View Full Version : A Letter from Dan Gilbert to LeBron James

SoonerQueen
07-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Updated: July 8, 2010, 11:45 PM ET
Letter from Cavs owner Dan Gilbert
EmailPrintComments
Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert posted this letter on the team's website after LeBron James' announcement he was leaving for the Miami Heat.

Dear Cleveland, All Of Northeast Ohio and Cleveland Cavaliers Supporters Wherever You May Be Tonight;

As you now know, our former hero, who grew up in the very region that he deserted this evening, is no longer a Cleveland Cavalier.

This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment.

Clearly, this is bitterly disappointing to all of us.

The good news is that the ownership team and the rest of the hard-working, loyal, and driven staff over here at your hometown Cavaliers have not betrayed you nor NEVER will betray you.

There is so much more to tell you about the events of the recent past and our more than exciting future. Over the next several days and weeks, we will be communicating much of that to you.

You simply don't deserve this kind of cowardly betrayal.

You have given so much and deserve so much more.

In the meantime, I want to make one statement to you tonight:

"I PERSONALLY GUARANTEE THAT THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS WILL WIN AN NBA CHAMPIONSHIP BEFORE THE SELF-TITLED FORMER 'KING' WINS ONE"

You can take it to the bank.

If you thought we were motivated before tonight to bring the hardware to Cleveland, I can tell you that this shameful display of selfishness and betrayal by one of our very own has shifted our "motivation" to previously unknown and previously never experienced levels.

Some people think they should go to heaven but NOT have to die to get there.

Sorry, but that's simply not how it works.

This shocking act of disloyalty from our home grown "chosen one" sends the exact opposite lesson of what we would want our children to learn. And "who" we would want them to grow-up to become.

But the good news is that this heartless and callous action can only serve as the antidote to the so-called "curse" on Cleveland, Ohio.

The self-declared former "King" will be taking the "curse" with him down south. And until he does "right" by Cleveland and Ohio, James (and the town where he plays) will unfortunately own this dreaded spell and bad karma.

Just watch.

Sleep well, Cleveland.

Tomorrow is a new and much brighter day....

I PROMISE you that our energy, focus, capital, knowledge and experience will be directed at one thing and one thing only:

DELIVERING YOU the championship you have long deserved and is long overdue....

Dan Gilbert

Majority Owner

Cleveland Cavaliers

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 04:17 AM
Excellent Letter, while I have, and always will, admire Labrons basketball talent, his actions as a man, leader, or sports icon, leave a lot to be desired. He should be reminded that basketball is a "team" sport and no, one, individual is above it.

Easy180
07-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Wah...made the city millions over 7 years...smart decision for one of the best players ever...doesn't want a no championship asterisk by his name is all

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Wah...made the city millions over 7 years...smart decision for one of the best players ever...doesn't want a no championship asterisk by his name is all

I agree that he's one of the best NBA players in history and it's not the fact he's leaving Cleveland, it's the way he handled the situation, the self titled "King" thinks he's bigger than the sport, announcing his decision during a one hour ESPN Show titled "The Decision". Not that it matters, but I've lost a lot of respect not only for Labron, but ESPN as well. Labron could take some lesson in class from Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, just to name a few.

MadMonk
07-09-2010, 08:11 AM
LOL, that's a great letter. There's a good bit of sour grapes talking, but there's a lot of truth as well.

TaoMaas
07-09-2010, 08:52 AM
Question...If you're really the "King", do you follow others...or do you say, "HERE is where I rule...come join me"? I'm thinkin' Dwyane Wade just proved who is REALLY the "king".

OKCisOK4me
07-09-2010, 09:03 AM
I hope that if one of our star players decides to leave our team to play on another team that Clay Bennett doesn't write something like that. That owner is in it because of the business of what the NBA is. If a player decides to leave, then you can't ridicule him because he's making a business decision. That's why you can't get too attached to a pet. Something happens to that pet and you whine, whine, whine... Now the fact that LeBron had an hour long special and all--I think that would have been right, for say, Kobe Bryant--a 5 time world champion. LeBron hasn't won a thing. Best of luck to the guy...

metro
07-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah, the owner just lost millions in season ticket and merchandise sales. LeBron is a great player, but his ego needs to be checked. I agree with the poster above that it's not that he left (as it probably was in his best career interest), but the way he handled the whole thing and his narcissistic way of operating as the self-entitled "King." Too big an ego to maintain that gets in the way of focusing on how to win a championship. The reality of it all is he could get hurt and not get to play much. This decision on how he's handled things will come back to bite him.

Laramie
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Cleveland is not only a hard town on losers; they are a hard town on winners! Can you imagine if the Thunder wins 60 games this upcoming season?

Can you imagine the protection that LaBron will need when the Heat goes into Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena; let's hope LaBron doesn't have any outstanding loans (LOL)!

Easy180
07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
The king crap is lame for sure but speaking of class...thought I heard he donated his tv pay to kids?

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
The king crap is lame for sure but speaking of class...thought I heard he donated his tv pay to kids?

So it's OK to be classless and big headed as long as you donate money you don't have to work for.

Easy180
07-09-2010, 08:17 PM
He works for his money for sure...not a freakin golfer...work your azz off in basketball

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
He works for his money for sure...not a freakin golfer...work your azz off in basketball

The money he donated from his "decision show" was paid by sponsors just for airing this show, all he did to earn it was sign a contract with said sponsors.

Easy180
07-10-2010, 11:49 AM
So his play over 7 years did nothing to land the show in the first place?

I think you are confused...His last name is James not Hilton

rcjunkie
07-11-2010, 05:53 AM
So his play over 7 years did nothing to land the show in the first place?

I think you are confused...His last name is James not Hilton

And Hilton would be ?