View Full Version : How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City?

Pages : [1] 2

bdhumphreys
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
I posted this question on twitter, but thought this community might have some different ideas to offer:

How would you spend $25 million to improve the quality of life in Oklahoma City? #thinkbig

p.s. - the money is real, just a matter of deciding where best to spend it.

mOKCie
07-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I would give it back to the people who it was taken from. It's not nearly as efficient as simply not taking it from them in the first place, but there's nothing that can be done about that now. Since that probably isn't going to happen, I would pay down the debt because that is the greatest threat to the quality of life in OKC or anywhere else.

Kerry
07-20-2010, 11:49 AM
I would use it to expand the modern street car system to something other than an initial 6 mile starter system. I would connect Capitol Hill, OCU (using Classen Dr.), State Capitol, and WRWA via a downtown hub.

Kerry
07-20-2010, 11:51 AM
I would give it back to the people who it was taken from.

Why the assumption that it was taken from them unwillingly?

Spartan
07-20-2010, 12:27 PM
mOKCie--what debt are you talking about? We don't have a municipal debt. And I know you wouldn't be suggesting that the objective of a community quality of life initiative should be to pay down the federal debt, I know that nobody would ever be that dense.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

I would use the money to issue out loans to stimulate housing projects downtown, very similar to what Tulsa has done with the Vision 2025 Housing Fund. The fact of the matter is that we are not doing very well in terms of infill projects to compliment the big ones that we have going on right now, and all of our developers seem extremely intent on sitting on the sidelines and watching the big projects take place for the next few years. That needs to change. Tulsa got a LOT of infill projects done at the same time as the recession, and is keeping the momentum moving forward, by issuing out several loans out of a $10 mil pot. This would be a $25 mil pot, so it could have greater impact. The criteria would just be that no project can get more than 50% of its financing out of this, the loans must be paid back within 8 years, and the projects must be urban.

Imagine if we had something like this in place while the Cotton Exchange and Flatiron projects were still moving forward. Those projects would be near completion right now. Maybe we could also give OCU a loan to keep their downtown law school moving forward. The simple fact of the matter is that we need to find creative ways to invest in ourselves during this recession in order to keep downtown development, and the dream of a vibrant mixed-use environment, alive and well and not sidelined due to current economic constraints. Because we have MAPS 3 and all of those projects, I do not see where there is a certain project in particular that it would be nice to have.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
I would use it to expand the modern street car system to something other than an initial 6 mile starter system. I would connect Capitol Hill, OCU (using Classen Dr.), State Capitol, and WRWA via a downtown hub.

If we are going to WRWA, we might as well use something else besides a streetcar. We are talking 6-7 straight miles, possibly more if you use the grid system. Only way I'd put a streetcar on the route is if you went down Reno to Meridian and then Meridian down to the airport. You'd hit a lot of businesses and a lot of hotels. But that would cost an unrealistic amount of money and would take 30 minutes to get downtown from the airport. Some sort of a rail system that could go direct, and doesn't have a stop in between would be best. Heck, you might be able to tap on to the existing rail that goes down Newcastle Road.

Richard at Remax
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I'd put in a top golf

mOKCie
07-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Why the assumption that it was taken from them unwillingly?

Why the assumption it wasn't? Where do you think it came from? A donation would be far less likely than a federal grant. But, I digress. We can speculate or defer to the source of the thread.

Blair, where does it come from?

bdhumphreys
07-20-2010, 01:23 PM
Blair, where does it come from?

Voter approved sales tax. I promise to give more details later, but for now I am interested in hearing more ideas.

Btw, giving it back is a legitimate idea...

metro
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd rather see some beautification along our major corridors, I-40 through the center city, Broadway Ext. from I-44 to downtown, NW 23rd from Classen west to I-44. I-44 from SW 44th to Hefner Parkway. NW Expressway from Classen to Rockwell. The remaining money I'd like to see expand the streetcar system.

mOKCie
07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
mOKCie--what debt are you talking about? We don't have a municipal debt. And I know you wouldn't be suggesting that the objective of a community quality of life initiative should be to pay down the federal debt, I know that nobody would ever be that dense.

I should have asked Blair for a clarification on the source of the $25 million instead of speculating myself. In the scenario the money is a federal grant, in whatever benevolent disguise it comes in, it should never have been borrowed/taxed in the first place and it would be better for the quality of life in this city, state, and country if it goes back from whence it came. In the scenario it is actually city money that originated in the city or it is a private gift, I posted too soon.

blangtang
07-20-2010, 01:36 PM
free admission to White Water Bay when the temp is above 90 degrees.

if that doesnt work, the money should be given to Devon Energy for the sole purpose of erecting a 200 foot tall cross atop their tower once its finished. That'd put us on the map!

bdhumphreys
07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I should have asked Blair for a clarification on the source of the $25 million instead of speculating myself. In the scenario the money is a federal grant, in whatever benevolent disguise it comes in, it should never have been borrowed/taxed in the first place and it would be better for the quality of life in this city, state, and country if it goes back from whence it came. In the scenario it is actually city money that originated in the city or it is a private gift, I posted too soon.

Rather than allow this to become an exercise in bad riddle-making, I won't get into anymore details, but you have not necessarily replied too soon. That said, I hope people will participate in the exercise at whatever level of abstraction is necessary to alleviate their conscience. Another debate on taxes and the appropriate role of the federal government will ruin all the fun.

mOKCie
07-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Voter approved sales tax. I promise to give more details later, but for now I am interested in hearing more ideas.

I would devote all of it to planning/starting a major rail hub and planning/acquiring all necessary routes. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If we don't think big on this from the beginning, we are doomed to failure.

oakhollow
07-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Make a MidTown or Automobile Alley a top notch restaurant/nightlife area. Develop restaurants with fun atmospheres and great food that turn into places for nightlife and socializing later in the night.

earlywinegareth
07-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Buy coats for every schoolchild. That will prevent having to cancel school when it's too cold for kids to stand outside waiting for the bus b/c their parents don't/can't dress them appropriately.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Make a MidTown or Automobile Alley a top notch restaurant/nightlife area. Develop restaurants with fun atmospheres and great food that turn into places for nightlife and socializing later in the night.

That could be cool. Would have to be very careful to not put Bricktown out of business while you do it. Make it a stress reliever/secondary option to The Brick, but don't make it better than Bricktown unless you want to see Bricktown fall on it's ass.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 02:07 PM

development loans.

fuzzytoad
07-20-2010, 02:12 PM
lottery tickets

blake
07-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Startup capital for best business venture proposals.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 02:30 PM
lottery tickets

*Supports Oklahoma education. :)

OKCNDN
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Finally, a $25 million, world-class gentleman's club in Bricktown.:bright_id

I would use it to finish the I-40 corridor as soon as possible and re-do the I-40/I-44 bridges to allow for more lanes especially those that go under and south. Two lanes just isn't enough.

SkyWestOKC
07-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Finally, a $25 million, world-class gentleman's club in Bricktown.:bright_id

I would use it to finish the I-40 corridor as soon as possible and re-do the I-40/I-44 bridges to allow for more lanes especially those that go under and south. Two lanes just isn't enough.

Best idea I have heard so far. The I-40/I-44 junction is terrible. No point having that new I-40 section if it bottlenecks at I-40/I-44.

oakhollow
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
SkyWest, I dont think a new area would take anything away from Bricktown. I graduated in May from OU and am originally from OKC and know that most kids straight out of college and a couple of years out never think about going out in Bricktown unless were going to a concert at Wormy Dog or Thirsty Thursday at the ballpark. The people you see out on Western are a lot different from those you'd see out in Bricktown and for the most part a lot younger.

abrcr99
07-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I agree with the development loans.

But, since all of Oklahoma City is always wishing for some upscale retail, I guess it could always be used to help lure some stores that Oklahoma does not have like:

Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom's
Ikea
etc....

Mesta Parker
07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Surprised none of the local preservationists have suggested donating the money to Sandridge to upgrade the India Temple and KerMac buildings since we have been hearing for the last several months those buildings are vital to the quality of life in OKC.

windowphobe
07-20-2010, 05:11 PM
If anyone's curious - and why should you be? - this is what I tweeted earlier:

Give $1 million to John Whetsel to go away and put the rest toward redesigning the bus routes.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Surprised none of the local preservationists have suggested donating the money to Sandridge to upgrade the India Temple and KerMac buildings since we have been hearing for the last several months those buildings are vital to the quality of life in OKC.

Again, development loans. SR could put the buildings up for sell and let the free market turn that area of downtown into a vibrant, mixed-use district. The buildings could qualify for up to 50% in municipal loans, that would have to be paid back to the city in 8 years..and the city could then turn around and reissue the money once it is repaid. The gift that keeps on giving.

I agree with the development loans.

But, since all of Oklahoma City is always wishing for some upscale retail, I guess it could always be used to help lure some stores that Oklahoma does not have like:

Neiman Marcus
Nordstrom's
Ikea
etc....

This also is a good idea. Apparently somebody has been following the ULI report..

OKCMallen
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Startup capital for best business venture proposals.

Great one!

Easy180
07-20-2010, 07:01 PM

heck yeah...25 bucks per person would be life changing for sure

Spend it all making the area around I 40 and Bricktown look even nicer...We need that area to be our crown jewel for folks to stop off and spend

TexaSooner
07-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Living in Houston I see a lot of similarities between Houston and OKC, obviously on a different proporotion. That said, my ideas come from many of the successful developments from Downtown Houston.

1) Subsidy to attract growing energy or engineering firms to downtown. (ie higher salaries, more jobs, more tax dollars)
2) Subsidy for convention center hotel
3) Entertainment - Downtown Aquarium would be a great addition to bricktown/ or riverfront
4) Retail/Entertainment - Subsidy for retail/entertainment development, with office/ residential incorporated. (Think Houston Pavilions)

I admire what OKC has accomplished in the last 10-15 years and look forward to the developments from the latest MAPS!

Larry OKC
07-20-2010, 09:44 PM
mOKCie--what debt are you talking about? We don't have a municipal debt. And I know you wouldn't be suggesting that the objective of a community quality of life initiative should be to pay down the federal debt, I know that nobody would ever be that dense. ...

Do you want to explain what you mean by that?

Larry OKC
07-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Again, development loans. SR could put the buildings up for sell and let the free market turn that area of downtown into a vibrant, mixed-use district. The buildings could qualify for up to 50% in municipal loans, that would have to be paid back to the city in 8 years..and the city could then turn around and reissue the money once it is repaid. The gift that keeps on giving.

This also is a good idea. Apparently somebody has been following the ULI report..

But I thought you were against corporate welfare? And IIRC correctly, the ULI folks said it will take $40M just to get ONE of the mentioned stores. Bass Pro anyone?

Spartan
07-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Larry--going to assume you're about to bring up bond issues, which are indeed debt. However I view this differently because keeping up on our debt service is one of the first things that is always factored into our city budgets. That's why we have just about the highest credit rating out of cities in the country.

What I meant by the remark is that we don't have an operating deficit of any kind. (state law)

But I thought you were against corporate welfare? And IIRC correctly, the ULI folks said it will take $40M just to get ONE of the mentioned stores. Bass Pro anyone?

Good point, but I would hope that any kind of money thrown at a Nordstroms or Bloomingdale's comes with a great explanation of how we will get that money back in some form, and I would hope in more than just sales tax revenues. With development loans, the city would be repaid the money in total.

P.S. You just made a funny, you said "if I remember correctly correctly"

JIMBO
07-20-2010, 10:24 PM
$25,000,000 in my bank account would definently improve my quality of life.

Larry OKC
07-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Spartan, thanks for clarifying and am in agreement...my "funny" was unintentional but thank for noticing...LOL

onthestrip
07-20-2010, 10:29 PM

I believe you are correct. At that particular ULI presentation I remember the number even being $45 million for what it would take to lure a Neiman or Nordstroms. Not money well spent.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I believe you are correct. At that particular ULI presentation I remember the number even being $45 million for what it would take to lure a Neiman or Nordstroms. Not money well spent.

I think that what we need is more analysis on the issue. How many sales tax revenues would a Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's bring in? There is no way to tell right now what an elevated retail field would do here. There are no precedents.

We could be talking about getting shoppers from all new demographics..
--people at conventions
--people from OKC who shop in Dallas
--people from OK, KS, TX Pan, AR who would travel
--people driving through

If we could come close to breaking even, in my opinion, it would be worth it--as long as we could be guaranteed it would be a regular store, and that it wouldn't close for a very long time. The idea is that we'd be paying for the name recognition and what it would add to our city's profile, similar to how we subsidize the NBA because of how it elevates us as a community.

CuatrodeMayo
07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
Use it in conjunction with the MAPS3 money targeted for trails and sidewalks to develop an alternative mobility network. Basically this would work to establish a pedestrian/bicycle links to centers of interest throughout the inner city. This area would be bounded by I-35 on the east, I-44 on the north and west, and I-240 on the south and would include connections across these interstate barriers (trying getting to Penn Square Mall on foot/bike from downtown).

The project would encourage the connectivity of urban neighborhoods, shopping districts, & public areas. This area could also be served with increased public transit density in the form of a improved bus system followed by an expansion of the new rail system in the future.

While I expect this in the far reaches of our city, I am consistently amazed at how pedestrian-unfriendly even our inner-city neighborhoods are.

Kerry
07-21-2010, 10:53 AM
One thing I am noticing is the difference in people's ideas related to cause and effect. Money is best spent on the 'cause' side of the equation. The best ideas I have heard so far are 1) loans for in-fill development and 2) exansion of the street car system (and forget the link to WRWA - another poster was right - it needs to be something other than streetcar to WRWA).

As for in-fill loans - there would have to be some pretty strict guidelines on what is considered in-fill. I would hate to see SR take a $10 million tax payer funded loan to make the SR Commons project a reality.

SkyWestOKC
07-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Kerry, reverse it around. What about a $10 million dollar grant to restore the buildings? Or at least one of them? Not trying to turn this into another SandRidge debate, just tossing out the idea. Keep everything not related to that question in the other thread.

Platemaker
07-21-2010, 11:27 AM
ALL streetcar!

Kerry
07-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Kerry, reverse it around. What about a $10 million dollar grant to restore the buildings? Or at least one of them? Not trying to turn this into another SandRidge debate, just tossing out the idea. Keep everything not related to that question in the other thread.

I had come up with an idea long ago to encourage high-rise development via a freeze in propery taxes. Something similar could be done here. Loan amounts would be based on the total sq footage of any redevelopment as long as the redevelopment replace at least 75% of existing sq footage (regardless of condition). For example. If you have a 100,000 sq foot building that is in some state of disrepair - you could tear it down to the ground as part of the redevelopment but you would have to build back 75,000 sq feet. The more you build the more you could borrow or get a better interest rate. If you have 100,000 sq feet and turn it into 150,000 sq feet then you could use the loan to cover a higher percentage of the development cost than someone only building 75,000 sq feet. I hope that makes sense.

Spartan
07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I had come up with an idea long ago to encourage high-rise development via a freeze in propery taxes. Something similar could be done here. Loan amounts would be based on the total sq footage of any redevelopment as long as the redevelopment replace at least 75% of existing sq footage (regardless of condition). For example. If you have a 100,000 sq foot building that is in some state of disrepair - you could tear it down to the ground as part of the redevelopment but you would have to build back 75,000 sq feet. The more you build the more you could borrow or get a better interest rate. If you have 100,000 sq feet and turn it into 150,000 sq feet then you could use the loan to cover a higher percentage of the development cost than someone only building 75,000 sq feet. I hope that makes sense.

Would you propose that with the $25 million?

To me, the point is that we just need to do something that can get some projects going WHILE we're working on this huge Project 180/Devon/MAPS 3/etc change that is causing so many developers to sit out. There is a real need to keep the momentum over, though, so that we aren't in the situation of "starting all over" with real estate development market that has been stagnant for a long period of time.

OKCisOK4me
07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I skipped over all the replies to make sure my idea was original. Kinda hard to do when you're looking for the end using only your peripheral vision!

Here's my idea: Put it toward fire & police/emergency services. That way all the anti Maps 3 whinos will quit griping and the rest of us can be comfortable knowing that we should be protected a little bit better from all the bad that happens.

OKCisOK4me
07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
That could be cool. Would have to be very careful to not put Bricktown out of business while you do it. Make it a stress reliever/secondary option to The Brick, but don't make it better than Bricktown unless you want to see Bricktown fall on it's ass.

That's pretty easy to do. All you do is target the 30-40 year old crowd. This may be the land of young married couples but there area also plenty of still single or freshly divorced guys n' gals in this age range who are finding themselves again. Not to mention that this area is pretty much for well to do career oriented minds. Bricktown is aimed more as a touristy/family oriented entertainment district. I'm 32 and I don't go to Bricktown unless I absolutely have to. We just don't like dealing with all the 21-25 year olds (like we used to once be). Plus, Bricktown lost it's edge.

OKCMallen
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
That's pretty easy to do. All you do is target the 30-40 year old crowd. This may be the land of young married couples but there area also plenty of still single or freshly divorced guys n' gals in this age range who are finding themselves again. Not to mention that this area is pretty much for well to do career oriented minds. Bricktown is aimed more as a touristy/family oriented entertainment district. I'm 32 and I don't go to Bricktown unless I absolutely have to. We just don't like dealing with all the 21-25 year olds (like we used to once be). Plus, Bricktown lost it's edge.

Indeed. I'd take a couple of places and move them up to Midtown and be super happy.

OKCisOK4me
07-21-2010, 02:58 PM
One thing I am noticing is the difference in people's ideas related to cause and effect. Money is best spent on the 'cause' side of the equation. The best ideas I have heard so far are 1) loans for in-fill development and 2) exansion of the street car system (and forget the link to WRWA - another poster was right - it needs to be something other than streetcar to WRWA).

As for in-fill loans - there would have to be some pretty strict guidelines on what is considered in-fill. I would hate to see SR take a $10 million tax payer funded loan to make the SR Commons project a reality.

Yes, I'm positive this was discussed in that long forgotten (thank God) Union Station thread. I proposed light rail heading south along the ROW of BNSF across the Oklahoma River then west along the Stillwater Central Rail line that as a previous poster mentioned (runs along Newcastle Road). I don't know how much it would cost to buy ROW property and lay new tracks but it would be a huge benefit because there will never be enough parking in front of WRWA. And if new tracks weren't laid, then they could do it how the new light rail system works down in Austin. Run light rail from 6am to 10pm and then run freight trains through the area overnight therefore eliminating any possible collisions.

okcboy
07-21-2010, 03:02 PM
Outdoor Amphitheatre at the Downtown Airpark

windowphobe
07-21-2010, 04:41 PM
It doesn't hurt that debt service is covered, not by sales-tax revenue, but by the city's small cut of the county property tax (usually in the vicinity of 16 mills). Property taxes aren't soaring, unless you just bought a house, but they didn't flatline the way sales taxes did.

Larry OKC
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Outdoor Amphitheatre at the Downtown Airpark

Do we need another amphitheater? We are getting one in the Myriad renovations and a larger one in the MAPS 3 Park.

SkyWestOKC
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
And some sort of theatre at the Devon HQ.

cjohnson.405
07-22-2010, 07:22 AM
OKC is desperate for a vibrant business community and needs to figure out how to keep talent from moving to Dallas. I like the idea of supporting new startups but also funding a business incubator in downtown and mentor/guide program to help young businesses avoid failure.

okcboy
07-22-2010, 05:53 PM
A real amphitheatre like this. Those aren't much more than the water stage at the MBG.
http://www.vzwamp.com/

Urban Pioneer
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
I would devote all of it to planning/starting a major rail hub and planning/acquiring all necessary routes. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. If we don't think big on this from the beginning, we are doomed to failure.

We're already doing that. The HUB Study will be done in March. If "acquiring" means right-of-way acquisition, we have most of what we need. We could probably always use more than the $10 mil in MAPS to fulfill whatever comes out of the hub study though.

Larry OKC
07-23-2010, 02:14 AM
Complete the still unfinished Canal that was started with the original MAPS.

Mayor Norrick stressed in an "open letter to the voters" before the election that it was essential that the Canal link the Convention Center to Bricktown to the River. He repeated the thought during the 10 anniversary and announced possible expansion plans for the Canal (connectivity is crucial).

We only got the middle segment (no beginning, no end). Reportedly the $3M(?) "extension" to connect to the River is funded under the 2007 General Obligation Bond issue but isn't scheduled to be done until 2018(?). The extensions really need to physically connect with the existing canal. According to the rendering that was in the Oklahoman, the River segment comes close to connecting but misses it by "that much". If there is any money left over after finishing the originally promised Canal, additional extensions (as proposed before MAPS 3 was announced could be considered as well ($25M)

The City/Chamber has said repeatedly that everything that was promised under MAPS happened "exactly as they said it would". It is far past time to rectify that.

Watson410
07-23-2010, 07:52 AM
WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM somewhere DOWNTOWN.

OKCisOK4me
07-23-2010, 08:34 AM
WORLD CLASS AQUARIUM somewhere DOWNTOWN.

Adventure District. It'd be out of place downtown...

Watson410
07-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah your probably right.. Adventure District would be okay too.. I just want to see a really nice aquarium in OKC.

Cid
07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
For true quality of life improvements...

A complete overhaul of Lake Hefner public spaces:

Add more trees, walking trails, biking trails, centralized and peripheral parking, and infrastructure for some truly unique facilities like high/medium/low intensity mountain biking, kayaking pools, radio control boat and wildlife areas, outdoor amphitheater for plays and concerts.

Think central park meets breckenridge meets windsurfing lagoon meets new surprises around every walking trail bend.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112685289982852675648.00048c110a4e8a7fc1850&ll=35.585921,-97.594643&spn=0.051164,0.076818&t=h&z=14

Cid