View Full Version : If Oklahoma is one of the country’s most religious states, why preach to the choir?

urbanity
07-15-2010, 08:42 AM
http://www.okgazette.com/p/12776/a/6748/Default.aspx?ReturnUrl=LwBkAGUAZgBhAHUAbAB0AC4AYQB zAHAAeAAslashAHAAPQAxADIANwAyADkA

Bunty
07-15-2010, 09:02 AM
Because they need a lot of preaching at, still, what with that anti gay Baptist Preacher from Tulsa going off on a toot to OKC and getting arrested after trying to fool around with an undercover officer at a homosexual resort. I have my doubts, though, if preaching cures hypocrisy. Even if they were to establish their own theocracy, I wouldn't trust them to practice what they preach.

mugofbeer
07-15-2010, 12:36 PM
So one person out of a billion or so Christians has turned you off the religion? In your mind each and every Christian minister and priest is a closet homosexual and hypocrite?

Using your logic, I guess the one medical pot dispensary in Colorado that was busted for giving out forged Dr.'s approvals has turned you off medical pot, too. Seems to me there aren't enough excuses to make for you to support legalizing pot. But hey, if one strays from the flock, they are all hypocrites.

If you aren't Christian, just say so. I'm not Christian but I respect anyone's right to be such and won't criticize them for being religious. Far more people in the world are religious than aren't. Making absurd blanket statements like the one above only diminishes your own integrity.

circled9
07-15-2010, 01:59 PM
The State as well as the World would be far better off reading and following the Words of Jesus as written in the Gospels. Unfortunately, many wish to take a verse in another portion of the Bible out of context to support a certain view they have of the world. Maybe we need more Jesus People and fewer Religious People.

mugofbeer
07-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Seems to be the case for most of the world's religions. We wouldn't have radical Islamists committing the butchery they do (even against other Muslims) if it weren't for radical imams making radical interpretations of the Koran.

OKCisOK4me
07-15-2010, 05:20 PM
The State as well as the World would be far better off reading and following the Words of Jesus as written in the Gospels. Unfortunately, many wish to take a verse in another portion of the Bible out of context to support a certain view they have of the world. Maybe we need more Jesus People and fewer Religious People.

Why do we need the words of Jesus as written in the gospels? Why can't we just live by the examples that our parents teach us to live? We know in our hearts what it means to be good & those that are taught bad aren't interested in the bible or probably any other religion unless they get motivated into joining a group while in prison. Religion is so overrated... That's why this state is so screwed up, what with teens getting pregnant, abortion issues, homophobic tendencies, and the highest divorce rate of any state in the nation. Talk about living by the book!

urbanity
07-29-2010, 07:43 AM
http://okgazette.com/article/07-28-2010/An_Edmond-based_religious_nonprofit_caught_the_attention_of_ a_national_organization_for_the_separation_of_chur ch_and_state.aspx

kevinpate
07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Some have opined it serves to aid their short attention spans.

bluedogok
07-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Why can't we just live by the examples that our parents teach us to live?
Unfortunately too many parents are bad examples and really do nothing to "raise" their children. My wife has seen it for many years working in the affordable housing world and running a ministry at one of the Austin public housing apartment communities. Some people "need" guidance from some place else if they don't have a good foundation underneath them.