View Full Version : Places to live in OKC

dankrutka
07-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I am looking to move from Norman to OKC within the next month. I don't know a lot about good places to live. I am in my late 20 and I work in south OKC. I really like to live within walking distance of either Bricktown or Midtown because I still like to go out with friends from time to time. I'm looking to rent and my price range is between $500-700 per month. I have friends that live in Deep Deuce and so I'm going to look into what they have available, but I need some other options. Do you guys have any suggestions?

HOT ROD
07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Park Harvey, right in the CBD, would be my best guess for a start; maybe also Regency Tower.

JIMBO
07-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Why would living down town and commuting to the south side 5 days a week and then walking to your friends 2 days a week
be preferable to walking to work 5 days a week and commuting to your friends 2days a week.

Steve
07-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Jimbo, it's probably because there are a lot of things to do downtown and it's a fun place to live, especially if you're young and single. There are several people I know who live downtown and commute to work in the suburbs.

dankrutka
07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Why would living down town and commuting to the south side 5 days a week and then walking to your friends 2 days a week
be preferable to walking to work 5 days a week and commuting to your friends 2days a week.

I work at the Moore/OKC border and there is no places to live there that I would enjoy. There is no vibrancy in any area of that community. I also only work about 8 months a year so I would not want to spend my time in a sprawled out and lifeless area. I don't have cable because I enjoy exploring and interacting with others in the community where I live. I would prefer to live in an area that I like than work in an area I like. I have lived near Campus Corner for the last few years and nothing beats walking/riding my bike over there for a beer, dinner, or just to see what's going. I love that kind of life. That's just my personal philosophy. It may not be for everyone.

dankrutka
07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I drove around today and saw a lot of interesting places. I saw Regency Tower and I'll check out Park Harvey. Any other suggestions?

Architect2010
07-05-2010, 11:50 PM
These may be above your budget as I don't know their rents specifically. You could check out the Seiber Hotel Apartments in Midtown, one of Midtown Renaissance's 3 new apartment-rental buildings, the Park Harvey, Regency, Legacy at Arts Quarter, or the Aberdeen.

Midtowner
07-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Sycamore Square is probably the best deal per sq. ft. in downtown. I used to rent there for in the 900s.

You might also check out Regency Tower.

Where you're going to get hung up at Park Harvey is with the parking. The recently had a deal with a garage, but they lost that deal. I don't know whether they have a doorman to help you with your stuff, but I can tell you when I've visited offices on the first floor, I haven't seen a doorman there. I believe the above two have free parking, or at least attached parking.

Also, the Park Harvey has a coin-op laundromat, no W/D hookups. That might be okay if you're wanting to meet people, but for hermits like me, no way.

The prices you mentioned will probably cut you out of a lot. I don't think there is anything remotely close to downtown for $500/month. $700 is way on the cheap side too. Don't forget to factor in parking.

adaniel
07-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I drove around today and saw a lot of interesting places. I saw Regency Tower and I'll check out Park Harvey. Any other suggestions?

At your price range, you'll squeeze into a small studio at best at these, although I do have a friend who lives in a studio at Regency and liked it. If you will be okay not living in the dead center of downtown, you can find some great deals in midtown like this place:

http://www.oig.biz/claremont/

I'm about to move to midtown, and it was kinda hard to find places if you're depending on craiglist, Oklahoman classifieds, etc. as they tend to go fast. Even still I got a great deal on a nice condo rental off Harvey. You may have more success going that route.

flippity
07-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Park Harvey, right in the CBD, would be my best guess for a start; maybe also Regency Tower.

those are gonna be more than $700/month

CuatrodeMayo
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
The Regency will likely be the price leader for a 1-bed. A couple of years ago when I moved back to OKC, I came close to renting a 2-bed/2-bath on the 16th floor. It was $910, bills included.

ljbab728
07-06-2010, 10:04 PM
those are gonna be more than $700/month

Their websites indicate that prices start at around $700 - $750.

DirtLaw
07-07-2010, 09:12 AM
I am looking to move from Norman to OKC within the next month. I don't know a lot about good places to live. I am in my late 20 and I work in south OKC. I really like to live within walking distance of either Bricktown or Midtown because I still like to go out with friends from time to time. I'm looking to rent and my price range is between $500-700 per month. I have friends that live in Deep Deuce and so I'm going to look into what they have available, but I need some other options. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I lived in the Montgomery for two years and loved it! The have 24 hour concierge service and the property manager is very nice. They are extremely accommodating and go out of their way to make everything easy. I had a dog when I was there and they would go and take him for walks if I was not going to be able to make it back at lunch, etc. It is walking distance to bricktown and the Ford Center and just a couple hundred yards from City Hall and the Civic Center.

Spartan
07-07-2010, 01:11 PM

You are going to walk to work on the south side? Oooookay.

dismayed
07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Now that really would be an adventure, and you'd be bound to meet lots of interesting people.

Spartan
07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Yeah I guess. You see people walking (or laying) in the middle of the street on the southside all the time, and they've probably never seen a sidewalk in their life unless they left the southside at some point.

On a side note..

'm looking to rent and my price range is between $500-700 per month.

Have you tried the Brownstones at Maywood Park?

DirtLaw
07-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Have you tried the Brownstones at Maywood Park?

These are to own units and not rental units last I checked? Also, they are the priciest residential in the downtown area last time I was looking at them. If I am not mistaken, they start around $500,000. There is a new portion of the maywood park that is more affordable, but they are not called the brownstones I do not think.

dankrutka
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
These are to own units and not rental units last I checked? Also, they are the priciest residential in the downtown area last time I was looking at them. If I am not mistaken, they start around $500,000. There is a new portion of the maywood park that is more affordable, but they are not called the brownstones I do not think.

How many of these units are sold. When you drive through there it looks like a ghost town.

BBatesokc
07-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, your budget is going to limit your choices if you want one of the newer or popular apts. I lived in the Regency, Sycamore Sq. and the condos near 8th and Francis over 10 years ago and all were higher than $700/month back then.

You might look into a roommate situation or renting in a 4-8plex downtown. There are some neat smaller older complexes downtown. Just check out the neighborhoods. I know someone that rents a garage apartment in Heritage Hills behind a very nice house. Its really nice and only $625/month.

Depending on your lifestyle, roommates might be the way to go. When I lived downtown I lived on my own but often considered a roommate because I was never home.

Besides, after getting married I realized how crazy I was to be spending $700 - $950 a month on rent when I could have been making a payment on a pretty decent home for that same money.

metro
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
yeah, park harvey is your best bet, if not sycamore square and maybe regency. otherwise you'll probably be priced out of the market unless you look to rent in midtown

HOT ROD
07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
it is nice to know downtown has such great options now. Just consider it 15-20+ years ago. ....

Spartan
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM

Ha. That is awesome that someone took that seriously (I was intentionally naming the most expensive downtown housing I could think of). I was wondering if anyone would respond to that..no offense :)

CuatrodeMayo
07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
You might look into a roommate situation or renting in a 4-8plex downtown. There are some neat smaller older complexes downtown. Just check out the neighborhoods. I know someone that rents a garage apartment in Heritage Hills behind a very nice house. Its really nice and only $625/month.

Check this out: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/1808586829.html It's right near the heart of Midtown.

BBatesokc
07-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Check this out: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/apa/1808586829.html It's right near the heart of Midtown.

Love it! If I was single I would so check that place out. At just over 400 square feet I'd probably have to do my furniture shopping at IKEA though!

Actually, tiny living USUALLY helps people to keep things simple and not buying too much stuff that just weighs you down.

dankrutka
07-09-2010, 01:12 PM

It is funny you posted this. I put a deposit down on a studio at Claremont that is $500 a month. It's smaller than I wanted, but the place is nice, the rent is affordable, and the location is excellent. Here is what I learned from the process:
1) If you are on a tight budget (like I am)... FIND A ROOMMATE! There are so many affordable options down/midtown with a roommate, but if you are on your own then the price range is probably $800-1200. The price barely jumps for 2 bedroom places. Deep Deuce charged just over $800 for a single and $880 for a double.
2) I really liked Park Harvey. They presented themselves well and I could have had a place there for just over $800. I was tempted, but I felt like that was a little too much to spend.
3) Tons of people told me to check out the Paseo District, but the area didn't seem great. I am the type of person that would live in an area like that, but the area seemed kind of run down and I never found a good option.
4) Regency Tower was probably the worst place I visited. While the people were nice, I felt like I would be living in a dramatically overpriced place that resembled a run down hotel.
5) Several other options were just a little more expensive than my budget can afford (Legacy, Montgomery), but they seemed nice.

Overall I was impressed with the number of options in down/midtown, but prices are too high if you are not making the big bucks... unless you have a roommate. Thanks for all the suggestions.

dankrutka
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Love it! If I was single I would so check that place out. At just over 400 square feet I'd probably have to do my furniture shopping at IKEA though!

Actually, tiny living USUALLY helps people to keep things simple and not buying too much stuff that just weighs you down.

Great point. I love to keep things simple and I'm going to have to get rid of some stuff to fit in there... but I'm looking forward to that.

BBatesokc
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
My friends referred to my apt in the Regency as "the nursing home." I had roommates before moving downtown and if you get a good one it's a great way to live nice and affordable. I loved Sycamore Square. I lived on the North side and rented from an individual who owned the unit. They were cheaper than the apt side to the South. The condos at 8th and Francis are owner rented too and come in all sizes and prices.

I had a friend get his security guard license many years ago just so he could live downtown and trade free rent for being the on call security guard at night.

dismayed
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah I guess. You see people walking (or laying) in the middle of the street on the southside all the time

Laying in the street? Are they drunk?

Midtowner
07-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Laying in the street? Are they drunk?

I saw that once around the jail. An obviously mentally ill woman laying down in traffic begging to die clutching some teddy bear she was calling her daughter. Can't make that stuff up.

MonkeesFan
07-10-2010, 03:01 AM
I am considering applying at Claremont also, I am looking for a place near my work, it looks tiny as hell but I do love the hardwood floors but I would have to decide where to place my stuff...