Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Urban Pioneer
10-07-2009, 10:07 AM
address= 800 SE 6th
cost= $3.8 million

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/whitewaterwiki1.jpg
Latest News & Information
9/16/14: Building permits for two construction trailers
2/12/14: $16.6 million building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=14BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=01590&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
1/17/14: $3.5 million building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=14BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=00700&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
1/17/14: $300,000 building permit (http://www.okc.gov/Access/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Permits&TabName=Permits&capID1=14BRE&capID2=00000&capID3=00698&agencyCode=OKC&IsToShowInspection=)
Links
YouTube - Charlotte Whitewater Center: An Opportunity for Oklahoma (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orfvuLZWODE)
Gallery

betts
10-07-2009, 11:09 AM
My husband will vote for MAPS just to get this. He's been a whitewater kayaker all his adult life, and has had to go to Tulsa to "surf" the Wave or drive all the way to Arkansas for whitewater kayaking. This is certainly something unique, and will perhaps increase local interest in whitewater kayaking, as well as provide additional Olympic training facilities.

CrimsonOberon
10-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Man, that looks awesome.

I certainly hope we do get something like this; It would only add to the options that OKCitians will have for outdoor entertainment and activity.:congrats:

RealtorJoe
10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
That is a great idea. I love the idea of adding something to do for fun in Oklahoma City. Plus it's would be great exercise and get people outside.

iron76hd
10-07-2009, 04:10 PM
MAPS 3 is a sham. Our police, fire and city workers are stretched to the limits.. Wake up OKC...i'm for growth, but lets add another cent to get enough workers to take care of these improvements.

Urban Pioneer
10-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Betts, I was talking to the Parks Dept Director Wendell Whisenhunt at the Devon dedication. I am an avid surfer and he totally surprised me. Apparently we voted for a wave box for Wiley Post Park. He says it will be funded by the bonds in 2 - 3 years. It is the bond issue that keeps on giving.

Urban Pioneer
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Here is a link to the company that builds the surfing equipment. The video is pretty cool too (top right menu). I am glad we are getting one of these for sure next to the skate park.

FlowRider Installations (http://flowrider.com/english/installations.html)

Doug Loudenback
10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the link, Urban. Looks like fun.

metro
10-08-2009, 09:15 AM
MAPS 3 is a sham. Our police, fire and city workers are stretched to the limits.. Wake up OKC...i'm for growth, but lets add another cent to get enough workers to take care of these improvements.

Keep in mind, public works projects such as MAPS 3 attract TONS of development and lots of out of state money, which in turn equates to millions more in local sales tax revenue annually. This annual sales tax revenue is usually used for police, fire and other such programs. More sales tax = more police and fire and other city positions.

Here is a link to the company that builds the surfing equipment. The video is pretty cool too (top right menu). I am glad we are getting one of these for sure next to the skate park.

FlowRider Installations (http://flowrider.com/english/installations.html)

Killer. I'm stoked! I rode at the premier fake wave park in Mission Beach, San Diego back in January (my shoulder is still bothering me from it). I can't wait until we get our own!!!

Wave House | A Taste of the Beach Lifestyle (http://www.wavehouse.com/)

Midtowner
10-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Explain how encouraging developmental density is going to stretch our emergency services and infrastructure.

Platemaker
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have any statistics on how many more police and fire have been added post-MAPS I??

jbrown84
10-10-2009, 05:19 PM

There are more proper ways to fund such things. MAPS 3 makes OKC a more desirable place to live, so that our population and city revenues will increase.

iron76hd
10-11-2009, 08:06 AM
No additional policeman or fireman have been added since 1995. No additional City Workers have been added since that same time.

Your developmental density has required an additional police station in Bricktown. A station that was needed to protect families in bricktown during it's night life and events. A station that required police officers to be taken from already short briefing stations. Overtime has to be paid to officers just to have adequate protection every weekend. What about the other city services are they not stretched taking care of the additional structures from MAPS1? It's not just MAPS. It's not having done anything to add workers since before 1995. Population has grown but no additional workers. Now we are asked to vote yes for another 777 million dollar park for downtown. While no money is alloted to increase city services..

iron76hd
10-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I don't know if citizens know that on any given night the entire south side of oklahoma city is patrolled by 9 Police Officers at times. Yup. Thats 9. there are an equal amount or more officers in bricktown on many nights. That's the ENTIRE South Side of Oklahoma City!!!! Doesn't the South Side of this city deserve to have Officers.

andy157
10-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Does anyone have any statistics on how many more police and fire have been added post-MAPS I??This years budget called for 951. I believe the Dept. is currently 6 to 10 below the 951. In February of 1999 the Dept. was staffed with 999. So to answere your question none have been added, in fact the opposite has occured, they have lost 50 or so.

DelCamino
10-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Public safety personnel funding and funding for MAPS projects completely different things. We may very well need additional police officers in Oklahoma City, don't know, but if the City is going to provided funding for them, they will have to be doing from something other than a 'MAPS'-styled funding source. Personnel costs must be funded permanently and the MAPS projects are not funded by a permanent source.

hoya
10-12-2009, 04:04 PM
There seem to be enough around to give me speeding tickets. Yup, no shortage of cops looking to pull me over.

Urban Pioneer
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't know if citizens know that on any given night the entire south side of oklahoma city is patrolled by 9 Police Officers at times. Yup. Thats 9. there are an equal amount or more officers in bricktown on many nights. That's the ENTIRE South Side of Oklahoma City!!!! Doesn't the South Side of this city deserve to have Officers.

This is a thread about kayaking and surfing infrastructure. Go hijack a thread somewhere else.

I am all for expanding police protection and the fire department. However, I am not for facilitating the continual expansion into never-never land. It is obvious that to encourage people to live in a more urban area, that area will need greater appeal. That means a reason to move there over the suburbs at 180th street, better schools and a markedly better quality of life appeal.

MAPS is about 30 year time frames. 10 years to build all of it, 20 years to enjoy it. It is about being competitive and healthy as a city.

Right now we are blessed with flat to minor negative growth. A surge of growth and urban density as a result of this investment will pay great dividends in added tax revenue to support the long-term commitments required to expand city personnel. MAPS will not and is not designed to do that.

We need to stop encouraging building on the cheap and making commitments to housing developers that we will perpetually maintain million dollar roads, water lines, other utilities, and protection personnel at the expense of the greater quality-of-life and American competitiveness of our city.

Finally, this is a thread about kayaking and surfing infrastructure. Go somewhere else.

Patrick
10-12-2009, 10:01 PM
No additional policeman or fireman have been added since 1995. No additional City Workers have been added since that same time.

Your developmental density has required an additional police station in Bricktown. A station that was needed to protect families in bricktown during it's night life and events. A station that required police officers to be taken from already short briefing stations. Overtime has to be paid to officers just to have adequate protection every weekend. What about the other city services are they not stretched taking care of the additional structures from MAPS1? It's not just MAPS. It's not having done anything to add workers since before 1995. Population has grown but no additional workers. Now we are asked to vote yes for another 777 million dollar park for downtown. While no money is alloted to increase city services..

That's a budget issue. If you have problems with the current budget, contact your council person, or vote for someone else. These issues have nothing to do with MAPS or MAPS 3.

$1 billion was voted to improve city services in 2007.

dmoor82
10-13-2009, 03:50 AM
What's this thread about? police&fire?----oooo wait I think it's supposed to be about a whitewater facility!lol

kevinpate
10-13-2009, 07:26 AM
ok, the whitewater facility goes on the river, or beside it. Where along the river. Also, the surf thingamabob, Wiley Post? I'm way too round to hang ten, but that's something the younger members of the clan might eat up big time.

proud2Bsooner
10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
iron76hd has attempted to hijack this thread.

However the whitewater facility quite simply looks awesome. That thing would be huge here and I could see it drawing thousands of people from the region here.

betts
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
ok, the whitewater facility goes on the river, or beside it. Where along the river. Also, the surf thingamabob, Wiley Post? I'm way too round to hang ten, but that's something the younger members of the clan might eat up big time.

The whitewater facility would be on the river. I suspect it would be near one of the dams, as that way you have a gradiant, which is required to get the kind of water flow necessary to create rapids.

Patrick
10-14-2009, 04:25 AM
iron76hd has attempted to hijack this thread.

He/She has hijacked every MAPS 3 thread. Can't even talk about MAPS anymore without hearing about how shortstaffed the police and fire depts are.

Anyways, whitewater facility will be a great addition to the river.

metro
10-14-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm stoked to learn that we already have money set aside for the faux surf park, let alone a whitewater facility. OKC will reap HUGE quality of life and tourism dividends from this long term.

Platemaker
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I noticed this little inlet near the Exchange Boathouse on the new Google Maps aerials. Nestled in between Stockyards City and the Farmer's Market district (and downtown), it looks like a good location for the MAPS 3 Whitewater facility. Thoughts?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/exchangeaveboathouse.jpg

Spartan
07-08-2010, 02:31 PM
I think the idea is to have the Whitewater facility close to the other river facilities. I think the inlet poses some great redevelopment potential once the rest of OKC is gentrified in the year 3050.

Platemaker
07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
LOL! You really have zero hope for the southside don't ya Spartan.

Spartan
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I've just been watching things get worse for the last few years, so I don't even notice my own negativity anymore. It was really just a joke though..my point was simply that it's a long ways out from even Core 2 Shore's boundary.

mugofbeer
07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I've just been watching things get worse for the last few years, so I don't even notice my own negativity anymore. It was really just a joke though..my point was simply that it's a long ways out from even Core 2 Shore's boundary.

LOL Yeah, Spartan, things in OKC really have gotten a lot worse in the last few years. Leave for a few years and then come back and you can really tell how the city has leaped forward compared to what it was in 1986 when I left.

Dustin
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Im REALLY looking forward to this.. Its a really cool idea IMO.

Spartan
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
LOL Yeah, Spartan, things in OKC really have gotten a lot worse in the last few years. Leave for a few years and then come back and you can really tell how the city has leaped forward compared to what it was in 1986 when I left.

On the SOUTH side, which is starting to see overcrowding, pollution, traffic bottlenecks (esp along Western), and other problems. I have noticed a lot of neighborhoods are getting better and crime seems to be way down. I believe the OCPD's gang task force has done wonders on that regard. But let's keep in mind we aren't talking about Bricktown or Heritage Hills.

I think the #1 change the southside has seen in the last ten years is overcrowding. Between SW 59th and SW 29th has long had the densest demographics in the city, but in the last ten years it's also been one of the main areas experiencing population growth (and especially undocumented demographic change) despite no new housing stock being completed.

Once you have sat through 4-5 cycles of lights on Western you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, and it's not the traffic and congestion I am concerned about (not much you can do about that)--it is the deteriorating arteries, poor streetscapes, and wasted opportunities to improve this high-traffic corridor.

ljbab728
07-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I noticed this little inlet near the Exchange Boathouse on the new Google Maps aerials. Nestled in between Stockyards City and the Farmer's Market district (and downtown), it looks like a good location for the MAPS 3 Whitewater facility. Thoughts?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/exchangeaveboathouse.jpg

I'm not saying this wouldn't be a good area but keep in mind the location won't need any water access to the river. The water system will be totally independent.

bombermwc
07-09-2010, 07:00 AM
You definitely don't want a whitewater area to touch river water. The Oklahoma River isn't exactlly the kind of water you frolic around in...ew. And if you're in a kyak, you're going to tip over a lot and probably ingest a good amount. You don't want that to be river water with (literally) poo from the stockyards in it. Just sayin....

CuatrodeMayo
07-09-2010, 08:06 AM
It is my understanding that it will be located between the Dallas junction and the boathouse row.

metro
07-09-2010, 09:02 AM
That inlet isn't big enough for the course anyways. Bomber, I know the river is probably nasty, but they did make the Stockyards company clean up their act and install systems to keep the "poo" runoff from flowing into the river.

okcpulse
07-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Honestly they just need to move the stockyards to some place else like El Reno. It does not belong next to a river that is being transformed into a recreational body of water.

Kerry
07-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Honestly they just need to move the stockyards to some place else like El Reno. It does not belong next to a river that is being transformed into a recreational body of water.

Do you know the pile of money they would have to spend on environmental clean-up if they tried to move.

BDP
07-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Do you know the pile of money they would have to spend on environmental clean-up if they tried to move.

Not to mention the pile of money they'd be taking with them.

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 10:36 AM

No disrespect, but his is the dumbest comment I've read on OKC TALK, The OKC Stockyards are a valuable part of our history, was here long before the River/Entertainment area was even thought of, and definately does not need to be moved.

Spartan
07-09-2010, 11:11 AM
The Stockyards are good, they bring tourism, they are an asset for locals, they add culture, and they provide a huge amount of jobs still. What I don't think okcpulse realizes is that there are many effective ways of detaining water runoff without it going into the Oklahoma River. It may be that it has a greater environmental impact that way, but it's still a better alternative than sick triathlon participants.

dankrutka
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Are there good ways of really cleaning up the Oklahoma River? It would be great if they could have triathlons and other events without everyone getting sick...

Midtowner
07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Are there good ways of really cleaning up the Oklahoma River? It would be great if they could have triathlons and other events without everyone getting sick...

Cow diapers.

Spartan
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM

It is clean, now. We've stopped the leakage of fecal matter for over a year now.

Architect2010
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
There are two residential developments that I know of on the inner Southside, but of course I'm a resident so I'm going to notice them more readily. Also, drive through any Hispanic dominated neighborhood and you'll notice on every single street that there are new homes. So while these don't add to existing stock per se, they do help with the gentrification of the area. The Mexicans really like brick houses and brick mailboxes. ;] However, as said, infrastructure improvements are in dire need. Western like mentioned, Penn, 29th, 44th, Shields below 44th, and 59th could all use some dire improvements. It actually upsets me that the condition of Southside streets are so disgusting compared to the northside or suburbs. Apparently, they don't have Beautification projects over here either.

Anyways, this outlet as shown are spotted throughout the river frequently no? I believe there is two of them just west of Walker on the southside of the river as well and these two have boardwalks going through them. They're just beautification and recreational outlets, but I assume their primary functions have something to do with the River itself. Enlightenment?

ljbab728
07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Architect2010;343959]There are two residential developments that I know of on the inner Southside, but of course I'm a resident so I'm going to notice them more readily. Also, drive through any Hispanic dominated neighborhood and you'll notice on every single street that there are new homes. So while these don't add to existing stock per se, they do help with the gentrification of the area. The Mexicans really like brick houses and brick mailboxes. ;] However, as said, infrastructure improvements are in dire need. Western like mentioned, Penn, 29th, 44th, Shields below 44th, and 59th could all use some dire improvements. It actually upsets me that the condition of Southside streets are so disgusting compared to the northside or suburbs. Apparently, they don't have Beautification projects over here either.QUOTE]

Actually I drive through both residential and business areas on both the north an south sides regularly. I see just as many street improvement projects ongoing on the south side as on the north side.

fuzzytoad
07-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I think it's adorable that some of you still think we're getting these things...

dmoor82
07-10-2010, 08:57 AM
^^This attraction is part of MAPS 3,so why would we not be getting it?Has The 2 previous MAPS not been a HUGE success?

dankrutka
07-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I think it's adorable that some of you still think we're getting these things...

Yeah! The government is going to use the money to keep Roswell and the JFK assassination secret. Ooooooohhhhhhh.

dankrutka
07-10-2010, 11:33 AM
It is clean, now. We've stopped the leakage of fecal matter for over a year now.

Why does it still smell?

ljbab728
07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Why does it still smell?

A hot tub is about the only body of water i've been in or been around that didn't have an odor.

I've done the boat trip on the river, however, and didn't notice any particular bad odor.

rcjunkie
07-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Why does it still smell?

Because it's untreated H20, go to any lake, river, canal that has untreated H20, and it will smell.

jbrown84
07-16-2010, 12:55 PM
This is a bit off topic, but I love the College Hill area right around Mt. Saint Mary's. I wonder where that name came from (College Hill).

Platemaker
07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Mt. Saint Mary's used to be a college.

jbrown84
07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
Never knew!

OKCisOK4me
06-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have any new information on this project? Seems like more of a concept anymore. I'm surprised that those guys moved their headquarters here how many years ago and still, we're looking at a field of trees and old neighborhood roads... What's the hold-up? I wanna go kayaking!! lol

jn1780
06-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Does anyone have any new information on this project? Seems like more of a concept anymore. I'm surprised that those guys moved their headquarters here how many years ago and still, we're looking at a field of trees and old neighborhood roads... What's the hold-up? I wanna go kayaking!! lol

Construction is suppose to start at the end of this year last I heard.

OKCisOK4me
06-10-2013, 12:15 AM
Construction is suppose to start at the end of this year last I heard.

Cool, thanks!

Urbanized
06-10-2013, 10:19 AM
It's definitely on track. Met with Mike Knopp a couple of times in the past month and a half regarding our connection to their projects. One thing I thought was cool is that the WW facility will be double-tasked as a swift water rescue training facility for first responders. They can even bring in and flood a school bus (planned) for trainings. After a few years of drought I didn't really give that much thought when I first heard about it, but the past couple of weeks have unfortunately underscored a need for such training around here. Not sure if it had been mentioned before in this thread, but that is a nice extra bang for our buck as taxpayers.

GaryOKC6
06-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Riversport Okc, Riversport, Aquatic Center, Kayaking, Canoeing, Rafting, « RIVERSPORT (http://riversportokc.org/kayak/whitewater-center) There is a video on this site.