View Full Version : Phil Steele picks OU

earlywinegareth
07-09-2010, 11:18 AM
I respect this guy for attempting to do honest research and analysis, even if it's still a guessing game. His magazine is always an educational experience for me.

Steele picks OU to win it all in 2010 saying, "Much like 2000 they are off a 5 loss season but they are even better prepared to win it all than they were in 2000...this Sooner squad has had recruiting classed ranked at the top and they have finished in the Top Eleven 8 of the last 10 years."

His pick catches me off guard...I am still stinging from the pain of last year when I really thought OU had everything in place to win it all. To say this coming year they will do it seems kinda messed up considering all the talent we lost...but hey, anything can happen.

Spartan
07-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Uh, look at the teams on our schedule. FSU is top 15. Texas. Nebraska will be top 5. OSU will be better than everyone says. A&M will be really good, possibly top 25 preseason, Jerrod Johnson will be a Heisman contender.

Even Utah State..no, okay so there are a few breaks in there, but still. We will have one of the hardest schedules next year, AS USUAL. And kudos to Stoops for the schedule, but it will be difficult to "win it all." Even if we go to the national championship game, we will have a loss or two, we will be getting their off of credit for a very hard schedule, and we will be better for it.

A 10-2 LSU once creamed a 12-0 Ohio State.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Uh, look at the teams on our schedule. FSU is top 15. Texas. Nebraska will be top 5. OSU will be better than everyone says. A&M will be really good, possibly top 25 preseason, Jerrod Johnson will be a Heisman contender.

Even Utah State..no, okay so there are a few breaks in there, but still. We will have one of the hardest schedules next year, AS USUAL. And kudos to Stoops for the schedule, but it will be difficult to "win it all." Even if we go to the national championship game, we will have a loss or two, we will be getting their off of credit for a very hard schedule, and we will be better for it.

A 10-2 LSU once creamed a 12-0 Ohio State.

We do not play Nebraska.

And how can you say OSU be better than everyone says? They return only 4 on offense and 3 on defense, from a team that underachieved last year.

Spartan
07-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Well everyone is picking Okie State to finish last in division, but I just don't see it. They've got an awesome looking new qb that reminds me a lot of Josh Fields with that killer arm. They also have 2 returning players that didn't start last year due to injuries, with Kendall Hunter and Orie Lemon. As for underachieving last year, I don't think there's anyone that look at that team and figure out how they should have ended up with more than one loss, but that's just Okie State for you..always on the other side of luck. Feel bad for those guys, with what happened to all their players as the season dragged on.

Look elsewhere in the league...if OSU perennially underachieves, then A&M is even worse. Jerrod Johnson is the best qb in the Big 12 but he has no supporting cast, so their best play call will be the qb sneak. Baylor is just Baylor. The only returning star Tech has is Batch, and they lost Leach, Ruffin, and all their other coaching staff. Tuberville has never ran an air raid style offense, let alone any kind of prolific offense, and right now the jury is still even out as to whether he will still be at Tech in 2 years when they really start missing Leach. Texas lost everyone, although Gabbert isn't bad, and they can reload with talent every year. And we will play Nebraska if we are in the title game, although I forgot we played them last year, not this year.

And then look at ourselves, I can't really hype up this year's team more than anyone else. Best player...probably Tress Way, honestly. Demarco Murray will be our most prolific player on offense, we'll have some scary defenders, and Landry Jones will continue to improve. I personally don't have great hopes for Landry Jones or any qb who has several games in one season where they throw more picks than td's, especially when they're leading a team with an incredible qb tradition. Maybe he'll prove us wrong..but he's got a long ways to go till he looks like another OU Heisman, which we should expect no less than.

ljbab728
07-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Well everyone is picking Okie State to finish last in division, but I just don't see it. They've got an awesome looking new qb that reminds me a lot of Josh Fields with that killer arm. They also have 2 returning players that didn't start last year due to injuries, with Kendall Hunter and Orie Lemon. As for underachieving last year, I don't think there's anyone that look at that team and figure out how they should have ended up with more than one loss, but that's just Okie State for you..always on the other side of luck. Feel bad for those guys, with what happened to all their players as the season dragged on.

Look elsewhere in the league...if OSU perennially underachieves, then A&M is even worse. Jerrod Johnson is the best qb in the Big 12 but he has no supporting cast, so their best play call will be the qb sneak. Baylor is just Baylor. The only returning star Tech has is Batch, and they lost Leach, Ruffin, and all their other coaching staff. Tuberville has never ran an air raid style offense, let alone any kind of prolific offense, and right now the jury is still even out as to whether he will still be at Tech in 2 years when they really start missing Leach. Texas lost everyone, although Gabbert isn't bad, and they can reload with talent every year. And we will play Nebraska if we are in the title game, although I forgot we played them last year, not this year.

And then look at ourselves, I can't really hype up this year's team more than anyone else. Best player...probably Tress Way, honestly. Demarco Murray will be our most prolific player on offense, we'll have some scary defenders, and Landry Jones will continue to improve. I personally don't have great hopes for Landry Jones or any qb who has several games in one season where they throw more picks than td's, especially when they're leading a team with an incredible qb tradition. Maybe he'll prove us wrong..but he's got a long ways to go till he looks like another OU Heisman, which we should expect no less than.

I still look for Blake Bell to give Landry Jones a stiff challenge. If not this year, next year for sure.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-17-2010, 04:07 PM

Everyone? That is funny, because my athlon sports magazine has them 5th, as do bleacherreport, NewsOK, and im sure plenty others.

And I didn't say that OSU perennially underachieves, mainly because they rarely ever have the talent or hype like they did last year. However you still have done nothing to explain why osu will do better than 5th/6th in the south. Saying that Baylor is just baylor and using that as a reason for OSU to do better than them shows that you really don't know what you are talking about. If you would have kept up with them you would know that they have been getting improved recruiting classes, especially since Robert Griffin III came in. If griffin can stay healthy they should push for a bowl game. Unfortunately for them their schedule is tough.

And Jerrod Johnson has no supporting cast? Jeff Fuller set the school record for rec td's and had over 600 yards receiving his freshman year, along with more than 500 last year when he got injured, including a game against texas where he had 132 yards and 3 tds. Nwachukwu had 700 yards last year, and tannehill had 600.

Tech returns Potts and sheffield, both Sr. starters with experience, along with 3 starting WR's and lyle leong.

And your argument you used against texas can be used against OSU, considering texas returns more starters even when you include the 2 who were hurt last year for OSU.

And have you forgotten about Ryan Broyles? Tress way is good, But Broyles is going to break every major receiving record at OU before he is done. And Landry Jones only had 2 games where he threw more INT's than TD's, which doesn't seem like several to me.

So just admit it, OSU is down this year and will be for probably the next two until they reload and are able to have the stars align like they did last year where talent was experienced all around.

Spartan
07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
First, Potts is not a Tech qb. And you are completely overlooking the TOTAL turnover in coaching staff they just had. As for my argument toward Texas, I noted that they have the ability to reload every year. And if you use Bleacher Report and NewsOK as reputable sources, you are just setting yourself up for failure. You might as well use OKC Talk as a reputable sports source, so here it is:

1. Oklahoma
2. Texas
3. Okie St
4. Baylor
5. A&M
6. TacoTech

I agree that Bell will probably be the starting qb next year. If not by the end of this year.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
LMFAO potts is not a tech qb??? Just stop man.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/potts_taylor00.html

soonerfan_in_okc
07-18-2010, 08:25 PM
And if i am so wrong about my sources, then please show me some other websites that have osu finishing 6th. Obviously most have not yet released their predictions, which is why i found those two along with the athlon sports magazine, and you cannot dispute its credibility. With tech, i understand they have a total overturn in coaching staff, but talent can make up for any quirks not worked out. Coaches have been successful in their first year plenty of times.

And what I am saying about texas is how you admit that they are losing alot of people, yet OSU loses more. OSU cannot reload like texas. Therefore, do not expect OSU to stay in the same position as last year like texas may. Understand now?

Spartan
07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
LMFAO potts is not a tech qb??? Just stop man.

http://www.texastech.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/potts_taylor00.html

You know what I meant. I guess the whole "critical analysis" thing went way over your head.

The whole "Potts is not a Tech qb" thing isn't just something I'm saying.

Spartan
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
And what I am saying about texas is how you admit that they are losing alot of people, yet OSU loses more. OSU cannot reload like texas. Therefore, do not expect OSU to stay in the same position as last year like texas may. Understand now?

Why don't you check Scouts' rankings for this year's recruiting classes..you may be surprised.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-18-2010, 11:31 PM
And about osu's ranking, I have seen it before. I just assumed you were agreeing with me about OSU not being able to reload when you stated that as the difference between their program and UT's. However i have also seen their ranking the past years before that which are not nearly as impressive. If you followed college football you would know that it takes more than one recruiting class to allow a team to reload.

And What the hell do you mean he is not a tech qb? All you have to be able to do is throw a football and you half-qualify for their system. His only downside is having to compete with sheffield, otherwise his numbers would have been on par with cumbies of the early 2000's. He is no graham harrell, but having him there as a back up to sticks is a definite plus.

But please, explain to me why he is not your typical "tech" qb? And why the aggies have nobody around johnson? Or why Tress Way is our best player? Or why Landry Jones will be overtaken by Bell, a guy who only started playing qb his junior year and is a VERY raw product. The coaches know that they should red shirt him and groom him into a star, which as of now he is not.

Spartan
07-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I give up, there is no sense in arguing with a pile of rocks. Just keep in mind we had 5 losses during the regular season last year, and that's a fact you can't ignore or rationalize. It speaks for itself, and does not require analysis in order to reach its own conclusions. We have some rebuilding to do in Norman..

All this national championship talk from the idiot pundits is really bothering me, that's all I've got to say. There is a much greater chance that I will give birth to a perfectly healthy baby monkey out of my anus than of us winning a national championship this year.

onthestrip
07-19-2010, 05:07 PM
Whats great is two OU guys arguing about how bad/not-as-bad OSU is going to be. Seems a strange thing to do, arguing about insignificant, "step-sister" school OSU.

Spartan
07-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Whats great is two OU guys arguing about how bad/not-as-bad OSU is going to be. Seems a strange thing to do, arguing about insignificant, "step-sister" school OSU.

I agree, it is stupid. That's what you get when you're an oddball amongst a fan base for having respect for some schools. I don't like the orange schools, but I have respect for them.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-19-2010, 09:15 PM
a pile of rocks? LMFAO you are ruined my friend. You cannot back up what you say, so you call me a name and bring up ou's record last year, neither of which have to do with the subject at hand.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree, it is stupid. That's what you get when you're an oddball amongst a fan base for having respect for some schools. I don't like the orange schools, but I have respect for them.
I will give respect where respect is due. I just do not see why you think they will do better than 5/6th in the south, and you have done nothing to prove otherwise.

Spartan
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Why will OSU do well? Their defense will be improved under Year 2 of Bill Young. Their offense will be improved under Year 1 of Mike Gundy no longer calling the plays. They had a #14 recruiting class, and they've been improving and holding their own in recruiting players in Texas. Brandon Weeden will be a prolific qb, might even have the most impressive numbers in the Big 12. I'll be watching out for Kendall Hunter, who led the Big 12 in rushing last year he was healthy, and he's back..even though he's not a returning starter from last year. Saying that their defense graduated all of their starters isn't necessarily accurate either, when one returning player that is finally healed from their bad season last year is Orie Lemon, just an absolute beast of a LB. They just have some impressive players, plain and simple. To say they don't have many returning starters is true, but not an accurate description when you've got guys like Weeden, Lemon, Hunter, and others. Plus I think their new air raid offense, being installed by new OC Dana Holgorsen and the occasional visit by Mike Leach, will catch a lot of teams off guard. It will be much more efficient than the Slow Pokes we've been used to seeing under Zac Robinson. This is a team that, much like last year's that should have finished 2nd in the Big 12, should finish at least 3rd in the Big 12. If they don't, I would expect T. Boone to start shopping for a new coach..one who won't keep squandering teams with such potential.

a pile of rocks? LMFAO you are ruined my friend. You cannot back up what you say, so you call me a name and bring up ou's record last year, neither of which have to do with the subject at hand.

Our record is not relevant to the subject at hand? (that being OU picked to win a nat't championship)

earlywinegareth
07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm picking Bama vs TOSU in the BCS title game. Reason being Bama will start out #1 and possibly go unbeaten hosting their two biggest games at home (vs Penn State and Florida). I'm picking Georgia to win the SEC East and lose to Bama in the SEC CCG. Doesn't matter if OU goes unbeaten, Bama and whoever else is ranked higher has to lose.

I think there's a very good chance we will have multiple unbeatens this year, which will really mess things up in the BCS and possibly push us to the tipping point for a playoff system. Very possible unbeatens are: OU, TOSU, Bama, TCU, Boise, Oregon, and Miami. That would be awesome IMO...I think it's time to move to a playoff of the top 8 teams. What's missing in college football is the thing that makes the NCAA basketball tourney so awesome, and that's the "whoever gets hot will win it all" factor. The World Cup had that and I'd like to see that in D-1 college football.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-20-2010, 11:34 AM
The subject at hand was you and me arguing about OSU's success next year, which is why OU's record had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

First of all, the success of a recruiting class is rarely ever felt their freshman year, so I doubt we will see many step in and become stars. Some may play, but it takes time for players to develop and become great. I am not saying they do not have potential, but they won't have freak freshman years like peterson did. And I never said that they lost all of their defensive starters, I said they lost most of them. Which no matter how you try and spin it, that hurts. Sure, they may have 1 or 2 players that played last year and are going to start, but that does not account for all 11 positions. OSU returns 2 on the d-line, and then a safety. Even if you throw in Orie Lemon, that is only 4 players. The people coming to fill in the other 7, or those coming in to fill the other 7 spots in offense (incluiding the 4 of 5 on the o-line) are not going to be enough for them to finish 3rd in the big 12. Nobody is expecting that except you. in 3 or 4 more years, maybe OSU will have the talent to reload, but right now they still have to rebuild because one recruiting class does not change a team.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 12:52 PM
The subject at hand was you and me arguing about OSU's success next year, which is why OU's record had nothing to do with what we were talking about.

First of all, the success of a recruiting class is rarely ever felt their freshman year, so I doubt we will see many step in and become stars. Some may play, but it takes time for players to develop and become great. I am not saying they do not have potential, but they won't have freak freshman years like peterson did. And I never said that they lost all of their defensive starters, I said they lost most of them. Which no matter how you try and spin it, that hurts. Sure, they may have 1 or 2 players that played last year and are going to start, but that does not account for all 11 positions. OSU returns 2 on the d-line, and then a safety. Even if you throw in Orie Lemon, that is only 4 players. The people coming to fill in the other 7, or those coming in to fill the other 7 spots in offense (incluiding the 4 of 5 on the o-line) are not going to be enough for them to finish 3rd in the big 12. Nobody is expecting that except you. in 3 or 4 more years, maybe OSU will have the talent to reload, but right now they still have to rebuild because one recruiting class does not change a team.

I didn't say they have more starters returning than you think, I said it is skewed somewhat because they have some starters from '08 returning, for example Orie Lemon and Kendall Hunter who led the Big 12 in stats last time they started, which did not happen to be last year due to injuries. I also talked about their new qb and how that will play into their new offensive scheme. As far as I am concerned, there is only one thing you could have said that would have shown you have understanding of their team and are paying attention, and you did not say it. You could have mentioned that last year their group of receivers were really bad, and if you had questioned whether that group of receivers will be improved and ready to carry the burden of an air raid offense--that's the one caveat I have in expecting marginal things from the Cowboys. Time will only tell.

And as for their defense, everybody is in consensus, even Deano, that the Cowboys defense will be improved under year 2 of Bill Young, who is one of the best DCs in the game, whether he's at KU, USC, Miami, or OSU..

soonerfan_in_okc
07-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Saying that their defense graduated all of their starters isn't necessarily accurate either

I didn't say they have more starters returning than you think, I said it is skewed somewhat because they have some starters from '08 returning, for example Orie Lemon

Well who the hell said that then if it wasn't me? I said they lost most of them, but somehow you take that as me saying they lost them all.
I am going to stop wasting my time proving you wrong though. I can throw all the stats out out there, and it doesn't effect you. No matter what, you still think OSU should finish at least 3rd in the big 12, even when they are less talented than their team last year who finished tied for 2nd and play the big 3 this year (OU, UT, NEB). You are the only person I have seen who thinks they will do that good this year, and with a tougher schedule and less talented team, you are going to most likely continue to be alone with your predictions. I would be willing to bet my entire tuition that OSU will not finish 3rd in the big 12. That is just laughable, at best.

Spartan
07-20-2010, 09:09 PM
You my friend are a sad person who is begging for an argument. I hope you keep responding because it's funny to read, for my own sakes. I am also revoking your membership in the OU fanbase. You can go be a Whorn fan if you want to be pompous and ignorant.

Well who the hell said that then if it wasn't me? I said they lost most of them

Here you're arguing over semantics. Who cares about the difference between "all" and "most of" it's irrelevant, the point remains. I never intended to accuse you of saying ALL graduated, because a small difference makes no difference. I am telling you to factor in something that would make a HUGE difference, which is the return of two stars who did not start last year, and a new quarterback who led their team to save what was looking like a blowout at home against CU. It was a very impressive last-ditch rescue where he showed what he can do.

I am going to stop wasting my time proving you wrong though. I can throw all the stats out out there, and it doesn't effect you. No matter what, you still think OSU should finish at least 3rd in the big 12,

You're complaining that I won't agree with you. Stop insulting me and grow up man, seriously. That's hilarious though considering that I have posted way more statistics than you. Bringing up specific key playmakers, recruiting rankings, actually going into the schedule, and backing up that I'm not the only one expecting better out of OSU. What facts at all have you mentioned, again??

You are the only person I have seen who thinks they will do that good this year, and with a tougher schedule and less talented team, you are going to most likely continue to be alone with your predictions.

Dean Blevins, Berry Trammel, Brandon Chatmon, Jenni Carlson, and others have shared my sentiment that OSU will not be in the cellar of the Big 12. I have mentioned this several times. Here's Jenni's article:
http://newsok.com/jenni-carlson-oklahoma-state-deserves-more-respect/article/3473714?custom_click=columnist

As for the schedule, are you kidding me? Who do they even play, at all? They have the EASIEST schedule in all of college football. They will probably start 6-0 because they don't play anyone even decent until they get A&M at home, a matchup that favors the Pokes, and then through conference play there are only three games they SHOULD lose..OU, Texas, and Nebraska. Only UT is on the road, so who knows what will happen.

soonerfan_in_okc
07-21-2010, 08:36 PM
Stop insulting you? You called me a pile of rocks before i said anything lol.

And what facts did i mention? I stated reasons, some backed up with statistics, why each big 12 south team that you seem to think OSU will pass is stronger than you think, and debunked everything you said about them. You bring up play makers like Hunter, but fail to realize that the new offense you tout will use him much less than he was used in 2008. He will be good, but expect his numbers to be less.

And about their schedule, I would hope you realize that their OOC schedule has nothing to do with where they finish in the big 12. We are arguing about their big 12 finish, not whether or not they get to 8 wins.

vs AtM - W/L
@tech - L
vs. NEB- L
@Kstate- W
vs. Baylor - W
@Texas - L
@Kansas - W
vs. OU - L

So there you go. IMO, They could have 4, possibly 5 losses in the big 12. I do not see how the a&m game favors OSU, but they could still win it. They only other game we disagree on is the tech game. If i remember correctly, OSU has never beaten tech in lubbock, and the two teams are similar talent wise, so I have to give the edge to the home team.

And if you are bragging about having Carlson on your side, then you must not know much about her ability to give an opinion on sports. She writes great sports stories, but needs to stay away from opinionated articles.

And read this. I am sure you saw it already, but here you go.
http://newsok.com/ou-football-picked-to-win-big-12-south/article/3478216?custom_click=lead_story_title

Spartan
07-23-2010, 09:50 PM
I will give you that Tech and OSU are similar talent wise, although the assessment on Tech's talent is way higher than the general misconception out there about OSU's talent or lack thereof. I think that OSU has the edge though, given that OSU's coaching staff is becoming more entrenched (Gundy's zillionth year at OSU, Bill Young's 2nd, and new OC plays into the existing style of play) as opposed to Tech's complete overturn in coaching staff. And let's face it, Tuberville can not run the air raid offense, doesn't even know what it is, and probably won't last in Lubbock.

Dustin
09-06-2010, 02:33 PM
I wonder if Phil has the same outcome after Saturdays game?

rcjunkie
09-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I wonder if Phil has the same outcome after Saturdays game?

Why not, 13 more games won by a touchdown will result in a National Championship.

ljbab728
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm not predicting a national championship but people forget the close games we had the last year we won a championship. Over A&M by 4, over OSU by 5, and over K State by 3. We're certainly in better position this year than we were after one game last year.

Kerry
09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
I'm not predicting a national championship but people forget the close games we had the last year we won a championship. Over A&M by 4, over OSU by 5, and over K State by 3. We're certainly in better position this year than we were after one game last year.

A&M/OSU/K-State =/= Utah St. They are the 3rd best team in Utah, at the most.

Matt
09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
A&M/OSU/K-State =/= Utah St.

Yep. And those were all away games, too.

blangtang
09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
the line is OU by around 8 points. Should make for a good game

ljbab728
09-08-2010, 11:06 PM
A&M/OSU/K-State =/= Utah St. They are the 3rd best team in Utah, at the most.

That's really not a signficant fact. My point is that close calls against inferior teams don't alway reflect what will happen the rest of the year. In 1975 we lost a home game 23 to 3 to a Kansas team that won only 5 games all year. We won the national championship. Again, I'm not predicting that but I'm not throwing in the towel yet based on that one game.

Kerry
09-09-2010, 01:47 PM
That's really not a signficant fact. My point is that close calls against inferior teams don't alway reflect what will happen the rest of the year. In 1975 we lost a home game 23 to 3 to a Kansas team that won only 5 games all year. We won the national championship. Again, I'm not predicting that but I'm not throwing in the towel yet based on that one game.

One thing is for sure, we will know more in 72 hours. This is going out on a limb but I bet the 1975 Kansas 5-loss team is better than the 2010 Utah St 1-loss team.

ljbab728
09-09-2010, 10:15 PM
One thing is for sure, we will know more in 72 hours. This is going out on a limb but I bet the 1975 Kansas 5-loss team is better than the 2010 Utah St 1-loss team.

Of course there's no realistic way to compare teams which are 35 years apart. I remember that game in 1975 very well though. I was in the stands watching and thought our season was basically over afterwards because I couldn't believe we had actually lost and lost badly to a very inferior team.

ljbab728
09-11-2010, 10:13 PM
One thing is for sure, we will know more in 72 hours.

OK, now we know more. LOL

kevinpate
09-12-2010, 08:38 AM
My elder son who resides in way south Alabama was able to see the game on the telly yesterday. Made his day.

Kerry
09-15-2010, 07:07 AM
I watched the game from the ESPN Zone at Disney's Boardwalk. There were a lot of FSU fans there and they were extra obnoxious (especially after they scored their first touchdown and broke out in a lames-ass spelling out of F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E). Thanks goodness I didn't have to hear that again. With Florida being an early game and Miami and FSU taking beatings there were plenty of tables available in the second half.

Dustin
10-17-2010, 12:16 PM
I might have to buy this dudes magazine now..

ljbab728
10-17-2010, 11:23 PM
This sort of validates my earlier post in this thread that those who were predicting doom and gloom after a close game with Utah State were a little quick to pull the trigger.

earlywinegareth
10-18-2010, 08:47 AM
People forget that teams change over the course of the season. Stoops' teams tend to get better as the season progresses...even during a down year. Having watched OU teams for 36 years now, the early season games the team is trying to find itself...players learning their roles and the playbook. Then they play Texas and come out battle-tested. The team that plays in Norman after that game has a different mentality...more mature it seems. That game sets the tone for the rest of the season.