View Full Version : What are some thoughts on the Miller area?

adaniel
06-23-2010, 08:42 AM
So, I'm currently planning on moving to a new place from my current location off Northwest Expressway in about a month. I will be renting, not buying, a new place somewhere closer to the city center and I have a few places in mind. One is a loft-style apartment in midtown. It’s an amazing place complete with hardwood floors, great skyline views, etc., but it’s a little on the high side for me price wise. I have since come across an ad for a duplex off 13th and May in the Miller area. Honestly, just driving through it, I can’t really make a decision of the neighborhood. It seems like it’s really a street-to-street change in terms of the condition of it. Is anyone else familiar with this area. What are some thoughts from people who are more familiar with OKC?

EBAH
06-23-2010, 10:07 AM
I live over there. I technically live in Crestwood but on the dividing line facing Miller. It is a really great neighborhood. Miller and Crestwood is generally, from my observation, a mix of Guatemalan and other hispanic families as well as a lot of young hipper married couples, gay couples, and young professionals. Mixed in with all of that, there are a few huge stately homes. The neighborhood has a "rough" feel in places, but I've lived there for over 2 years and have yet to experience any crime. It is still advisable to use common sense, have an alarm, and not leave stuff in your car overnight. It is a very conveniently located neighborhood if you need to go downtown frequently, and is well placed for access to the rest of the inner city as well. It is pretty quiet at night, and miller avenue is well lit and perfect for walking/jogging in the evenings. I bicycle frequently from the neighborhood to downtown/midtown/paseo etc,and find it to be very easy and quick. Miller has a proactive neighborhood association and has meetings and block parties. Altogether it is a great place, but everyone has different preferences.

Spartan
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Great neighborhood.

workman45
06-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I live on 13th, moved in a year ago, and have had no problems except traffic during the State Fair .

adaniel
06-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Thank you very much for the reviews. The place I went to go look out was alright. It was off 13th Street just east of Ross. Unfortunately, it just wasn't going to work for me personally (plus, the owner of the Midtown condo I was looking at halved the deposit, so I'll be a new resident of Midtown in late July. Yay!!) It does seem like a great neighborhood, and the "rough" factor seems to go away once you get further from May, NW 10th, or NW 23rd. Lots of well manicured homes, families walking around, etc. If I decided to buy in a few years I may have to give Miller a second look. Thanks again!