View Full Version : The old Split-T Bar and Grill

thelandrunner
06-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Greetings All!

Am seeking just a small bit of info. Would anyone happen to know what year the Split-T Bar and Grill (that used to be on N. Western Ave.) was first established and open for business? Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Generals64
07-11-2010, 04:47 PM
I know they were in business in 1962......But it was a northside hang out so I very seldom went over there.

USG'60
07-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I think it started after WWII.

lrostochil
07-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I read somewhere that it opened in 1953.

gen70
07-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I read that the place was named after the Split-T football formation which was first used in 1941 and the Sooners used during a 47 straight win streak in the 50's.

papaOU
07-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I read that the place was named after the Split-T football formation which was first used in 1941 and the Sooners used during a 47 straight win streak in the 50's.

That's the info I got!

OKC4me
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
OMG, was just in Johnnies having a burger, and there was a picture of the Split-T. It had the dates of 1953 to 2000 on it. Has it really been 13 years since it closed? Does anybody know why it closed? Was it owned by Johnnies?

OKCisOK4me
02-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I don't know why it was closed but my friends and I used to go there and kick it right around 2000 when there was a night club in it. I'm pretty sure the property was just bought out, cause it was dozed down and turned into newer development. If you drive down there, the Sonic is one of a kind because it's a Sonic with a flare of Split T (it's on their sign out front).

SoonerDave
02-11-2013, 01:58 PM
I worked in an office just north of Split-T during what I think was its final year in business, and the few times we went there it was a pale shadow of its former self. There was rarely a crowd, even at lunch time, and the burgers were only marginal. I think two guys were running the place at the time, and it looked really run down from the inside. Even the bar area which had been put in some years previous just looked like it wasn't being maintained.

When it was plowed down, the actual, original Split-T sign was preserved, and the Sonic that went up just south of the site now uses it. They have a special "Split-T" burger on their menu, and its pretty good -with that old Split-T hickory sauce...

Jim Kyle
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
The history of places like the Split-T, Hollie's, Bunny's, Dolores, is almost as tightly knit as is the history of Tex-Mex places in OKC. I can't say it started with the Stephens family, but they were one of the earliest when they opened Dolores at 33 NE 23 as one of the first drive-ins, and invented the term "car hop" while doing so. Their son Vince was one of the founders of the Split-T, and Johnnie's was started by a former head chef for them. Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off. And the young lady for whom Dolores was named lived until just a year or so ago...

SoonerDave
02-11-2013, 02:47 PM
I vividly remember Hollie's from when I was a kid, and loved that huge neon sign! I think I grew up in what was probably Hollie's last full, strong decade (or at least portion thereof) back in the 70's. Sadly, the name became tied with a rather nasty bar on S. Western for a time, but now apparently lives on as a steakhouse in Moore. Haven't been there yet...

There are some other lesser-known burger places that have come and gone through the years in OKC. A couple I remember very fondly are "Four Seasons," which was in a stripmall on NW 10th and I think either Council or Rockwell (I believe, not sure, but it was in that vicnity). They had a TREMENDOUS chili cheeseburger, and I recall during the summer my mom and I would meet my dad there for lunch once in a while (he worked in the area). The other place was a fairly popular local chain in its day called "Westoaks," which had really good steak sandwiches and had a hickory sauce burger that was really good. They were a drive-in, but later had sit-down service where you ordered off a menu through a telephone at the table. Sadly, the Westoaks restaurants just started closing down, and were finally gone one day. There were at least three locations I can think of, and they even advertised for a time on KTOK if memory serves.

ctchandler
02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Jim,
I believe the lady that owns bunnies worked for Joe of Joe's Onion Fried Burgers on fiftieth and Meridian. She bought it from him during the time that Joe's was one of my weekly lunch stops. I continued eating there when it became Bunnies because in my opinion, the food was the same. I guess it's possible that Joe had worked at Hollies, I don't know.
C. T.

Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off.

Jim Kyle
02-11-2013, 03:15 PM
Now that you mention it, I remember the Westoaks location at NW 10(or was it 23) and Rockwell, on the SE corner of the intersection, although I never ate there.

Across the Street was another good local chain, with the one I patronized being located on NW highway across from Baptist Hospital, next door to Hilander Bowling. The location later became a Crockett's, and is now a Panera Bread I believe although I don't keep track of that area any more...

Hollie's remains a vivid memory fpr me as the one and only place I ever tangled with ptomaine. While it's the sort of thing that can happen anywhere, it caused me to never go back -- but up until then I certainly enjoyed their bacon burgers!

ctchandler
02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Jim,
I hate to admit it, but I remember Hollie's as one of the places that sold beer (via car hop) to teenagers. I had my first beer, a Falstaff at Hollie's. I did enjoy their burgers and fries, but the beer is what I remember most.
C. T.

rezman
02-11-2013, 06:55 PM
There was a Westoaks on 39th street, just west of Rockwell in Bethany, and one on 10th and Rockwell. My dad used to take us there to eat. It was pretty good food. I don't recall where a third Westoaks was. My dad also took us to the Split T to eat from time to time. When I got older, I used to catch live music at the T Bar occasionally.

Tritone
02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
WestOaks was on the SE corner of 10th and Rockwell (actually just a shade south) and there was another on 39th. As for that one, I can't remember exactly which cross street.

I was a semi-regular at the one on tenth as that was my neck of the woods.

Four Seasons? It doesn't ring a bell. There's no strip mall at Council so I'm saying it must be Rockwell.

Thanks for the memories!

soonerguru
02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
OMG, was just in Johnnies having a burger, and there was a picture of the Split-T. It had the dates of 1953 to 2000 on it. Has it really been 13 years since it closed? Does anybody know why it closed? Was it owned by Johnnies?

It was never owned by Johnnie's, but Johnnie worked there at one time if memory serves. The theta sauce at Split-T was always the best, IMO. Johnnie's, however, was a "nicer" place.

The T-bar was a minor hang in the early 90s.

The building was bought out so Sonic could put in another freaking location. They kept the sign like some kind of demented trophy. When they first opened, they had a "theta" burger on the menu, but it was just their lame hickory sauce, not theta sauce. Sad.

zookeeper
02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
It was never owned by Johnnie's, but Johnnie worked there at one time if memory serves. The theta sauce at Split-T was always the best, IMO. Johnnie's, however, was a "nicer" place.

The T-bar was a minor hang in the early 90s.

The building was bought out so Sonic could put in another freaking location. They kept the sign like some kind of demented trophy. When they first opened, they had a "theta" burger on the menu, but it was just their lame hickory sauce, not theta sauce. Sad.

The T-Bar, I had forgot about that. I went there with a friend to see The Wake aka Wakeland. I wonder whatever happened to them?

CitySlickR
02-12-2013, 06:03 AM
Jim Kyle mentioning Hollies reminds me a a lady fisherman I met once. In talking she said her sister owned Hollies. I think she said her sister was the owner who sold the location to McDonalds for a good sum. Anyway ... this lady said she remebered well her sister doing all the cooking and her all the car hopping at times because just like today sometimes good help is hard to get. Too bad we are losing all those independents. The big box boys are all so cookie cutter in every way.

Midtowner
02-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I used to have regular gigs out there on (I think) Monday nights. Played fiddle in a band. Their backstage accommodations were alright. At the time I was up there, I was trying out new fiddles and I think I played one gig with a 300 year old instrument. In retrospect, that was unwise.

RadicalModerate
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Maybe this has already been mentioned, but when did the Split-T NOT serve beer and burgers? I moved here in about '74 and only ate at the Split-T a couple of times (and it was very good, btw) as I was living way out on the East side/MWC, but it seems like it was always a bit like a bar rather than just a good burger place.

Speaking of old, independent, burger places . . . Does anyone else remember a place called "Little's" over on 23rd at about Rockwell or MacArthur? I thought their food--"burgers"--was excellent . . .

Achilleslastand
02-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Speaking of good burgers does anyone remember the small place across from McGuinness HS{west side of HS}i believe it was called Tommys? Served very small burgers something like 3 or 4 for a dollar. There was also McMahons on NW 36th around walker or so that had very good burgers and hand cut fries.

ctchandler
02-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Wasn't Rusty Hilger (the OSU/NFL quarterback) the last owner of the Split-T? I know he had it for a while and I think when he closed the place, that was the end of the Split-T.
C. T.

BlackmoreRulz
02-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Just an FYI, but the Split-T Theta sauce is now available in stores, my son loves the stuff.

soonerguru
02-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Just an FYI, but the Split-T Theta sauce is now available in stores, my son loves the stuff.

We buy it, and it's pretty damn close. I'm not sure if it's the real deal 100%, but we make thetas every once in a while and they're a big hit here with the store-bought Split-T sauce.

RadicalModerate
02-12-2013, 09:50 PM
Is it possible that Johnnie's is marketing the Theta Sauce? I think I only ordered a Theta Burger once . . . (and I seem to recall that I liked it). Is Theta Sauce a "multitasker" . . .? In terms of using it to add some great taste to chicken or fish?

Mel
02-12-2013, 10:53 PM
That sonic on that spot serves a theta burger but have no idea how close it is to the original.

Achilleslastand
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
That sonic on that spot serves a theta burger but have no idea how close it is to the original.

Its not close at all to what was there beforehand.

RadicalModerate
02-13-2013, 12:59 AM
i would have to agree . . . yet i remain troubled . . . especially in the area of "neigh"-saying . . . =)
(at least they ain't a-sellin' horse by-products . . . like over there in that nasty spot the other side of the atlantic . . . are they calling it the European Union now 'r whut? ) =)

Stay Tuned . . .=) for . . . why not to buy or buy Authentic Chorizo based on the packaging . . .

if ya stop t' think aboudit . . . maybe if a different letter of the Thetalphabet . . . involving Phi or Pi . . . nah that formula don't work.

The Split-T on Western was an Icon of Excellence in Mastering the Art of Drive-Ins (without a movie screen t' distract ya)
The Burgers were out of this world . . . and even better than the burgers o' the past!

pedmond
02-13-2013, 09:26 AM
Speaking of good burgers does anyone remember the small place across from McGuinness HS{west side of HS}i believe it was called Tommys? Served very small burgers something like 3 or 4 for a dollar. There was also McMahons on NW 36th around walker or so that had very good burgers and hand cut fries.

There was a drive through about 52nd and Western that was called Cherry's. In high school( I went to Harding back in the sixties), we used to hang out there and at the Split-T. Cherry's burgers were small and were somewhat similar to Quicks burgers. Also, there was a hamburger place on the SE corner of 49th and N Western called Tommy's. I'm not sure if I ever ate at Tommy's, because in high school we referred to it as Tommy's Ptomaine Temple. I never heard of anyone ever getting food poisoning there, but just the same we stayed away. The location of Tommy's later became Abrahams, which now is located a block or so south on Western.

OKCNDN
02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Is it possible that Johnnie's is marketing the Theta Sauce? I think I only ordered a Theta Burger once . . . (and I seem to recall that I liked it). Is Theta Sauce a "multitasker" . . .? In terms of using it to add some great taste to chicken or fish?
Yes Johnnie's has a Theta burger but they are using the theta sauce and calling it Johnnie's sauce. Last time I went to Johnnie's, on Memorial, it was SO expensive. Over $35 just for three of us. A friend said they raised their prices to ridiculous amounts for a very short period of time but they now have come down a bit. I will have to give them another try.

I used to go see band at the ol' Split-T as many others have. Fanny Grace on Wednesday nights was our time at the T. I wonder what happened to them.

SoonerDave
02-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes Johnnie's has a Theta burger but they are using the theta sauce and calling it Johnnie's sauce. Last time I went to Johnnie's, on Memorial, it was SO expensive. Over $35 just for three of us. A friend said they raised their prices to ridiculous amounts for a very short period of time but they now have come down a bit. I will have to give them another try.

I used to go see band at the ol' Split-T as many others have. Fanny Grace on Wednesday nights was our time at the T. I wonder what happened to them.

Yeah, in addition to the fact I've cut down on burgers as part of my general effort to lose weight, I will say we've not visited Johnnie's nearly as often due to their prices. Realize everyone's prices are going up, restaurants/food aren't cheap, but their prices just became out of sight for hamburgers. Good burgers, to be sure, but at some point, the expense was just too much.

rezman
02-22-2013, 03:18 PM
There was a drive through about 52nd and Western that was called Cherry's. In high school( I went to Harding back in the sixties), we used to hang out there and at the Split-T. Cherry's burgers were small and were somewhat similar to Quicks burgers. Also, there was a hamburger place on the SE corner of 49th and N Western called Tommy's. I'm not sure if I ever ate at Tommy's, because in high school we referred to it as Tommy's Ptomaine Temple. I never heard of anyone ever getting food poisoning there, but just the same we stayed away. The location of Tommy's later became Abrahams, which now is located a block or so south on Western.

A guy I work with, who is in his early 60's, mentioned a drive inn he used to go to as a kid called Cherry's and he said it was over on Northwest Highway east of May. He described Charcoal Oven, but I explained to him that Charcoal Oven has always been Charcoal Oven. So this clarifies that Cherry's was indeed east of May Ave, but much further east than he described. About two miles further east.

I'll have to tell him this next time I see him at work.

bluedogok
02-23-2013, 11:13 AM
The history of places like the Split-T, Hollie's, Bunny's, Dolores, is almost as tightly knit as is the history of Tex-Mex places in OKC. I can't say it started with the Stephens family, but they were one of the earliest when they opened Dolores at 33 NE 23 as one of the first drive-ins, and invented the term "car hop" while doing so. Their son Vince was one of the founders of the Split-T, and Johnnie's was started by a former head chef for them. Along the way Hollie's invented the bacon burger, and Bunny's is, I believe, a spin-off from there. Charcoal Oven was also, I've heard, a Stephens spin-off. And the young lady for whom Dolores was named lived until just a year or so ago...
Johnnie Haynes was the manager at Split-T before opening Johnnie's. I think Howard of Howard's Charbroiler on Western where The Iguana (or somewhere in that area) was the manager after Johnnie at Split-T.

Johnnie's Charbroiler - About Us (http://johnniesburgers.com/about-johnnie-s)

I remember quite a few places having the Theta burger and ones very similar to it, Interurban at Northpark Mall and Norman had one and Charcoal Oven had one similar.

Now that you mention it, I remember the Westoaks location at NW 10(or was it 23) and Rockwell, on the SE corner of the intersection, although I never ate there.
I grew up going to Westoaks at NW 10th & Rockwell. We also went to the Jolly Roger on NW 23rd just east off Ann Arbor next the former railroad tracks, the last thing that I remember in there was a Monterey Jack's.

Where do they sell it? Might have to pick some up the next time we are in town.

Bigrayok
02-23-2013, 10:58 PM
Little's was located in the same location as the Jolly Rodger at 23rd and Ann Arbor. It was mentioned that Rusty Hilger owned the Split T. He was the second to the last owner I believe. People may recall he paged the wrong number to get some cocaine that turned out to be a Blanchard police officer's pager number. That was the beginning of the end of his ownership of the Split T. Two young guys in their twenties or early thirties were the last owners of the Split T, I think. I have always enjoyed the hickory sauce at the Split T, Johnnies, and Charcoal Oven. I ate a good burger today at a place called the Rib Shack at Reno and Council in the old Stan's BBQ location. Some of the best burgers I have had have been in BBQ's. Earl's has good burgers. Burgers and BBQ-Two of my favorite subjects.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
02-24-2013, 08:31 AM
Little's was located in the same location as the Jolly Rodger at 23rd and Ann Arbor.
Bigray in Ok
I forgot about that....any relation to Coach Little?

BlackmoreRulz
02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Where do they sell it? Might have to pick some up the next time we are in town.

Crest

boscorama
02-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Crest

Yesterday I looked for it at Edmond Crest, to no avail. Store was mobbed though, so it could've been sold out.

Dubya61
02-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Yesterday I looked for it at Edmond Crest, to no avail. Store was mobbed though, so it could've been sold out.

Sadly, I don't always follow my own advice, but: "Never go shopping when the TV weathermen are foaming at the mouth."

RadicalModerate
02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Sadly, I don't always follow my own advice, but: "Never go shopping when the TV weathermen are foaming at the mouth."

Objection: What does this have to do with the Split-T on Western? =)
(oops . . . sorry . . . i guess the reference was to "hunkerin' down" in the face of a harsh winter's storm involving some snow flurries . . . say! d' ya suppose that all of that Television Weather Panic is a subliminal ad paid for by Crest and Walmart? Nah . . . no way . . .)

OKCNDN
02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Objection: What does this have to do with the Split-T on Western? =)
(oops . . . sorry . . . i guess the reference was to "hunkerin' down" in the face of a harsh winter's storm involving some snow flurries . . . say! d' ya suppose that all of that Television Weather Panic is a subliminal ad paid for by Crest and Walmart? Nah . . . no way . . .)

Not for Watonga, Calumet and Okarche. They are getting hammered right now. The storm has hardly moved at all in the last few hours.

RadicalModerate
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
At the risk of sounding selfish . . . maybe all of this will help partially re-fill Canton Lake?
(and what does any of this have to do with the Split-T on Western . . ? =)

Just out of curiosity OKCNDN . . . Did you ever live somewhere when it snowed--A LOT--in the wintertime?
(i'm not sure that "hammered" is the correct term . . . "blessed" maybe?)

It's one of those "yielding to 'The "Great" ""Spirit"" things . . . isn't it? =)
Weather or Not 'you' Agree. Well . . . isn't it?

boscorama
02-25-2013, 06:48 PM

Don't tell RM but I was actually looking for Little Piggy's sauce. The name Little is featured in this thread and I'm pretty sure someone on that (other) thread mentioned Crest. Split-T sauce might have been at Crest but I wasn't going to buy any unless it was Piggy's, as I still have half a bottle of Head Country and don't use much anyway.

OKCNDN
02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
At the risk of sounding selfish . . . maybe all of this will help partially re-fill Canton Lake?
(and what does any of this have to do with the Split-T on Western . . ? =)

Just out of curiosity OKCNDN . . . Did you ever live somewhere when it snowed--A LOT--in the wintertime?
(i'm not sure that "hammered" is the correct term . . . "blessed" maybe?)

It's one of those "yielding to 'The "Great" ""Spirit"" things . . . isn't it? =)
Weather or Not 'you' Agree. Well . . . isn't it?

Hey for OK it's alot. They don't have a bunch of snow plows around there you know.