View Full Version : Doug Sauter, head coach for the Barons?

GoThunder
07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I feel like this would be a smart move for the new team. Is it even possible?

Of Sound Mind
07-13-2010, 09:15 AM
I hope not.

Laramie
07-13-2010, 09:21 AM
I felt the same way last season when John Brooks' name was being used as a possible (come-out-of-retirement) candidate for the Thunder's Fox Oklahoma telecasts/broadcasts.

Doug has paid his dues and would have nothing to gain coaching the Barons.

This is a new era of Oklahoma City hockey and too many times we would love to bring a part of the past with us.

Let's bring in this new era with a new coach. Look northeast to the WNBA Tulsa Shock hiring (mainly PR purposes) Nolan Richardson and you can see what a disaster this will put on his legacy.

Doug is one I want to remember as one of the greatest coaches in Oklahoma City Blazer history.

StormFan93
07-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Let's bring in this new era with a new coach. Look northeast to the WNBA Tulsa Shock hiring (mainly PR purposes) Nolan Richardson and you can see what a disaster this will put on his legacy.

Give the guy a break. He's coaching what amounts to an expansion team. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Laramie
07-13-2010, 12:20 PM
In fairness to Richardson, he has never coached a WNBA franchise and the Shock were in Detroit with the history for winning WNBA championship; so I wouldn't put them in the same catagory as an expansion franchise.

StormFan93
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
In fairness to Richardson, he has never coached a WNBA franchise and the Shock were in Detroit with the history for winning WNBA championship; so I wouldn't put them in the same catagory as an expansion franchise.

I would. He had to start basically from scratch, considering the team's two top players from last season (Katie Smith and Deanna Nolan) refused to play for the team. Richardson was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to put this team together (Scholanda Robinson from the Dispersal Draft, Chante Black and Amber Holt in a trade for draft picks, Jennifer Lacy and Ivory Latta in free agency, etc)

Laramie
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I would. He had to start basically from scratch, considering the team's two top players from last season (Katie Smith and Deanna Nolan) refused to play for the team. Richardson was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to put this team together (Scholanda Robinson from the Dispersal Draft, Chante Black and Amber Holt in a trade for draft picks, Jennifer Lacy and Ivory Latta in free agency, etc)

If what you posted is true then, I stand corrected; they are pretty much on par with an expansion team!

StormFan93
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
If what you posted is true then, I stand corrected; they are pretty much on par with an expansion team!

http://sports.espn.go.com/wnba/news/story?id=4899693

BrettL
07-13-2010, 02:08 PM
They'll never hire Sauter for head coach. They'll probably give him some PR gig with the team since he's a recognizable figure for OKC hockey. I've heard a few rumors of coaches but Sauter is probably last on the list.

Laramie
07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
They hired the PA announcer (Ben Buckland?), you're right maybe they could find something for Doug if he wants to be around the environment of ice hockey.

Brandon Rush
07-19-2010, 10:47 AM
They hired the PA announcer (Ben Buckland?), you're right maybe they could find something for Doug if he wants to be around the environment of ice hockey.

::facepalm::