View Full Version : New parking meters in Bricktown a waste of taxpayer's money!

Downtowner405
07-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I've never been critical of parking issues in Bricktown as I understand that most major downtowns and entertainment districts have pay to play parking. Fine. However, several years ago I had an unusual opportunity when two former mayors, Kirk Humphreys (then an incumbent) and Ron Norrick both asked me at the same time what I thought would be a considerable improvement in Bricktown.

Please keep in mind this was at the opening of the Bricktown Canal in July 1999. But without hesitation I answered that centralized parking meters on the streets would be a major improvement. The current meters only allow parking for up to 2 hours. And I figured that if Bricktown were to develop as an entertainment and mixed used destination, why limit the parking to a mere 2 hours. Let the visitors decide how long they want to stay, which in turn determines how much they pay to park.

We even have these meters in the downtown business district. But this morning I drove into Bricktown and found new meters that take credit cards as well as coins, which is nice. But these new meters still limit parking to 2 hours! This is ludacris and a total waste of taxpayers' money! So now, the city incurs charges from Visa/MC, thereby actually losing money on each transaction (albeit a small one), but they've done nothing to promote longer stays in Bricktown!

OKCisOK4me
07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Don't you know? It's so they can ticket them when they don't come back out to pay for another 2 hours. How else are they going to make money?

Kerry
07-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Please keep in mind this was at the opening of the Bricktown Canal in July 1999. But without hesitation I answered that centralized parking meters on the streets would be a major improvement. The current meters only allow parking for up to 2 hours. And I figured that if Bricktown were to develop as an entertainment and mixed used destination, why limit the parking to a mere 2 hours. Let the visitors decide how long they want to stay, which in turn determines how much they pay to park.

I am sure the 2 hour limit is to prevent employees from parking in these spaces but who cares who parks in them as long as they are paying for the parking. If these meters are networked they need to develope a cell phone app that will let you see how much time is left on your meter, send you a reminder when you 15 minutes left, and even let you add time to your meter. If they wanted to take it to the next step they could even send out a text message when a spot opens up or is about to open based on meter time expiration. If they wanted to kick it up another notch, they could give discounts for frequent parkers (park 20 hours, get a free hour).

Downtowner405
07-16-2010, 03:03 PM
I just learned that these meters were actually not paid for by OKC. So that's fine. Nevertheless, the salient issue I have with them is that they really do not do anything to promote longer stays in Bricktown. Also, with regard to employees parking in those spots, if you figure the average shift is 6 hours, with centralized meters dialed in at the current rates of $.50 per hour, the employee ends up paying $3 minimum (more for shifts longer than 6 hours).

In reality, most employees are not going to pony up to park at meters. Most are going to find the free or $1 parking. So the argument about limiting the meters to 2 hours for the sake of the employees doesn't wash.

Also, the city could probably raise revenue by dialing in the meters at a slightly higher rate if they offered users the opportunity to determine how long they wish to stay. To me, more flexibility means increased revenues to the city and longer stays in Bricktown.

skyrick
07-16-2010, 03:23 PM
Why not free parking? In downtown Ft Worth all public parking is free after 6pm weekdays, and all day Sat & Sun. This includes all street parking with meters and 3 humongus parking garages.

Downtowner405
07-16-2010, 03:45 PM
The metered parking is not enforced after 6pm as it is. And to me that's also a mistake since the city is missing out on revenues that could be generated during prime time. And forget about the surface lots. They're privately owned and there's no reason those guys would give away parking - unless it were to be sponsored.

For example, a large corporation could come in and pay the private owners X amount of dollars to offer free parking on their lots in exchange for community visibility. Then you'd have something.

But that's a deal for the Bricktown Association, which couldn't care less.

kevinpate
07-16-2010, 06:04 PM
They are so many places to park in/near BT for no fee, I'm not at all convinced it matters when the meters are used, or for how long.

Spartan
07-16-2010, 06:47 PM
Encouraging people to stay longer and spend more money in Bricktown should be the priority over the opportunity to issue parking tickets. I sometimes think the city looks at Bricktown funny like it's some kind of strange opportunity to bank on parking tickets. It's patently obvious that City Hall doesn't get the concept of an urban neighborhood..

jbrown84
07-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't see it as a big deal. There will always be people that are just down there to eat, and 2 hours is plenty of time for them. Others planning to stay longer can use other parking locations.

I sometimes think the city looks at Bricktown funny like it's some kind of strange opportunity to bank on parking tickets.

It's almost a Valley Brook mentality.

Spartan
07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
It's almost a Valley Brook mentality.

Ha, that's a new expression. I didn't realize they had thinkers in Valley Brook (in order to have a mentality)..

BOBTHEBUILDER
07-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Encouraging people to stay longer and spend more money in Bricktown should be the priority over the opportunity to issue parking tickets. I sometimes think the city looks at Bricktown funny like it's some kind of strange opportunity to bank on parking tickets. It's patently obvious that City Hall doesn't get the concept of an urban neighborhood..

Now its obvious to someone besides me. City hall doesnt have a clue.