View Full Version : Cinemark Tinseltown

BBatesokc
06-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I was checking local movies times today and noticed that the Cinemark Tinseltown is still closed after damage from the storms. This is actually the theater of choice for our family. Does anyone know when they plan on reopening?

chrisokc
06-24-2010, 03:14 AM
How long has it been shut down? I saw the A Team there on the 13th. I was wanting to see Toy Story 3 there this weekend when I found out it was closed.

BigBadBen
06-24-2010, 09:40 AM
I called last week.

I want to say they planned on re-opening the 24th, today.
Don't quote me on that, but it seems like that is what they said.

The guy I talked to said they had pretty extensive flood damage.

chrisokc
06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
I checked fandango and they have movie times listed for tomorrow finally, so I'm assuming they'll be open.

barnold
06-26-2010, 11:09 AM
They're open minus one theatre that now has an open air view.

kevinpate
06-26-2010, 02:18 PM
They're open minus one theatre that now has an open air view.

They could always yank out the seats and let the crotch rocketeers have their own drive-in for the summer.

barnold
06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Stadium style seating could make it interesting getting the bike and a date up the ramp, but then again you could sell tickets just to watch em' park.

SoonerQueen
07-08-2010, 12:18 AM
We went there Tuesday night. They were open with new carpet and the place was nice and clean. I hope they put a strong roof on. Looks like we have more rain coming.

Pete
08-08-2019, 09:04 AM
Looks like they will be soon adding alcohol.

They filed a special use permit.

Patrick
08-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Looks like they will be soon adding alcohol.

They filed a special use permit.

How well does this theater do?

Mel
08-09-2019, 05:43 AM
Most times I have been by this theatre, it's seems to be doing well. Never a parking problem. The lot is almost big enough for a Mall.

Pete
09-06-2019, 01:27 PM
They have applied to sell alcohol.

Teo9969
09-08-2019, 08:12 PM
Pretty hard to beat <$10.00 for two people to go see a matinee. I can't get a single ticket at AMC Penn for that. And honestly, the viewing experience is not *that* much better at AMC Penn.

Jeepnokc
09-08-2019, 09:45 PM
Pretty hard to beat <$10.00 for two people to go see a matinee. I can't get a single ticket at AMC Penn for that. And honestly, the viewing experience is not *that* much better at AMC Penn.

Same with AMC Crossroads. We go there often because it is cheap and still a good movie experience without all the crowds.

Dob Hooligan
09-09-2019, 12:49 PM
I always thought it would be a good idea for Tinsletown to team up with the Cowboy Hall and Remington Park to create some kind of special "Western Movies Theater". A space with western design and themes. Showing westerns always. Not gonna be big, some would not draw flies. But could give it an identity and tie in with the large western and horse interest in the neighborhood.

I know the Cowboy Hall has (or had) a room that shows old black and white westerns.

Jeepnokc
12-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Took the kiddos yesterday to catch matinee. $4.75 head, It is reserved seating and they have replaced the chairs. They are not recliners but the are larger and rock so you can lean back. Theater and restrooms were clean. Plenty of staff at concessions. Only complaint was there is a $1.75 per ticket charge to buy ticket online. We just bought at ticket counter. I never have gotten the let me pay you to make your labor costs less .

Thomas Vu
12-30-2019, 07:19 AM
If anybody isn't a stubs member I have little keychain tags that will let you get discounted concessions, and I think discounted movies on Tuesday if anybody is interested?

scottk
12-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Only complaint was there is a $1.75 per ticket charge to buy ticket online. We just bought at ticket counter. I never have gotten the let me pay you to make your labor costs less . .

A "convenience fee" charged more than likely by the hosting company that handles the ticketing, much like TicketMaster for concerts.

We did the same thing, we were going to purchase online but after seeing the fee per ticket, stood in line outside of Cinemark and purchased at the ticket window. I'll agree that a 36% fee per ticket is high.

Did wish Cinemark had self-serve kiosk inside to prevent long lines outside when weather isn't great.

Other than that, theatre was clean, popcorn was fresh, facility was older, but not tired.

Pete
12-30-2019, 08:01 AM
They should be serving liquor soon if not already.

scottk
12-30-2019, 11:51 AM
They should be serving liquor soon if not already.

Did not see liquor sales yesterday (of course it was before noon).

However, from the last time I visited, I noticed the partnership with Pizza Hut and serving whole small pizzas for around $10. I thought that was an interesting concession offering. They had three or four different offerings with a large time stamp of when it was made.

Pete
12-30-2021, 08:21 AM
Building permit filed:

CONVERSION OF 20 AUDITORIUMS FROM TRADITIONAL CINEMA SEATING TO PREMIUM LOUNGER FACILITY, REQUIRING THE MODIFICATION OF SEATING PLATFORMS TO ACCOMMODATE THE LARGER SEAT REQUIREMENT AND THE PLACEMENT OF DBOX SEATING IN AUDITORIUMS 8, 10XD, AND 11XD. ALONG WITH A RECLINER CONVERSION, AUDITORIUM 11 IS CONVERTED TO A PREMIUM LARGE FORMAT (XD), INCLUDING THE ADDITION OF A DEMISING WALL, AND MODIFICATIONS TO THE AUDITORIUM ENTRY. MINOR ADJUSTMENTS MADE TO AUDITORIUM FINISHES TO ACCOMMODATE CHANGES MADE TO SEATING PLATFORMS AND PROJECTION PORTS. UPDATES TO THE RESTROOM PARTITIONS AND RESTROOM ACCESSORIES TO COMPLY WITH ADA STANDARDS. UPDATES TO THE BOX OFFICE SOFFITS AND NOW SHOWING SIGNAGE FOR THREE OUT OF THE FOUR WINDOWS AT THE THEATRE ENTRY. UPDATES TO THE MINI MARQUEES AT EACH AUDITORIUM ENTRY.

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cinemark121721a.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cinemark2.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cinemark3.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cinemark5.jpg

HTTP://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cinemark6.jpg

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 10:03 AM
I wish they would landscape the lot better.

runOKC
12-30-2021, 10:10 AM
I wish they would landscape the lot better.
What, you don’t think a bunch of red dirt and Bermuda grass is sufficient? /s

You are right, this lot is highly visible from the highway and it’s absolutely bare bones.

shawnw
12-30-2021, 12:41 PM
They should build more on it, too (like more restaurants for inbound movie goers -- these would also be seen and used by highway drivers), I have NEVER seen the lot even close to completely full.

Pete
12-30-2021, 12:47 PM
^

Again, those huge parking lots are required by local codes.

I know there was a lot of talk of just abolishing them altogether, but I haven't heard much about it lately.

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 01:01 PM
I don’t think they should be abolished but they definitely need to have more variances allowed.

Pete
12-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Many cities don't have parking codes. OKC doesn't have any at all downtown and in all the urban districts.

The thought is that it's up to the business/property owner to worry about that and if they think they can make something work without an ocean of their own parking, that's up to them.

If the city is going to require all these parking spaces, they should also require much more landscaping. They've upped this slightly, but not nearly enough.

fortpatches
12-30-2021, 01:45 PM
Again, those huge parking lots are required by local codes.

There are other codes at work too. Here is their Landscaping and Screening Code:

(2)Landscaping and Screening
(a)In addition to the general landscaping requirements of Article XI, Landscaping and Screening Regulations, a minimum of five percent of the front and side yard areas of each property shall be landscaped on all properties, except single-family residential.
(b)A landscaping plan shall be required as part of the site plan submitted for a building permit. This plan shall show detailed landscape treatment of the area within the street right-of-way between the property line and the curb, and all other areas to be landscaped, as stipulated and required by this section. If landscaping is to be used for sight-proof screening, the entire plan may be contained in a single submission.
(c)It shall be the responsibility of the property owner to maintain, in good condition, all of the improvements required by this section. Any landscape vegetation which dies shall be replaced.

(3)Maintenance of Existing Trees
(a)A sketch plan showing the location and approximate diameter and height of all existing healthy trees within the property shall be required as part of the site plan submittal for a building permit. This shall include all trees in excess of six inches in diameter, as measured two feet above the tree base. These trees shall be classified as significant trees. Structures and paved areas shall be sited in such a way as to ensure the preservation of significant tree specimens where possible, provided that significant trees may be removed if certified as diseased by a duly qualified arborist.
(b)Clearing, grubbing and site grading shall be conducted in such a fashion so as to avoid damage to, and disturbance of, significant trees and/or tree clusters.

Chapter 59, Article 13, SS 59-13650.9 (D).

I can't easily tell how many seats they have in the theater and the permit didn't mention the total number of seats, but their original Planned Unit Development document (https://data.okc.gov/portal/page/documentsearch?searchType=zoning&searchValue=PUD-598) required one (1) parking space for every 3.75 theater seats.
It also required 10% landscaped open space (areas not covered by buildings, drives, or parking).

So I think they probably meet their 10% requirement. And could probably do a bit better if they wanted to.

EDIT:
If anyone is interested, the Landscape Requirements are at Chapter 59, Article 11, SS 59-11250.
Section E includes landscaping for Automotive Parking Lot landscape requirements. Including the internal landscaped areas like islands and peninsulas.
This stuff gets complicated with all their points and everything. o.O

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 03:04 PM
Many cities don't have parking codes. OKC doesn't have any at all downtown and in all the urban districts.

The thought is that it's up to the business/property owner to worry about that and if they think they can make something work without an ocean of their own parking, that's up to them.

If the city is going to require all these parking spaces, they should also require much more landscaping. They've upped this slightly, but not nearly enough.
I’m trying to understand the reason behind requiring this much parking if it’s never used? Seriously I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever seen the far out spaces used.

Pete
12-30-2021, 03:06 PM
I’m trying to understand the reason behind requiring this much parking if it’s never used? Seriously I can’t think of a time when I’ve ever seen the far out spaces used.

You could say that about almost every big parking lot in OKC.

I've never, ever not been able to find a spot anywhere in this town.

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 03:33 PM
You could say that about almost every big parking lot in OKC.

I've never, ever not been able to find a spot anywhere in this town.
Anytime anyone in Oklahoma City ever complains about parking I want to bust out laughing. It’s also hard not to laugh when I park at a big box store, walk up to the entrance, and see a car circling around looking for a spot that was doing the same thing when I first pulled in.

Pete
12-30-2021, 03:42 PM
Anytime anyone in Oklahoma City ever complains about parking I want to bust out laughing. It’s also hard not to laugh when I park at a big box store, walk up to the entrance, and see a car circling around looking for a spot that was doing the same thing when I first pulled in.

I can think of many stores in SoCal where I couldn't find a space at all.

Many was the time I just returned another time or parked far away and hiked.

That has never happened in my non-continuous 35 years in OKC. A few years ago, I was even able to find a free on-street space near Bricktown on NYE.

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 03:51 PM
I can think of many stores in SoCal where I couldn't find a space at all.

Many was the time I just returned another time or parked far away and hiked.

That has never happened in my non-continuous 35 years in OKC. A few years ago, I was even able to find a free on-street space near Bricktown on NYE.
I had that issue with Trader Joe’s in Toluca lake. Not only was the lot gridlocked but all street parking was occupied for blocks. I tried parking in a red zone(not near a fire hydrant) for just 5 mins and I got a ticket. Never even saw the parking enforcement. We are definitely blessed with parking but there is also a negative to it with how dependent people become and won’t want to go anywhere if they can’t park right there.

It’s one of my biggest gripes about people here. Too many lazy people. Even if you want to plan a hike or a walk the relative humidity has to be just so and if they see a cloud they’ll cancel saying it might rain. I jest of course but I did have a lady friend of mine who canceled on me once because she claimed she couldn’t find parking and wanted me to come out and go somewhere else. I was already inside and I just ignored it. Frustrating.

Pete
12-30-2021, 03:57 PM
^

I know that TJ's -- always slammed.

When I lived in Manhattan Beach, there was a TJ's near me and on my way home from work. I'd actually go out of my way to avoid it because cars were almost always parked in traffic, backed up from the lot.

Anyway, show me a parking lot in OKC and I'll show you one that is 90% vacant the large majority of the time.

Plutonic Panda
12-30-2021, 04:24 PM
Yeah I’m legitimately trying to think of the most used lot that comes to mind. I want to say Costco but even then that lot is 3/4 full at most and that’s rare. I think the busiest lot that comes to mind is the target lot by Quail Springs. Even that one always has parking available.

SoonerQueen
12-31-2021, 12:51 AM
I wish they would add at least one or maybe 2 family bathrooms, It makes those of us with children or handicapped people go to the bathroom there. I love that theater. It's our theater of choice. I hope the remodeling won't mean that the ticket prices will go up.

scottk
12-31-2021, 08:31 AM
I wish they would add at least one or maybe 2 family bathrooms, It makes those of us with children or handicapped people go to the bathroom there. I love that theater. It's our theater of choice. I hope the remodeling won't mean that the ticket prices will go up.

+1.

We purposely go out of our way to Tinseltown because it is not a "fully immersive refinance your house for a night out" experience. Cheaper movie tickets for a family/group and the place is well kept and concession prices are reasonable.

Not every theatre needs to be a Mathis Brothers La-Z-Boy studio. I'm afraid this remodel will justify raising of prices as well.