View Full Version : Why not bring NBA Summer League basketbal/training camp to Oklahoma City?

Laramie
07-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Hosting the NBA Summer League training/basketball camp in Oklahoma City at the Cox Convention Center or Thunder's new training facility would be a nice addition to boosting a future event to Oklahoma City's economy.

We are centrally located from both coasts with an abundance of NBA teams in surrounding areas (Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Atlanta Minneapolis, Phoenix).

Does anyone see any drawbacks or advantages to getting one of the summer league basketball training/basketball camps to relocate here or establishing our own?

wallyboy75
07-13-2010, 02:36 PM
I totally agree with you, if we have enough hotel rooms to host everybody.

ljbab728
07-13-2010, 10:22 PM
I certainly don't see any drawbacks for OKC but I think it's unlikely to happen even if we wanted it. The current leagues are in the tourist meccas of Las Vegas and Orlando. That's not an accident. OKC would probably have to offer major bucks to get something like that and I don't think that's likely.

bombermwc
07-14-2010, 10:01 AM
Not an accident....i thought the public couldn't attend these games and they were media only???

If you look at the facilities they play in, they aren't in arenas, they're in practice gyms.

ljbab728
07-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Not an accident....i thought the public couldn't attend these games and they were media only???

If you look at the facilities they play in, they aren't in arenas, they're in practice gyms.

I didn't say the public could attend. I was meaning that the players themselves probably prefer that along with the media that's attracted. If all they were looking for was a gym they could be having the games in Lawton.

tulsooner
07-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes, the public can attend these games. I went to the games in Vegas last summer ($25). They were held in the Thomas & Mack Arena and the Cox Pavilion. The Cox Pavilion is a much smaller facility that is connected to the Thomas & Mack. The Ford Center and Cox Center would work perfect for Summer League games.

Laramie
07-17-2010, 03:51 PM
I noticed that the Orlando Summer (8 teams) League is media and special guests; whereas, the Las Vegas Summer (23 teams) League (as tulsooner mentioned) charges admission and also accommodates the media.

Orlando & Las Vegas League Link: http://www.nba.com/summerleague2010/standings/