View Full Version : A Headline in Seattle

cindycat
06-25-2010, 10:42 PM
On the front page of the Seattle Times, they sometimes print small headlines above the masthead, referring to something in an inside section of the paper. This morning it was about a sports story - a University of Washington player and the Thunder. It was as if they couldn't use the words Thunder, OKC or Oklahoma. The headline was:

Ex-Sonics
draft then
trade UW's
Poindexter

Ex-Sonics, huh? We aren't basketball fans but since we moved out here, we've gotten a kick out of all the OKC-hate that goes on. Wish I had a Thunder flag to wave now and then.

Easy180
06-26-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm fairly certain the flag wouldn't stay up long but it would definitely be funny

is the Sonics movement completely dead now or is there still an expectation they will land a replacement in the next few years?

kevinpate
06-26-2010, 08:07 AM
To apply the Sonics brand to a new club appears to require more than is possible.

There is clearly enough wealth in the area to bring bball back into the community. Whether there is truly an interest, let alone the will, to do so seems to be in question.

But perhaps, some day.

StormFan93
06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm fairly certain the flag wouldn't stay up long but it would definitely be funny

is the Sonics movement completely dead now or is there still an expectation they will land a replacement in the next few years?

Nah, I wouldn't say it's completely dead. Frankly I don't think it will ever reach that point. Last week the group who produced "Sonicsgate" received their "Webby Award" in New York with Gary Payton. Overall, it's on the backburner for people in the city, but it's still in people's minds.

StormFan93
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
From what I've witnessed, the interest in bringing back the NBA is there, but it's on the backburner. The fans would be there if the NBA returned (though after what happened, it would probably take a couple of seasons to reestablish the fanbase), but between replacing the Alaskan Way Viaduct, confirming the new police chief, and deciding on what will put in place of the old amusement park at Seattle Center (a Dale Chihuly glass museum and a radio station studio are the most realistic options), there just isn't the focused push for the NBA. And, can you blame the city? KeyArena is now operating in the black. They just won the 2013 NCAA Volleyball Final Four. The Storm (WNBA) and Seattle University Basketball draw well. To city leadership, the non-NBA options have penciled out, and that's all that matters.

Laramie
06-28-2010, 09:12 AM
After watching the events (Schultz sale - PBC purchase, e-mails, trial, MAPS for Hoops, NBA relocation approval...) leading up to the relocation of the Sonics from Seattle to Oklahoma City it became evident that Seattle felt much superior :bright_id to OKC and in this fiasco of trying to make OKC out to be a

"Deliverance City" :LolLolLol or "Hicktown;" Seattle rolled over on her back throughout this debacle and turned a

wishbone manuver in an effort to flee its attack by a city of toothless hillbillies she surrendered and according to some

Sonic fans, OKC snake-charmed, lied, raped, robed and committed many unthinkables to their city of which they are so ashame;

they can't show they face in the high society of the NBA circles because of this mismatch.

The baby's father moved on and threw the mother out with the bathwater and kept the baby.

Oklahoma City takin the Sonics from Seattle was a shame--it was comparable to a mosquito pushing a train.

Seattle feels as though they are too good for the NBA and don't want the NBA back.

If it were a Los Angeles, Las Vegas, San Jose or Mexico City that corncobbed them--it would have been fine; however, that wasn't the case! :dizzy::dizzy:

:yourock: Oklahoma City!

HOT ROD
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
it's only diehard Sonics fanatics and Seattle idiots who have these strong feelings against OKC. Most people could care less, which is exactly why the franchise relocated in the first place. ...

ronronnie1
07-05-2010, 05:18 AM
Ugh @ the Seattle retards. Ten years on and they'll still be b!tching about the "sonics." I'm like, whatever. Let them whine. I'd be depressed too if I lived in that rainy, cloudy, clamy, overcast city. Yeah, whatever.

Kerry
07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Ex-Sonics
draft then
trade UW's
Poindexter

The average Sonics fan probably isn't smart enough to make the connection between the Sonics and Thunder, so the newspaper just dumbs it down to 'ex-Sonics'. I'm fine with that. If the Seattle sports enthusiast wants to stay stuck in 2007 then let them. The rest of the world is moving on.

StormFan93
07-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Ugh @ the Seattle retards. Ten years on and they'll still be b!tching about the "sonics." I'm like, whatever. Let them whine. I'd be depressed too if I lived in that rainy, cloudy, clamy, overcast city. Yeah, whatever.

90°F and Gorgeous all this week, Thank You very much! :D

But to your point, most people don't really b!tch about the departure of the Sonics. We've moved on. KeyArena's got Seattle University basketball in the winter, and is now a fantastic concert venue (http://www.kirotv.com/video/22423299/index.html). People still follow the Mariners, Seahawks, Storm, and now the Sounders (whose attendance numbers are astounding).

Dustin
07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
"We've moved on"? I dont think so...

StormFan93
07-06-2010, 10:14 PM
"We've moved on"? I dont think so...

How so? Please, enlighten me.

Dustin
07-06-2010, 10:24 PM
How so? Please, enlighten me.

Read the first post. "Ex-Sonics" doesn't sound like you've gotten over it.

StormFan93
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
Read the first post. "Ex-Sonics" doesn't sound like you've gotten over it.

You're reading too much into it. I think many people would have read Thunder, and went who? You say "Ex-Sonics", and it resonates more with people.

metro
07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
yeah WNBA, that's exciting.............

StormFan93
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
yeah WNBA, that's exciting.............

When your team is 16-2, it sure is!

Kerry
07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
When your team is 16-2, it sure is!

Nothing wrong with 16-2.

Mr. T in OKC
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I love those lay-ups!!!

StormFan93
07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
I love those lay-ups!!!

Then you sir, should venture down to Tulsa and see the Shock play in the BOK Center

http://shockfreeagentcamp.webs.com/Tulsa.jpg

BDP
07-07-2010, 01:49 PM
What's funny is that "ex-Sonics" really just reminds everyone it's a team they once had and lost. Sure it resonates more, but not in a way I would think anyone would want to encourage...

Either way, I don't care as long as a future headline reads "Ex-Sonics Wins Championship".

kevinpate
07-08-2010, 06:37 AM
They can have their fun, or whatever.
I seem to recall something about the pre-Thunder folks being completely convinced Durant would bolt at first opportunity.
Predicting the future ... not really their specialty.
8^)

metro
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Then you sir, should venture down to Tulsa and see the Shock play in the BOK Center

http://shockfreeagentcamp.webs.com/Tulsa.jpg

actually Tulsa is north of here so he'd have to venture up. WNBA " the new Seattle pasttime"

StormFan93
07-08-2010, 11:41 AM
actually Tulsa is north of here so he'd have to venture up. WNBA " the new Seattle pasttime"

You're close. I'd say the Sounders are "The New Seattle Passtime", but according to NPR, "In Seattle, the WNBA reigns"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126907812

Kerry
07-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Oklahoma City Elevation: 1230 feet
Tulsa Elevation: 740 feet

You go down to Tulsa (even if it is North).

semisimple
07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
WNBA " the new Seattle pasttime"

Definitely better than cow-tipping or meth cooking, Oklahoma City's favorite pastimes.

dmoor82
07-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Oklahoma City's Too Small,Unatractive,and when KD's contract is up he bolt's outta there in a hurry!<-----this is what most people around The country thought,but everyone around The country now need's to know KD is here and is staying here for a while,And OKC is ON THE MAP!

StormFan93
07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Oklahoma City's Too Small,Unatractive,and when KD's contract is up he bolt's outta there in a hurry!<-----this is what most people around The country thought,but everyone around The country now need's to know KD is here and is staying here for a while,And OKC is ON THE MAP!

I think you're looking for the "Durant Signs a 5 year Extension" thread.

HOT ROD
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
I know there were some Seattle fanatics who pushed OKC around, but come on OKC folks - take the high road in this and just enjoy the team. ...

BDP
07-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Agreed. You can't really expect them to be supporters or anything. That's like expecting the guy who your girlfriend broke up with to be with you to like you. In most cases, it's not going to happen. And it really has nothing to do with size or culture, anyway. If the Seahawks left Seattle for LA, trust me, Seattle would hold the same contempt for the LA market and for their former team as they now do the Thunder.

Laramie
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Agreed. You can't really expect them to be supporters or anything. That's like expecting the guy who your girlfriend broke up with to be with you to like you. In most cases, it's not going to happen. And it really has nothing to do with size or culture, anyway. If the Seahawks left Seattle for LA, trust me, Seattle would hold the same contempt for the LA market and for their former team as they now do the Thunder.

Very well said, and as Hot Rot mentioned--let's take the high road on this one; it's part of our initiation into becoming a Big League City--it goes with the territory!

rcjunkie
07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
My 16 year old son leaves tomorrow for Lacey Washington to spend a few days with his older sister, had to make a trip to the Academy to buy new OKC Thunder T-Shirts to take with him.

Spartan
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
You're reading too much into it. I think many people would have read Thunder, and went who?

OK, you lost all your credibility.

If I were in Seattle I would be pretty upset still. Those on this forum know that I'm not good at letting things go. And I'm still upset about the Oilers leaving Houston, which actually ruined my childhood.

StormFan93
07-09-2010, 09:58 PM
OK, you lost all your credibility.

If I were in Seattle I would be pretty upset still. Those on this forum know that I'm not good at letting things go. And I'm still upset about the Oilers leaving Houston, which actually ruined my childhood.

You tell me the casual person who didn't go to or watch any games (and I'd probably call that a majority of people) at all would read Thunder and immediately know who they were? I really don't think so.

fuzzytoad
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
You tell me the casual person who didn't go to or watch any games (and I'd probably call that a majority of people) at all would read Thunder and immediately know who they were? I really don't think so.

we have a basketball team?

StormFan93
07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
we have a basketball team?

See. SEE!

Spartan
07-10-2010, 12:18 AM

I think you're underestimating the Thunder's visibility in Central Oklahoma. Try driving anywhere for more than 5 miles, months after the Playoffs, and not noticing a Thunder car flag. Back during March and April it was at least 1 out of 6 cars..you really started seeing them literally at every intersection and on every street you turned down, it was cool. Anytime something is new with the Thunder it is on the front page of the paper, the start of the evening news, and all anyone is talking about on the streets and in meetings.

This has become a very NBA city for the simple fact that we love the Thunder, and we have embraced them even more than they have embraced us. Another great example is how the Thunder shop downtown decided to have half-off sale one day without ANY advertising, and before lunch the line was out the Park Ave entrance of Leadership Square. During the Playoffs there was not a single TV in the city not tuned to the game and you could feel the tension and anxiety over the game in the air, and if you were walking through Bricktown or Midtown you would have probably been able to tell exactly how the Thunder were doing based on yells and cheers.

And then there was the matter of the little festival the Thunder held in Bricktown to kick off the Playoffs, which I am still disappointed I was out of town for. Thousands attended, major music artists performed outdoors, and Bricktown felt like a Rockefeller Plaza event crowd for one evening.

So you're going to tell me that the casual person who didn't go to the games at all would know who the Thunder are.. I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not know who the Thunder are, even if you're in another state, let alone Oklahoma. Sure I could understand a soccer mom in Beaverton not knowing who the Charlotte Bobcats were, since they're not really one of the NBA teams that have been in the news in a while, unless it has to do with their ownership, and that's one of many aspects of the NBA people do typically tune out. I do think that there are a handful of teams, presumably the Playoff teams from this year with a few Eastern Division exceptions, that I think over half of the US at least knows who they are, to say the least. The Thunder were the flavor of the year last season.

And in OKC, we can't help but fantasize about how they represent us as a community, with their outstanding character, family dynamic, and low-key modesty..despite being considerably more successful last season than most NBA teams that have been at it for much longer.

StormFan93
07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
I think you're underestimating the Thunder's visibility in Central Oklahoma. Try driving anywhere for more than 5 miles, months after the Playoffs, and not noticing a Thunder car flag. Back during March and April it was at least 1 out of 6 cars..you really started seeing them literally at every intersection and on every street you turned down, it was cool. Anytime something is new with the Thunder it is on the front page of the paper, the start of the evening news, and all anyone is talking about on the streets and in meetings.

This has become a very NBA city for the simple fact that we love the Thunder, and we have embraced them even more than they have embraced us. Another great example is how the Thunder shop downtown decided to have half-off sale one day without ANY advertising, and before lunch the line was out the Park Ave entrance of Leadership Square. During the Playoffs there was not a single TV in the city not tuned to the game and you could feel the tension and anxiety over the game in the air, and if you were walking through Bricktown or Midtown you would have probably been able to tell exactly how the Thunder were doing based on yells and cheers.

And then there was the matter of the little festival the Thunder held in Bricktown to kick off the Playoffs, which I am still disappointed I was out of town for. Thousands attended, major music artists performed outdoors, and Bricktown felt like a Rockefeller Plaza event crowd for one evening.

So you're going to tell me that the casual person who didn't go to the games at all would know who the Thunder are.. I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not know who the Thunder are, even if you're in another state, let alone Oklahoma. Sure I could understand a soccer mom in Beaverton not knowing who the Charlotte Bobcats were, since they're not really one of the NBA teams that have been in the news in a while, unless it has to do with their ownership, and that's one of many aspects of the NBA people do typically tune out. I do think that there are a handful of teams, presumably the Playoff teams from this year with a few Eastern Division exceptions, that I think over half of the US at least knows who they are, to say the least. The Thunder were the flavor of the year last season.

And in OKC, we can't help but fantasize about how they represent us as a community, with their outstanding character, family dynamic, and low-key modesty..despite being considerably more successful last season than most NBA teams that have been at it for much longer.

You're completely missing my point. I'm saying the casual person in Seattle wouldn't know who the Thunder are. It's not as if the team rebranding had major coverage up here in the Pacific Northwest. This entire thread is about how the Thunder were referred to as the "Ex-Sonics" in the Seattle Times. I don't disagree with anything you said, I understand how the team has been embraced in Oklahoma.

Spartan
07-10-2010, 01:06 AM

Well in this comment, I get the sense you are implying that if you aint in the Ford Center, you dunno WHO the Thunder are.

StormFan93
07-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Well in this comment, I get the sense you are implying that if you aint in the Ford Center, you dunno WHO the Thunder are.

But read it in context, because that sure as hell ain't what I'm implying.

TaoMaas
07-12-2010, 06:37 AM

So you're saying that folks in Seattle are a little slower than the rest of the country?

Laramie
07-12-2010, 07:28 AM
There were many folks in Seattle who didn't give a hoot about the Sonics so they aren't going to know about the Thunder!

StormFan93
07-12-2010, 11:11 AM
So you're saying that folks in Seattle are a little slower than the rest of the country?

Wow. Just wow. Why do you have to give me a hard time? I'M JUST SAYING A LOT OF PEOPLE DIDN'T CARE. They were on the bottom of the sporting totem pole. The Mariners haven't made the playoffs in nine years, but they still draw 27,000 a game. The Seahawks have been awful, but they still manage to sellout. The Sounders have shattered every MLS attendance record. Look, I loved the Sonics. They had a dedicated fan base. But they hadn't consistently sold out in years, after the losses piled up. And when the team did move, it's not like the front page story was "Former Sonics change name".

soonerfan_in_okc
07-13-2010, 09:36 PM
You're reading too much into it. I think many people would have read Thunder, and went who? You say "Ex-Sonics", and it resonates more with people.

So you think that there are many people who do not know the new name of the basketball team that left them after being in seattle for decades? How out of touch are you guys?

StormFan93
07-14-2010, 10:15 AM
So you think that there are many people who do not know the new name of the basketball team that left them after being in seattle for decades? How out of touch are you guys?

Well, they drew 13,355 in their final season in Seattle, and their TV ratings were below 1.0 (compare that to the Mariners 5.2). This is in a metropolitan area of 4.1 million. These numbers tell me the casual fans tuned out because the team had become so bad. Again, I stress that the team's name change wasn't front page news here. If you went downtown and just started asking people, I bet maybe 7-8 out of 10 would know who the Sonics were. However, only 4-5 would know who the Thunder were. Sports fans would know who the team is. But in a city where people fought tooth and nail over Safeco and Qwest Fields, yet easily passed a $200 million library levy for a new downtown library, I think there's plenty of non-sports fans, who didn't care about the Sonics, and are oblivious to the Thunder.

slimjimzv
07-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I have to back Stormfan a bit here. I'm from OKC but have recently lived in Atlanta and now live in Dallas. As a huge Thunder fan, I usually wear my playoff T-shirts and/or Thunder hat when I'm out and about and I've gotten quite a few people ask me 'What are the Thunder?'. It surprises me every time, but it does appear that the casual fan doesn't recognize the name just yet. But they will as soon as we win our first championship :)

HOT ROD
07-17-2010, 11:25 PM
keep in mind, 4.1m is the pop of greager puget sound. seattle metro is 3.2m - still a lot of folks but I seriously doubt all of puget sound has the consciousness of the Sonics or the Thunder, much less the appx 600,000 of the city of Seattle. ...

Laramie
07-18-2010, 10:59 AM
I have to back Stormfan a bit here. I'm from OKC but have recently lived in Atlanta and now live in Dallas. As a huge Thunder fan, I usually wear my playoff T-shirts and/or Thunder hat when I'm out and about and I've gotten quite a few people ask me 'What are the Thunder?'. It surprises me every time, but it does appear that the casual fan doesn't recognize the name just yet. But they will as soon as we win our first championship :)

The casual fans in this town does recognize the Thunder; people who don't recognize the Thunder in this city are not really fans of anything, certainly not sports fans.

I must admit though there are exception(s). I was attending an OSU-KSU in Stillwater (late 70s) at old Lewis Field when I came across a female who didn't know who the Sooners were? She was very well-dressed individual (cowgirl outfit); female, black, early twenties, yet she didn't know about the crosstown rival Sooners...

As I said, there are a few exceptions out there.