View Full Version : "Riff-Raff" @ Capitol Hill Rockin' Roll Reunion

JTL
06-27-2010, 07:00 AM
It truly appears that the good people who worked hard to put on the Capitol Hill Rockin Roll Reunion will certainly have their work cut out for them should they decide to do this again in the future. Good intentions are great; however. The afternoon was plagued by local undesirable riff-raff attempting to highjack the show and a blatten attempt to intimidate show participants (art display and food vendors alike). Those individuals certainly made their statement and scared most of the participants away in their own quest to let all of us know "this is thier town and whites aren't welcome!" They won't have to worry about us coming back to "their community" because many of us (would have money and can help to revitalize the area with our hard earned money) won't be back! After witnessing what I saw yesterday, I really feel for the folks in Arizona who deal with it times 1000... As far as I am concerned, I will NEVER set foot in that area again and will not spend one hard-earned dime with this hostile community!

flintysooner
06-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Wow. What happened?

Doug Loudenback
06-27-2010, 08:11 AM
I was wondering the same. In a thread in the Nostalgia section, starting at about this post ... OKCTalk - View Single Post - "Capitol Hill Rockin Reunion"...graduates from all southside high schools (http://www.okctalk.com/nostalgia-memories/20712-capitol-hill-rockin-reunion-graduates-all-southside-high-schools-3.html#post342145) ... reports have been made of yesterday's activity and nothing of this sort was mentioned, only positives as of right now. I've posted a link to this thread there to get feedback from the area where most Capitol Hill people seem to post. We shall see what reports may or may not develop.

kevinpate
06-27-2010, 09:04 AM
If the OP is accurate, that is indeed sad. Conversely, while I wasn't there for this event, in the times when I have been in the Capitol Hill area I have never run into any blatant you git outta here attitude.

USG '60
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
If the OP is accurate, that is indeed sad. Conversely, while I wasn't there for this event, in the times when I have been in the Capitol Hill area I have never run into any blatant you git outta here attitude.

I was there from 10 until 3 and saw nothing of the sort. I saw not ONE thing negative occur nor ONE person behave in ANY way untoward. WHAT on earth do you think you saw and when was it? I wanna know as I am heading back down there in a little while.

soonerguru
06-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Color me skeptical of the initial post. There seems to be an agenda at work here.

JTL
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Seems the "locals" in the area were not aware of what was going the take place this weekend. Soon after Mr. Kay wrapped up his broadcasting set, some of those "locals" (approx. 3:00pm) decided they weren't too happy with the nostalgic theme and decided to set up their own ghetto blaster just outside of the barracades east of 25th & Harvey. Needless to say, they sat around in large groups taunting some of the artist set up close to their location, played their obnoxious brand of militant ghetto rap as loud as it could possibly be played (speakers pointed in the direction of the festival & drowning out the stage performers south of the intersection of 25th & Harvey), and several (who had obviously been drinking) attempted to rally support of their group to yell out obsenities about "unwelcomed whites coming down to their neighborhood!" As I witnessed this with my own eyes/ears, it did not take but a few minutes for several of the artist to gather up their goods and make a hasty departure. More and more people fled the scene in disgust, including the three mobile food vendors (which there were suppose to be more but pulled out last minute due to "circumstances"). Where were the cops? There were a few OK County Sherrifs Deputies riding around the area, but just so happened they were not in the immediate vicinity when all of this occured. Talked to one food operator who said to me "they refuse to do business with us because we're not locals" then this person told me that he had been propositioned by a dope dealer soliciting drugs at his concession window. He said after that, it was time to get the hell out of town because they feared that their equipment might be vandalized that night after shutdown. He went one to say that he had been told there would be no armed security watching the equipment, only one unarmed "rent a cop."

papaOU
06-27-2010, 11:19 AM
It truly appears that the good people who worked hard to put on the Capitol Hill Rockin Roll Reunion will certainly have their work cut out for them should they decide to do this again in the future. Good intentions are great; however. The afternoon was plagued by local undesirable riff-raff attempting to highjack the show and a blatten attempt to intimidate show participants (art display and food vendors alike). Those individuals certainly made their statement and scared most of the participants away in their own quest to let all of us know "this is thier town and whites aren't welcome!" They won't have to worry about us coming back to "their community" because many of us (would have money and can help to revitalize the area with our hard earned money) won't be back! After witnessing what I saw yesterday, I really feel for the folks in Arizona who deal with it times 1000... As far as I am concerned, I will NEVER set foot in that area again and will not spend one hard-earned dime with this hostile community!

Don't know where you were but not THE Capitol Hill for sure. I spent nearly the entire afternoon there and did not see or hear one negative word or deed from anyone. Riff-raff? What riff-raff? I never came across any! Never saw an individual, attendee, vendor, or artist. I am going back today Sunday, as well as many people I know who were there yesterday.
I don't know who you are, but it's people like you that give Capitol Hill a bad rap due to your racism and hidden agenda. People like you are slowly becoming a thing of the past.
By the way, I am lilly white and still live in Capitol Hill just two blocks from the event. I have never had a problem with anyone of any nationality.

JTL
06-27-2010, 11:20 AM
When you get down there today (Sunday) ask "where did the vendors go and why did they leave?" You won't see any of them today, they began slowing shutting their trailers down yesterday in order to leave the scene (sad but true). I'd like to clarify that the promoters that I met are truly very kind people who really want to change the perception of Capitol Hill and are trying to make this happen but sadly they do not have the support of the majority that live in the area to help them acheive this mission. I have no agenda at work here.

papaOU
06-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Seems the "locals" in the area were not aware of what was going the take place this weekend. Soon after Mr. Kay wrapped up his broadcasting set, some of those "locals" (approx. 3:00pm) decided they weren't too happy with the nostalgic theme and decided to set up their own ghetto blaster just outside of the barracades east of 25th & Harvey. Needless to say, they sat around in large groups taunting some of the artist set up close to their location, played their obnoxious brand of militant ghetto rap as loud as it could possibly be played (speakers pointed in the direction of the festival & drowning out the stage performers south of the intersection of 25th & Harvey), and several (who had obviously been drinking) attempted to rally support of their group to yell out obsenities about "unwelcomed whites coming down to their neighborhood!" As I witnessed this with my own eyes/ears, it did not take but a few minutes for several of the artist to gather up their goods and make a hasty departure. More and more people fled the scene in disgust, including the three mobile food vendors (which there were suppose to be more but pulled out last minute due to "circumstances"). Where were the cops? There were a few OK County Sherrifs Deputies riding around the area, but just so happened they were not in the immediate vicinity when all of this occured. Talked to one food operator who said to me "they refuse to do business with us because we're not locals" then this person told me that he had been propositioned by a dope dealer soliciting drugs at his concession window. He said after that, it was time to get the hell out of town because they feared that their equipment might be vandalized that night after shutdown. He went one to say that he had been told there would be no armed security watching the equipment, only one unarmed "rent a cop."

There were plenty of law-enforcement personnel in the area and using atvs. If one of the food vendors were upset and ready to get out of there it's because no one was buying. Better food and cheaper prices were available at Jamie's or the Coney Island. Both locations owned and operated by locals. If Mr. Kay was in a hurry to get out of there, it was probably because in that heat he was afraid his face would melt.

As a local myself I want to stress that persons like you are not welcomed here. Stay out of my "hood"

BBatesokc
06-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I was there yesterday too. I didn't see any of the behavior expressed by JTL but was a bit disappointed in the event. I figured it was most likely the hot temperatures. We're heading back out today. I did though see a OCPD presence and I know bike patrols will be in the area today.

JTL
06-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Ha, ha, ha! Good one regarding Mr. Kay however I never mentioned anything about Mr. Kay being in a hurry to leave, he was GREAT and we enjoyed him and so did everyone else! He's a fantastic personality and one of Oklahoma's finest!!! Saw lots of law enforcement early on - you are correct, this incident occured late afternoon down by the old theater. We may have a difference of opinion on this subject; however. I am merely a spectator who witnessed this and was saddened that this happened. I was there to enjoy, spend a little money, and take in the new festival. Again, I will say that I truly believe that promoters/coordinators had very good intentions and they were very nice to all of us. I am glad to hear of your pride in the area, this is a positive thing; however. Those offenders previously mentioned had intentions to be disruptive (if only for a short while), it was enough to cause some to leave because they were visitors unfamiliar with the area. Regarding the food vendors being upset - From what I gathered, their immediate concern was they were promised 24hr security (OKC Police, OK Sherrifs, etc) for their property/equipment. The word was that this had changed and only one paid unarmed security detail was going to be there from Saturday night through Sunday (originally 24hr security from Friday through Monday Morning). Vendors left due to the lack of overnight security (trailer are their livelyhoods). Sir, I felt welcomed by the alumni, coordinators, and artist. It was the bad element in the mix that cause me to leave with the others and although their numbers were few, they set out to make their own statement and they acheived what they wanted - to intimidate some of the old folks and run us off! They succeeded! Many of us are too old (and too smart) to fight and have seen a lot of history on our lives and anytime we feel threatened today, it's time from us to relocate to safer surroundings.

papaOU
06-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Ha, ha, ha! Good one regarding Mr. Kay however I never mentioned anything about Mr. Kay being in a hurry to leave, he was GREAT and we enjoyed him and so did everyone else! He's a fantastic personality and one of Oklahoma's finest!!! Saw lots of law enforcement early on - you are correct, this incident occured late afternoon down by the old theater. We may have a difference of opinion on this subject; however. I am merely a spectator who witnessed this and was saddened that this happened. I was there to enjoy, spend a little money, and take in the new festival. Again, I will say that I truly believe that promoters/coordinators had very good intentions and they were very nice to all of us. I am glad to hear of your pride in the area, this is a positive thing; however. Those offenders previously mentioned had intentions to be disruptive (if only for a short while), it was enough to cause some to leave because they were visitors unfamiliar with the area. Regarding the food vendors being upset - From what I gathered, their immediate concern was they were promised 24hr security (OKC Police, OK Sherrifs, etc) for their property/equipment. The word was that this had changed and only one paid unarmed security detail was going to be there from Saturday night through Sunday (originally 24hr security from Friday through Monday Morning). Vendors left due to the lack of overnight security (trailer are their livelyhoods). Sir, I felt welcomed by the alumni, coordinators, and artist. It was the bad element in the mix that cause me to leave with the others and although their numbers were few, they set out to make their own statement and they acheived what they wanted - to intimidate some of the old folks and run us off! They succeeded! Many of us are too old (and too smart) to fight and have seen a lot of history on our lives and anytime we feel threatened today, it's time from us to relocate to safer surroundings.

Each of your postings have mentioned money $$$$$ ?

CHHS kid 73
06-27-2010, 05:04 PM
I say Thanks to the people that put this together. I think the heat played the biggest facter in turn out plus this was the first. Try at least a couple more times then judge it. Also cut to one day and get the South OKC Hispanic
Council involved. To the guy that had a problem, remember we pretty much
washed our hands of Capitol Hill and moved our bussiness to the malls. I'm counting myself in there. So I guess it comes down to the fact that we are
in their space.

Prunepicker
06-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I didn't see or hear of anything negative that happened at the event. If it
did I can assure you it would have been mentioned.

Prunepicker
06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Soonergirl26 was working at the highschool tent on W. Commerce and S.
Harvey until 5pm. She said nothing happened.

SoonerGirl26
06-27-2010, 10:43 PM
OK.... I have read all the posts here and want to put in my 2 cents.

I was there on Saturday from 9:30am to 5:00pm manning the SE tent which was just west of Harvey. One of my friends was singing on the little stage area on Harvey--between 25th & 26th. After singing there she went over to Ronnie Kaye's area and sang (this was in front of what used to be Emmer Bros. back in the day). She came back to our tent and I told her that I wanted a picture of her with Ronnie, so she headed back over there. I got caught up with some alumni at our tent and didn't follow her over there. She came back and said that he wasn't over there anymore and that he had already left. She said he probably left because there are some other people who have set up in front of the old Yale Theater and are playing rap music real loud. I could barely hear it and we continued to man our SE booth and talk to people who came by. I'm guessing this would have been in the 3:00-3:30 time frame. About 4:30 we realized that there weren't many people around at all... and were tossing around the idea of shutting down and going home. We saw the people at the CHHS tent packing up their stuff, so we did the same and left around 5:00pm.

If there was something going on where those rappers were we were not aware of it. There were artists near them... one of them being Chebon Dacon. There could have been some shouting or name calling but we never heard any or didn't realize that anything was going on... if there really was. We left because there was hardly anyone around and it had been a LONG HOT day for me.

We also made the decision to not man the SE tent the next day. We just didn't think the crowds would be there... for whatever reasons.... the heat, location, and other events going on around town. I am curious about the crowds today, anyone go down there? Were the food vendors there? Were the artists still there? Did anyone see Kylie Morgan perform... was there a crowd for that?

~~~

JTL
06-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Good reference is Lammy & Jerry Montgomery (THE Promoters) for feedback - they can fill you in on details. By the way, both are GREAT people who are on the front lines putting a lot of sweat equity into revitalizing the area. Jerry witnessed it with her own eyes/ears and was @ ground zero when most of this took place. Most of you were over the hill towards the car show & concert stage area (so was Lammy), so it is very logical that you may not have been aware of any of this. My original thread obviously struck a nerve with hard-core Capitol Hill enthusiast who can defend the turf with all the energy and zest you'd like. I will remind you once again that ALL of the alumni, coordinators, artist were GREAT and it was fun UNTIL a few local mexican "gang-bangers" in the vacinity of the Theater let it be known that they were unhappy about all of this occurring (maybe they felt left out and disrespected - and if they did, so what, it really wasn't about them anyway). This little snapshot reaffirmed a few of our own perceptions about what we'd heard about the area in real time 2010. Like a lot of places, this area has changed and a few of us who were unfamiliar with the area ventured down to give it a try (because after all every said, "come on down it's a safe place"). Me and a few friends did just that and again, it was fun all the while Ronnie Kay was entertaining the crowds. We became very nervous when we saw the belligerence of those "gang-bangers" around the theater taunting the artist and turing up their rap music in a desperate show of force if nothing more to say "look at us, we are here and you can't stop us or do anything about us!" We had one of two choices to make at that time (after witnessing several of the artist, the three food concessioniares and one of the promoters becoming upset about the problem) either stick our heads in the sand and ignore the situation, or make the prudent decision to remove ourselves (like others did) from the situation. As I looked on a began to "re-live" some similar times in my own past where I was on the front line in very violent situations, I chose to remove myself from the situation quickly (without looking back). I will leave you with these last comments on this posting (then move foreward). It is wonderful to be proud of your community and the past that you remember of Capitol Hill back in the good ole days; however. I am an outsider to your community and came by invitation after having a pre-concieved opinion of an area that is in the middle of undergoing a transformation (a take-back) from those that have given it a bad rap (i.e gang-bangers). I hope that those of you who actually live and support this community will succeed in transforming the area. But please understand, comments like "don't come to my hood" are exactly what will continue to keep subburban dwellers like myself from frequenting areas like this. We're not stuck-up, self-rightous or the sort. We would like to come and enjoy with you your proud lineage, and would like to frequent some of the local haunts that we hear so much about from those like yourselves that can be a reference to the area. In order for an area like this to become revitilized and grow into what you would like to see, you will ultimately need the support of those of us who will come to the area and spend money ("$$$$" - as papaOU referred to my last post). If you wish to keep things to yourselves and simply don't care about outsiders coming in to eat at your restaurants and make other monitary purchases in the area then you will succeed in this mission. In order to change the perception of the area, you've got to be willing to help those of us on the outside feel good enough to give it another try. Again, no hidden agenda here. I'd be willing to give it another try - how about reccommending the best restaurant in the area, I'll check it out this week! ;-))

fuzzytoad
06-30-2010, 07:18 PM
how disappointing... I came here hoping to hear that Richard O'Brien had made an appearance at the show, considering the title of the thread..