View Full Version : Why can't we get the city/state to mow ROW's?

metro
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Seriously. We go through this every year, but this year it's far worse. I've seen numerous highway ROW's and city ROW's with grass in excess of 3 ft! Why can't we get the city and ODOT to enforce the contractors they hire to mow these things regularly. ODOT issues out MILLIONS in contracts for highway ROW mowing and yet we're lucky if they get mowed 3 times a year.

blangtang
07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
eh, the grass will die before long

Architect2010
07-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Technically, the grass here doesn't die. It "hibernates" during the winter. Much like the trees lose their leaves. ;] But it does seem unusually bad this year, I've also seen tons of overgrown grass across the city. It's embarassing that they cannot get grass mowed.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
In Tulsa they are not doing any ROW mowing all year long, since they completely took it out of the city budget. ROW maintenance has been left up to private citizens, who have done a good job in the better parts of town, even mowing large parks, and then in the bad parts of town, you would not believe how high the grass is..

I don't know what the frequency of ROW mowing will be in OKC, but if it's still a month or more out, you could always grab your own lawn mower and help out.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 02:11 PM
With the amount of rain we've had, the grass has been growing unusually fast despite the higher temperatures. For example, my neighborhood mows every 2 weeks. By the end of the 2 weeks the grass next to my house but not on my property was 3 ft. tall and looked like it has been months since they mowed. I of course did mow some of it with my mower because it made my property look bad. But, sometimes the schedule they set out doesn't always work when the rainfall rates spike for a given period. Not really an excuse, I think they could do a better job. But that might be an explanation. I don't know what the rate of ROW mowing is for the city.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I've had to mow my yard twice a week. I was in NY for a week and a half and came back to see nasty notices from the City of Norman threatening to mow my yard for me and fine me. I was shocked since I was only gone a week and a half..

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2010, 03:25 PM
I've gone through a lot of states and I believe it was Georgia or someplace back east where instead of grass in the median of the interstate, they had some kind of hedge. It looked like it naturally grew to just 4 feet or so...IF that were the case, would sure be nice to get rid of some of that maintenance to have something like that in there.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
I've been on a 2x schedule also. Normally I only have to mow 1x weekly in the summer, and 2x weekly in the spring. It's drying out and slowing down though.

CuatrodeMayo
07-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Mowing such an expanse of grass seems a vast waste of resources. Why can't we just plant native vegetation and let it do its thing? Much like Arizona and New Mexico does.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Do they even have grass? I'm pretty sure the native vegetation is dirt around there...

kevinpate
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I've had to mow my yard twice a week. I was in NY for a week and a half and came back to see nasty notices from the City of Norman threatening to mow my yard for me and fine me. I was shocked since I was only gone a week and a half..

Have you ticked off a neighbor (or someone else who knows where you live) recently. Norman's code folk are not real big on going out to look for tall grass (or other matters) to give out notices about. It's near on always done after a specific complaint rolls in.

Mr T
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
The City began a "pro-active" program last year in the central Norman area. They are enlarging it this year. Carol Dillingham wants the Transcript to report before it expands - it is in her ward. They are looking for all sorts of code problems, not just grass. Paint, clapboards, driveways, etc.

Maybe Spartan lives in one of the pro-active areas. We're thinking our neighborhood might be one of the next three. We are trying to be pro-active on this as well, and have already begun to paint the house. We live right down the street from the Mayor and we had the worlds' largest Ezell sign out front. We think she's mad - she glares at us in the evening. We hoist our beers on high but she never smiles. I'm expecting Code Enforcement just as soon as they approve the extension.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Have you ticked off a neighbor (or someone else who knows where you live) recently. Norman's code folk are not real big on going out to look for tall grass (or other matters) to give out notices about. It's near on always done after a specific complaint rolls in.

Well, I'm just renting a place for the summer while I'm interning here, since I go to school so far away, and didn't want to crash at my parents' place. I think the people who lived here before me might have been running some kind of party house. That could very well explain it--the neighbors think they're bothering the people here before me. There was still two weeks left on the notice before I got any kind of fine (and I'd hate to see the grass in another 2 weeks), so it didn't really matter to me.

Although, I am pretty sure I'm in one of the proactive code enforcement areas as well. Considering it's walking distance to the municipal building, you wouldn't need a "proactive code enforcement" area in order for the city to get onto violations.

blangtang
07-20-2010, 06:01 PM
If you rent in Norman and get the stake with the red sign telling you about your "noxious weeds and growth" nuisance, you can ignore it and the city will come mow it and send your landlord a bill for about $250. I get them pretty much every year, but i own the place and make sure to stick the sign back in the yard after i mow. :)

dismayed
07-20-2010, 06:59 PM
I just assumed that due to the economy all the cities in the metro had reduced their maintenance budgets. It's not just OKC, it seems like they're all really letting the right of ways go. Also it seems like more trash is blowing around on the highways than in years past.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Blangtang..didn't know the fee did not effect the renter. It's still pretty embarrassing to have it on your house.

I just assumed that due to the economy all the cities in the metro had reduced their maintenance budgets. It's not just OKC, it seems like they're all really letting the right of ways go. Also it seems like more trash is blowing around on the highways than in years past.

Now THAT could just be due to people getting trashier.

kevinpate
07-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Well, unless one's landlord is responsible for keeping the grass trimmed (not always, or even usually, the case in free standing rental property), I'd expect any landlord so tagged to be looking to the tenant. Especially if the lease has some common language regarding who handles lawn care (typically the tenant in my past experiences.)

metro
07-21-2010, 07:54 AM
In Tulsa they are not doing any ROW mowing all year long, since they completely took it out of the city budget. ROW maintenance has been left up to private citizens, who have done a good job in the better parts of town, even mowing large parks, and then in the bad parts of town, you would not believe how high the grass is..

I don't know what the frequency of ROW mowing will be in OKC, but if it's still a month or more out, you could always grab your own lawn mower and help out.

As I stated, on the highways, ODOT issues out multi-million dollar contracts specifying the frequency along the highways and ODOT controlled roads. If we're paying for it, they need to be enforcing it. The City on the other hand, I can see them letting go some during tough times, but we should still try to get an official answer from the City.

Spartan, sorry but I live in a midrise downtown and have no need for a lawnmower nor a place to store one.

Mowing such an expanse of grass seems a vast waste of resources. Why can't we just plant native vegetation and let it do its thing? Much like Arizona and New Mexico does.

Pretty sure most of Arizona and New Mexico highway is desert and dry vegetation that requires very little water, and much of it is dirt and/or gravel with scrub brush.

http://www.milebymile.com/hwy_item_images/photo_US_NV_163_16287_2432.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR47ohlKjDHLXImruNTmV8LQRV4t68UG ygUG2Cg_kj5isC-Jys&t=1&usg=__Wt5SVM4C2QGLyMICdgQRWttv7W4=

Do they even have grass? I'm pretty sure the native vegetation is dirt around there...

Exactly, apples and oranges. Lots easier when you are almost zero scaping versus grasses that literally grow like a weed, especially since we get a good amount of rain here.

CuatrodeMayo
07-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Actually, the pictures you show are of the Phoenix area, a true desert.

I am refering to the high-elevation short-grass prairie areas that cover most of the route I-40 takes through both states. Those areas are not too different than western Oklahoma.

I propose allowing plants most associated with historical, natural vegetation of the area to repopulate the turf ROWs. A Xeriscape of sorts. in OKC, the result should be mixed-grass praire:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3863749013_13c8a92472.jpg

http://www.okatlas.org/okatlas/biotic/vegetation/lenihan.htm

There are already places along our interstate ROWs that utilize this type of landscaping, namely, in the form of wildflower planting areas. Like this:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/OKC%20road%20trip/IMG_7018a.jpg

or this:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff80/LadyRobyn/OKC%20road%20trip/IMG_7050a.jpg

Spartan
07-21-2010, 08:50 AM
We need to keep in mind that OKC is actually on the edge of a more temperate climate zone than the mixed grass prairie that receives more rainfall, so trees are actually somewhat native here..just as much as in Dallas or Wichita (possibly more so). One of our biggest needs as a community, as I've painfully realized during this stretch of extreme heat/humidity, is shade. It would even be nice to have shade on roads (ie, in Norman, Main, Flood, Boyd, etc)--planting trees in those medians and letting them grow out would be a great way of eliminating grass maintenance in the future, as well. In the meantime, during the years we're waiting for the trees to mature, it would be cool to plant some kind of bushes or tallgrass that would require less maintenance. I like the idea of short evergreen plants, such as in the median of Main Street by Sooner Mall, or in some Edmond medians I think. I think Tulsa just fills the median in 71st Street with wood chips, but I could be wrong..it does have some vegetation though.

Platemaker
07-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Highway medians are the last bastion for the grasslands. No biome in the world is more threatened. Let is go natural... and burn it occasionally instead of mowing.

Platemaker
07-21-2010, 11:10 AM
... and lots of rock.

Platemaker
07-21-2010, 11:25 AM
... and redbuds!!! If we wanted to we could have a redbud display in OKC on par with Washington's cherries.

rcjunkie
07-22-2010, 11:28 AM
The city of OKC is not responsible for mowing the right-of-ways within city limits, that's the property owner responsibility. The city wil come out mow/clear an intersection if theres a veiw obstruction.

metro
07-22-2010, 11:50 AM
So property owners are responsible to mow medians down Classen, NW Expressway, NW 39th, etc? Get real, that's city property.

rcjunkie
07-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Who's talking about medians, the thread is about right-of-ways?

PennyQuilts
07-23-2010, 06:45 AM
People, just get off your butt and mow in front of your house while you're out doing it, anyway. Geeze.

Might as well start getting used to reduced services, all over.

Comes to mind some years ago where some folks were mowing the divider along NW 19th street and got fussed at by the city (I heard). So I suppose you need to check. All the same, you'd see areas where the home owenres would keep it clean and pick up garbage from passing cars vs. other areas where the road could grow over before anyone living there would even notice. Not that they would do anything about it.

rcjunkie
07-23-2010, 08:30 AM
People, just get off your butt and mow in front of your house while you're out doing it, anyway. Geeze.

Comes to mind some years ago where some folks were mowing the divider along NW 19th street and got fussed at by the city (I heard). So I suppose you need to check. All the same, you'd see areas where the home owenres would keep it clean and pick up garbage from passing cars vs. other areas where the road could grow over before anyone living there would even notice. Not that they would do anything about it.

The reason the city was against this was because they wantd the homeowners association to formally adopt this area for maintenance (association refused), without this formal adoption, the City would/could be held liable if anyone was injured while mowing this area.

ronronnie1
07-23-2010, 05:31 PM
If you rent in Norman and get the stake with the red sign telling you about your "noxious weeds and growth" nuisance, you can ignore it and the city will come mow it and send your landlord a bill for about $250. I get them pretty much every year, but i own the place and make sure to stick the sign back in the yard after i mow. :)

I'm a landlord. My tenants are responsible for maintaining the lawns and bushes. If I was ever sent a notice/fine because the city cut the grass on my properties, I'd just add it to the rent.

In other words: Cut your damn lawn!

easternobserver
07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
better be careful...some cities are handing out tickets along with notices to cut your high weeds.

JayhawkTransplant
07-23-2010, 09:28 PM
As I stated, on the highways, ODOT issues out multi-million dollar contracts specifying the frequency along the highways and ODOT controlled roads. If we're paying for it, they need to be enforcing it. The City on the other hand, I can see them letting go some during tough times, but we should still try to get an official answer from the City.

Spartan, sorry but I live in a midrise downtown and have no need for a lawnmower nor a place to store one.

Pretty sure most of Arizona and New Mexico highway is desert and dry vegetation that requires very little water, and much of it is dirt and/or gravel with scrub brush.

http://www.milebymile.com/hwy_item_images/photo_US_NV_163_16287_2432.jpg

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR47ohlKjDHLXImruNTmV8LQRV4t68UG ygUG2Cg_kj5isC-Jys&t=1&usg=__Wt5SVM4C2QGLyMICdgQRWttv7W4=

Exactly, apples and oranges. Lots easier when you are almost zero scaping versus grasses that literally grow like a weed, especially since we get a good amount of rain here.

It's xeriscaping. I think Cuatrodemayo was pointing out that the City of OKC should employ xeriscaping where possible to cut down on maintenance. That does not mean we have to have desert conditions. Xeriscaping can be practiced anywhere. And it can be beautiful.

http://www.keepoklahomabeautiful.com/native-landscaping-xeriscaping

MGE1977
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
So, yes our system is facing a down year or so in funding, and cuts have to be made to projects like upkeep of ROW's.

We have this huge pool of money sucks occupying jail/prison cells, why can't we use them, make them "worth" something to us as a community?

Is there something wrong constitutionally (or otherwise) with chain gangs? Really we don't even need to put them on riders, just push mowers would suffice.

It seems to me that this would come with its own built in sort of rehabilitation. A summer of Oklahoma heat rising off the asphalt of our highways and byways might just deter future transgressions.

We could apply these chain gangs not only to ROW's but litter clean up, so on and so forth.

Surely there would be a liability issue for the government, but in comparison to what they already cost us maybe it would add up, especially those that the government practically owns,(those incarcerated for the long term). Who really cares if a ward of the state gets injured doing the work of the state to which they are indebted as it pertains to their sentences?

I'm really asking, can somebody answer this for me?

kevinpate
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm really asking, can somebody answer this for me?

For discussion, let's completely set aside any liability issues toward the injuries of incarcerated folks compelled to ROW's and medians, and also any liability issues should a chain ganger make a break and cause further harm to free society. In a tightened economy that's already seen a reduction in free society PD and FD service, what gets cut from where to use city inmates, who will need to be transported, guarded, etc.?

If county or state incarcerated folks are used, who pays for the guards, transport, etc. for them to come into any part of the metro to do their good turn to society?

Not quibbling on whether it can or should be done, but it wouldn't exactly be a freebie.

MGE1977
07-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Of course you are right, it would not be a freebie. It seems that tightened security is a nominal cost because they are already guarded, what is another hourly rate or few tacked on in the grand scheme of things. If though you are gaining something for your investment in baby sitter fees, and basically re educating a portion of society on how to live appropriately in said society, a return so to speak, isn't that better than just shelving them in a cell? I think even a time served rating to diminish the time we actually have to hold a lot of these criminals that are not headliners, just petty criminals would perhaps be motivation to do some good. We are becoming over run with people who are jailed because they have too many petty strikes, they are not law abiding, but they are not hardened miscreants either. Give them a trade, chores for a good report card and possible early parole.

Does being a ward of the state entitle one to greater injury/disablility benefits than your average city employee who would more than likely be hired part-time to do such jobs? A lot of the guys working the side of the road are not necessarily upstanding citizens in their own respects. Part-timers are just as likely to utilize injury/disability claims as any jailee might I should think.

As far as the legality and or liability issue, I guess I'm just wondering to what limits "debt to society" can be taken.

Again, sincerely asking, and thank you for your reply.

mugofbeer
07-24-2010, 04:56 PM

They do that now in front of my dads house - the neighborhood people mow - the city seems OK with it

kevinpate
07-24-2010, 06:06 PM
It's a fair amount of expense. Most of the places who house the petty strikers to the hardened are staffed at lower than desired to down right recognizably understaffed. Taking any of them out to the ROW oversight places others back at the ranch in a less desirable posture, forced guest and employee alike.

I don't disagree we tend to lock up many of those we're mad at and not just those we're afeared of. However, we do so because Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice and Bubba John and Frannie Sue all want them locked up. Those attempting to do anything less is a big ol suzzbucket of softy on crime and have strong credibility strikes on them. So lots of folks who could advocate other ideas take the path of lesser resistance to remaining in their jobs and we lock up more and more folk.

There would be a difference in a voluntary employee being injured on the job and a chain ganger being compelled to be in the near immediate path of an errant driver. One aspect to that would be the incarcerated have to volunteer and earn their way to a cahin gang, with the carrot being better bennies, time cut, etc.

Might work, but oh lawdy have mercy if one slips away somehow and takes down an innocent. Folks will want heads to be rolling since the slippery one wasn't caged up where they feel he should of been to begin with.

No easy answers, but yeah, it's good to ponder solutions to overcrowding and the expenses tied to incarcerating the stupid in beds that ought go to the scary.

hoya
07-26-2010, 10:19 AM
And yes, it's unconstitutional to use chain gangs.

easternobserver
07-26-2010, 04:59 PM
And yes, it's unconstitutional to use chain gangs.

No it isnt. That "interesting" guy out in Maricopa County uses them all the time.