View Full Version : Dead pine trees all over city

old okie
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
As we drive all over OKC, we've noticed many of the pine trees have been severely affected by either a blight, insect infestation, or some sort of pine tree disease. There are many trees in various states of dying; some have lost all their needles.

Are all of these trees "goners"--or can they come back from the problem? They just look so unsightly and pitiful that the dead trees distract from the attempts by the City, citizens, and businesses to make OKC attractive.

Who is responsible for taking down the dead trees? Is there any way to "suggest" or "push" to have the dead trees removed?

To the mods: didn't know where else to post this as it affects the entire City, but feel free to move to a more appropriate part of the forum.

rcjunkie
06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
As we drive all over OKC, we've noticed many of the pine trees have been severely affected by either a blight, insect infestation, or some sort of pine tree disease. There are many trees in various states of dying; some have lost all their needles.

Are all of these trees "goners"--or can they come back from the problem? They just look so unsightly and pitiful that the dead trees distract from the attempts by the City, citizens, and businesses to make OKC attractive.

Who is responsible for taking down the dead trees? Is there any way to "suggest" or "push" to have the dead trees removed?
To the mods: didn't know where else to post this as it affects the entire City, but feel free to move to a more appropriate part of the forum.

Property owners are responsible for the tree removal. If on a center median or park, of course, it's the city's responsibility.

Dustin
06-27-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw something about this on the news a little while back. I can't remember if it's a disease or bug infestation but I remember them saying that it's pretty much irreversible. You either cut the tree down or leave it to die.

Edmond Earl
06-27-2010, 04:14 PM
I drove through Quail Creek today and could not believe all the dead and dying pine trees. Surely if this was a bug some of these owners would of hired someone to treat the problem.

Thunder
06-27-2010, 04:38 PM
It was on KFOR. We are under the attack of the Beetles. That is what killing all those pine trees. The beetles are eating their way inside the heart of the trees. Once it happens, there is nothing to do. On the bright side, no more oily pine trees to feed the fires.

adaniel
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
It was on KFOR. We are under the attack of the Beetles. That is what killing all those pine trees. The beetles are eating their way inside the heart of the trees. Once it happens, there is nothing to do. On the bright side, no more oily pine trees to feed the fires.

I think you are thinking of the cedar trees which are an invasive species and are not at all native to this area. I was driving along May yesterday and noticed all of the pine trees had kind of a gross brownish gray hue to them, like they were sickly. I had no idea that it was some sort of infestation. I know that some of the forests in Southern Colorado have been devastated because of a beetle infestation.

On a side note, I know a lot of the old post oak forests from OKC northeastward to the Sapulpa/Tulsa area are in big trouble. The ice storm 2 years ago has opened a lot of those trees to disease. An OSU trained forester told me the only way to really clear it is to have a big wildfire come through and just "restart" the entire forest.

pw405
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
are there any preventive measures one can take? I have a new home and I planted a pine in the back yard that used to be our Christmas Tree... its the tallest tree on my street now and I would hate to lose it!!!

Larry OKC
06-27-2010, 10:12 PM
May depend on the type of pine/evergreen? The ones I noticed along Memorial didn't seem to be the typical Christmas Tree variety.

Thunder
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Treat the lawns surrounding the trees to reduce bugs, pests, and beetles. Its up to you to set up the first line of defense. If that is not there, then say farewell to the tree.

Btw, shouldn't the harsh winter that we've had kill all those beetles? Quite amazing how they still live and gained in population...

possumfritter
06-28-2010, 07:29 AM
I drove through Quail Creek today and could not believe all the dead and dying pine trees. Surely if this was a bug some of these owners would of hired someone to treat the problem.

I saw this starting to happen in Quail Creek back in the summer of 2008, and, I just noticed that it is in our neighborhoods in NW OKC around Council and Hefner.

onthestrip
06-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Treat the lawns surrounding the trees to reduce bugs, pests, and beetles. Its up to you to set up the first line of defense. If that is not there, then say farewell to the tree.

Btw, shouldn't the harsh winter that we've had kill all those beetles? Quite amazing how they still live and gained in population...

I have an uncle who lives in Colorado and he says that to kill the beetles, temperatures need to be below freezing for over 2 weeks, or something like that. But Im not even sure if thats why Oklahomas pines are dying, or if its the same type of beetle.

It does seem to be one particular pine tree though. The wide, rounder pine is the one that seems to have been hit. I havent noticed many taller, slender pines dying off.

possumfritter
06-28-2010, 10:04 AM
old okie...Have you contacted OSU Cooperative Extension Service?

Oklahoma County — Oklahoma County (http://oces.okstate.edu/oklahoma)

mugofbeer
06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
It seems like I recall a while back seeing something in the DOK about a disease killing the pines in OKC, not the beetles. If someone has theability to search back files in the DOK they may find something.

soonerguru
06-28-2010, 11:38 AM
This is happening in Colorado and New Mexico as well. The pinion forest near Santa Fe is plagued by this. Apparently, climate change is a factor.

foodiefan
06-28-2010, 12:15 PM
There are several things that can have a negative effect on pines in Oklahoma. . .pinetip moth, needle blight, tip blight, and pinewood nematode. If it's the nematode, the tree will die. Over the years, several areas in the City have lost their pines to the nematode. Call the OSU Exentsion Center, 713-1125 and ask to speak to a Master Gardener. . .they can usually do a diagnosis over the phone and send you Fact Sheets on the disease and treatment/action you need to take. If the tree is in your yard, you could also cut a small branch and take it into the extension (930 N. Portland) for a "hands-on" diagnosis.

lasomeday
06-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it is mainly the Austrian and Japanese Black pines. The southern pines are more resistent to the disease.

Try planting loblolly, slash, or chinese pines.

brownb01
07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
I think you are thinking of the cedar trees which are an invasive species and are not at all native to this area. I was driving along May yesterday and noticed all of the pine trees had kind of a gross brownish gray hue to them, like they were sickly. I had no idea that it was some sort of infestation. I know that some of the forests in Southern Colorado have been devastated because of a beetle infestation.

On a side note, I know a lot of the old post oak forests from OKC northeastward to the Sapulpa/Tulsa area are in big trouble. The ice storm 2 years ago has opened a lot of those trees to disease. An OSU trained forester told me the only way to really clear it is to have a big wildfire come through and just "restart" the entire forest.

No, not cedar trees. This beetle is affecting PINE trees...here in OK. There is no treatment, or cure. Once infected the tree will be dead in a few weeks.

All you ever wanted to know..
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_pinewilt/pinewilt.htm

As you stated, this has been a huge problem for Colorado as well.

TulsaRobert
07-06-2010, 05:33 AM
We've got quite a few pine trees up here in Tulsa being affected by it as well. It's a shame, because the many of the trees are just now starting to mature. :-(

Larry OKC
07-11-2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.newsok.com/pine-wilt-disease-killing-trees-across-oklahoma./article/3474844?custom_click=pod_headline_life