View Full Version : OKC Grand Prix

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Watson410
07-07-2010, 06:59 AM
I know there's a thread about this already, but I couldn't find it.. Has anyone heard any news or rumors about this lately? I know their talking with Le Mans trying to work out a contract. I also heard they were going to have an announcement by July 1... My guess is an announcement should be coming any day now.

metro
07-07-2010, 08:16 AM
Mike McAuliffe is behind it, he runs a business called Doctor on Call. He was also chief of staff for Mayor Andy Coats and Ron Norick. I'm sure if you shot him an email from his business website, he would be glad to clarify for you the status. He's a very nice and informative guy.

BDP
07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I thought Austin ended up getting this or was that something else?

Kerry
07-07-2010, 11:31 AM
I thought Austin ended up getting this or was that something else?

Austin got Formula 1. As far as I know OKC is still in line for getting an American LeMans race. F1 will last about 3 years in Austin. From what I have read on the F1 message boards and media, the entire F1 world is scratching their head at the Austin decision.

Watson410
07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks Metro, I'll do that and let you guys know what he says. I've been searching the last couple day and this is what I found. http://www.grandprixokc.com/ If you look at the bottom of the page you'll see it's the LeMans series.

bluedogok
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Austin got Formula 1. As far as I know OKC is still in line for getting an American LeMans race. F1 will last about 3 years in Austin. From what I have read on the F1 message boards and media, the entire F1 world is scratching their head at the Austin decision.
It is much, much further along than anyone in the media knew about. This has been in the works for a few years but the announcement by the munchkin was earlier than Tavo expected, which is typical Bernie...he wanted to announce it right around Indy 500 time as a dig to Tony George. Tavo liked operating in obscurity more than being in the open, he would rather the announcement been delayed a little longer. IF it gets built, it will be here for awhile. I am cautiously optimistic that it is going to happen, if the track goes in where I have been told it will be about 30 miles from where live now. I will definitely have to get my car built to run events out there.

Kerry
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
I have no doubt the track will get built but the US Grand Prix has a dismal track record (pun intended). The pits are littered with cities that failed to meet expectation and retain fan interest.

bluedogok
07-07-2010, 10:06 PM
True but since Watkins Glen it has always been on a temporary circuit or a modified track like Indy. Bernie hated the fact that is was the "third place" race at Indy and that the Hulman family (who have since booted Tony George out of the office) wouldn't give in to the troll's demands. Also, much of the Indy media/public hate the fact that anything other than the 500 is run there, including Nascar which I think is a complete waste of a good facility. I think the IRL should run a roval race there in the fall in addition to the 500..it would have to be better than running on a 1.5 mile Nascar oval owned by the France family.

At Indy there was a large contingent of foreign fans, especially Brazilians. I was talking to a couple from Germany next to us, they came to the US because it was cheaper for them than going to a European race since they weren't real close to Hockenheim or Nuremberg.

ljbab728
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I have no doubt the track will get built but the US Grand Prix has a dismal track record (pun intended). The pits are littered with cities that failed to meet expectation and retain fan interest.

From what I understood from the previous thread, there wasn't going to be a track built. It is to be in the downtown and bricktown area with some streets temporarily blocked off for the race.

Kerry
07-08-2010, 05:59 AM
From what I understood from the previous thread, there wasn't going to be a track built. It is to be in the downtown and bricktown area with some streets temporarily blocked off for the race.

Different races. Austin is building a multi-purpose race track that will be home to the US Grand Prix for 10 years. The US Grand Prix is on the F1 circuit. Oklahoma City is getting an American LeMans race that will be run on the streets of Bricktown. If my wife would let me I would drive on the American LeMans circuit in a heartbeat.

An F1 Race car
http://images.thecarconnection.com/lrg/mclaren-mercedes-mp24-f1-race-car_100227981_l.jpg

An American LeMans Race cars (two types actually - they run at the same time on the same track, but not against each other. Kind of like having a mens and womens 200m track race at the same time).

http://www.autonewscast.com/wp-content/uploads/Rally/M08_2593_1.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2296/3483/30739241272_large.jpg

Watson410
07-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Man!! I can't wait to even hear an announcement. This will be a VERY NICE addition to annual entertainment to Oklahoma City!! Can't wait!

SkyWestOKC
07-08-2010, 03:46 PM
No doubt that I will attend! Excited!

jmlight
07-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I think Formula 1 could thrive in Austin. There will likely be about 30,000 Brazilians in attendance.

I hope it's a night race and/or it's not in the middle of summer. I think it was 1984 when F1 held their ill-fated Grand Prix of Dallas at Fair Park, and people were passing out left and right.

Watson410
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Oklahoma summers can be pretty brutal, but if you drink plenty of water that day you'll be fine!! It probably wouldn't hurt to find shade occasionally too. Those people that were passing out left and right were either NOT drinking any water at all or drinking alcoholic beverages like water! lol.

Kerry
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Those people that were passing out left and right were ... drinking alcoholic beverages like water! lol.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner.

bluedogok
07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I think Formula 1 could thrive in Austin. There will likely be about 30,000 Brazilians in attendance.
There were probably about that many at Indy in 2007, they were everywhere.

I hope it's a night race and/or it's not in the middle of summer. I think it was 1984 when F1 held their ill-fated Grand Prix of Dallas at Fair Park, and people were passing out left and right.
It won't be a night race, wrong time slot for European TV, a 1:00 to 2:00 PM start would put it in prime time in Europe which was about the same time as the Indy race.

Dallas was a hot one, of course all the asphalt at Fair Park didn't help.

jmlight
07-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Oklahoma summers can be pretty brutal, but if you drink plenty of water that day you'll be fine!! It probably wouldn't hurt to find shade occasionally too. Those people that were passing out left and right were either NOT drinking any water at all or drinking alcoholic beverages like water! lol.

Actually I was more concerned with drivers and crew wearing fire suits. I know Austin is probably no Bahrain, but I do vaguely remember at least one driver passing out in Dallas. Memory's a little fuzzy. I almost want to say it was Nigel Mansell. Of course, he was pushing his car across the finish line because he ran out of gas, or something. :)

Good point about the European TV market, blue. That's what it's all about.

No matter, just excited I'll be able to drive to an F1 race again.

bluedogok
07-13-2010, 07:44 PM
It was Mansell pushing the car across the line that passed out.

Spartan
07-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I don't doubt that an OKC Grand Prix would lose support and interest after a few years, but if we just did it once every other year or every 3 or 4 years, we could keep it up and even if it's a one-time deal, I have no doubt as well that OKC would turn out very well for such a one-time event. It would be totally worth it.

bluedogok
07-13-2010, 08:56 PM
If they get an ALMS race and support classes it wouldn't be just OKC supporting it, it would be the middle of the country, I know that I would head up there for it even if we had one here. F1 in Indy had little support from the Indianapolis area, they are into open wheel and short track (dirt or asphalt) racing and the support for even Nascar by Indy is mediocre, most of the fans at the Brickyard race are from elsewhere. Right now there is no ALMS race between Road Atlanta/Mid-Ohio to the east and Miller outside Salt Lake, I could see OKC and Austin getting on the calendar. There was a race in Houston around Reliant/Astrodome in 2007 as a support race to Champ Car until they merged with the IRL and the race was canceled for 2008. ALMS was not prepared to take on the full cost of that race only a month before it was scheduled so it was dropped, I had looked into corner working there.

There is an interview with Tavo Hellmund about the Austin F1 track in this weeks GPWeek Magazine (http://mag.gpweek.com/), page 22.

BoulderSooner
08-05-2010, 04:59 AM
• OKC Grand Prix leased 2,916 square feet of office space at 428 Dean McGee. Tom Fields handled the transaction

Read more: http://newsok.com/real-deal-transactions-for-oklahoma-county/article/3481027?custom_click=pod_headline_real-estate-housing#ixzz0vjCUfFbb

rkjg24
08-24-2010, 06:18 PM
According to what I've been reading, it's almost a done deal, and I've also seen rumblings about an IndyCar race as well. I'm not a big fan of the initial track layout, though:

http://i34.tinypic.com/6tcn5d.jpg

Watson410
08-24-2010, 06:36 PM
According to what I've been reading, it's almost a done deal, and I've also seen rumblings about an IndyCar race as well. I'm not a big fan of the initial track layout, though:

http://i34.tinypic.com/6tcn5d.jpg

I haven't heard anything about the IndyCar series, but I did wonder that the other day because they were interviewing Marco Andretti on the Sports Animal. I thought to myself, "why else would they be interviewing the Legend of open wheel racing?!?" but I didn't want to jump the gun! OKC hosting a IndyCar Series would be HUGE!!!

dmoor82
08-24-2010, 06:49 PM
Nice little article here from racer.com http://www.racer.com/alms-set-for-new-street-races/article/176408/

OKC@heart
08-24-2010, 07:08 PM
How great an event OKC could make that on the 4th of July! Would be another awesome way to showcase this great city and draw national attention to us yet again!

bluedogok
08-24-2010, 08:33 PM
I haven't heard anything about the IndyCar series, but I did wonder that the other day because they were interviewing Marco Andretti on the Sports Animal. I thought to myself, "why else would they be interviewing the Legend of open wheel racing?!?" but I didn't want to jump the gun! OKC hosting a IndyCar Series would be HUGE!!!
Marco is the grandson of the legend that is Mario.....Michael's son and one of his drivers.

The ALMS race in Houston (and some other markets) ran as a support series to Champ Car, they might have run a few as support to an IRL race or two as well. I would rather have the ALMS race as the primary race although the IRL may get their stuff together with a new car and Tony G. out of the picture.

dmoor82
08-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Yea,this would be very cool you could also have jets from Tinker flyover before The race too.This would be a great thing for OKC!

BoulderSooner
08-27-2010, 04:27 PM
OKC Grand Prix .. july 2-4 2011 www.grandprixokc.com

dmoor82
08-27-2010, 04:38 PM
^^ Sweet,I'm going to this thing!

Decious
08-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Another good way to blow my money!!!! I'm there.

SkyWestOKC
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
Awesome! I'll be buying some tickets as soon as they go on sale.

rkjg24
08-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Per KOCO, the city council will vote Tuesday to host the race for up to 5 years. The course will cost $7 million to make.

Steve
08-27-2010, 06:41 PM
I will have a story tomorrow that strays from the press release. I think many of you will find it interesting.

Platemaker
08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
This is AS exciting as the arrival of the Thunder.

okcboy
08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Agree. I heard it to being the equivalent of haveing a final four in your city every year.

Platemaker
08-27-2010, 06:58 PM
LA Times says that the Long Beach Grand Prix brings in 170,000 fans... WOW. Better start a hotel building boom!
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/apr/19/business/la-fi-grand-prix19-2010apr19

bluedogok
08-27-2010, 07:55 PM
We will make our way up there for it next year....

I saw Scott Tinsley as one of the "staff", is that the former PC West QB?

rkjg24
08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I will have a story tomorrow that strays from the press release. I think many of you will find it interesting.
In what sense?

Watson410
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
This is HUGE NEWS!!! It's great being apart of OKC during these times of rapid growth. I CAN NOT wait for this race!! I hope they agree (Tuesday) to the 5 year deal.

soonerguru
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM

Do you have to be such a tease? Let's make a deal: we all promise to click on your story tomorrow if you provide a little more details to back up your comments. How about it?

betts
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
It's almost tomorrow. The DOK typically puts up their new articles after midnight. So, you may not have to wait long.

ljbab728
08-27-2010, 11:12 PM
This is something I would never attend personally because auto racing is totally boring to me. With that said, I'm in complete support of this proposal and will be keeping my fingers crossed that it will be approved because I see it as a big plus in OKC's evolution and will attract much positive attention to our city.

dcsooner
08-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Steve,
If as your article suggests this race will alter project 180, I am against it (being held downtown). Project 180 is significantly more critical to the long term vibrancy/sustainability of DT. Also, I agree street maintenance will be a huge cost. Move the course OK, otherwise no.

rkjg24
08-28-2010, 08:13 AM
If the race isn't going to be downtown, then where will it be? It would have been pretty neat to have it in Bricktown.

Rover
08-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I have read Steve's article this morning. I think that we don't have very many details to support the anti side, but the pro side has lots to promise.

Why can't any special considerations for the race be considered in the street designs for the 180 project? They can work very well together. I think the timing is great for this to happen. If both sides work together and egos don't get in the way, this is a potential big, big win for everybody in OKC.

Folks, the image of this type racing worldwide is way higher than NASCAR, even though it isn't the "Southern" populace sport that NASCAR is. To do this well would be a great image tool for OKC, as well as a great income generator.

Seems to me that with OKC pursuing the NBA, Rowing, and now Grand Prix racing, we are positioned to have a really good WORLDWIDE image that will help tremendously in being able to attract investment and corporate attention for more progressive and city friendly businesses like biotech, etc.

I actually think that OKC is joining Austin as a player in the up and coming world cities category.

bluedogok
08-28-2010, 09:37 AM
I still like the idea of an urban track in a large city park like they run the F1 and Nascar Nationwide races on in Montreal (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve (http://www.circuitgillesvilleneuve.ca/)) on Île Notre-Dame. The Melbourne race is also run on the Albert Park track (Wiki - Melbourne Grand Prix Circuit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Grand_Prix_Circuit)). The only permanent facilities are the pit lane and garage areas, for the month of the race the barriers and other things needed for the race are constructed and then taken down after the race and the rest of the year they are park roads. I always thought the old Downtown Airpark area would have been a great location for one of those.

Rover
08-28-2010, 09:43 AM
Think of how cool this will be to run around and through the new core-to-shore park and into downtown past the Devon Center and Ford Center with outdoor giant video panel, towards a more mature river. Spectacular image for OKC to broadcast worldwide.

soonerguru
08-28-2010, 10:23 AM
After reading Steve's article today, consider me opposed to doing the Grand Prix downtown. That was a very quick bandwagon ride for me.

Platemaker
08-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Project 180 isn't finished.... it's barely started.... who says the course can't be moved every year as the project changes?? I really don't think this is an opportunity that we should let pass by. I can see Main or Reno west of Walker, Broadway north of 5th and, Classen all being used at some point after Project 180. Also... a prefect use for the Boulevard. Check out Baltimore's Grand Prix Course Map.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104344503293271002446.00048ee9edb27134dbfd9

Platemaker
08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
This wouldn't conflict with the first year's Project 180... and could be reasjusted as the year's go on...
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104344503293271002446.00048ee9d9cbd37f0efff

rkjg24
08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Project 180 isn't finished.... it's barely started.... who says the course can't be moved every year as the project changes?? I really don't think this is an opportunity that we should let pass by. I can see Main or Reno west of Walker, Broadway north of 5th and, Classen all being used at some point after Project 180. Also... a prefect use for the Boulevard. Check out Baltimore's Grand Prix Course Map.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=104344503293271002446.00048ee9edb27134dbfd9

I agree 100%. This is going to be phenomenal for this little big city of ours, especially if we can attract other series.

Steve
08-28-2010, 08:17 PM
City staff analysis shows street-based Grand Prix races have poor track record, OKC event would lose money first few years. Event requires taxpayers to front $6.9 million for the event. http://www.newsok.com/article/3489688

Also - event won't be in Bricktown. Promoters want Project 180 considered, but former Mayor Ron Norick, veteran in racing industry, and city staff warn Project 180 improvements will be affected by racing...

okcboy
08-28-2010, 08:24 PM
7mil for a world class event that will get paid back by a solid local owner in 10 years.
Not to mention all the economic residuals. I say no brainer.

Steve
08-28-2010, 08:27 PM
The $6.9 million would get paid IF the event lasts for 10 years. So far there is only one example of a street-based race lasting more than three years - and that's in Long Beach. There is no clause guaranteeing pay-off of the $6.9 million if the race folds in two years. I'm not saying this is a good or bad deal - I'm just presenting the sober facts instead of the hype others are putting out.

Steve
08-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Council OKs $2 million Tower Tech loan

By Jack Money, Steve Lackmeyer
Staff Writers
Wednesday, November 3, 1999
Edition: CITY, Section: NEWS, Page 10-A
A divided Oklahoma City Council decided Tuesday it will lend an additional $2 million to Tower Tech Inc., giving the struggling cooling tower manufacturer the financing it needs to survive a cash crunch.

Council members didn't discuss the merits of the loan during Tuesday's meeting. But the two who voted against it - Mayor Kirk Humphreys and Councilman Jack Cornett - later expressed concerns about whether the city will see the promised repayments.

Humphreys said the loan carries a risk of default because of the company's financial situation.

"It's money that could be spent on other areas of our city... putting sidewalks in neighborhoods, street lamps, improving parks, redoing streets....

"It's not that taxpayers will have to pony up directly," he said. "But it will cost them if those funds are not available for other needs in our city."

The company sought the loan to help offset losses of more than $1 million just in 1999. Harold Curtis, Tower Tech's chief executive officer, said the company has spent about $42 million to develop technology related to its patented cooling tower design.

The company has a $26 million debt, Curtis said Tuesday. Some of the company's problems were caused by a temporary plant shutdown this year because of design difficulties with the towers.

Its financial difficulties were eased somewhat by sale of its tower rental operation for $13.5 million. But the company still showed a $761,000 net loss through August. A Securities and Exchange Commission filing projected a working capital deficit of more than $10 million.

The loan approved by council members on Tuesday must be repaid within a year, plus 6 percent interest.

Councilman Guy Liebmann said the company is unique within the city. Liebmann, former owner of an ice plant, said Tower Tech's cooling towers don't rust - unlike ones he had used.

"The company is definitely here to stay and it is going to take off," he said.

Tower Tech has received government loans before, including $4 million from the Oklahoma Industries Authority and $1.25 million from Oklahoma City to move the company from Chickasha and help build its new plant. City officials said the company is in good standing on those loans.

Curtis predicted his company will survive with the city's help. He said his company moved into Oklahoma City to be closer to the interstate and airport, and to be within a free trade zone that reduced its tax liabilities.

The business is bringing its technologies to fruition, and Curtis said he expects to be profitable soon.

"It is a crucial time for our company as it is in the final stages of development. With a little bit of help, you can get through easily, so we see prosperous days ahead," Curtis said.

OUTCOME: The company later filed for bankruptcy and the city lost the federal funds.

bluedogok
08-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Most of the street based races have failed because of the local promoter failing or safety concerns. The Houston race lasted one year because the anchor was the Champ Car World Series, ALMS was a support series. It would have run a second year if Champ Car hadn't of merged with the Indy Racing League and the IRL dropping the race since they had another race the same weekend and was lost in the merger. In fact most of the street races run in recent years were Champ Car races so when it folded that spelled doom for most of them. A street race done right can be pretty entertaining, Valencia and Singapore in F1 are street races and the 24 Hours of LeMans is mostly a street race. The Ponca City Grand Prix (http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/OK/PoncaCity.html) ran for years and was pretty popular until it had safety issues.

The North American Motorsports Pages (http://www.na-motorsports.com/index.html) has a lot of information on current and historical race tracks including street circuits.

rkjg24
08-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Steve: No offense, but it sounds like you're very opposed to it.

Steve
08-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Nope. I'm very opposed to the cheerleading coverage I've seen out of radio and tv. It's my intention to show the good - which I've done as well as anyone else - but also show the risks, which nobody else is doing. I'm not Brad Lund's public relations person - I'm a reporter. I'm here to show the full picture.

okcboy
08-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I think local ownership might help the events stability and having a track in place downtown would be a huge asset in luring other events if this one doesn't work out. Another step in positioning our city for long term success.

Platemaker
08-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I, for one, think that the amount of public cheerleading this should be an indication of the public want.