...hahahaa.

BBatesokc
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
7-11 charges a premium for their individual stamps (convenience charge). When I need stamps I buy a sheet at Sam's Club.

windowphobe
09-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Actually, they do charge you for shipping from usps.com, but it's not much: $1. (My usual order of two books of Forever stamps has always been billed that way.)

blangtang
09-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Walgreens has them by the book, much quicker than waiting in line at the P.O.

Bunty
09-06-2010, 10:41 PM
Walgreens has them by the book, much quicker than waiting in line at the P.O.
But are they priced higher than at the Post Office?

SoonerQueen
09-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I get my stamps at Sam's.I rarely use them though. I pay all my bills on line except for the paper boy and my storage locker.

blangtang
09-07-2010, 12:32 AM
But are they priced higher than at the Post Office?

I bought the 20 book of 'em and it was something like $8.60 ? what is the current stamp price lol? seemed to be the current price per x 20 , plus they were those inflation resistant stamps, not to be confused with miz dixie stampshttp://media.heavy.com/post_assets/2010/02/1612/1266340588_miz-dixie.jpeg